PDA

View Full Version : About the game

Xaron
11-22-13, 03:00 PM
Silent Depth is a mobile 3d submarine simulation game in development. Mobile means it will be available for smartphones and tablets on almost all platforms like Android, iPhone/iPad and Windows Phone 8.

You are the captain of a US Balao Class Submarine in World War II and are positioned in the Pacific. Your base harbor is Midway where you repair and equip your submarine with torpedos, ammunition and fuel.

http://www.silentdepth.com/dl/screenshots/b032-midway.jpg
(screenshot taken from Samsung S3)

There will be a free patrol mode where you just drive around and attack japanese ships. That way you select your route on a map and as soon as you spot something (or get spotted!) the game switches back to 3d mode where you can attack (either with torpedos or your gun) or try to escape.
Missions will be available as well of course and a career mode. You will get awards and medals. Even though it is a single player game some kind of an online highscore list is planned.

Part of the game are realistic day/night cycles and real waves for instance. It won't be an arcade game, neither a hardcore sim (even though it will be as realistic as possible!) which would be just too much for smartphones/tablets.

Just take a look a the screenshots and some of the ingame videos. You can follow us at Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/silentdepth) as well to be up to date and discuss it there or in our forums here. We're interested in all kinds of criticism and suggestions!

Planned features

use your US submarine to attack the Japanese ships
free open ended patrol and specific missions
a navigation map
day/night cycles
equip your submarine in your harbor
attack the enemy with torpedos or with the gun / air attacks
get awards and medals
share your success with other captains (list of most successful captains online)

Feel free to ask any questions, we will build up some kind of a F.A.Q. to answer all those!

Thanks for reading!

Onkel Neal
11-22-13, 09:32 PM
Looking good!:Kaleun_Applaud:

Sailor Steve
11-22-13, 09:49 PM
Free patrol mode. 3-D game mode. Sounds like it owes a bit to Silent Service, but with decades of improvement. I like that. :sunny:

Julke
11-23-13, 04:20 PM
finally sub game on smartfone. Looking forward for release :)

Lewis Wingerter
11-23-13, 05:40 PM
Hi Xaron. The game look fantastic I cant wait to get it . Keep up the great work.:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salu te::up::up::up::up::up:

Xaron
11-24-13, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys!

Doing a smartphone/tablet sim won't stop us from releasing a PC/Mac version of course! But it won't be that heavy as Silent Hunter.

flag4
12-19-13, 05:05 PM
hey, this is top!!:up:

...want it want it want it want it...ad infinitum - till ready.

when? when? when?

Sung
12-28-13, 03:55 AM
Silent Depth 2 - Atlantic Inferno is born :rock: :D

Happy new year! :woot:

Delta Wolf
01-02-14, 04:19 AM
Looking really Good :yeah:

Overkill
01-09-14, 04:30 PM
Sounds promising! :yeah:

Now if we could get a TF1942 / Pacific Air War game in the works I would be super happy...

Sung
01-10-14, 02:33 AM
Sounds promising! :yeah:

Now if we could get a TF1942 / Pacific Air War game in the works I would be super happy...

If you search for a mobile Pacific Air War game - i like Pacific Navy Fighters under Android from our friend Bart Wilmink.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.dotsightsoftware.pnfce.full&hl=de
It is well programmed.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/BG08OZXtQCFxv9OZFXfjP6pAUdaXAF-lDoyjyRkja719TJRqgASHSbqY11sgWgSkIok=h900

Try the old version it is complete free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.dotsightsoftware.pacificfighter.demo&hl=de

https://lh5.ggpht.com/sywmZyklBgBNZhWTIAdBjw4LtAfY7pnVmtwnOBmOMLiv0omhW0 _tJ6UGfa2DEvopkQ=h900

Recrut Tsoul
01-14-14, 04:12 AM
Silent Hunter 2 was my favorite game of all time, I like its gameplay and the way it works all around, I think that's the best sub sim ever, and due to the way it was built would be perfect for a touch screen, I would most definitely pay for it and Im not talking like 1 or 2 dollars I would pay $20 for it if I can put it on my smart phone or tablet.
So if you can make it somewhere or something like that then I'll be your first customer.

The best way to market this game would be to allow it to be downloaded for free and then you charge people for other features such as campaigns, missions, different submarines and multiplayer ability and have them available for purchase in the app stores.

If you decide to do multiplayer I don't think the peer to peer Microsoft thing is going to work like it did in SH2 because these are wireless network devices, the best route would be to have a dedicated Linux & Windows server that's available for download for anyone.

Cybermat47
01-14-14, 04:18 AM
I'm going to be spending a lot of time on my Mum's fun just to play this :up:

Xaron
01-14-14, 04:46 AM
Silent Hunter 2 was my favorite game of all time, I like its gameplay and the way it works all around, I think that's the best sub sim ever, and due to the way it was built would be perfect for a touch screen, I would most definitely pay for it and Im not talking like 1 or 2 dollars I would pay $20 for it if I can put it on my smart phone or tablet.
So if you can make it somewhere or something like that then I'll be your first customer.

The best way to market this game would be to allow it to be downloaded for free and then you charge people for other features such as campaigns, missions, different submarines and multiplayer ability and have them available for purchase in the app stores.

