PDA

View Full Version : Who else still plays SM's Pirates?

CaptainRamius
11-19-15, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,
Today I have a question for you all. Who here still plays Sid Meir's Pirates?
I love this game so much! I am extremely happy that they have made an iPad version, so I can enjoy being a pirate on the go. If anyone wants to know, Sid Meir's Pirates is an open world pirate game developed by Take2 Interactive. You can buy it for Windows, Mac and iOS. It's part management sim and full pirate simulator. So...who still plays this?

Commander Wallace
11-19-15, 07:42 PM
I had never heard of it until now but will look into it . Thanks for mentioning it .

ReallyDedPoet
11-19-15, 08:23 PM
Decent review:

Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hF_c0mxZU)

fireftr18
11-19-15, 11:11 PM
Aaarr, I be playing a game of it now! :arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
11-19-15, 11:18 PM
Back in the day I played the original. I like the new (11 years old now?) a lot, but don't play it much. I beat it handily on level 3, turning the entire Spanish Main into the English Main.

On level 4 I didn't survive a game week. :dead:

CaptainRamius
11-20-15, 12:44 AM
Back in the day I played the original. I like the new (11 years old now?) a lot, but don't play it much. I beat it handily on level 3, turning the entire Spanish Main into the English Main.

On level 4 I didn't survive a game week. :dead:

At level 4 I just quit. :D

I had never heard of it until now but will look into it now. Thanks for mentioning it .

It's one of my most played games now. You really should play it :salute:

Eichhörnchen
11-20-15, 04:14 AM
I came across this on an old CD Rom recently. I'd heard mention of it on the Gaming forum but when I looked at the graphics on the carton I was put off getting it (despite the silly price of 0.99p).

I'm the first to speak up for retro-gaming and RPG, but "top-down view" games don't do it for me. Maybe I boobed.

Jimbuna
11-20-15, 07:08 AM
Tried it and simply couldn't get away with it.

CaptainRamius
11-20-15, 09:46 AM

I really love it. I suggest you should give it another try, though :D

Thagarr
11-20-15, 02:02 PM
The 2004 game is a good game, but for anyone who played any of the multiple different platform versions of the original, it pales in comparison to the original 1987 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Pirates!) game. The gameplay from the original just isn't there, but I guess they had to make room for ballroom dancing somehow!

Port Royale was a much better game in my opinion than Sid's remake. It had a dynamic economy, and the option to build your own pirate hideout! Two things, among many others, that we plan on incorporating into Hearts of Oak!

CaptainRamius
11-20-15, 02:45 PM
The 2004 game is a good game, but for anyone who played any of the multiple different platform versions of the original, it pales in comparison to the original 1987 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Pirates!) game. The gameplay from the original just isn't there, but I guess they had to make room for ballroom dancing somehow!

Port Royale was a much better game in my opinion than Sid's remake. It had a dynamic economy, and the option to build your own pirate hideout! Two things, among many others, that we plan on incorporating into Hearts of Oak!

I looked at Port Royale once, it didn't seem that good, IMO.
I guess I'll look at it again.

Platapus
11-21-15, 08:49 AM

Next time perhaps try paying for the game before leaving the store. Makes the "get away" a lot easier. :D

Platapus
11-21-15, 08:52 AM
Many many enjoyable hours playing this game.

As soon as I was able to get/buy/steal one of those small Royal Mail sloops (I think it was a sloop), that's when I was able to really take off and start dominating the enemy.

I liked the sword fighting a lot. Not so much the dancing :doh:

CaptainRamius
11-21-15, 08:58 AM
Many many enjoyable hours playing this game.

As soon as I was able to get/buy/steal one of those small Royal Mail sloops (I think it was a sloop), that's when I was able to really take off and start dominating the enemy.

I liked the sword fighting a lot. Not so much the dancing :doh:

You mean the Mail Runner, or Royal Sloop. Both are pretty OP.
The dancing part I hate, but it's definitely needed in order for you to finish the game.

Next time perhaps try paying for the game before leaving the store. Makes the "get away" a lot easier. :D

Did the cops get you? Is it on video? :D

Jimbuna
11-21-15, 10:14 AM

LOL....I should be so lucky :)

Sailor Steve
11-21-15, 02:26 PM
Well, now I have to complain. This thread got my interest up again, so I pulled out my copy and loaded it up. I ended up playing for two hours, and then turned it off and went about my day. Just at bedtime I was feeling like I needed a little mindless cheering-up so I started it up again. Five hours later, getting toward 0200, I finally forced myself to shut it off and go to bed.

I HATE THIS GAME!!! :damn:
:rotfl2:

CaptainRamius
11-21-15, 02:29 PM
Well, now I have to complain. This thread got my interest up again, so I pulled out my copy and loaded it up. I ended up playing for two hours, and then turned it off and went about my day. Just at bedtime I was feeling like I needed a little mindless cheering-up so I started it up again. Five hours later, getting toward 0200, I finally forced myself to shut it off and go to bed.

I HATE THIS GAME!!! :damn:
:rotfl2:

Ha! I often catch myself playing it too often. In the back of my mind I hear "turn it off, turn it off" but the sailor on my shoulder whispers in my ear: "keep playing, keep playing"
In short, welcome to my world :D

d@rk51d3
11-21-15, 08:39 PM
Love the original '87 version. Spent years on the C64 and Amiga.
The new version, not so much.
Couldn't really get into the Port Royale series either.

BrucePartington
11-23-15, 05:26 AM
Quite addictive, just like the RT and CIV series. I think it's a good thing Sid Meier's business isn't controlled substances :haha:
To this day, from time to time, I still go back to playing RT2.
And because of this thread, I went back to playing Pirates! into the wee hours this weekend. Shame on you!
I suppose you all know that on rare occasions, the mysterious traveler in the back room is Sid (shaved face).

CaptainRamius
11-23-15, 07:09 AM
Quite addictive, just like the RT and CIV series. I think it's a good thing Sid Meier's business isn't controlled substances :haha:
To this day, from time to time, I still go back to playing RT2.
And because of this thread, I went back to playing Pirates! into the wee hours this weekend. Shame on you!
I suppose you all know that on rare occasions, the mysterious traveler in the back room is Sid (shaved face).

I've heard of that! Only seen him once, though.

I'm actually thinking of making an American Faction and Navy mod for Sid Meier's Pirates. Of course, it would include the USS Constitution :D
How does that sound to you guys? It'd take a while, my PC isn't working, but maybe after Christmas?

BrucePartington
11-23-15, 04:52 PM
I've heard of that! Only seen him once, though.

I'm actually thinking of making an American Faction and Navy mod for Sid Meier's Pirates. Of course, it would include the USS Constitution :D
How does that sound to you guys? It'd take a while, my PC isn't working, but maybe after Christmas?
Mods sound great :D

Kapt Z
11-23-15, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I'm another Pirates! addict! Have not played it for a few months, but it is there waiting on my desktop for any moment of weakness! :arrgh!:

Jimbuna
11-24-15, 10:31 AM
Welcome to SubSim David :sunny:

Eichhörnchen
11-24-15, 06:15 PM
I came across this on an old CD Rom recently. I'd heard mention of it on the Gaming forum but when I looked at the graphics on the carton I was put off getting it (despite the silly price of 0.99p).

I'm the first to speak up for retro-gaming and RPG, but "top-down view" games don't do it for me. Maybe I boobed.

I should've bought the bloody thing, shouldn't I? :nope::haha:

NeonSamurai
11-24-15, 07:34 PM
For me with the Atari version its a real mix. I really like it and utterly despise it at the same time. But I grew up on the original 1987 pc-booter version, which had so much more depth; depth the Atari version ditched for stupid crap like the dancing, or the horrid swordfighting. So while I play this one occasionally, I much prefer to play the original, or the gold version which also had a bit of the depth taken out.

Also the feel for the games is so different too. The original MicroProse games felt far more real and gritty, where as the remake is just cartoony and rather corny and stupid.

I really wish they would do a proper remake of the original, with all the realistic touches it had (or add even more).

Oh and if you want to try out the original MicroProse games, GoG has both in a pack
http://www.gog.com/game/pirates_gold_plus

For those that really hate some of the crap like the dancing and just want to skip it (let the computer do it) or change other aspects of the game, i strongly recommend PHTrainer.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/11397523/Sid_Meier_s_Pirates__PHTrainer_v3_20

Anyhow moving this to the proper Pirates forum.

