PDA

View Full Version : Subsimmers, Command needs your Help!

stormrider_sp
12-15-11, 09:14 AM
http://www.warfaresims.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10909

Need help: Sound levels of diesel vs. electric (http://www.warfaresims.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10909#p45874)

Hi All,

We need a little help.

We're taking a look at how we model diesel electric submarines and have been thinking about the difference in sound signatures between a sub running on diesel and sub on batteries. Do any sub experts on the board have any ideas how quiet running on batteries is as opposed to running on diesel? Sources are great but we're not looking for classified data. Just a way to build a good model in your game.

:up:

magicstix
12-15-11, 07:43 PM
Specifics on this would most definitely be classified. Don't expect more than a "diesel subs are louder on their engines than batteries."

Unfortunately it'd also depend on the sub type.

As a rule of thumb, I'd tell them just make subs on diesel as loud as a surface ship, and subs on batteries quiet.

FERdeBOER
12-20-11, 06:03 PM
Maybe you can ask in the Dangerous Waters forum. Or take a look at the LwAmi mod sound levels... if you don't have it installed I could send you that info.
I'm not sure, however, if they raised up a bit the sound level on batteries for gameplay purposes... new electric submarines seem to be very very quiet...

magicstix
12-20-11, 08:13 PM
Maybe you can ask in the Dangerous Waters forum. Or take a look at the LwAmi mod sound levels... if you don't have it installed I could send you that info.
I'm not sure, however, if they raised up a bit the sound level on batteries for gameplay purposes... new electric submarines seem to be very very quiet...

Depends very much on the class of SSK; some are quieter than others on battery, but all are going to be fairly loud when they turn on their diesels.

According to Tom Clancy, some Japanese SSKs have prairie masker which could conceivably make them quieter when snorkeling. Other classes might have masker too.

The simple answer is they should be *much* easier to find with engines on.

FERdeBOER
12-21-11, 04:56 AM
The simple answer is they should be *much* easier to find with engines on.

I totally agree with this :yep: