PDA

View Full Version : Decided to Jump In and Buy

Nimmo55
06-13-17, 10:35 PM
Been lurking in this forum for a while trying to work out if was going to purchase. Misgivings because I am into realism in a big way with my subsimming; loved DW for that reason, and continued playing years after it become visually obsolete. And tried to use as many SH5 mods all about realism. That just floats my boat, if you forgive the analogy. And CW seemed more arcady and seemed to compromise important (to me, you understand) parts of the functioning of a sub on the alter of wide appeal.

BUT having read reviews, watched videos and read the to and fro on this and other forums, and realising that we actually need to support financially what few houses there are producing sub simulations, decided to jump in. The other thing that has become very apparent is that there is a dedicated and talented group of simmers out there who think like me, and unlike me, can actually put their preferences into being by modding the game to get closer to that fabled cup of a 'realistic' modern subsim. In short, I have no doubt that the developers, who seem really responsive, and the modding community, will together take this sim in the direction I think it should go. I'm certain of it. So...money where mouth is and buy. Which I did and look forward to trading blows this weekend with the Soviet navy.

So, if there are other lurkers out there, hovering on the edge trying to decide whether to purchase, and not sure because it is not quite what you want to see in a modern subsim, I urge you to pay your sheckles if you can and jump in. This sim seems to be supported by responsive developers and an enthusiastic modding community, and if we want to see more sub sims, then the very best thing we can do is support.

Just my view.

Apoll

FPSchazly
06-13-17, 10:39 PM
Been lurking in this forum for a while trying to work out if was going to purchase. Misgivings because I am into realism in a big way with my subsimming; loved DW for that reason, and continued playing years after it become visually obsolete. And tried to use as many SH5 mods all about realism. That just floats my boat, if you forgive the analogy. And CW seemed more arcady and seemed to compromise important (to me, you understand) parts of the functioning of a sub on the alter of wide appeal.

BUT having read reviews, watched videos and read the to and fro on this and other forums, and realising that we actually need to support financially what few houses there are producing sub simulations, decided to jump in. The other thing that has become very apparent is that there is a dedicated and talented group of simmers out there who think like me, and unlike me, can actually put their preferences into being by modding the game to get closer to that fabled cup of a 'realistic' modern subsim. In short, I have no doubt that the developers, who seem really responsive, and the modding community, will together take this sim in the direction I think it should go. I'm certain of it. So...money where mouth is and buy. Which I did and look forward to trading blows this weekend with the Soviet navy.

So, if there are other lurkers out there, hovering on the edge trying to decide whether to purchase, and not sure because it is not quite what you want to see in a modern subsim, I urge you to pay your sheckles if you can and jump in. This sim seems to be supported by responsive developers and an enthusiastic modding community, and if we want to see more sub sims, then the very best thing we can do is support.

Just my view.

Apoll

Hear, hear! :Kaleun_Cheers:

max-peck
06-14-17, 01:12 AM
Hear, hear! :Kaleun_Cheers:

I'll see you a hear hear, and raise you a hear hear :03:

Absolutely frikkin fantastic game

PS
Really Like your live stream FPSchazly

Its what made me buy this game:D:D

Onkel Neal
06-14-17, 03:14 PM
Nimmo, I really think overall CW is a really solid game that covers an era of sub warfare that has been overlooked since RSR. Let's us know how you like it.

FPSchazly
06-14-17, 03:22 PM
I'll see you a hear hear, and raise you a hear hear :03:

Absolutely frikkin fantastic game

PS
Really Like your live stream FPSchazly

Its what made me buy this game:D:D

Thank you! Glad to hear it :up:

Haukka81
06-14-17, 03:27 PM
Nimmo, I really think overall CW is a really solid game that covers an era of sub warfare that has been overlooked since RSR. Let's us know how you like it.

I agree , same feeling.

This will be great (sim)game after patch or two more. (UI , crew sounds )

I hope that dev's keep their orginal vision (rsr like game) and wont go turn this onto DW wanna be.

:yep:

Outeniqua
06-14-17, 06:04 PM
Buuuut... what I wouldn't give for a DW with this graphics engine though. ;)

Still on the fence to grab Cold Waters, my resistance is whittling down more and more with each of FPSChazly's streams. Probably will cop and buy it soon.

Nimmo55
06-14-17, 08:05 PM
Yes Neal. Will get into it in a big way this weekend. Regardless, I know it's only going to improve...very confident of that, and the active modding community is going to start introducing those reaousm mods to take it past where the developers stop. So, either way, I think I'm going to like it. Must support in any case: so few studios developing subsims,which is a real shame. Since probably my favourite simulation.

Apoll

Silversides236
06-14-17, 11:39 PM
Decided to buy this game after playing SH4/5 for a while I wanted something new so pulled the trigger and I am happy with it figured out how to use wired torps pretty fast looking forward to future mods and happy hunting my friends :Kaleun_Cheers:

basti107
06-15-17, 12:33 AM
Playing this "game" gives me a special feeling. A mix of reading Red Storm Rising and watching a movie. :Kaleun_Applaud:

Echo76
06-15-17, 05:33 AM
I agree , same feeling.

This will be great (sim)game after patch or two more. (UI , crew sounds )

I hope that dev's keep their orginal vision (rsr like game) and wont go turn this onto DW wanna be.

:yep:

True! Don't make this a DW wannabe, make it superior! Arcade players are happy with this but I think there needs to be options for the hardcore crowd too.

Outeniqua
06-15-17, 09:07 PM
I place the blame fully at FPSChazly and Jive Turkey's feet. Finally copped and bought it. I found my biggest enemy so far, is forgetting that 'S' is planes up, not down. (Or did I mix that up again? FFS, I'm gonna die again.)

Looks like enemy units can now take more than one lick to take out. Nice seeing enemy subs trying to content with depth control after a hit. Also had a bug in the Typhoon Mission. Managed to kill all the SSN's, then the Typhoon driver cheated and enabled wall hax. He clipped into an iceberg, no damage, but was impossible to kill. Torps obviously just hit the iceberg he clipped into.

Overall, I am enjoying it immensely. Its not a replacement for Silent Hunter or Dangerous Waters. IMO, it's silly to compare them. Three vastly different titles, each tickling the their individual spot to keep me interested.

U-Cass
06-16-17, 05:12 AM
I must admit to being on the fence here. I have seen the videos and wonder how much actual simulation is there and how simple the equations actually are within cold waters. It looks too much like an arcade game compared to my all time favorite DW.
However after re-installing DW on my windows 10 and getting it to work. I am also seeing how much time I have to spend to classify contacts and do the TMA (yep. Manual stations no auto crew) and where I was much younger then and had the free time I am starting to feel a Cold Waters game may scratch the itch without the time sink.

Also I would rather play with the mouse. In dangerous waters the only time I used the keyboard was doing a range marker on the map.

PL_Harpoon
06-16-17, 05:27 AM
I'd say like that. With Cold Waters realism lies in different places that in DW.

It is realistic in a sense that you are a captain of a sub, bothered only by things that should bother a captain. The crew does the rest.
For example, there are no ghost towed array contacts, but you'd expect a competent sonar crew to sort them out. There's no TMA, but if you wanted a faster solutions getting different angles really helps.

Just like a real captain your main goal here is to make tactical decisions how to approach given tasks.

However even within this mindset there's still room for improvements realism-wise, but if things will go in a current direction I believe we can get there.