PDA

View Full Version : The Battleship Cove Conundrum

Subnuts
04-23-10, 07:07 PM
Just thinkin' out loud again, folks...

The more I look into the overnight camping idea on the Massachusetts, the less likely it seems. Everything I've read about it seems to suggest that it's meant for groups of Boy Scouts only - I haven't seen a single picture or story about ordinary Joes and Janes doing overnights. If it doesn't work out in the end, or unless we can find some kind of loophole in the overnight policy that would let us all sleep over for the night, I'd suggest taking off from New London early in the morning, staying at Battleship Cove until it closes, find a nice restaurant or have a picnic, and head back to New London for the night.

The last time I visited Battleship Cove, I arrived at 11:30, checked out the PT boats, had lunch, and spent the next 3 1/2 hours exploring the Massachusetts and only had an hour to explore the other ships. That's why I recommend taking off for Fall River early in the morning and devoting a day to Battleship Cove. It might add to the driving time, but it cuts back on the convolution somewhat and gives us more of an opportunity to explore the place.

I know it's not the "plan," but this meet might be more workable if it becomes a five-day affair. The Copenhagen meet was originally intended as a four-day event, but went on to a fifth day, right? It seems like a crime to drive right past the Salem on the way to Boston and to ignore the Albacore when it's only an hour to the North. The Albacore is more of esoteric subject rather than something with broad appeal, so maybe a side-trip for anyone interested might be more appropriate. I'd also love to head over to the New England Air Museum at the end of the meet along with anyone heading home via Bradley. It's New England's mecca for aviation buffs...and so few people know it's there!

August
04-23-10, 08:34 PM
Have you tried contacting the Battleship row people and asking? I could do that if you'd like and report back here.

One thing that I think we really need to find out soon is a ball park idea of how many people will be there. Venues that are suitable for say 20 might not be so great if we have twice or three times show up.

August
04-23-10, 08:35 PM
Oh and as for a post battleship row visit picnic there is still the Clam bake idea. :up:

Jeffg
04-24-10, 06:24 PM
I am all for leaving early and spending the day.We just have to wait and see what Neal's itinerary looks like.

JeffG

Bas Langenhof
04-25-10, 02:43 PM
I know it's not the "plan," but this meet might be more workable if it becomes a five-day affair. The Copenhagen meet was originally intended as a four-day event, but went on to a fifth day, right? It seems like a crime to drive right past the Salem on the way to Boston and to ignore the Albacore when it's only an hour to the North. The Albacore is more of esoteric subject rather than something with broad appeal, so maybe a side-trip for anyone interested might be more appropriate. I'd also love to head over to the New England Air Museum at the end of the meet along with anyone heading home via Bradley. It's New England's mecca for aviation buffs...and so few people know it's there!

Sounds Good :up:.
You're Right :), when we did leave Copenhagen last year going home we did go see some ships in wilhelmshaven Germany and we also had to drive a 100 miles of route to get there and stayed there all day and we had to get a hotel and drove home the next morning,but i wouldn't wanted to missed it.