View Full Version : A new SHO film - engaging a convoy

PL_Andrev
10-09-12, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnT8c3SM_o

No comments...
:doh:

Diopos
10-09-12, 12:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnT8c3SM_o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnT8c3SM_o)

No comments...

This a comment from the youtube link:

I get that theyr trying***65279; to be accurate, but it should not take that long to shoot stuff in a game.
Sideshow Bob (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaHNhJkW37MBLZOgJP20fw)

No comments...

PL_Andrev
10-09-12, 12:23 PM
Ok, find it at your browser / youtube search machine by full title:

Silent Hunter Online - COMM DEV Video #1 - Engaging a Convoy [UK]

Dowly
10-09-12, 12:57 PM
I'm starting to be quite optimistic after seeing some of the actual gameplay. :yep:

Especially like how it takes time for the WO to calculate the solution. :up:

Herr-Berbunch
10-09-12, 01:11 PM
Ok, find it at your browser / youtube search machine by full title:

Silent Hunter Online - COMM DEV Video #1 - Engaging a Convoy [UK]

COMM for Comedy? :hmmm:

CCIP
10-09-12, 05:52 PM
Actually looks pretty reasonable to me so far :hmmm:

Let's see what more they have to show. So far this is not bad at all. The basics of what makes an SH game are there, and the sub-switching mechanic is something I already like.

Sailor Steve
10-09-12, 05:59 PM
Actually looks pretty reasonable to me so far :hmmm:
While I've said that online play of this type is not for me, I have to agree. For what it is it looks okay. So far.

the sub-switching mechanic is something I already like.
I don't, but nobody says I would have to use it. I like seeing the Type II. :sunny:

Sonarman
10-09-12, 06:34 PM
I see a little ladder icon with an up arrow on the right hand side of the screen I wonder if this leads to a conning tower or perhaps UZO view?

Hinrich Schwab
10-09-12, 09:35 PM
I have to admit that it doesn't look that bad. It may have potential, but the ability to simply swap between subs is a bit too arcade for my taste. It was one thing in Destroyer Command where a squadron commodore could conceivably board a gig and physically transfer his flag, but not in this case.

Sonarman
10-10-12, 03:28 AM
Yes, in many ways it reminds me more of the old Novalogic game "Wolfpack" than Silent Hunter, although in those days they actually managed to incorporate playable destroyers as well as subs.

Subnuts
10-10-12, 07:06 AM
It just looks so...bland. I was getting vibes of the original Silent Hunter from this video. Don't get me wrong, SH has held up pretty well for a 16 year old subsim, but so far, SHO doesn't really strike me as several generations more advanced that it. :-?

JU_88
10-10-12, 07:08 AM
Tell you where this game might be useful (for me), Lunchtimes at work, or on holidays stuck with a low spec netbook or tablet. That would be when I'd be most likley to give it a whirl anyway. :)

AVGWarhawk
10-10-12, 09:13 AM
I like the interface. I'm not sure the pace of the online game consisting of submarines will retain someones attention for long. Games such as CoD, WWoT and IL2 with click, click, bang, bang are action packed. These seem more engaging for online play. The pace for this sim online might be a bit slow for some tastes.

badaboom
10-10-12, 03:25 PM
It looks better than Silent Hunter for iPad,Now That was a Joke!!!:/\\!!

Safe-Keeper
10-10-12, 05:38 PM
I get that theyr trying to be accurate, but it should not take that long to shoot stuff in a game.Agreed, no action for several seconds?! Blasphemy! I want a game that will,..,, ooooh, shiny! :runs off:

:nope:

Cybermat47
10-10-12, 07:06 PM
This actually looks pretty good.
But still, I'm glad that it's free...

CCIP
10-11-12, 12:10 AM
It just looks so...bland. I was getting vibes of the original Silent Hunter from this video. Don't get me wrong, SH has held up pretty well for a 16 year old subsim, but so far, SHO doesn't really strike me as several generations more advanced that it. :-?

Well that's inevitable, considering it's a game that is designed to run in browsers as a Flash application. It will inevitably look worse due to that (but will also have far wider compatibility and lower requirements as a result).

Kloef
10-11-12, 05:43 AM
Nice video, but i don't think this will put me on the edge of my seat

vdr1981
10-11-12, 01:17 PM
This will certainly be a great hit...on Facebook...

longam
10-11-12, 03:19 PM
Reminded of the old arcade games when looking at the scope and the generic view of the ships. Not even a torpedo trail.

zamfe
10-12-12, 11:31 AM
This will certainly be a great hit...on Facebook...

...Like :up:...

StarTrekMike
10-12-12, 01:26 PM
This video is not encouraging for the franchise as a whole.

I seriously doubt that a audience exists in enough numbers who would want to take such a step back from previous versions and settle for this browser based flash game that looks worse than some amateur efforts I have seen.

This whole thing has to be a joke, I can't see how they thought this was a good idea.

ReallyDedPoet
10-12-12, 04:42 PM
SH2

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGKpfAv7rVgBN4892UZQ2PLCr8jozGk baB-hdqkd3pDcp5UZME

BigBANGtheory
10-13-12, 10:41 AM
It looks like it has real potential for iPad owners

rascal101
10-14-12, 06:09 AM
The more I see of this online play the sadder I get - Is amazing here they have Subsim, and all the members herein, I believe 30,000 or so some more or less committed, but at least they took the time to register

Anyway with 30k members they have the sheer gall to show this.....travesty - as usual they're hooked on the idea of luring more players by showing this arcade stuff - they tried this in SH4, and 5 - did'nt work did it, now their at it again with this.....thing

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GRASP - THE FOLKS WHO WANT TO PLAY A WW2 SUBSIM ARE FAIRLY DEDICATED CROWD, THEY ARE SEEKING REALISM,, THEY DON'T WANT SOME ASININE EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE, THEY WANT TO CALCULATE THEIR TORPS TRAJECTORY, THEY WANT TO AVOID DESTROYERS, THEY WANT TO SEE A REALISTIC ENVIRONMENT WITH THEIR SUB IN IT - THEY WANT TO SEE AN OCEAN THAT IS BELIEVABLE, THEY WANT AN ENEMY WHO WILL HUNT THEM

aL i HAVE SEEN IS A STEP BACK TO ME AND MY DAD WALKING ON BRIGHTON PIER AND PLAYING SOME ARCADE GAMES IN THE LATE 60'S THEIR WAS A UBOAT SIMULATION, YES I KID YOU NOT AN ARCADE SIMULATION AND THIS DAM SH ONLINE LOOKS ALMOST IDENTICAL

HOW SAD TO THINK THIS WONDERFUL GAME/ FRANCHISE WHATEVER SHOULD END UP LIKE THIS - SOMETHING FOR AN IPHONE, AS IF YOU CAN HAVE A FULLY FLEDGED SIMULATION ON A DAM IPHONE

I'D LOVE TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND, I'D LOVE TO STAY INTERESTED - WHY DO THEY DO THIS - THEY HAVE SUBSIM MEMBERS WHO WOULD GLADLY TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT INSTEAD WE GET THESE PISS WEAK PREVIEWS WHICH JUST GET WORSE AND WORSE THE MORE THEY REVEAL

WHY BOTHER

R

johan_d
10-14-12, 03:23 PM
Looks awfull.. even free is too expensive!:down:

Vince82
10-15-12, 05:50 PM
This game will propably draw a lot more people to the silent hunter franchise.

It's a game in line of online games like: world of tanks and world of airplanes.

I don't think it's really meant to be for us.

whyme943
10-15-12, 08:03 PM
This game will propably draw a lot more people to the silent hunter franchise.

It's a game in line of online games like: world of tanks and world of airplanes.

I don't think it's really meant to be for us.

Oh, I would happily take a silent hunter like either o those. F2P is fine by me. However, SHO is browser based, unlike WOT and WOWarplanes. This severely limits what the debs can do. (Resulting in that tiny rendr of the world through the periscope). Many an excellent series that had fallen out of mainstream favor has been revived by an infusion of F2Pers into the franchise. But all examples of such things I can think of have been downloadable clients.

Nexus7
10-16-12, 04:50 PM
What I see in that trailer doesnt impress me.
Cant feel any adrenaline in the process.
The ability, or rather necessity, to switch between different subs totally distorces/destroys/denies the feeling of being in command of an u-boot.

Looking ahead, I like to think they've got a marketing strategy that aims at something more coinvolging.
For example different players command theyr own sub in a wolfpack, with ww2 simulated transmission capabilities between the subs.

Sonalyst, with Dangerous Waters multiplayer modus, is an example:
- multimanned subs
- multiple multimanned subs
- simulated "realistic resembling" communication capabilities between the subs
- intensive concentration and skill requirements (no time to look away), be it on sonar station, on TMA station or on control (exception: weapons station).

If SHO reaches a similar level of detail, in the future, it would probably become a masterwork!

As a passionate sub-simulators player I try to defend and promote who seriously works on them, as long as it is not total crap!

Iron Budokan
10-18-12, 09:01 AM
Hoo boy.

I think I just died a little bit inside.

eschemschnuz
10-21-12, 11:50 PM
Just had a quick look at the YT clip. Not too crazy about having a guy in ze ts'hick Djerman axe-zent ts'rying to explain everyts'ing inzide zwei meenoot.

Aside from that, i'm looking forward to seeing how the "wolfpack" dynamic will play out. it's the one thing that's been effectively missing in all the SH incarnations.

TorpX
10-22-12, 11:57 PM
Looks awfull.. even free is too expensive!:down:

My feelings exactly.

desertstriker
11-02-12, 11:28 PM
Oh, I would happily take a silent hunter like either o those. F2P is fine by me. However, SHO is browser based, unlike WOT and WOWarplanes. This severely limits what the debs can do. (Resulting in that tiny rendr of the world through the periscope). Many an excellent series that had fallen out of mainstream favor has been revived by an infusion of F2Pers into the franchise. But all examples of such things I can think of have been downloadable clients.
too true with this part one game that went F2P (star trek online) saw a major influx of players
Hoo boy.

I think I just died a little bit inside.
:agree:
What I see in that trailer doesnt impress me.
Cant feel any adrenaline in the process.
The ability, or rather necessity, to switch between different subs totally distorces/destroys/denies the feeling of being in command of an u-boot
your right seems like an empty stream of zeros and ones. no real flavor...

Nemesis1024
11-05-12, 09:14 AM
Can anyone say cheddar?

After updating the graphics it can almost look the same as this: http://i46.tinypic.com/2hekkll.gif

Though I'm honestly not sure what to think about it....on one hand I can say it might not be that bad after playing Battlestar Galactica Online (which is browser based), it seemed to have okish graphics for being flash based. On the other hand all I can think about it the huge step backwards Ubi have taken while creating this "thing"...it seems that they have taken their eye off of a true subsim and turned it into a button spamming arcade shoot em up.

Gendall
11-09-12, 04:06 PM
Definitively not for me...

And did you noticed that Ubi themself don't believe in it... They programed a german robot to do the speach ^^

Seriously, the ONLY good point of SH5 was the free moving inside the sub... Now, this is not a "set back" it is "the most outrageous setback"... Even without the free moving SH3 and 4 are way much better.

Harald_Lange
11-22-12, 04:53 PM
I reserve judgement until I've played it, personally I'm optimistic.

Cybermat47
11-22-12, 05:47 PM
It looks good...for a 90's arcade game :D

popcorn2721
11-22-12, 08:40 PM
If it looks like crap and smells like crap, it probably is crap... or maybe the new silent hunter online game from UBI. It never ceases to amaze me how UBI manages to find new ways to foul up a game. :/\\!!

brett25
02-05-13, 04:24 PM
Meh....

....back to sh3 gwx/nygm

flag4
02-06-13, 04:38 PM
..how will they induce tension - anxiety?
..how will they crank up the panic levels?

im quite impressed by the look. and yet it looks a bit flat.

what kind of market research did they do to realise this was wanted?

good luck to them - maybe people will play it then find the other SH titles and get into 2-3-4 and 5?

feels like a bit of a gamble all the same.:salute:

flag4
02-19-13, 05:13 PM
ive watched it again. and i think it looks awful. it may be decieving the way it was run, with the german voice over, but something is lacking. it lacks power. it looks too smooth - click click boom boom - done.

im confused...im going to bed...:Kaleun_Sleep:

Runnybabbit
03-15-13, 08:10 PM
I have to be honest and firstly say that I prefer to play allied, and therefore, Silent Hunter 4 is the incarnation for me. With the mods available and the superb work put in by the unpaid enthusiasts that create the mods, I think that (this) game is very good indeed!

Obviously, I haven't played SHO so far, so I will reserve judgement. However, I have played World of Tanks for over a year, and though I currently have more than 9 months left of a premium subscription to that game left to run, I have (literally) walked away from playing it. Reason?! Simply that I got fed up with the lack of any real understanding of 'team play' with the exception of a minority, and also quickly became aware of the financial angle of the game developers, who (obviously) want to maximise profits.

I strongly suspect, and expect Ubisoft to go the same way with SHO, and judging them by their 'loyalty' to the Subsim community so far, I don't have very high hopes that they will deliver for us..

Just my opinion, and apologies in advance for my negativity!

vanjast
03-22-13, 03:03 PM
There must be a 'money grubbing' strategy in there somewhere for UBI.. and it probably has something to do with layout-vs-income, and they see this idea as cost efficient.

The guy that sold them this story would be able to sell ice to an Eskimo, sand to an Arab. :D

The PC market is probably not their target market, but smart phones and ipads.. etc. This'll open the door for a next generation serious sim for dis-serving fans
:cool:

flag4
05-05-13, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxnT8c3SM_o

No comments...

god. that was dull.:down:

Naruto17141
08-31-13, 07:17 AM
What do i do on this part of the tutorial? :S

DanCanovas
08-31-13, 07:48 AM