ReallyDedPoet
11-24-15, 08:28 PM
For those that really hate some of the crap like the dancing and just want to skip it (let the computer do it) or change other aspects of the game, i strongly recommend PHTrainer.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/11397523/Sid_Meier_s_Pirates__PHTrainer_v3_20

Nice :yep:

BrucePartington
12-06-15, 11:20 PM
Here's the man :)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac9/Vasco_Ferr/funny/Sidpirate00001_zpsxauf4g7f.jpg

CaptainRamius
12-07-15, 01:11 AM
Nice :yep:

Indeed. I should try that :D

oche
12-14-15, 02:09 PM
The original 1987 Microprose Sid Meier's i sometimes still do, i even have the original manual. Game freezes or locks up too much thru DOSBOX. I must admit that the 2004 remake was quite entertaining for sometime but boy i was deceived by my high expectations. :Kaleun_Crying:

CaptainRamius
04-02-16, 01:44 AM
I loved the Microprose-version of Pirates on the C64 - gosh, that has been 30 years ago !!

I coincidently found it for my Ipad last week.

Really addictive. But cheap CHINA-ware. Bugs all over the place. Especially annoying is that after I finally got all 4 pieces of the map to rescue the SISTER, I finally find her on some island and.... CRASH...

When reloading, the "sister-mission" is unfinished, leaving that career useless, since it cannot be continued... :down:
I actually managed to complete the entire game. It was really fun but, as you said, rather buggy. Still fun though :yeah:

Von Due
10-03-16, 04:35 PM
Wow, those who look around shall find and here is a thread about SM's Pirates! It's been decades since I had it for my C64, spent quite some time trying to get a grasp on the gameplay. Enjoyed it but never figured it out back then to keep playing it. Now that is up for revision as Pirates Gold for DOS turned out to be a disaster, utterly broken and unplayable so I dug out a copy I have of the original SMP for PC to revisit a game I have been wanting to figure out for some time now.

CaptainRamius
10-04-16, 08:26 AM
Wow, those who look around shall find and here is a thread about SM's Pirates! It's been decades since I had it for my C64, spent quite some time trying to get a grasp on the gameplay. Enjoyed it but never figured it out back then to keep playing it. Now that is up for revision as Pirates Gold for DOS turned out to be a disaster, utterly broken and unplayable so I dug out a copy I have of the original SMP for PC to revisit a game I have been wanting to figure out for some time now.

Oh, boy. If you like pirates, even in general, you'll love this game.
Here are a few tips to get you started.
- In the cities, towns and settlements you'll visit, there are upgrades to your ship you can make. Don't try to memorize where the different upgrades are; each time you start a game the upgrades switch cities.
- Just because a ship is large, doesn't mean it's a good warship. For example, the Royal Sloops is regarded as the best ship in the game because of it's small size, maneuverability, and firepower (20+ cannon)
- Yes, you should buy the treasure maps the traveler in the corner offers you

Hope I helped out a bit. Enjoy the game :salute:

Von Due
10-04-16, 09:43 AM
Oh, boy. If you like pirates, even in general, you'll love this game.
Here are a few tips to get you started.
- In the cities, towns and settlements you'll visit, there are upgrades to your ship you can make. Don't try to memorize where the different upgrades are; each time you start a game the upgrades switch cities.
- Just because a ship is large, doesn't mean it's a good warship. For example, the Royal Sloops is regarded as the best ship in the game because of it's small size, maneuverability, and firepower (20+ cannon)

Hope I helped out a bit. Enjoy the game :salute:

Are we talking about the original or the remake? :hmmm:

I played the original quite a lot and have looked into it now but upgrades for ships? That is a new one. Sure that isn't in the remake?

CaptainRamius
10-05-16, 02:14 PM
Are we talking about the original or the remake? :hmmm:

I played the original quite a lot and have looked into it now but upgrades for ships? That is a new one. Sure that isn't in the remake?

It's in the remake. I though that's what we were talking about :hmmm:

EDIT: My bad, just re-read your post. Didn't see that you were talking about the original SMP. My mistake.

Platapus
11-13-16, 07:49 AM

I remember wasting many many hours trying to find the treasure despite being too cheap to buy another section of the map. :03:

komi
12-31-17, 08:27 AM
Haven't played it in ages since it won't run on my computer, but I had a blast with it back in the day. Used to go all posh and roll around in Treasure Galleons with a character mod that gave my captain a moustache worthy of Poirot :P

Murph89
01-04-18, 10:54 AM
This is a really fun game. Easy to find yourself immersed in the whole pirate theme for a few hours.

Eichhörnchen
05-29-18, 05:27 PM
I just picked up a perfect preowned disc of Pirates! (with manual) by 2K Games "Feral Legends" for Mac.

Copyright on the edge is 2005-2008, so I'm not sure how this one ranks. But it's going to get played this time :up: