PDA

View Full Version : People driving in Ivan's car.

ivank
08-22-10, 11:35 PM
Um, I had an accident tonight, um it has been pouring all day here on Long Island, and we were coming back from a movie at 11pm-ish and the car in front of me hit his brakes and so did I, but my car just kept going, it did not stop, I do not know why, but yea I turned the wheel to avoid the stopped car and I hit a steam roller which hit a tree. I am okay, but my car is not. It should be fixed by the time of the meet. But I just felt the people who are driving with me should know. Um, yea.

Sledgehammer427
08-23-10, 12:23 AM
he's lying. I had a bit of a fit and took it out on his car. luckily the wrecking ball missed most of the car and I suddenly realized that I shouldn't be doing things like that.

sorry bro:sunny:

ivank
08-23-10, 01:58 AM
It is cool. The damage is not too bad, just some minor dents. :D

Sledgehammer427
08-23-10, 02:18 AM
I forgot to mention the "wrecking ball" was the size of a six-pack. it was the most I could get on such short notice:D

Sailor Steve
08-23-10, 10:57 AM
But I just felt the people who are driving with me should know. Um, yea.
Know what, exactly? That your brakes might be dangerous? That your car might not be ready? That you may not be a safe driver? :O:

Accidents happen, and it doesn't sound like this one was your fault. If your car is running in time for the meet, there's nothing to worry about.

But I'll bring my motorcycle helmet, just in case.
:rotfl2:

ivank
08-23-10, 01:48 PM
LOL yes a helmet is a must.
I just wanted people who get in my car to know the facts and if you guys do not wish to ride with me, I understand. But yes, like the cop said it was not my fault, and **** happens.

UPDATE ON CAR: Mechanic said the engine compartment shows signs of major damage. But he will not know until he opens the car up. If the car is not totalled by insurance he can have her ready in 2 weeks. However if the car is totalled. I will not have an 8-seater. I will most likely have a 5-seater

August
08-23-10, 02:14 PM
I will most likely have a 5-seater

We may not even need that given the way things are shaping up but if we do the 5 seater will probably be sufficient.

ivank
08-23-10, 03:52 PM
Okay, it really depends on what happens with my car and stuff

Jimbuna
08-23-10, 04:35 PM
Know what, exactly? That your brakes might be dangerous? That your car might not be ready? That you may not be a safe driver? :O:

Accidents happen, and it doesn't sound like this one was your fault. If your car is running in time for the meet, there's nothing to worry about.

But I'll bring my motorcycle helmet, just in case.

Now that quip was cruel :stare:

ivank
08-25-10, 12:49 PM
What is a quip?

Jimbuna
08-25-10, 01:05 PM
What is a quip?

A clever, witty remark often prompted by the occasion :DL

ivank
08-25-10, 01:15 PM
A clever, witty remark often prompted by the occasion :DL

Okay, then how was this one cruel

Jimbuna
08-25-10, 01:30 PM

It's supposed to be a witty remark in response to the original as in "don't be so cruel laughing at someone elses misfortune" or "don't kick a guy when he is feeling down".....a nuance of the British language but one I suspect shared with many other languages.

'Nuance'...A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.

I don't believe Americans have no sense of humour....at least not the ones I've met in person.

If this has gone over your head I'd suggest you PM Takeda or Sailor Steve, they can probably explain it better than me :sunny:

Sailor Steve
08-25-10, 01:56 PM
What is a quip?
Jim and I are good friends, so sometimes we say mean things to each other just because we think it's funny. What he was saying was cruel (in a joking way) was my saying to you that, while I don't accuse you of being a bad driver, I'll bring my helmet anyway, which implies I might think you really are a bad driver, or at least that accidents follow you around.

I experienced a very good example of that misunderstanding several years ago, when a member made a comment (joking of course) about Americans. I replied with "Hey! I resemble that remark!" He made a big apology for offending me, and I had to explain that this was an American way of saying "I am offended, but only because it's true." Now I see that our British cousins use this comment all the time as well, so I'm still puzzled as to why a Canadian didn't get it.

Anyway, Jim's "cruel quip" comment was aimed at me, as a joke, and I have no problem with it. But I will be glad to explain more, if needed.

ivank
08-25-10, 11:39 PM
Jim and I are good friends, so sometimes we say mean things to each other just because we think it's funny. What he was saying was cruel (in a joking way) was my saying to you that, while I don't accuse you of being a bad driver, I'll bring my helmet anyway, which implies I might think you really are a bad driver, or at least that accidents follow you around.

I experienced a very good example of that misunderstanding several years ago, when a member made a comment (joking of course) about Americans. I replied with "Hey! I resemble that remark!" He made a big apology for offending me, and I had to explain that this was an American way of saying "I am offended, but only because it's true." Now I see that our British cousins use this comment all the time as well, so I'm still puzzled as to why a Canadian didn't get it.

Anyway, Jim's "cruel quip" comment was aimed at me, as a joke, and I have no problem with it. But I will be glad to explain more, if needed.

Yea, I get it, I was just not thinking straight atm

Jimbuna
08-26-10, 03:21 AM
If I ever go back to school Steve, I want you as my English Language teacher :know:

Sailor Steve
08-26-10, 08:42 AM
No, you don't. Give me a little power and find out what a real grammar and language nazi I really can be. You won't like me anymore. :cry:

August
08-26-10, 09:30 AM
Jim are you coming to this soiree or are you just teasing us?

ivank
08-26-10, 10:06 PM
$9000USD in damage to my car :(

Sledgehammer427
08-26-10, 11:50 PM
ho jeez.
is it covered under your insurance?

ivank
08-27-10, 12:24 AM
ho jeez.
is it covered under your insurance?

Well the Kelly Blue Book of my car is 12-13,000. It depends on what percentage insurance is willing to pay. The mechanic said he does not think it is totalled but he will know later today. And his estimate is 1 week for repair

ivank
08-30-10, 09:28 PM
My car will be ready by next Thursday/Friday.

Sailor Steve
08-30-10, 11:18 PM
WOO-HOO! :rock:

Sledgehammer427
08-31-10, 01:23 PM
-SH427 likes this-:yeah:

ivank
08-31-10, 05:55 PM
You should like this! I am getting tired of driving the Mercedes, I want my baby back.

Sledgehammer427
08-31-10, 07:15 PM
I'll drive the Mercedes.:O:

ivank
08-31-10, 08:37 PM
yeah right, like my dad will go for that :)

ivank
09-08-10, 06:22 PM
Spoke to the body guy yesterday, and he said I get my car back on Friday!!

ivank
09-13-10, 05:52 PM
I have my baby back!!!

Chad
09-13-10, 05:54 PM
Congrats! :yeah:

Good to hear that she's doing okay.

Sledgehammer427
09-13-10, 05:58 PM
woo! \o/

ivank
09-13-10, 07:09 PM
Yea! Looks better than new, feels great, I am happy to have her back. But I have to get use to it, she handles differently when compared to my moms M-Benz E-350. :D Have to get use to the heavy weight and the ultra slow braking and accel.

Sledgehammer427
09-13-10, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to get re-used to my Oldsmobile once I go home.
Man, I miss that thing. :cry:
The terror machine is collecting...
DUST!:o
AND GRASS CLIPPINGS!:stare:
I'll have to save 15 bucks to get it washed when I get home

August
09-13-10, 09:55 PM
I'll have to save 15 bucks to get it washed when I get home

(Puts on O.G. hat)

You know a bucket of soapy water, rag, garden hose and a little elbow grease saves you those 15 bucks to use on something else more important. :up:

Sledgehammer427
09-14-10, 12:34 AM
we don't have any sponges or car washing soap back where I live, so I'd just spend the 15 bucks on getting it washed and live in the moment.
that and our water (well water) is kind of bad for cars.

I will add that 15 bucks pays for the "oober deluxe omg it's fresh from the factory" wash

ivank
09-23-10, 12:01 AM
Got the MapQuests! I can not wait for 10:00AM to leave