Thanks for your words! :) Actually we think about to make it free to let the players see if they like it or not (maybe with just a mission or so) and give the player the option to buy the full version if he/she likes it.

If you decide to do multiplayer I don't think the peer to peer Microsoft thing is going to work like it did in SH2 because these are wireless network devices, the best route would be to have a dedicated Linux & Windows server that's available for download for anyone.

Atm we don't plan multiplayer stuff but this can change of course. But this depends on how well the game is taken by the players because (good!) multiplayer is something where we have to put some effort into it to make it fun. What we plan is some kind of a "highscore" list of best captains.

Recrut Tsoul
01-14-14, 04:49 AM
I just got done watching the videos on YouTube, it is basically SH2 ........ I think I'm about to NUT!!!

Anyway, do you have a mission editor for us sheeple to create our own missions?

Xaron
01-14-14, 05:08 AM
I just got done watching the videos on YouTube, it is basically SH2 ........ I think I'm about to NUT!!!

I'm glad, you like it. I guess you will LOVE the final game (like we do!).

Anyway, do you have a mission editor for us sheeple to create our own missions?

Not planned at the moment due to a simple reason. It's almost impossible to achieve that on mobile devices to do things like modding. There's no plan to add an editor to the game itself atm, even though the idea is very interesting!

Recrut Tsoul
01-14-14, 03:00 PM
I'm thinking of an editor for a PC that can save the mission to a file, then transfer it to your device and/or put it on the net for download.

Also, you may need to test & compile the executable for each device avalible on the market as some apps require this by the developer so it can be compatible for all devices, as the Android play store can be set to detect the users device and show a warning that this version is not compatible with your device and or the play store can auto redirect the user to the correct download, if a device inquires about your game, the play store can notify YOU that you have potential customers with this certain device that want to buy your product, so then you get working to compile it to that devices kernel & hardware.

For now all the Galaxy phones & tablets would cover most of your customer base.

By the way, what are the system requirements?

Recrut Tsoul
01-14-14, 03:42 PM
I hope you will make this game fun to play like SH2, as I noticed the follow up Silent Hunter series started to get a little to hard core, such as crew assignments.
As the captain, your job is to direct the mission, the other crew members do their jobs so that the captain can do his, also, have an option to enable & disable these features as wanted.
I never bothered buying SH4 & SH5, because I simply didn't feel like swabbing the deck & cleaning the head in a video game.

If you truly wanted to create the most hard core Subsim ever, you could add in features such as cleaning, rust Managment, chow hall duties, tool check in & check out.
During swabbing the deck, just before you complete your task, you can have an officer walk by on your wet floor & **** it up, then you must exercise restraint to NOT kick his ass.
A Subsim like this will truely separate the men from the boys, as you have all these clowns on this board that claim to be hard core, overlook or skip just a minor rust Managment detail, a valve head gets rusted into position, and when the captain orders DIVE, you are unable to and get blown to smitherines.
Overlook some cleaning duties, the hole crew gets infected with colora.

Xaron
01-15-14, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking of an editor for a PC that can save the mission to a file, then transfer it to your device and/or put it on the net for download.

Interesting idea indeed, but it will be definitely NOT in the first release but might be a subject for later updates!

By the way, what are the system requirements?

These are pretty standard. Works on any mid range Android/iOS/Windows Phone 8 device.

I hope you will make this game fun to play like SH2, as I noticed the follow up Silent Hunter series started to get a little to hard core, such as crew assignments.

No it won't be a hardcore sim. We want to make it fun even though there are guys out there who would love to see a real hardcore sim, but I guess they should take a closer look at Atlantic Warfare. You should keep in mind that we talk about a game which is played mainly on tablets (and phones) so it should be compatible for some short (up to an hour maybe?) train riding game play. :arrgh!:

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-14, 11:16 AM
Looking forward to this.

Overkill
01-24-14, 11:48 AM
It's looking awesome! :up:
I'll be adding this one to my apps when it's released.

Sung
01-26-14, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the nice words! Thats help for working on the boring parts of the game. :sunny:

SubSydney
02-01-14, 06:45 PM
From all of us you have our gratitude and awaiting release!

smolfri
02-06-14, 01:01 PM
Can't wait to give this app a try, the screenshot looks very promising. I also think that a pc based mission editor would be a great idea.

Overkill
02-15-14, 12:39 PM
If you search for a mobile Pacific Air War game - i like Pacific Navy Fighters under Android from our friend Bart Wilmink.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.dotsightsoftware.pnfce.full&hl=de
It is well programmed.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/BG08OZXtQCFxv9OZFXfjP6pAUdaXAF-lDoyjyRkja719TJRqgASHSbqY11sgWgSkIok=h900

Try the old version it is complete free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.dotsightsoftware.pacificfighter.demo&hl=de

https://lh5.ggpht.com/sywmZyklBgBNZhWTIAdBjw4LtAfY7pnVmtwnOBmOMLiv0omhW0 _tJ6UGfa2DEvopkQ=h900

I have the older version. Didn't know they had refined it. Thanks for the info! :salute:

Recrut Tsoul
11-25-14, 01:30 AM
The Silent Depth website is not letting me register ............ I think, someone help, I registere as Rct. Tsoul

Xaron
11-25-14, 03:18 PM
Looks like this has been resolved magically? :)