PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter Cold War Online?

tonibamestre
05-04-12, 08:50 AM
Hi, any chance to start developing a Global Online environment set into the 70S implementing SSN + SLBM ?

Herr-Berbunch
05-04-12, 09:00 AM
Isn't it a browser based game?

If so then doubtful, unless you speak to (and throw money at) Ubi. :hmmm:

Bartolomeus
06-14-12, 03:30 PM
Hi, any chance to start developing a Global Online environment set into the 70S implementing SSN + SLBM ?

I second that! :)

Hawk66
06-15-12, 12:21 PM
you guys are dreaming ;)

face the reality: there are simply not enough people who share our interest in cold war themes...look how 'many' movies cover this period today...

TorpX
06-16-12, 01:32 AM
I think the issue is that there was no war (nuclear or conventional), between US and USSR. Any kind of campaign would be purely fictional.

Hinrich Schwab
06-16-12, 01:50 AM
I think the issue is that there was no war (nuclear or conventional), between US and USSR. Any kind of campaign would be purely fictional.

Agreed. To be perfectly honest, I think the Sonalysts series of sims covered the modern period as well as could be expected. The issue of the Cold War was brinksmanship; how far one could push before the war became conventional and active. If a new sim could really capture the "stealth vs combat" aspect of the Cold War, I am certainly all for it. However, it isn't coming from a Silent Hunter installment and it is certainly not coming from Ubisoft.

Hawk66
06-16-12, 03:14 AM
For me, the scenario, which was described in RED STORM RISING by Tom Clancy & Larry Bond, is the best cold war fiction...also the related subsim by Microprose was and is still very good...

You could easily think of a Red Storm Rising Campaign within a online game, in which you have actors for the individual platforms....similar like DW Multiplayer but on a much broader scope...

Julhelm
06-16-12, 07:28 PM
Red Storm Rising still plays miles better than anything Sonalysts ever put out.

Takeda Shingen
06-17-12, 10:04 AM
Red Storm Rising still plays miles better than anything Sonalysts ever put out.

I completely disagree.

Julhelm
06-17-12, 10:41 AM
Well, to each his own.

Takeda Shingen
06-17-12, 11:25 AM
Yup.

sonicninja
10-03-12, 10:07 AM
i think you would be shocked at some of the incidents that have occured between submarines and warships during the cold war period, i have witnessed some pretty scary events first hand in my career with the Royal Navy Silent Service, stories that would make your teeth itch :yep:

Nexus7
10-03-12, 06:14 PM
(...)If a new sim could really capture the "stealth vs combat" aspect of the Cold War, I am certainly all for it. However, it isn't coming from a Silent Hunter installment and it is certainly not coming from Ubisoft.

maybe from Sonalyst ? :ping:

On edit, I think it is wasted resources, RIGHT NOW, for Sonalyst, to develop a cold war simulator.
Sonalyst excels in reproducing the thrill of commander vs commander decisions, with modern submarines.
At the same time i am (but that's me) reluctant in the option of modders modifying Sonalyst combat simulations in order to reflect cold war situations.

Sonalyst is a serious company. I did play a lot with Sub Command, i mean human vs human, and they achived to give us a fantastic simulator... fantastic that far, that in some occasions (for example playing vs officials of the REAL navy!) i could argue for 1 second (or maybe one minute) to outsmart them. If you dont realize what that means, stick with human vs AI.

Let them work, be patient, sustain the sector, be realistic, and again LET THEM WORK IN PEACE. They know what's a simulator.