PDA

View Full Version : Can we bring back the old style explosions

nycoroner05
03-07-10, 06:15 AM
These Hollywood type explosions are garbage. Can we someone mod the older style explosions with debris?

Thanks guys.

TheDarkWraith
03-07-10, 06:19 AM
These Hollywood type expolsions are garbarge. Can we someone mod the older style explosions with debris?

Thanks guys.

Like Racerboy did in SH3?

Stormfly
03-07-10, 08:55 AM
+1

lets ged rid of this childish birthday firework :woot:

Sonarman
03-07-10, 09:02 AM
A good idea since the "fireworks display" seems to be the only thing slowing the game down for us on old single core machines.

coronas
03-07-10, 09:09 AM
And realistic sinkings, please. Too much ships in flames. Are all of them loaded with high explosives or flammable liquids?:hmmm:

:salute:

McHibbins
03-07-10, 01:00 PM
And realistic sinkings, please. Too much ships in flames. Are all of them loaded with high explosives or flammable liquids?:hmmm:

:salute:

But some explosions are nice and the fire looks real imho:hmmm:
Realistic sinkings ? Yes please !

Stormfly
03-07-10, 02:30 PM
But some explosions are nice and the fire looks real imho:hmmm:
Realistic sinkings ? Yes please !

i think its only the particle explosions all over above some ships...

urfisch
03-07-10, 02:35 PM
yes, im on it...alredy changed some effects today, but lost them, due to a crash of the editor.

:(

i will definitely change the effects, as i already changed them in sh3. but its not that easy...and fast done. anyway...im on it.

;)

nycoroner05
03-07-10, 02:51 PM
can't wait. lets us know when you are done please.

Decoman
03-07-10, 02:57 PM
I wonder if it would it be hard to create a really violent explosion effect, with splintered material projected outwards at great speed.

Such an effect is perhaps best suited for ammunition storage exploding from inside a freighter or a warship. Not sure what would happen to the engine compartement and if the boilers (if any) could explode.

On that note, how about some extra puff of smoke shooting out of the funnel when a ship explodes in the center. That would look nice I think. I wonder if what I am imagining with this look is realistic.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a mod that creates a LOT of smoke in general. Maybe there would be some plausible reason for creating a different colored smoke?

utops
03-07-10, 03:10 PM
I saw some explosions here and there on the web via youtube and what i like is a smoke from portholes and vent pipes, thats all.

Susexx
03-08-10, 12:33 AM
A good idea since the "fireworks display" seems to be the only thing slowing the game down for us on old single core machines.

Yessss +1000 :up:

vivieehk
03-08-10, 01:47 AM
support also

te explosion will make it laggy and the effect is not that nice.....

Adriatico
03-08-10, 02:23 AM
yes, im on it...alredy changed some effects today, but lost them, due to a crash of the editor.

i will definitely change the effects, as i already changed them in sh3. but its not that easy...and fast done. anyway...im on it.

;)

Blow them out urfisch :o:arrgh!::o !!!
:up:

Susexx
03-08-10, 03:52 AM
need old sytle expolsions, splash, cannon tracers...plz Urfisch

DasBoot73
03-08-10, 08:11 AM
Agree with OP, new effects are pretty but not realistic.

urfisch
03-08-10, 08:17 AM
tonight, i will get hands on this again...maybe i can post some progress tomorrow. the effects are built quite complex...but in the same way as in sh3, and now with a preview-feature. so its "just" a lot of "try&error" and see, how adjusting the controllers looks ingame.

;)

Susexx
03-08-10, 01:06 PM
tonight, i will get hands on this again...maybe i can post some progress tomorrow. the effects are built quite complex...but in the same way as in sh3, and now with a preview-feature. so its "just" a lot of "try&error" and see, how adjusting the controllers looks ingame.

;)

Ok, all Russia with old CPU wait your work :rock:

doomlordis
03-08-10, 01:53 PM
could SH4s effects be directly ported to SH5? The effects in this game cause an issue with us single core users, the game can be running at 100fps but the explosions will run in spurts! , around 1 fps.

The things affected that i have noticed are :

Muzzle flashes (actual tracers are fine)
all shell splashes
propeller wake
explosions

What do these things have in common?

TheDarkWraith
03-08-10, 02:09 PM
could SH4s effects be directly ported to SH5? The effects in this game cause an issue with us single core users, the game can be running at 100fps but the explosions will run in spurts! , around 1 fps.

The things affected that i have noticed are :

Muzzle flashes (actual tracers are fine)
all shell splashes
propeller wake
explosions

What do these things have in common?

don't worry, urfisch is on 'em :cool:

nycoroner05
03-08-10, 06:30 PM

;)

Give them hell! I know you can do it!

Thank you for your time

Mike@UK
03-08-10, 07:27 PM
I also get the feeling that Aircraft explosions will need to be toned down abit, after I took a pot shot at a Swordfish resulting in it disintegrating into a huge fireball about 10 times it's own size. :hmmm:

Granted I've only shot one plane down, so it might just have been a 1 off (like his Torp/Bombs detonated or some such) but it seems unlikely.

ingsoc84
03-08-10, 07:45 PM
don't worry, urfisch is on 'em :cool:

God Im experiencing this EXACT same thing, IM going to build a quad core rig, but until then, ti would be awfully nice to see the explosions and such playable for us single core users, the game runs GREAT with my amd fx57 2.81 EXCEPT the muzzle flashes, explosions, and prop splash, I jsut play it even with this because I do like the game, but if we could get a work around/fix for us single core users, that would be icing on the cake! thanks!

nycoroner05
03-08-10, 07:55 PM

;)

Sir the other thing I noticed it the muzzle flashes and the depth charges are crap as well. They just sit there like frozen in time. My fame rate does not drop the explosions just site there and go slowly.

I know you will do your best!

ingsoc84
03-08-10, 10:35 PM
Cant wait to see the result!:yeah:

Susexx
03-09-10, 03:22 AM
Waiting ! It is very difficult...for me :D

urfisch
03-09-10, 04:01 AM
im sorry but you must be patient...there is a serious problem in saving dat files from goblin. as long as this problem exists, i can not edit anything, as silent3ditor doesnt open the dats properly any more...

Susexx
03-09-10, 04:32 AM
Goblin not working with DAT files ??? :o Why ?

ingsoc84
03-10-10, 06:02 PM
Just keeping this thread alive, and hoping for a fix, love the game, and would love to see the explosions in true fps, for now, its sh3 gwx3.0...until a fix or a faster machine is built!>

TheDarkWraith
03-11-10, 03:18 AM
could SH4s effects be directly ported to SH5?

Maybe not a direct port but should be able to be done (from quick glance of the particles.dat and materials.dat files).

nothing a little hex editing can't fix....;) Yes, the SH5 effects are, well, yeah, they need an overhaul!
Plus we're missing exhaust from the sub....boy I'm going to be busy..:cool:

urfisch
03-11-10, 03:30 AM
nice to see you back onboard!!!

Nico09
03-11-10, 04:38 AM
Why dont people just play SH4 if what they want is same explosions and GUI?:hmmm:

nycoroner05
03-11-10, 04:51 AM
Maybe not a direct port but should be able to be done (from quick glance of the particles.dat and materials.dat files).

nothing a little hex editing can't fix....;) Yes, the SH5 effects are, well, yeah, they need an overhaul!
Plus we're missing exhaust from the sub....boy I'm going to be busy..:cool:
Nice to have you on board! I just installed your fix for SH3. fantastic work!

doomlordis
03-11-10, 05:04 AM
Why dont people just play SH4 if what they want is same explosions and GUI?:hmmm:

My hope is that some new effects (less cpu intensive?) may fix the single core issue that caused the existing explosions, splashes etc to go slideshow on you!

urfisch
03-11-10, 06:00 AM
to get sh4 effects in sh5...means:

all *.zon (sim) files of the ships have to be modified. cause there are the effects assigned. the old particle.dat is loaded from the game. so, the effects are loaded. they just need to be chosen...

go for it

;)

doomlordis
03-11-10, 06:44 AM
i cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not, i take it thats a major/impossible job?

If it is just a time consuming one i am up for it!

I am trying to understand what it is about the propellor wake that makes it run slow, i wish i knew programming...

I have monitored my cpu usage when running this game and it is never above 75%, so it must just be coded specifically for dual cores.

nycoroner05
03-11-10, 07:24 AM
i cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not, i take it thats a major/impossible job?

I am trying to understand what it is about the propellor wake that makes it run slow, i wish i knew programming...

I have monitored my cpu usage when running this game and it is never above 75%, so it must just be coded specifically for dual cores.

Single core user here. Runs fine except for the explosions, depth charges and anti aircraft fire. We correct those us single core users can continue to enjoy the game. I mean I can run all SH games and UT3 without issues at full graphics.

best of luck. If I knew anything about editing these files I would get right on it.

TheDarkWraith
03-11-10, 10:57 AM
Single core user here. Runs fine except for the explosions, depth charges and anti aircraft fire. We correct those us single core users can continue to enjoy the game. I mean I can run all SH games and UT3 without issues at full graphics.

best of luck. If I knew anything about editing these files I would get right on it.

@doomlordis and nycoroner05:

can you edit text files? If so, you can assist in getting the SH4 style effects for SH5 (along with new ones). You'll be tasked with editing the zones.cfg file to add the effects if you so desire to help.
This part sounds scary but it's really easy. You'll need to be able to use a hex editor ONLY to open files I tell you to to get the effects names to use for the zones.cfg file. What do you all say?

doomlordis
03-11-10, 12:30 PM

can you edit text files? If so, you can assist in getting the SH4 style effects for SH5 (along with new ones). You'll be tasked with editing the zones.cfg file to add the effects if you so desire to help.
This part sounds scary but it's really easy. You'll need to be able to use a hex editor ONLY to open files I tell you to to get the effects names to use for the zones.cfg file. What do you all say?

Yep im in!

Sailor Steve
03-11-10, 12:34 PM
For the same reason the SH4 GUI mod is so popular - SH5 has better graphics, but the explosions are flashy but not realistic.

Nobody has to use any mod. They are there for people who want something different.

nycoroner05
03-11-10, 12:56 PM

I'm in. Just never done this before, but I do my best. What hex editor should I use?

ingsoc84
03-11-10, 07:03 PM
Any progress on this mod? sorry for my impatience, I love the game, and wish I could see all the eye candy without spenidng 2k to build a new rig at the moment..

ingsoc84
03-11-10, 07:08 PM

If you need any help with this, Im in, I have plenty of time, just would need detailed instructins as to what to do specificially, thanks!

doomlordis
03-11-10, 08:00 PM
Eyecandy fix has been found (works for me) , after launching the game open task manager , right cluck sh5 process and set priority to high. Job done!
The explosions are soo over the top though , far too much fire.

nycoroner05
03-11-10, 09:19 PM
Eyecandy fix has been found (works for me) , after launching the game open task manager , right cluck sh5 process and set priority to high. Job done!
The explosions are soo over the top though , far too much fire.

Single core steped them up a little but not much.

Thank you though

ingsoc84
03-12-10, 01:05 AM
Gonna give it a try and report back!

urfisch
03-12-10, 02:20 AM
:o

:yeah:

Susexx
03-12-10, 05:08 PM
And what ? :hmmm::06: How it is possible to correct explosions? I have understood nothing.

ingsoc84
03-12-10, 07:43 PM
No luck, assigning high priority to sh5 does not fix the single core user problem of the fps drop to 1-2 during explosions, water splash, because its still optimized for dual core processors, until someone figures that out, its just too slow to be fun.

nycoroner05
03-12-10, 07:50 PM
No luck, assigning high priority to sh5 does not fix the single core user problem of the fps drop to 1-2 during explosions, water splash, because its still optimized for dual core processors, until someone figures that out, its just too slow to be fun.

tried the same and set to high priority and I got a little improvement but not much. We need to figure out how to change the explosions, flack and depth charges

nycoroner05
03-12-10, 07:51 PM
I'm in. Just never done this before, but I do my best. What hex editor should I use?
can't make head or tails of this editor. I will keep trying

doomlordis
03-13-10, 02:24 AM
Sorry to hear that it hasn't solved your slideshow, it has completly fixed mine. Try it at 1024 * 768

ingsoc84
03-13-10, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear that it hasn't solved your slideshow, it has completly fixed mine. Try it at 1024 * 768

Are you running a single core cpu?

rascal101
03-13-10, 08:50 PM
Hi to you - just wondering if there is a way to slow down the ingame explosions - sure some of them are a bit silly or arcade like - or at least look badly superimposed - but I wonder if instead of tryig to edit them perhaps in the mean time we could slow them down

To my mind much of the problem is that the look a bit too spead up when compared to the real thing - is there soe way of just editing the spead with which explosions spread and fire starts

Regards

R

Susexx
03-19-10, 01:53 PM
There are no chances for the single-core processor??? :cry: