PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Subsim Meet: New London, CT

Onkel Neal
03-11-10, 05:56 PM
The next Subsim meet will be hosted in New London, CT. The agenda will include trips to the Nautilus, Battleship Cove and Boston.

Ok, let's talk dates. Meeting will start on Thursday and run through Sunday. I am penciling in Sept. 23 - 26, but it could flex 2 weeks in either direction.

Any preferences?

thanks!
Neal

Madox58
03-11-10, 08:47 PM
If business keeps going good?
Nancy and I are in!
:up:
BUT!
You have to promise not to wear this shirt!
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/privateer_2006/IMG_0419-1.jpg

:haha:

Pioneer
03-11-10, 09:47 PM
Maybe I missed it, but who is the host?

nikimcbee
03-12-10, 01:53 AM
The next Subsim meet will be hosted in New London, CT. The agenda will include trips to the Nautilus, Battleship Cove and Boston.

Ok, let's talk dates. Meeting will start on Thursday and run through Sunday. I am penciling in Sept. 23 - 26, but it could flex 2 weeks in either direction.

Any preferences?

thanks!
Neal

Where would it be best to set up base camp? ...and which aeroport would be the best?

and who gets to sleep at Neal's house this time?:haha:

AVGWarhawk
03-12-10, 01:23 PM
At this point count me in! :yeah:

Bas Langenhof
03-12-10, 01:36 PM
That's gonna be fun:DL.

Any preferences?

thanks!
Neal
Sept 23 -26 sounds good to me, but any other time is also fine by me, I said to my boss that i needed some time off later this year but I didn't say exactly when. :DL

KeptinCranky
03-12-10, 02:28 PM
Interesting....:hmmm:

I have no particular preference as to dates, as long as the weather is decent :D

Count me in :yeah:

Subnuts
03-12-10, 05:16 PM
September 23rd sounds fine, if only for the totally selfish excuse that it's my birthday. :yeah:

August
03-12-10, 09:51 PM
Southern New England is absolutely beautiful at that time of year. It's a little early for the peak of the foliage season but the bugs are gone. Temps run in the upper 60's to low 70's during the day and down to the low 50's at night.

Torvald Von Mansee
03-12-10, 11:44 PM
There is a chance I might actually go. Is this something you can do on the spur of the moment, if I should happen to have the time?

martes86
03-13-10, 12:52 PM
I have no particular preference as to dates, as long as the weather is decent :D

Specially that! I'd hate to be stuck in a mid-way airport just because of the lousy weather. :nope:
I also hope that the security checks aren't too much of a pain. :hmmm:

Onkel Neal
03-13-10, 03:13 PM
If business keeps going good?
Nancy and I are in!
:up:
BUT!
You have to promise not to wear this shirt!

:haha:

Haha, but what would a Subsim meeting be without the famous Lighthouse shirt? :haha: I've already had three requests that I wear it.

Maybe I missed it, but who is the host?

August, Subnuts, Bill, and myself will be managing this meeting. I sure hope you can come Grant.

Where would it be best to set up base camp? ...and which aeroport would be the best?

and who gets to sleep at Neal's house this time?:haha:

I am working on the base HQ now, watch for a post on it next. :smug:

That's gonna be fun:DL.

Sept 23 -26 sounds good to me, but any other time is also fine by me, I said to my boss that i needed some time off later this year but I didn't say exactly when. :DL

September 23rd sounds fine, if only for the totally selfish excuse that it's my birthday. :yeah:

Someone's gonna get a big kiss!

Southern New England is absolutely beautiful at that time of year. It's a little early for the peak of the foliage season but the bugs are gone. Temps run in the upper 60's to low 70's during the day and down to the low 50's at night.

Perfect, exactly what I wanted to hear. :up:

There is a chance I might actually go. Is this something you can do on the spur of the moment, if I should happen to have the time?

Believe me, it's the most fun you will have in a long time. Yes, you can register and attend on short notice, but hopefully everyone will be able to commit by July.

Jeffg
03-13-10, 08:46 PM
I have no problems with those dates,I may have to miss the annual golf trip to Myrle Beach but I will give up golf and drinking for this.

JeffG

nikimcbee
03-14-10, 06:22 PM
Is Hartford aeroport the best one?

Would somebody be picking us up or rental car? I'm not opposed to getting a rental car.

Chad
03-14-10, 10:54 PM
Is Hartford aeroport the best one?

Would somebody be picking us up or rental car? I'm not opposed to getting a rental car.

Hey Jason,

I think we're going to rent a van or something as a large group. But if that falls through, could my dad and I ride with you? We'd split the cost if it comes to that too.

I'm just hoping we can all ride together in a big van.

nikimcbee
03-14-10, 11:54 PM
Hey Jason,

I think we're going to rent a van or something as a large group. But if that falls through, could my dad and I ride with you? We'd split the cost if it comes to that too.

I'm just hoping we can all ride together in a big van.

Sure thing:yeah: I plan on flying in on SWA, but it's still too early to book a flight. I guess we can work things out when it gets closer.:D

Bill Nichols
03-16-10, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking of bringing my Evo

:D

Chad
03-16-10, 08:27 PM
Alright sweet Jason.

And Bill, since your post you have not shown any pictures of you in it :stare: How's it driving now that you've had it awhile?

Blacklight
03-16-10, 08:53 PM
I live in Connecticut, so I should be able to join you guys this time ! :yeah:
I've always wanted to join a Subsim meetup !

I doubt my wife will allow me to act as host though.

Bill Nichols
03-17-10, 04:44 PM
Alright sweet Jason.

And Bill, since your post you have not shown any pictures of you in it :stare: How's it driving now that you've had it awhile?

Yes, I need to take some pics.

Just passed 12,000 miles, running sweet. The stock tires need to be replaced, already. They were super sticky Yokohamas but their wear characteristics left a bit to be desired. I'm replacing with another set of Yokos that have the same traction rating plus a better wear rating.

Jeffg
03-17-10, 06:13 PM
This is a good story,I work on the Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department in the rescue division as a paramedic. I transported a gentleman yesterday who lives in Boston and was visting down here with his daughter. This older gent tripped going down a step and landed on his knee which was pretty swollen. We were talking about Boston on the way to the hospital and this sub meet and he told me he was in the navy and on the USS Apollo which was a sub tender during the latter stages of WW2. He loves submarines but was unable to be assigned to one during his tour of duty. This fine gentleman gave me his address and phone number and would love to meet the group and take us to a great Boston eatery while we are in the city.

JeffG

KL-alfman
03-19-10, 04:37 PM
which air-port should Europeans fly to?
Boston, I assume, can be reached directly from many cities here. but there was something written about Hartford?
please explain to me which one would be better
(so I can make arrangements!)

August
03-19-10, 06:19 PM
Boston, I assume, can be reached directly from many cities here. but there was something written about Hartford?
please explain to me which one would be better
(so I can make arrangements!)

Hartford is a regional airport. Coming from overseas you'd have to land in Boston or NYC and connect to a local flight in order to get to it.

This is why I suggest spending the first night/day in Boston so as to allow time for everyone to arrive and make it easy for us to make multiple trips to the airport to pick up folks arriving at different times. Then, after seeing the Constitution the next day, and giving time for late comers to catch up, we could caravan down to NL for the bulk of the stay.

Just a suggestion though.

Chad
03-19-10, 07:48 PM
Seems logical August.

Email Neal and get him to add that to the itinerary. :)

Ahhh, I'm getting excited!

August
03-19-10, 08:09 PM
Seems logical August.

Email Neal and get him to add that to the itinerary. :)

Ahhh, I'm getting excited!

Oh i'm sure Neal and Sub both read every post in this sub forum. :DL

Chad
03-19-10, 10:22 PM
Heh yeah I'm sure, this is one of the first forums I check when I log on to Subsim

August
03-19-10, 10:37 PM
Heh yeah I'm sure, this is one of the first forums I check when I log on to Subsim

Me too!

KL-alfman
03-20-10, 08:52 AM

seems logical to me!
thx for your explanation.

VIE - Boston Logan (and back) costs around €520 atm
1 stop at Heathrow though.

Blacklight
03-20-10, 08:12 PM

The airport you want is Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks. It's just north of Hartford.

Onkel Neal
03-20-10, 08:28 PM
Hartford is a regional airport. Coming from overseas you'd have to land in Boston or NYC and connect to a local flight in order to get to it.

This is why I suggest spending the first night/day in Boston so as to allow time for everyone to arrive and make it easy for us to make multiple trips to the airport to pick up folks arriving at different times. Then, after seeing the Constitution the next day, and giving time for late comers to catch up, we could caravan down to NL for the bulk of the stay.

Suggestions are 100% welcome. Yes, good idea, we need to consider airports. Boston or Bradley? I'm not worried about drivers, we can manage that. Can some of you Europeans check you usual flight agencies and see if there is a big difference in airfare between Bradley and Boston? I see $292 RT from Houston to Bradley, $209 from Hou to Boston, that's a hotel room right there.

Gatwick to Boston: $813 US dollars
Heathrow to Boston: $439 US dollars

Heathrow to Bradley: $638 US dollars
Gatwick to Bradley: $692 US dollars

If those prices hold up, it makes sense to consider alternatives.

If we do Bradley, we can follow the New London, Boston, Fall River, New London agenda. If Boston, then it would make more sense to base in Boston and make the excursion to New London on Saturday. Something to think about.

Oh i'm sure Neal and Sub both read every post in this sub forum. :DL

Yeah, I just got to this today, something about a SH5 review has kept me tied up for weeks. :D

KL-alfman
03-20-10, 10:17 PM
Can some of you Europeans check you usual flight agencies and see if there is a big difference in airfare between Bradley and Boston?

the price-difference is around €200 ($260) and one stop more (at least from central-Europe). the UK-members might get a better deal, I suppose.

KL-alfman
03-21-10, 09:01 AM
does someone know about flight-plans from London (all the same which airport) to Hartford Bradley?
couldn't find any useful informations .....
thx in advance!

August
03-21-10, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately you're not going to be able to fly directly into Bradley "International" Airport from Europe unless you come through Canada.

From their website:
Bradley serves both the business and leisure traveler with flights to major U.S. markets as well as Canada and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Charter flights connect Bradley to destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico.

http://www.bradleyairport.com/Flights/index.aspx

KL-alfman
03-21-10, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately you're not going to be able to fly directly into Bradley "International" Airport from Europe unless you come through Canada.

thx!
now I understand why I couldn't find any results in my searches .... ;)

edit:
as I see now Hartford is not that far away from Boston or even New York.
there might by means of public transport (trains or buses) for travelling from either location to Hartford anyway, aren't they??

theluckyone17
03-21-10, 09:42 PM
There are buses from NYC to Hartford... Greyhound either handles the lines themselves, or "subcontracts". Shouldn't be too much of a problem. The bus terminal in Hartford is a good ten miles or so away from Bradley International, though. Call it a $30 taxi ride, if I remember right. The wife and I had a flight cancelled due to bad weather this past February, so we ended up busing into Hartford and flying out of Bradley. Otherwise, I'd have no clue :D.

I plan on participating... New London's only a three hour drive away from Albany, NY. I'll pass through Hartford on my way, too, if we need extra transportation. My Subaru Outback ain't a bus, but it rides better :03:.

Onkel Neal
03-21-10, 10:32 PM
Yes, if this meet is anything like the Houston meets, there are almost always enough local US drivers in attendance to handle transportation. It's pretty cool to get to know a few guys in the car, and then later switch and get some new guys to get to know. Just like being on a sub :)

geetrue
03-21-10, 11:28 PM
It's pretty cool to get to know a few guys in the car, and then later switch and get some new guys to get to know. Just like being on a sub :)

Just one cotton picking minute here ... that doesn't sound like the boats I was on :o

All we did is switch crews ... perhaps the new Navy has female crew members in mind, but I doubt if hot bunking will be allowed :woot:

New London sounds great to me ... hope I can make it. I served five tours of duty out of Groton, Conn (which is where the real sub base is) back in 67 to 71 on the USS Ethan Allen SSBN 609 (Blue) which never even saw new London due to being in Rota, Spain and the Navy would just fly us back and forth in old DC-super strech 8's out of Quosent Point, Rhode Island.

It's the atmosphere in New London that the submarine service generates that you will feel and come to love even if you don't understand it.

There is a submarine library you should check out too ... it has all of the books and many models of subs that were first prototypes.

Good luck to all ... hope to see you there

cappy70
03-22-10, 09:40 AM
Dates suits me. :salute:

I'll drive out from Michigan,,never driven that east bound direction.
I also have to fly to Orlando in mid October,,, so phew:D it is in September.

martes86
03-22-10, 11:06 AM
Whatever you guys decide, don't forget to keep possible attendants informed and up-to-date. I'm not reading the forums to often lately, so there's a chance I'll miss stuff on the way.

I've been doing a little basic search, and going there and coming back would cost me between 600 and 700 euros, and that's doing a "lots-of-months-in-advance" search. If I search for flights this month, it can cost up to 2000 euros, total price AFAIK. So, the sooner this is dealt with the better, or else my assistance would be in grave danger due to the impossibility to afford such high prices if having to buy the tickets in short-notice (the trip and hotel for the 2009 meet almost depleted my account). :-?

Cheers :rock:

CCIP
03-22-10, 11:23 AM
Oh huh, interesting info, thanks August - didn't know they flew to Canada. However, Toronto + Air Canada usually means it's s**t expensive :shifty:

It would be a good idea if the meet could somehow start up in Boston - would simplify it for people who want to catch direct flights.

ivank
03-23-10, 06:00 PM
I am in! And I can fit 6 others in my SUV. So if people need rides to and from the meetings I can drive them I guess.

ivank
03-23-10, 06:03 PM
Yes, I need to take some pics.

Just passed 12,000 miles, running sweet. The stock tires need to be replaced, already. They were super sticky Yokohamas but their wear characteristics left a bit to be desired. I'm replacing with another set of Yokos that have the same traction rating plus a better wear rating.

I have Yokos too, good stuff.

sonar732
04-08-10, 10:44 AM
I wonder if you could get the gang from Sonalysts to show up since they're right there?

August
04-08-10, 10:46 AM
I wonder if you could get the gang from Sonalysts to show up since they're right there?

There was some talk about visiting them.

sonar732
04-08-10, 03:18 PM
I can get a ticket from STL to BOS non-stop for $266 thru AA or take the $164 one stop with change in Newark thru Continental. 2.5 hour flight compared to 5 hour flight...mmmmm.

Tchocky
04-27-10, 05:21 PM
New England in September, tempting :)

Cash and leave pending

Chad
04-27-10, 08:33 PM
Well you should come then! Let your temptation have the best of you :DL

I don't think any plans are 100% yet, but better to start planning now than later

Jimbuna
05-21-10, 02:17 PM
Is anyone planning on coming from the UK?

August
05-21-10, 03:01 PM
Is anyone planning on coming from the UK?

How many times are you gonna ask? :DL

Sailor Steve
05-21-10, 03:50 PM
Until he gets an answer, or doesn't get one.:cry:

nikimcbee
05-21-10, 03:52 PM

So I'll ask it in another fashion. Jim are you coming?:hmmm:

August
05-21-10, 06:17 PM

I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

To everyone from the UK I want to make the following assurance:

The Revolution is over. You are now all quite welcome to visit! :yeah:

Sailor Steve
05-21-10, 07:14 PM
Well, Jim has been to Texas, which is not quite the same thing. But still...

August
05-21-10, 07:55 PM
Well, Jim has been to Texas, which is not quite the same thing. But still...

No it's not, I just wanted our British friends to know we don't shoot muskets at them any more *, we just occasionally chase them around with children. :D

http://www.ciaobambino.com/ciaobambinoblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/patriots-day-concord-ma.jpg

* Except on April 19th and then only if they're wearing red coats.

Jimbuna
05-22-10, 08:29 AM

Answered ever so succinctly by Steve :DL

Until he gets an answer, or doesn't get one.:cry:

Rgr that mate :DL

If it doesn't clash with my trip to Alaska Jason (totally dependant on sons company availability scheme) I'd like to say yes.....but I remember 18 months back telling Neal I didn't fancy a lone trip across the Atlantic.

<In a respectable tone> I remember my mental list of those initially putting themselves down as going then watched the list dwindle down to a strength of one (me).

I travelled alone because the reward/bonus at the other end was meeting some of my fellow Grey Wolves in person for the very first time.....in fact as I recall I was the only Brit there that year.

TarJak came from Australia and actually arranged the accomodation we shared so it was easier to plan positively and book the four flights early.

Another bonus was obviously meeting Neal, Steve, yourself, James and a good many more people I am now proud to consider as my friends (sorry but I can't name you all for fear of missing somebody out unintentionally LOL).

This time round TarJak has already advised me he won't be attending and I already know what your ugly mug looks like LOL.

Another point.....whilst money is no obstacle here, I wouldn't feel to keen on paying for a single occupancy room (I've never been a lone drinker LOL).

So I guess I can't commit just yet until I see what pans out here.

But if and when I do, I'll post here first :salute:

Jimbuna
05-22-10, 08:30 AM
No it's not, I just wanted our British friends to know we don't shoot muskets at them any more *, we just occasionally chase them around with children. :D

http://www.ciaobambino.com/ciaobambinoblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/patriots-day-concord-ma.jpg

* Except on April 19th and then only if they're wearing red coats.

That's great....it should mean cheaper travel insurance then :DL:03: