PDA

View Full Version : Possible Medical Issues

Subnuts
07-06-10, 08:54 PM
As you may know, I have Wilford Brimley's Disease (more commonly known as Type 1 Diabetes). I've started to wonder how this might affect my participation in the 2010 meet. I need to keep my insulin at a reasonable temperature, and have my test kit within easy access at any time. I usually keep a full tube of glucose tablets with me in case my blood sugar goes low, but in the event of a severe low, I might need something a little stronger.

I generally have excellent control over my diabetes, but I'm a little concerned about having an untreatable low or accidentally breaking a vial of insulin (despite costing $100 a vial, they still make them out of glass!) while I'm away. I haven't been away from home for more than three days since I was diagnosed in 1997, and even then, I usually have a safe place for my "gear" at the destination.

Basically, will my Diabetes be an overriding problem during the meet, or should I just keep my insulin in an insulated cold pack, store it someplace safe, and just not worry about it?

Sailor Steve
07-06-10, 09:37 PM
Good question, and I don't have an answer. I have had Type 2 since 2001, but I was only on insulin for awhile as glyburide and metformin tablets keep it under control.

I wish I knew what to tell you.

nikimcbee
07-06-10, 09:48 PM
As you may know, I have Wilford Brimley's Disease (more commonly known as Type 1 Diabetes). I've started to wonder how this might affect my participation in the 2010 meet. I need to keep my insulin at a reasonable temperature, and have my test kit within easy access at any time. I usually keep a full tube of glucose tablets with me in case my blood sugar goes low, but in the event of a severe low, I might need something a little stronger.

I generally have excellent control over my diabetes, but I'm a little concerned about having an untreatable low or accidentally breaking a vial of insulin (despite costing $100 a vial, they still make them out of glass!) while I'm away. I haven't been away from home for more than three days since I was diagnosed in 1997, and even then, I usually have a safe place for my "gear" at the destination.

Basically, will my Diabetes be an overriding problem during the meet, or should I just keep my insulin in an insulated cold pack, store it someplace safe, and just not worry about it?

Wilford Brimley's Disease (more commonly known as Type 1 Diabetes)

:har:
Welcome to the club!
To answer your question. No! On all fronts! Depending on how hot it is we could get a lunch box with one of those icey packs. I've never had any problems. You definatly don't want to keep it in the car. Keep it out of the sun.
I've never had any problems, I'm more worried about breaking a bottle.

If you get a low blood sugar, I'll take care of you.:D Don't let your diabetes hold you back.

Gerald
07-06-10, 09:50 PM

Don't worry about this,store it and place it,where only you,and maybe some friends you trust, can give you, if there will be and situation,when you can't reach'it just direct,so stay cool, in time be,good luck! :up:

Gerald
07-06-10, 10:20 PM
I read about high temp, in east cost,allmost 80F and more,Have you heard for "how long time the heat" will stay,I reach U.S next week.....puh