PDA

View Full Version : [REL] MightyFine Crew Mod

Pages : [1] 2

Heretic
03-06-10, 06:09 PM
New Version 1.2.1
released 22 March 2010.

Confirmed. New version fixes the non-responsive aft hydroplane operator from v1.2.

Added command-based behaviors and sound effects.

Commands currently implemented:
Dive - bridge cleared, engine changeover, tanks flooded, hydroplane orders
Surface - tanks blown, hydroplane orders
Periscope Depth - if on surface, dive sequence, else just hydroplane orders
Snorkel Depth - if on surface, dive sequence, else just hydroplane orders
Emergency Surface- all tanks blown
Crash Dive* - bridge cleared, engine changeover, tanks flooded, hydroplane orders
Set Depth (clicking depth gauge) - just hydroplane orders

***NOTE***
With the addition of command-based actions, the commands matter more now. If you change your depth by clicking on the depth gauge, the commands 'dive, surface' etc, will not be triggered and the new behaviors will not occur. To get the full effect of this mod, use the commands, either by mouse click or hotkeys. You can still use the depth gauge for changes other than dive/surface.

***NOTE 2***
The stock Crash dive command has a problem and does not trigger the crash dive script, so my crash dive behaviors will not trigger. I have included an optional workaround that uses the set depth command to trigger crash dive. Using that option, changing depth via the dive gauge will trigger a crash dive if the boat is on the surface, no matter what depth you click, so use with caution.
The override should be installed after the main mod package and should never be used by itself.

***NOTE 3***
This will conflict with some sound mods, notably those using Das Boot sound clips. Everything will still work, but the sounds may not play or be different than intended.

Download: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1572

MightyFine Crew Mod for Silent Hunter 5
================================================
Version: 1.2.1
Author: Heretic
Date: 22 March 2010

Description
===========
This is a mod for the crew AI to make them behave more realistically. Currently, it addresses only the bridge watch and control room crew. Future versions will include changes for other crew members for surface and submerged cruising, surfaced and submerged battle stations, being attacked and/or damaged, and damage control.
http://webpages.charter.net/mdpeyton/SH5/MFCM_1_2_A.jpg

This mod is an improvisation using animations that were not made for the uses I'm putting them to. Because of this, there will be occasions where things don't line up perfectly and you'll see more clipping. The game has no collision detection so crewmen will sometimes walk through each other. I've tried to add timing logic to minimize this, but it's still going to happen more often than not.

There are no animations for climbing ladders or going through hatches, crewmen teleport. I have added animations to try to make that transition a little less jarring. It's a workaround. Don't expect too much.

I think some of the stock heads are gamey or just look too old, so I changed them. Some of the changes no longer fit with the storyline, ie the eyepatch. I changed the WO only because his head was too big for a hat. Either ignore the inconsistancies or use the stock version.

http://webpages.charter.net/mdpeyton/SH5/MFCM_1_2_B.jpg

You can choose from stock or alternate heads. Beards are provided for each option. You can start out with beards or you can choose the no beards option to start your patrol and switch over to the beard option whenever you think appropriate. I'd eventually like to make the beards 'grow' over time. In the meantime, it's a manual process of swapping out one mod version for another.

Install only one version at a time.
1. MightyFine Crew Mod 1.1 Stock Head - Stock character heads
2. MightyFine Crew Mod 1.1 Alt Heads - Alternate character heads
3. MightyFine Crew Mod 1.1 Stock/Beards - Stock heads with beards
4. MightyFine Crew Mod 1.1 Alt/Beards - Alternate heads with beards

Save game compatible. You can change between versions at any time.

Installation
============
Install and uninstall with JSGME.
Install only one version.

Known Issues or Bugs
====================
Due to a stock bug, the crew sometimes doesn't move inside when submerged.

Incompatibility
===============
The mod is incompatable with any mod that touches the same files as well as any mod that changes the crew body parts or waypoints. Texture replacers are fine.

Contact
=======
Problems issues and comments can be directed to me on the Subsim.com forums release thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163591 or via PM.

Changelog
=======
1.2.1 Released 22 March, 2010
Fixes to remove conflicts between strategies

Redid the timimg logic to make it more dependable. Changed the bridge watch to use different waypoints and animations, getting eveeryone using biniculars and opening up the front area for the player. Added command-based actions connecting crew behavior to the player's commands. Added sound effects for the crew in the control room.

Tweaked the timing logic so crew shouldn't stack up as much. Removed beards on the Fore Quarters crew for Stock w/ no beards option. Changed uniforms for gun crews.

Additional Uniform and animation tweaks. Added animation sequences for going on/off bridge watch. Changed 4th Bridge Watch to E-Motor man since PETTY01 is flak crew. Added INIT strategies to handle starting conditions. Added additional versions for alt character heads and beards.

CR_HA - Added animations for watch sequence. Set uniform for submerged station.
CR_HF - Added animations for watch sequence. Set uniform for submerged station.
CR_SO_01 - Changed head again - alt version.
CR_CHIEF - Changed head and uniform - alt version
QRF_WATCH - Changed head - alt version.
QRF_Petty_01 - Removed from bridge watch.
QRF_WATCH - Added animations for watch sequence.
TRA_EE_PORT02 - Replaced petty_01 at bridge watch.
TRA_LOAD01 - The 'gunner' uniform changed.

1.0 Initial release
Uniform and animations tweaks. Added 4th man to Bridge Watch. Removed pointing animations from bridge watch. WO moved off UZO. Head transplant for XO.

CR_CHIEF - Added officer cap. Changed uniform to overalls.
CR_HA - Added hat,leathers,binocs. Changed watch animations.
CR_HELM - Added hat.
CR_HF - Added leathers, binocs. Changed watch animations.
CR_SO_01 - Changed head. Added officer cap.
CR_VALVE - Added hat.
DER_DE_CPO - Changed cap from officers version to petty officer.
QRF_Petty_01 - Added to bridge watch. Added hat, leathers, binocs.
QRF_WATCH - Moved off UZO. Added binocs.

Resuse/Permissions
===============
Please ask for permission before using this work in any other mod or compilation. If I do not respond to a PM within 2 weeks, you made a good faith effort and permission can be considered granted.

CCIP
03-06-10, 06:10 PM
Wonderful, thanks!

Just to inquire - any luck with adding crew to the interior? Is that something in the works, or have you run into any difficulties?

Heretic
03-06-10, 06:20 PM
Wonderful, thanks!

Just to inquire - any luck with adding crew to the interior? Is that something in the works, or have you run into any difficulties?

I haven't tried yet. I suspect it'll be quite a bit more involved. I used an existing crewman for the bridge watch. He also mans the flak gun.

iambecomelife
03-06-10, 06:22 PM
My prayers have been answered! No more pirate!!!

bigboywooly
03-06-10, 06:29 PM
Many thanx
Looks much better

piri_reis
03-06-10, 06:32 PM
Fantastic, thank you.

dagamecat
03-06-10, 06:41 PM
*applause*

Thanks a lot.

wetwarev7
03-06-10, 07:03 PM
Yay! thank you thank you thank you!

Decoman
03-06-10, 07:03 PM
Aquestion just occurred to me, is your/my character never represented in the game as a 3d character, like when using the external camera trying to look back at yourself?

Which will always make you disappear from the top of the conning tower when using the external camera?

Highbury
03-06-10, 07:04 PM
Looks great! it may seem kinda odd to have the crew calling him the "pirate" and having conversations about his eye patch if there is none however. lol

Did you by chance remove his medals? It bugged me that his profile said no medals and I can see them on his chest.

Algonquinwolf
03-06-10, 07:06 PM
any way to get a version without the head transplant?

gutted
03-06-10, 07:07 PM
Yeah i was about to say... the crew talk about the "pirate" on board.

Captain: "What do you think of our new XO"

Cook: "Who.. the pirate?"

LOL

CCIP
03-06-10, 07:09 PM
There could be other reasons to call him pirate?:DL

Highbury
03-06-10, 07:12 PM
There could be other reasons to call him pirate?:DL

There is a conversation with the sound man where he questions having a guy with an eye patch, and you tell them BdU must have had their reasons or something. I have a feeling that there will be more on that topic in the story.. so until the story can be edited or removed, then no eye patch is almost worse then having one! lol

Heretic
03-06-10, 07:15 PM
If you want the eye patch back, change "strategy CR_SO_01_NORMAL(wp)" in file Crew_Idle_Actions_CR.aix back to how it is in stock. The XO doubles as the Captain in the tutorial. They just change his appearance.

UberMatz
Outstanding!!! I'll take them to sea!! :up:

etheberge
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1372

jimimadrid
03-06-10, 08:21 PM
@Heretic

I change also Erich's picture to nonpirate. You can add the file to your mod.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/813/xokopie.jpg

Download here -> http://jimimadrid.kilu.de/SilentHunter/No Pirate XO.rar (http://jimimadrid.kilu.de/SilentHunter/No%20Pirate%20XO.rar)

Heretic
03-06-10, 08:50 PM
@Heretic
I change also Erich's picture to nonpirate. You can add the file to your mod.

Thanks. I considered doing that but I'm not satisfied with his headectomy just yet. The one I'm using doesn't seem to have the detail of the others. I'm trying other heads. When I get it finalized, I'll probably include a head for the bio page.

Paco
03-07-10, 03:30 AM
Great work,

Mark75
03-07-10, 03:31 AM
Thank you Heretic. I'm looking forward to use this mod :up:

coronas
03-07-10, 05:24 AM
Amazing! They look as real deck wacht crew now!:yeah:
Thanks!
Please, something alike for gun crew.
:salute:

Ablemaster
03-07-10, 12:16 PM
Excellent mate, much better now, thankyou lots.

Dowly
03-07-10, 12:23 PM
Great work! Thanks!! :salute:

Vanagen
03-07-10, 12:30 PM
Excellent work!

Here is the edited Crew_Idle_Actions_CR.aix file to put the eyepatch back in. Unload mod, replace file included in mod and reload mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzdj0z4ddnj

:arrgh!: :arrgh!: :arrgh!:

HAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!
Avast me hearties!

Hoist the main sail, scrape the poop deck!

Heretic
03-07-10, 12:30 PM
1.) Can you change the animations so that the glasses are not put down
within 10 minutes? This will be much more realistic.

Not sure what you mean? The front two lowering their their glasses to look around? I can make some changes so it happens less often.

2.) Can you give the 4th. crewman a glass too?
There are no animation for using binoclulars set up for use on the bridge(?!). So I have to make do with animations for use in other places. None of them line up with the 4th crewman, so I cannot make him use his binocs until we get custom animations.

3.) Can you give the Officer a hat similiar in SH3?
The Watch Officer's got a big melon! If I put a hat on him, his hair pokes through too much. That will have to wait for custom models.

I'm working on getting more crewmen on the deck gun for the next version.

redcoat22
03-07-10, 01:13 PM
Great work on this!

Vanagen
03-07-10, 01:37 PM
How do I keep this from happening?

There doesn't seem to be a command to clear the bridge, or is there?

http://i47.tinypic.com/6zy6w4.jpg

Heretic
03-07-10, 02:02 PM
How do I keep this from happening?

There doesn't seem to be a command to clear the bridge, or is there?

It's a stock bug. There's a flag that's supposed to be accessed with Wp:IsSurfaced() and Wp:IsSubmerged(). If it doesn't get set properly, the script can't trigger the transition.

Vanagen
03-07-10, 02:33 PM
Well, that sucks. Is there a workaround?

It doesn't seem to happen without your mod, though. The crew always clears the bridge at the very last moment.

winkelmander
03-07-10, 03:13 PM
great job! maybe the hole Boot gets step by step more alive. I wich the bow torpedo room could look like more that there were living all the sailors.

Vanagen
03-07-10, 03:58 PM
It's a stock bug. There's a flag that's supposed to be accessed with Wp:IsSurfaced() and Wp:IsSubmerged(). If it doesn't get set properly, the script can't trigger the transition.

FIXED!

When I start playing, I need to load the game (which takes a minute or so), then load the game AGAIN (which takes about 10 seconds).

Otherwise, pretty much everything modded seems to be broken, ranging from the "depth under keel" command with Church's Keyboard Commands, to the DepthFix and the men staying on deck when diving.

My apologies for accusing you in any way, good sir.

Your mod makes this game a million times more awesome.

Gerd Kelbling
03-07-10, 04:12 PM
Thank you so much for this GREAT Mod!!!
Now they are 4 Men on the Brücke,and the 1WO doesn`t look like a Pirate.:arrgh!:
A U-Bootmann with only one Eye.............:har:

Thanks again,and Greetings from Vienna!!!

kapitan_zur_see
03-07-10, 05:05 PM
bloody glorious is what I say! :arrgh!:
Thanks a lot!!
This game shows it's moddable very quickly indeed, it took us so much more time to figure it out in SH4 and SH3

lynx
03-07-10, 07:02 PM
Heretic, :up:fantastic thanks!

Therion_Prime
03-08-10, 05:30 AM
And it will be bring more realistic feeeling if they do not set down thir gkasses so often.
I think one time within 10 mintues will be o.k..

Eeh, try looking through binocs for 10 minutes non-stop on a ship in 15 knots windspeed. You're gonna puke all over the place (and your eyes are gonna implode). :D

Therion_Prime
03-08-10, 05:37 AM
Great work heretic!

While you're at it, could you replace some/all "worried" animations in the strategies "damage taken" (not sure if thet means the boat or the crew member) and "proximity explosions" with "panic01" and "panic02" animations?

I've also seen (unused ?)animations of sailors falling out of their beds :D

Sgtmonkeynads
03-08-10, 05:40 AM
I'm working on getting more crewmen on the deck gun for the next version.

:woot:+ infinity!!!!!

That was the add on from sh4 that I missed the most.
A six man gun crew ! or four, depending on gun.
I can't wait.
All this the first week, my God man what does the future hold.:o:rock:

sergei
03-08-10, 07:35 AM
Outstanding work Heretic.

Pascal
03-08-10, 07:50 AM
Superb !

Its not your Mod, but objects like binoculars go inside legs, or legs go inside steel

hector
03-08-10, 02:20 PM
A really excellent mod indeed.:yeah:

Just on a personal preference,i would liked to have seen the guy to the left of the UZO(as looking from bridge to bow of boat) moved back more towards the sailor behind him.I/my character like to stand front left hand side and it can be a little crowded(as it probably was in reality)and with him so close behind me,a lot of "clipping"? happens as i look around and it seems a tad claustrophobic....Just a thought.

As mentioned above..would it be possible to get the crew on deck into some sort of protective clothing in bad weather.

Thanks again for all the work you have put into this mod:salute:

Hector

Heretic
03-08-10, 02:43 PM
Just on a personal preference,i would liked to have seen the guy to the left of the UZO(as looking from bridge to bow of boat) moved back more towards the sailor behind him.I/my character like to stand front left hand side and it can be a little crowded(as it probably was in reality)and with him so close behind me,a lot of "clipping"? happens as i look around and it seems a tad claustrophobic....Just a thought.

As mentioned above..would it be possible to get the crew on deck into some sort of protective clothing in bad weather.

I hear ya. The problem is there aren't any animations for the bridge watch using binoculars. I have to make do with animations made for other purposes. It's a workaround. One lined up real nice for the starboard rear guy. I found one that works good enough for the front two, but as you can see, they're searching ahead rather than the proper quarter. I couldn't find one to match the port rear at all which is why he doesn't use his binoculars. I can't control were the crewman stand beyond the waypoint I assign them to. There are 5 waypoints on the bridge, counting the UZO. Sometimes the animation I find is offset and I can use that to my advantage. Sometimes it make it worse.

I can definitely put different uniforms on them for different conditions if I can identify that condition. Currently, I don't know a way to identify the weather conditions.

Soon people will start making custom animations and adding waypoints and we're going to be able to do amazing things.

hector
03-08-10, 02:57 PM
Heretic,
No worries mate,you can only do what you can

Much appreciated

Hector

redcoat22
03-10-10, 01:26 PM
Great work, very exciting

piri_reis
03-10-10, 02:22 PM
I can definitely put different uniforms on them for different conditions if I can identify that condition. Currently, I don't know a way to identify the weather conditions.

I did a search for 'weather' but didn't come up with any useful pointers:
Just one, UPCData\UPCCrewData\CrewMembers3D.upc file,
it looks like it's got some definitions for normal, hot, cold, rainy weather and an additional 'dirty' state.. :hmmm:

Heretic
03-10-10, 04:09 PM
I did a search for 'weather' but didn't come up with any useful pointers:
Just one, UPCData\UPCCrewData\CrewMembers3D.upc file,
it looks like it's got some definitions for normal, hot, cold, rainy weather and an additional 'dirty' state.. :hmmm:

I believe that file is from SH4 and not used in this one.

barryd
03-12-10, 10:28 AM
Like someone mentioned earlier, the crewman to the left of the UZO is in my way. Is there an easy way to just delete him from the deck? I mean, I enjoy the extra set of eyes and all but he's all up in my personal space and I've had enough of him bird-dogging me. :)
Thanks!

Holin
03-12-10, 10:55 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1414

In what could be the problem?

Heretic
03-12-10, 11:02 AM
Like someone mentioned earlier, the crewman to the left of the UZO is in my way. Is there an easy way to just delete him from the deck? I mean, I enjoy the extra set of eyes and all but he's all up in my personal space and I've had enough of him bird-dogging me. :)
Thanks!

Well, since the main purpose of the mod is to provide a 4 man bridge watch, the easiest way to get rid of him is to uninstall the mod. :03:

Otherwise, you can just edit strategy QRF_PETTY01_Surfaced in file Crew_Idle_Actions_QR1.aix. It's pretty basic as far as scripting goes. And now that I look at it after learning more, it's pretty crudely done. Next version does things much better. The Crew AI Scripting link in my sig will give you all the information you need.

barryd
03-12-10, 11:14 AM
ok thanks Heretic. I don't want to uninstall the mod because I like having the watch officer off the UZO as well as the uniforms and other benefits of the mod. I'll dig around the files as you instructed. Thanks again.

Is it possible to just comment out "strategy QRF_PETTY01_Surfaced"?

hector
03-12-10, 11:39 AM
Barryd
What i found best to do here is to actually stand in that sailors "exact" place which isnt difficult to do quickly,then i am not aware of him at all anymore.Its like literally stepping into his shoes.
Hope all that makes sense

Hector

redcoat22
03-12-10, 06:55 PM
Any updates?

Heretic
03-12-10, 07:30 PM
1.1 should be out tonight or tomorrow. It'll be a refined version of the WIP I released earlier in the week. There'll be four versions - original heads or alternate heads, with added beards options for each. Then it's on to 1.2. I have lots of things I want to try.

Heretic
03-13-10, 11:04 PM
1.1 released. See first post for details. This version is considerably more complex then before with better transitions on the ladder. Pretty good, I think, but don't expect a professional job. It's still an improvisation.

Hidalgo
03-14-10, 03:57 AM
Excellent work Heretic. :yeah:

Improve this mod. :|\\

coronas
03-14-10, 04:16 AM
Hats up!
Suggestion: Same clothes and helmets for deck gun crew.
Thanks in advance.

etheberge
03-14-10, 04:29 AM
1.1 released. See first post for details. This version is considerably more complex then before with better transitions on the ladder. Pretty good, I think, but don't expect a professional job. It's still an improvisation.

I used v1.1 tonight (my first time actually playing the game for real since the 28th, lol) and it worked well. The watch on deck is perfect and the diving animations looked pretty good from the control room and that's the most important part. Of course it would be nice to have completely seamless transitions with all new animations all over the boat but I'm sure that will come in time.

It's truly amazing what this community accomplished in two weeks.

Robert82285
03-14-10, 04:55 AM
I used v1.1 tonight (my first time actually playing the game for real since the 28th, lol) and it worked well. The watch on deck is perfect and the diving animations looked pretty good from the control room and that's the most important part. Of course it would be nice to have completely seamless transitions with all new animations all over the boat but I'm sure that will come in time.

It's truly amazing what this community accomplished in two weeks.
I couldn't agree more, Great job Heretic ! :up:

Gotmilk
03-14-10, 05:21 AM
I love you.... In a manly way :)

JotDora
03-14-10, 05:41 AM
Every release is like a christman present!
You're doing a great job, thanks a lot!! :salute::yeah:

Wish you a nice weekend!

Greetings

JotDora

BlackSpot
03-14-10, 06:08 AM
Nice mods ! Cheers.
I'm glad you changed the WO's face. The stock face was too smug. You'd never get tired of slapping a face like that. :O:

Vegas
03-14-10, 06:10 AM
Thank you!! :D

What the MODS have done in just two weeks... :o
Unreal! :rock:

Heretic
03-14-10, 08:03 AM
Hats up!
Suggestion: Same clothes and helmets for deck gun crew.
Thanks in advance.

Yeap, that's the sort of stuff I intend to work on as I make my way through the boat.

sergei
03-14-10, 08:26 AM
Fantastic work Heretic :up:

redcoat22
03-14-10, 11:58 AM
I thought someone said the 'going through hatch' animation existed based on the tutorial.

'if' that is true.. do we simply need to find it?

If it doesnt exist, will it be possible someday for a smart guy to make it?

Baleur
03-14-10, 12:28 PM
So if i only want the animations, can i remove the head/body textures/mesh files? :up:

Oscarkeeper
03-14-10, 12:29 PM
Nice mod! Thanks for all the hard work. At least someone is getting something productive done, while I sit around and play the game.

Heretic
03-14-10, 01:20 PM
So if i only want the animations, can i remove the head/body textures/mesh files? :up:

There are no animations or meshes, just scripts and some modified bio portraits for the alternate heads. If you don't want the alternate heads, use the stock version. That's why I made four versions.

Heretic
03-14-10, 01:22 PM
I thought someone said the 'going through hatch' animation existed based on the tutorial.

'if' that is true.. do we simply need to find it?

If it doesnt exist, will it be possible someday for a smart guy to make it?

The only 'through the hatch' animation we have is the one the tutorial uses to walk the WO from the bed to the control room. I resused that sequence.

urfisch
03-14-10, 01:41 PM
this is really nice work!!!

Stormfly
03-14-10, 01:50 PM
ohh my god, this realy adds to immersion and admosphere !

Thank YOU Heretic ! :yeah:

KarlSteiner
03-15-10, 08:49 AM
Hi Heretic,

I use your excellent mod with the niew faces and bears.
IWO had a cap, now. Thanks.:up::up::up:

Now another question:

Is it possible to alter the script,
that you delete the crewman without the binoc.?
And clone another one with binocs.
And than place them to the position of the deleted?

And bad weather related::rock:

Is it possible with a script to put the Südwester-caps of SH3 on the hads?

Best regards :DL

Karl

Hi,

thanks for the 4th bonocman on the bridge..
================================================== =============
P.S.:

You had it released with the 1.2.1. mod.
Best work good job, thanks.
Karl

Heretic
03-15-10, 09:08 AM
Hi Heretic,
I use your excellent mod with the niew faces and bears.
IWO had a cap, now. Thanks.:up::up::up:
Now another question:
Is it possible to alter the scrip,
that you delete the crewman without the binoc.?
And clone another one with binocs.
And than place them to the position of the deleted?
And bad weather related::rock:
Is it possible with a script to put the Südwester-caps of SH3 on the hads?
Best regards :DL
Karl

It's all a matter of animations. The animations have a fixed direction. The reason that one crewman doesn't use his binocs is because there are no animations pointing the right direction for him. I can have him use binocs if I face him forward or to the right, but those options are worse than what I have now.
Weather-related uniform changes would be possible if I had a way to determine the weather conditions. Currently, that doesn't seem possible. Also, there are no meshs/textures for rain gear. Down the road, once people figure out how to do the 3d stuff, that might change.

JotDora
03-15-10, 09:32 AM
@heretic

Do you know if it's possible to write our own animations or are they hardcoded?

Thanks in advance

JotDora

Heretic
03-15-10, 10:02 AM
@heretic
Do you know if it's possible to write our own animations or are they hardcoded?
Thanks in advance
JotDora

They're in the the GR2 files in the character/animations folder. As far as I know, no one has figured out how to do anything with GR2 files. I looked through one in a hex editor and saw "3D Studios Max" in it. I don't know much about 3D modelling/animation, but it seems to me you would need to import the GR2 file into 3DS Max, do whatever to it, then export it back to a GR2 format. I've been investigating it, but since I do not own any 3D modelling tools, let alone 3DS Max($$$), this is all conjecture. It's used in other games, so it's possible there's some modders out there that know how to do this. If someone were to successfully make a new animation, I see no obstacle to using it in game, assuming they get the format correct.

It's the same problem with adding crewmen, waypoints, changing anything in the U-Boat models, etc.

JotDora
03-15-10, 10:08 AM
ok!

I'm asking because i would be interested in some sort of team work. You could tell me which animations you need an i could try to realize them.

I'm working in a software developing company and we have almost all sort of tools, mostly "lying" around unused.

Maybe i can get hand of a 3D Max license...maybe.

Greetings from germany

JotDora

Heretic
03-15-10, 10:20 AM
ok!
I'm asking because i would be interested in some sort of team work. You could tell me which animations you need an i could try to realize them.
I'm working in a software developing company and we have almost all sort of tools, mostly "lying" around unused.
Maybe i can get hand of a 3D Max license...maybe.
Greetings from germany
JotDora

I'd sure be interested, if you're able to get it to work. You'd be a hero to a lot of folks if you figure out how to successfully change the GR2 files.

JotDora
03-15-10, 10:45 AM
We do have 4x 3D MAX licenses here, checking now if they are used and if i can "borrow" one.

If i can get hand of one license, don't expect to much at the beginning. I'm leading a team of programmers being used to develop 2D Windows Forms applications. Never did something in 3d on professional basis...but i'm interested in and maybe in can support you a litte bit in providing animations. Not sure if i will succeed in accessing the format (have to test if the 3D MAX version we have has the correct version for the SH5 files!) and providing GOOD animations ;)

But i do have a russian mate who really is a "hero" in 3D modelling (sadly not interested in sub games) and i'm sure he can give me some useful lessons...for a beer or too (or maybe vodka ;)). Scripting - if possible or necessary - should not be a problem.

I'll check back

Greetings

JotDora

oscar19681
03-15-10, 01:46 PM
Dude thank you so much for the latest version of this mod! I love the extra animations! I can live with the crew clipping since it adds more animations! Absolutly love this mod thanks again!

redcoat22
03-15-10, 02:18 PM
I couldn't agree more. Its almost a shame the Devs didnt make more stock animations. I understand they didnt have time to finish what the wanted, but at least if they had given these guys the proper tools.

Heretic
03-15-10, 07:44 PM
1.1.1 Released.

A small update. I tweaked the timing logic so the crewmen shouldn't walk through each other so much at the ladder. All gun crews now change out of their play clothes before they go on deck. Several crewmen had their beards removed in the stock w/ no beards version.

JotDora
03-16-10, 01:50 AM
Installed my license of 3Ds MAX on my box at home last night.

Having 3Ds MAX is not enough to access the gr2 files. Did some fast tests and played around with 3Ds MAX export/import filters. There seems to be no "out of the box" way to import gr2 files in 3Ds MAX. As far as i know the (granny), gr2 files are representing just the skeleton of a 3D model, separated from the textures.
Granny is $ 14000 :doh: No way for me to get hand on a granny license. I was lucky to get 3Ds MAX.

I did a quick research and there are several approaches (like this (http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=14,36458,,10) to import gr2 files in 3Ds MAX). Will do more tests this evening.

First of all i'll have to do more investigations to understand the basics of 3D modelling and the file formats.

Edit: I'll open o new thread for further information, i don't wanna mess up your thread! "MAY" be possible to archieve the goal in creating new animations...maybe ;-)

piri_reis
03-16-10, 04:54 AM
1.1.1 Released.

Thank you Heretic.
I like the change you did with the XO and watch officer. They look much better now IMHO.

KarlSteiner
03-16-10, 09:06 AM
They're in the the GR2 files in the character/animations folder. As far as I know, no one has figured out how to do anything with GR2 files. I looked through one in a hex editor and saw "3D Studios Max" in it. I don't know much about 3D modelling/animation, but it seems to me you would need to import the GR2 file into 3DS Max, do whatever to it, then export it back to a GR2 format. I've been investigating it, but since I do not own any 3D modelling tools, let alone 3DS Max($$$), this is all conjecture. It's used in other games, so it's possible there's some modders out there that know how to do this. If someone were to successfully make a new animation, I see no obstacle to using it in game, assuming they get the format correct.

It's the same problem with adding crewmen, waypoints, changing anything in the U-Boat models, etc.

Good job Heretic,

we will hope that an arrangement of 4 90° sector used watch-crew will be able.

Also that they put down her glasses to clean them, only.
So it was usually as describes in the istoric books.

Best regards

Karl:up:

P.S.:
My profession is the low poly design of Ships, Lighthouses (Fastnet_Rock) and other static objects. So I have
many 3d-files ready for translating to SH5 if a max-plugin is avaliable.

See my Tug for SH3: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6011016756?r=6011016756#6011016756 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6011016756?r=6011016756#6011016756)

And I forgot: The glasses closer to the eyes, please.

Heretic
03-16-10, 09:28 AM
Good job Heretic,

P.S.:
My profession is the low poly design of Ships, Lighthouses (Fastnet_Rock) and other static objects. So I have
many 3d-files ready for translating to SH5 if a max-plugin is avaliable.

See my Tug for SH3: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6011016756?r=6011016756#6011016756 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6011016756?r=6011016756#6011016756)

nice work!

Sailor Steve
03-16-10, 10:38 AM
Where can I download this? The FileFront link in that thread is dead.

Heretic
03-16-10, 12:28 PM
Mod status and future plans.

I'm pretty satisfied with the bridge watch. I could make it somewhat better with some different animations, but that's starting to look more like something to hope for in patches and expansions. If that changes, I'll be glad to revisit it.

I've investigated adding more crew to the deck gun and torpedo room. I have one more thing I'd like to try on the deck gun but the torpedo room is a bust. There's a only two usable waypoints in there and they're both occupied. Finding usable animations that are offset from those waypoints has proven futile. Not a big disappointment for me since that's just a sideshow. The aft tube doesn't have any loading sequence at all. 90% of the action takes place in the control room and bridge.

I'd still like to do something with the bosun. Having him occasionaly touring the boat checking on the crew seems a good choice. Possibly having other crewmen moving around a bit makes sense too. I don't know if that will be in 1.2 or not.

Which brings me to something pretty exciting I'm working on for 1.2 - command based actions. Currently the crewmen are just looping through a set of animations with no connection to what the boat is doing or orders the player has given. The devs have implemented a command interface to allow the crewmen to perform action based on the command, but it's pretty limited and unfinished. Some of the functions referenced are very intriguing (OperateLeftTelegraph, OperateRightTelegraph), but sadly not functional. I'm working on a method to utilize that interface to drive the idle scripts, where I have more freedom.

What this means is when you issue a command, like 'dive', the Chief will call out ballast tank and hydroplane orders using the sound files already in the game- "flood main ballast tank", "fore planes five degrees down", etc. Then the planesmen will operate the correct controls, the ballast tank operator will turn his valves, and so on. The devs made the sound files, animations, and interface to make this all possible, but never got it completely implemented. I'm pretty sure I can get it functioning well enough to be a nice addition to the atmosphere and realism.

kylania
03-16-10, 12:38 PM
The devs made the sound files, animations, and interface to make this all possible, but never got it completely implemented. I'm pretty sure I can get it functioning well enough to be a nice addition to the atmosphere and realism.

I love you man! :oops::rock:

piri_reis
03-16-10, 01:19 PM
Heretic, I've tried using the commented-out animations in some of the unfinished crew script files; Like the set_speed.aix, but the game crashes with even minimal modification. I wonder if at least the:

Wp:LookAtPlayer();
Wp:LookAtEngineTelegraph();

aren't functional..

It's great that you see a solution to this by using the Idle scripts :up:

Heretic
03-16-10, 01:28 PM
Heretic, I've tried using the commented-out animations in some of the unfinished crew script files; Like the set_speed.aix, but the game crashes with even minimal modification. I wonder if at least the:

Wp:LookAtPlayer();
Wp:LookAtEngineTelegraph();

aren't functional..

It's great that you see a solution to this by using the Idle scripts :up:

Yeah, it's a shame they don't work cause it looks like they had some cool stuff planned. Hopefully that's something that will show up in a patch or expansion down the road.

coronas
03-16-10, 02:51 PM
Thanks again, Heretic!

Bilge_Rat
03-16-10, 04:44 PM
most excellent mod Heretic, great work! :salute:

Westbroek
03-16-10, 05:49 PM
Heretic,
Really enjoying what you've already done here. Keeping my fingers crossed for you as you dig deeper and deeper into the control room possibilities. Keep up the good work and I'll keep thanking you! :salute:

oscar19681
03-16-10, 06:20 PM
Mod status and future plans.

I'm pretty satisfied with the bridge watch. I could make it somewhat better with some different animations, but that's starting to look more like something to hope for in patches and expansions. If that changes, I'll be glad to revisit it.

I've investigated adding more crew to the deck gun and torpedo room. I have one more thing I'd like to try on the deck gun but the torpedo room is a bust. There's a only two usable waypoints in there and they're both occupied. Finding usable animations that are offset from those waypoints has proven futile. Not a big disappointment for me since that's just a sideshow. The aft tube doesn't have any loading sequence at all. 90% of the action takes place in the control room and bridge.

I'd still like to do something with the bosun. Having him occasionaly touring the boat checking on the crew seems a good choice. Possibly having other crewmen moving around a bit makes sense too. I don't know if that will be in 1.2 or not.

Which brings me to something pretty exciting I'm working on for 1.2 - command based actions. Currently the crewmen are just looping through a set of animations with no connection to what the boat is doing or orders the player has given. The devs have implemented a command interface to allow the crewmen to perform action based on the command, but it's pretty limited and unfinished. Some of the functions referenced are very intriguing (OperateLeftTelegraph, OperateRightTelegraph), but sadly not functional. I'm working on a method to utilize that interface to drive the idle scripts, where I have more freedom.

What this means is when you issue a command, like 'dive', the Chief will call out ballast tank and hydroplane orders using the sound files already in the game- "flood main ballast tank", "fore planes five degrees down", etc. Then the planesmen will operate the correct controls, the ballast tank operator will turn his valves, and so on. The devs made the sound files, animations, and interface to make this all possible, but never got it completely implemented. I'm pretty sure I can get it functioning well enough to be a nice addition to the atmosphere and realism.

Someone should have BDU give you a knights-cross for this man! Also since you seem to be able to find your way around this stuff , what are the possibilaty to add more crew to for example the bunks?

malkuth74
03-16-10, 06:32 PM
The questions beckons to me. How come you have done in 2 weeks what the devs could not do in 1 year? LOL.

Nothing personal towards the devs. BUt you modders are making them look shamfull for what you have done in just 2 weeks time. Totally amazing.

Heretic
03-16-10, 07:00 PM
The questions beckons to me. How come you have done in 2 weeks what the devs could not do in 1 year? LOL.

Nothing personal towards the devs. BUt you modders are making them look shamfull for what you have done in just 2 weeks time. Totally amazing.

Nope. :nope: I'm not fixing things they botched. I'm using the tools they gave us to build on their work. Yeah, they ran out of time and didn't get everything they wanted done. But none of this would be possible without the 90% they got right.

Stormfly
03-16-10, 07:00 PM
iam using your mod and must say the crew is much more realistic now, Thanks !

Do you think about also exchangin the navigator, he looks not fitting for a sub crew in my eyes.

...and all this news sound pretty good :up:

Bilge_Rat
03-16-10, 07:05 PM
pretty damned amazing stuff, if you ask me:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1593/crew001.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3645/crew005.jpg

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6281/crew002.jpg

Heretic's crew mod, Pascal's uniforms, captainhelm's lighting, chasing convoy HG70........and the game was released 2 weeks ago?..........:o

Heretic
03-16-10, 07:05 PM
iam using your mod and must say the crew is much more realistic now, Thanks !

Do you think about also exchangin the navigator, he looks not fitting for a sub crew in my eyes.

...and all this news sound pretty good :up:

He's been trying on various heads but hasn't really found one he likes. :03:

Stormfly
03-16-10, 07:36 PM
He's been trying on various heads but hasn't really found one he likes. :03:

...yes indeed and typical for Mr. Addams :haha:

KarlSteiner
03-16-10, 08:09 PM
1.1.1 Released.

A small update. I tweaked the timing logic so the crewmen shouldn't walk through each other so much at the ladder. All gun crews now change out of their play clothes before they go on deck. Several crewmen had their beards removed in the stock w/ no beards version.

Thanks Heretic:up::up:

Karl:sunny:

KarlSteiner
03-16-10, 08:14 PM
Where can I download this? The FileFront link in that thread is dead.

My tug is located inside Living_Silent_hunter 3,4,5.

You have the permission to extract them for your private use.

regards

Karl:sunny:

Phantom453
03-17-10, 06:38 AM
Thank you very much for your efforts!!

XXi
03-17-10, 08:39 AM
Heretic, I`m writing down report to the BdU. You should get that Iron Cross :yeah:

Keep up the good work :salute:

redcoat22
03-17-10, 09:16 AM
This is my favorite mod to follow.. its really changing the immersion of the game.

urfisch
03-17-10, 09:19 AM
yeah, what heretic has done so far is really nice!!!

:yeah:

sergei
03-17-10, 09:34 AM
Yep, just gets better and better :DL

Heretic
03-17-10, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the many words of encouragement! :salute:

I do have to retract something I wrote earlier. My workaround for the command interface is totally unnecesary. It was my lack of understanding of how the sound functions work that was the problem. The command interface works as designed and it is a really great feature.:yeah:

Now that I do understand the sound functions, it's full speed ahead on turning the crew into a bunch of Chatty Kathys. Currently I'm going through all the sound files, listening to each one and cataloging them for future use.

I also realized I that what I was going to use as a workaround will let me get the watch to clear the bridge when the dive command is given, rather than using the occasasionally flukey IsSubmerged function. I should be able to make them behave in a more realistic manner as well as adding lots of talking.

KarlKoch
03-17-10, 10:07 AM
Sounds really promising, will watch this mod developing closely.
One suggestion maybe, dunno if i posted it before:
It would be really great to have a dialog option to let the crew go into the sub prior to submerging. No need to have it mandatory, just an option would be cool. From what i read along the lines, this should be possible (at least later on).
Keep up the good work. :)

waiduooklis
03-17-10, 12:10 PM
Hi, Heretic your mods are very good but i find one mistake.You know that XO is officer but you made him NCO with his shoulder strap of stabsoberbootsmann so if you can fix it in next mods. thanks for you work.:yeah:

ReallyDedPoet
03-17-10, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the many words of encouragement! :salute:

I do have to retract something I wrote earlier. My workaround for the command interface is totally unnecesary. It was my lack of understanding of how the sound functions work that was the problem. The command interface works as designed and it is a really great feature.:yeah:

Now that I do understand the sound functions, it's full speed ahead on turning the crew into a bunch of Chatty Kathys. Currently I'm going through all the sound files, listening to each one and cataloging them for future use.

I also realized I that what I was going to use as a workaround will let me get the watch to clear the bridge when the dive command is given, rather than using the occasasionally flukey IsSubmerged function. I should be able to make them behave in a more realistic manner as well as adding lots of talking.

Sounds great :yep:

Heretic
03-17-10, 12:59 PM
Hi, Heretic your mods are very good but i find one mistake.You know that XO is officer but you made him NCO with his shoulder strap of stabsoberbootsmann so if you can fix it in next mods. thanks for you work.:yeah:

This mod does not touch the graphics. Just AI scripts.

redcoat22
03-17-10, 01:15 PM
Back in the hole Heretic!

Should we donate paypal money?

LiveGoat
03-17-10, 11:27 PM
My bosun is creeping me out. With his beard he looks like Anton Lavey! :DL

Guys the boys'll be to scared to disobey me now!

kylania
03-17-10, 11:53 PM
My bosun is creeping me out. With his beard he looks like Anton Lavey! :DL

Guys the boys'll be to scared to disobey me now!

haha! I just noticed that tonight, turned around to head to the hydrophone, came up through the hatch and was like "ACK!" *shudder*. :oops::O:

urfisch
03-20-10, 04:10 AM
?

:hmmm:

Heretic
03-20-10, 09:16 AM
Progress.

http://webpages.charter.net/mdpeyton/SH5/progress.jpg

I found a combination of waypoint assignments and animations to get everyone using their binoculars in generally the right direction. It offset the port watch a bit differently then before, opening up the area left of the UZO for the player a bit more. The down side is the aft guy has his foot partially in the periscope housing. Another trade off.

I have the dive/surface commands mostly done, so the Chief will call out hydroplane and ballast orders corresponding to the command.

sergei
03-20-10, 10:34 AM
v1.2 looking good.
They'll not be in my way when I'm on the bridge. :DL

urfisch
03-20-10, 10:42 AM
great! thanks for the update!

thruster
03-20-10, 10:52 AM
looks utterly brilliant! love your work!
...... i wish i could do that.....

kylania
03-20-10, 12:33 PM
1.2 looks great, but isn't the WO on top of the hatch now?

pythos
03-20-10, 12:39 PM
LOL, as I made my way along the interior of my boat, everyone had Goatees. It was like I got transported into the Mirror Mirror universe of that famous Classic Trek episode.

Where is "evil Spock" thought :)

Nice work on the mod, looking forward to 1.2

DerMo
03-20-10, 04:36 PM
I´m using 1.11 at the moment and i noticed that with version 1.11 there is a problem with the animation of the two crew members who usually stand up and move to the ladder.After i loaded a game,all is fine.I see two crewmembers + 2.WO move to the ladder.

But after a while the animation does not work anymore.The two crew members in the control room just teleport to the deck when surfacing and teleport back when i dive.It´s not that the mod stopped working because the 2.WO still does as he should,only the two crew members won´t..

when i want to see them move to the ladder again i have to reload the game and it works again, but stops working after a while
anybody else seen this?

Heretic
03-20-10, 05:00 PM
1.2 looks great, but isn't the WO on top of the hatch now?
He's still there. The screenshot is using the alternate heads verison. He's at front right.

LOL, as I made my way along the interior of my boat, everyone had Goatees. It was like I got transported into the Mirror Mirror universe of that famous Classic Trek episode.

Where is "evil Spock" thought :)

Nice work on the mod, looking forward to 1.2
I have two beards, two goatees, and a mustache to work with. I went through pretty quick when I added them. I'll see if I can mix it up a little better.

I´m using 1.11 at the moment and i noticed that with version 1.11 there is a problem with the animation of the two crew members who usually stand up and move to the ladder.After i loaded a game,all is fine.I see two crewmembers + 2.WO move to the ladder.

But after a while the animation does not work anymore.The two crew members in the control room just teleport to the deck when surfacing and teleport back when i dive.It´s not that the mod stopped working because the 2.WO still does as he should,only the two crew members won´t..

when i want to see them move to the ladder again i have to reload the game and it works again, but stops working after a while
anybody else seen this?

They could be getting out of sync with their state variable. I use a variable to control where they're at to try to keep them from being in the same place as someone else. I do it a bit differently in 1.2 so hopefully it won't be a problem going forward. I have to admit tho, I don't play for mere then a few minutes at a time.

Heretic
03-21-10, 01:55 PM
1.2 released.

I've added command-based behaviors, so your crew will react to the commands issued. Currently, I have the depth commands done. You have to use the commands via mouseclick or hotkey to see the behaviors. Just clicking on the depth gauge won't do it. They old state-based behaviors of previous version still work, so you won't strand your crew on the deck, if you just click the gauge. I added sound effects for the control room crew movements.

The Crash_dive script doesn't trigger. I've included an optional workaround that uses the set_depth command (triggered when you click the gauge). It will trigger a crash dive when you click the gauge and are on the surface, even if you click 0 meters, so use with care!

Oh, and I figured out how to add more crewmen. Before you get all excited, I'm still very limited by waypoints. So far, I haven't found any good spot to add anyone that has an animation that works. I'm thinking if I can get a damage control party to trigger, that'd be a good use.

Report any problems in this thread. Thanks!

urfisch
03-21-10, 02:39 PM
you´re my man!!!

thanks a lot!

kylania
03-21-10, 02:55 PM
1.2 released.

The Crash_dive script doesn't trigger. I've included an optional workaround that uses the set_depth command (triggered when you click the gauge). It will trigger a crash dive when you click the gauge and are on the surface, even if you click 0 meters, so use with care!

Wait, so this breaks the stock crash drive functionality? I can't see accepting that for properly angled binoculars and sounds. What exactly is broken and what exactly does this set_depth workaround do? Does it still kick in the flank speed and faster submerging? Which gauge are you talking about? Does it interfere with other UI mods like 3Dials or something? That uses a different depth gauge.

There's a lot of "graphics" mods that are starting to muck with the functions of the submarine when they really shouldn't (the interior dials changing surface depth for example) and it's gonna start getting really confusing.

I personally wouldn't include anything in a "watch crew display" mod that changes/breaks something as important as crash dive. Really wonderful work so far, but this is starting to get dangerous. :)

Heretic
03-21-10, 03:00 PM
Wait, so this breaks the stock crash drive functionality? I can't see accepting that for properly angled binoculars and sounds. What exactly is broken and what exactly does this set_depth workaround do? Does it still kick in the flank speed and faster submerging? Which gauge are you talking about? Does it interfere with other UI mods like 3Dials or something? That uses a different depth gauge.

There's a lot of "graphics" mods that are starting to muck with the functions of the submarine when they really shouldn't (the interior dials changing surface depth for example) and it's gonna start getting really confusing.

I personally wouldn't include anything in a "watch crew display" mod that changes/breaks something as important as crash dive. Really wonderful work so far, but this is starting to get dangerous. :)

No. It's a stock bug. The stock crash_dive script doesn't trigger, so I came up with an OPTIONAL workaround.

Just to clarify, the stock crash dive command works fine, in that it makes the sub crash dive. The part where it's supposed to trigger the Crash_dive script is not functioning. My workaround is only if you want to see my crash dive orders/movements sequence. It doesn't effect the performance of the boat.

HanSolo78
03-21-10, 03:04 PM
Great work heretic!!:yeah:
I regularly download your latest version and there is continous improvement!!
Ready to test your latest version! :ping:

kylania
03-21-10, 03:09 PM
No. It's a stock bug. The stock crash_dive script doesn't trigger, so I came up with an OPTIONAL workaround.

Just to clarify, the stock crash dive command works fine, in that it makes the sub crash dive. The part where it triggers the Crash_dive script is not functioning. My workaround is only if you want to see my crash dive orders/movements sequence. It doesn't effect the performance of the boat.

Ahh, ok that makes more sense. Thanks!

I got scared earlier using 1.1. I ordered a dive as I stood up from the attack scope and suddenly guys started climbing down past me! Didn't realize it worked in that room too.

lucagaeta
03-21-10, 03:19 PM
Hi,
Heretic

Thank you very much for all the work you're doing!!
not discourage you're doing a great job, this is the right way:rock::rock::rock:

Regards,
Luca

redcoat22
03-21-10, 03:37 PM
Hands down, this is my favorite mod and I check it daily for updates.

silversurfer
03-21-10, 04:01 PM
This is an awesome mod..I've just downloaded the up to date version. Have a bit of a problem, when crew is at diving stations the crewman controlling the aft diveplanes doesn't appear at his post thou the planes still operate.

Ragtag
03-21-10, 04:27 PM
Love this though i think teleporting would be better than the clutter up by the ladder. Would it be possible to make an optional teleport for the crew movement?
I just love the dive sequence now and that the crew actually leaves the tower before it goes under. Damn good work :)

astradeus
03-21-10, 06:04 PM
thank you for this mod that has a great future!

Heretic
03-21-10, 06:08 PM
This is an awesome mod..I've just downloaded the up to date version. Have a bit of a problem, when crew is at diving stations the crewman controlling the aft diveplanes doesn't appear at his post thou the planes still operate.

Run it through a couple surface/dive rotations and see if that clears it up. I changed the controllers a bit since last version and it may take an up/down to sync them up. If it still persists, use the external cam and see if he's on the bridge and also check if he's stuck in the CT. Otherwise, post your mod list, the type of boat and the general situation and I'll try to duplicate it.

Love this though i think teleporting would be better than the clutter up by the ladder. Would it be possible to make an optional teleport for the crew movement?
I just love the dive sequence now and that the crew actually leaves the tower before it goes under. Damn good work :)
Sorry, it's already tough supporting four versions.:D

Now if you hit S for Surface the boat that means going deck awash at 7-8 meters ?
I didn't change anything dealing with the boat's performance.

Onkel Neal
03-21-10, 11:43 PM
I rated this mod A+ :salute:

kylania
03-22-10, 12:05 AM
Now if you hit S for Surface the boat that means going deck awash at 7-8 meters ?

Are you using the Interior Dials mod? If so, that mod causes that to happen.

reboot
03-22-10, 03:24 AM
This is awesome! Thanks:yeah:

Ragtag
03-22-10, 07:28 AM
2 of the watchmen are stuck on the bridge when diving. It worked fine the first times i used the mods when diving. Now they are stuck. Have to save and reload to get rid of the bug.

silversurfer
03-22-10, 07:52 AM
Just checked out what was happening to the watch crew/aft planes man. When the order to dive/crash dive is given he remains on deck but goes thru his animations as if he was in the control room. When I look at him with the external view I can see him in the sitting position. Hope this helps:D

Heretic
03-22-10, 07:57 AM
Hmmm.... Let's see if I can track this down.
Does this happen every time you dive?
Is this when loading the game the first time using the new version?
Which version are you using and what other mods are you using?
Are you diving with the dive command or using the depth gauge?

silversurfer
03-22-10, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Heretic.
it happens every time i dive the boat, I'm using the hotkey dive command and not the depth gauge and I have the following mods installed in this order
old style controls
improved waves and pitch and roll
conning tower compass fix
no damn bubble no halo
wordees thunder
wordess chief enginner
wamphryis plane mod
churchs shv 1.01 keyboard commands
interior worlking diels v1_21
accurate german flags
moral mod
mfcm optional crash dive workaround
mighty fine crewmod 1.2 alt faces
critical hits 1.1 torpedoes
engine improved sound v1.0
a lot of mods I know....:yeah:

Ragtag
03-22-10, 08:38 AM
happens everytime. I use the commands and i don't use the workaround for crashdive you provided. Using 1.2 with alt beards.
When stuck on bridge it looks like they are crouching.
Mods in use:

No damn halo,bubbles
Conning tower compass fix
Moralemod
Critical hits torpedoes 1.1
Free cam tweak 1.1 regular
Funnelsmoke
Remove binoccular crossair
TDC dials 1.0.2
Grossdeutcher rundfunk radio
Conus graphics mod 1.0
Z Compass & nomograph
Remove wake on EL torpedo
AILS smoke, moon, wake and clouds mods
Haramirs sensor mod 1.0

Ablemaster
03-22-10, 08:40 AM
Yeh concur mate, guy starboard side aft sits down and oow stays standing while submerged, otherwise really like this mod.

Heretic
03-22-10, 08:51 AM
Ok. I'm at work so I can't test this, but it I'm guessing it has to do with moving the guys waypoint when I changed his animation. I tested it with 1.1.1 saves both submerged and surfaced with no problems, but you're obviously in a scenario I didn't test. I do have a catch-all move command for the guys but it's apparently not getting hit. Trying to keep it save game compatible gets a bit tricky.

Try loading your game without the mod, submerging, saving, then reinstalling the mod. Let me know how that works.

silversurfer
03-22-10, 09:13 AM
i just tried it again to make sure I wasn't imagining things. The first dive everything worked out fine. I surfaced and dived a few mins later and the he did the samething and stayed on deck in the seated position. Will try your suggestion and see what happens:yeah:

Heretic
03-22-10, 09:17 AM
i just tried it again to make sure I wasn't imagining things. The first dive everything worked out fine. I surfaced and dived a few mins later and the he did the samething and stayed on deck in the seated position. Will try your suggestion and see what happens:yeah:

Hmm... that's discouraging. Goes against what I was thinking. I figured once you had a successful dive, it'd get back in sync.

I'll compare the code for HA and HF and see if I can figure out what's causing them to behave differently.

kylania
03-22-10, 09:32 AM
Hmm... that's discouraging. Goes against what I was thinking. I figured once you had a successful dive, it'd get back in sync.

I'll compare the code for HA and HF and see if I can figure out what's causing them to behave differently.

I had the "stuck in a sitting position" last night too, but it was just at the entrance to the control room, so standing by the nav table looking at the controls I had this giant butt in my face. :)

I'm pretty sure it had to do with my crash diving, then surfacing accidentally, then diving, then crash diving again all in the span of a few panicked moments (came out of TC 1km away from a carrier task for group!)

I'm not saying this is a common bug, and it resolved itself once i surfaced, but it was kinda funny.

silversurfer
03-22-10, 10:37 AM
I had a go at what you said in your last post and got CTD. I reloaded the mod putting the mighty fine crew mod before the crash dive workaround. The mod worked fine in game whilst crash diving and look awesome..the planes men entering, the dialouge etc. I did the crash dive test 4 times in a row with no prob.
I then did a normal crash dive to test it out and this time found the aft planes man doing the samething, going thru his animations and sitting but still on the bridge, I then found that the watch officer stays on deck and hides behind the UZO, he doesn't go below at all.
Tested it again with crash dive and got the same result, tested it again with normal dive with the same result.:damn: I now have a watch officer and crew man on deck whilst below the surface.....man they can hold their breath for ages:doh:

Heretic
03-22-10, 10:51 AM
oops. yeah the crash dive workaround would need to be removed too if you removed the main mod. The workaround also needs to be installed after the main mod. I should update the readme.

Odd that crash dive works and regular dive doesn't. The only difference is I set the dive order variable to 2 instead of 1, so that they have hard landings at the bottom of the ladder.

It's WAD that the watch officer stays there. He'll always be the last guy down. If anyone stays there, he will to. Once I figure out why HA won't go down, the WO will follow him down.

Is everybody having this problem?

Heretic
03-22-10, 10:52 AM
When HA (aft hydroplane operator) is stuck on the bridge, is he just frozen in a seated position or is he going through the same animation sequence he does when at his hydroplane station?

Heretic
03-22-10, 10:55 AM
One more thing. Do you have an enemy ship or plane in sight?

silversurfer
03-22-10, 10:56 AM
The HO is going thru the motions of operating the HP's, the WO is stood behind the UZO but keeps standing up and then ducking down....

silversurfer
03-22-10, 10:56 AM
No planes or ships in sight.

Heretic
03-22-10, 11:11 AM
If you want to try a file edit, we can try something. You can use any text editor, notepad works fine.

Open Crew_Idle_Actions_CR.aix in MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2 \data\scripts\ai\crew

Search for CR_HA_SUBMERGED, you'll want the second occurance
Find this code:

precond
{
!Wp:IsCrewState(DMG_TKN|HUNTER|HUNTED|PROX_EXPL) and
(Wp:IsSubmerged() or Wp:GetGlobalVariable(VAR_DIVE_ORDER) > 0 ) and
!(Wp:IsTutorial() and !Wp:IsBunkerState())
}
This says if I'm not in any of those CrewStates and I'm either submerged or have a dive order and it's not the tutorial or in the bunker.

Let's remove the CrewState conditions by commenting it out with a '#'

precond
{
#!Wp:IsCrewState(DMG_TKN|HUNTER|HUNTED|PROX_EXPL) and
(Wp:IsSubmerged() or Wp:GetGlobalVariable(VAR_DIVE_ORDER) > 0 ) and
!(Wp:IsTutorial() and !Wp:IsBunkerState())
}

You should change it in the MOD folder itself rather than in your Data folder, so you'll be able to enable/disable it. You'll need to re-enable the mod after you make the change.

*edit* I made a mistake. Make sure it's CR_HA_SUBMERGED you change. Actually, if that works, you can change both CR_HA_SUBMERGED and CR_HF_SUBMERGED

Regardless of whether this fixes your problem, I'll need to address it for 1.2.1. It's a big hole.

The more I think of it, the more I think this is it. HF works because I didn't move his waypoint. I'll get a fix up this evening.

silversurfer
03-22-10, 11:32 AM
How do you know this stuff.... ok i've had a go at what you suggested, will give it a go.
Cheers for the help buddy... can't live with out this mod.:salute:

Heretic
03-22-10, 11:35 AM
How do you know this stuff.... ok i've had a go at what you suggested, will give it a go.
Cheers for the help buddy... can't live with out this mod.:salute:

Because I emailed my scripts to work, so I can mess with them rather than doing my job. :D

Westbroek
03-22-10, 11:52 AM
Well played, sir.

silversurfer
03-22-10, 12:05 PM
It worked ..the watch crew behave as per the mod, tested it a number of times both crash dive and normal dive. The WO on the other hand still stays on deck, and continues to hide behind the uzo. Hope this info helps you with the fix:yeah:

Heretic
03-22-10, 12:18 PM
It worked ..the watch crew behave as per the mod, tested it a number of times both crash dive and normal dive. The WO on the other hand still stays on deck, and continues to hide behind the uzo. Hope this info helps you with the fix:yeah:

Thanks for testing that for me.

Both HA and HF were falling through to either the HUNT or DAMAGE_TAKEN strategies, so they're not setting their location variables. The watch officer strategy checks those variables to see if they've cleared the bridge. That fix to CR_HA_SUBMERGED stopped the aft guy from doing it. If you make the same change to CR_HF_SUBMERGED, that should let the watch officer go down.

I've been ignoring the strategies for the other conditions and, consequently, I've introduced some incompatabilities that'll have to be addressed.

Thanks for helping me work through that.

Rafi
03-22-10, 12:30 PM
Ubisoft should you pay for it. Thanks to you, this game starts to resemble a game of 2010!

I am very grateful to you for what you're doing!

silversurfer
03-22-10, 02:44 PM
I made the change to the HF guy, for me this caused a lot of ctd. When it did work I had the HF guy doing a wierd sitting movement thru the CR until he reached his proper location. He would walk a few steps go into the seated position then get up and do it all over again. The change did bring the WO down into the boat but any time I gave a order to change the direction of the boat it CTD. I changed the HF line back to its original from but still got CTD. The changes were are in Mightyfine crew mod 1.2 alt faces.:yeah:

Heretic
03-22-10, 02:52 PM
I made the change to the HF guy, for me this caused a lot of ctd. When it did work I had the HF guy doing a wierd sitting movement thru the CR until he reached his proper location. He would walk a few steps go into the seated position then get up and do it all over again. The change did bring the WO down into the boat but any time I gave a order to change the direction of the boat it CTD. I changed the HF line back to its original from but still got CTD. The changes were are in Mightyfine crew mod 1.2 alt faces.:yeah:

Any syntax error causes a CTD. Can be a real pain in the butt to track down. I think this'll have to wait for me to fix it this evening. Sorry I let this slip through. :oops:

silversurfer
03-22-10, 02:55 PM
I can't remember what the error message was it flashed up to quick. Don't be sorry either its an awesome mod bound to be teething problems, glad I could help you out in a small way.:salute:

Chromius
03-22-10, 03:27 PM
Savegame CTD's, may or may not be related. Only change was 1.1.1 to 1.2 and workaround.

I happened to be in port when I removed 1.1.1 stock, and enabled 1.2 stock and MFCM 1.2 Workaround. I went on patrol.

I used the Dive key and Surface key for initial commands, dove (periscope depth key) upon spotting merchant, fired 2 torpedoes , used surface key. Upon getting to the bridge I ordered crew to man deck gun and used the binoculars to targeted merchant. After merchant was sunk and I unmanned deck gun, and I found ( I believe this happened before diving again) that I had only 2 crew members on deck, the watch officer and 1 other, both crouching. I could not order dive, I saved and attempted reload and had a ctd. But trying to reload any save after leaving port with 1.2 and workaround activated I also had ctd's on reload. Till I went back to port save and reverted to 1.1.1

Heretic
03-22-10, 03:30 PM
Savegame CTD's, may or may not be related. Only change was 1.1.1 to 1.2 and workaround.

I happened to be in port when I removed 1.1.1 stock, and enabled 1.2 stock and MFCM 1.2 Workaround. I went on patrol.

I used the Dive key and Surface key for initial commands, dove (periscope depth key) upon spotting merchant, fired 2 torpedoes , used surface key. Upon getting to the bridge I ordered crew to man deck gun and used the binoculars to targeted merchant. After merchant was sunk and I unmanned deck gun, and I found ( I believe this happened before diving again) that I had only 2 crew members on deck, the watch officer and 1 other, both crouching. I could not order dive, I saved and attempted reload and had a ctd. But trying to reload any save after leaving port with 1.2 and workaround activated I also had ctd's on reload. Till I went back to port save and reverted to 1.1.1

That could be related to the same issue. Some of the strategies are not playing well together. Should have a fix this evening.

Heretic
03-22-10, 08:12 PM
Version 1.2.1 released

hopefully this fixes the problem with the aft hydroplane operator.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Ragtag
03-22-10, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the effort :)

Stormfly
03-22-10, 09:57 PM
...if this is working, i make a small addon for the DBSM collection, including special sounds to sound properly with this :up:

blechritter
03-23-10, 02:52 AM
I believe I found a possible reason for the script not to be triggered.

The Crash Dive Command is executed by "SHIFT V".

In the commands.cfg file I found that for this command in addition to the lower case 's' the capital letter 'C' for executed by crew is configured.

If I tested correctly, then simply by removing the 'C' the script is triggered by the shortkey input.

If other lovers of this mod please could verify?

Thanks to Heretic for his wonderful mod!

Ragtag
03-23-10, 04:59 AM
That works yes. Good find. Crash dive script works now :D

Heretic
03-23-10, 07:29 AM
Doesn't work for me. I can't get it to trigger without the override installed.

blechritter
03-23-10, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear that.

What I did for testing was

1. Quit the game
2. Navigated to ...\data\Cfg\commands.cfg
3. Deleted the capital 'C' from the crash_dive command
4. Double checked your mod active
5. Launched game and hit Shift+V from the CR
6. Heard the playbacks you selected for the chrash_dive script

Hope that I did not miss anything :cry:

Thanks again for your mod

Heretic
03-23-10, 08:42 AM
And you have the override mod disabled?

Ragtag
03-23-10, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear that.

What I did for testing was

1. Quit the game
2. Navigated to ...\data\Cfg\commands.cfg
3. Deleted the capital 'C' from the crash_dive command
4. Double checked your mod active
5. Launched game and hit Shift+V from the CR
6. Heard the playbacks you selected for the chrash_dive script

Hope that I did not miss anything :cry:

Thanks again for your mod

Thats how i did it to :)

blechritter
03-23-10, 08:50 AM
@Heretic

Yep, the override mod was disabled.

Heretic
03-23-10, 08:54 AM
Well, hmmm...
Do me a favor and look in data\Submarine\NSS_UboatXX (the one that matches the boat you tested with), and pull up crew_commands.txt and tell me what the line beginning Set_depth says

*edit* and to clairify, this is what you did?

[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x56,Cs,"V" <------- change to Key0=0x56,s,"V"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes
CommandClass=Depth
Sound_0=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_CHIEF_33
Sound_1=ELO_Helm,MC_QRF_WATCH_29

blechritter
03-23-10, 09:04 AM
@Heretic Ok, as soon as I am back home. Still in the office.

O, btw, I am living in Germany. UTC+1. So here it is 3 PM.

blechritter
03-23-10, 09:06 AM
Well, hmmm...
Do me a favor and look in data\Submarine\NSS_UboatXX (the one that matches the boat you tested with), and pull up crew_commands.txt and tell me what the line beginning Set_depth says

Yes, exactly. I just reckoned that the 'C' would prevent the interpretation of separate script files.

Heretic
03-23-10, 09:19 AM
That's inconsistant with the other commands. The 'dive' command triggers its script and the command.cfg key entry for it is 'Key0=0x56,C,"V"'. I'll have to do more testing when I get home this evening.

Ragtag
03-23-10, 10:50 AM
Well, hmmm...

I did the same change and it worked for my with VIIA
The set_depth command looks like this:

Set_depth 1 1 1 ( CR_CHIEF = setd_CHIEF )

Heretic
03-23-10, 11:08 AM
I did the same change and it worked for my with VIIA
The set_depth command looks like this:

Set_depth 1 1 1 ( CR_CHIEF = setd_CHIEF )

Thanks. That's definitely not the override version. I thought I might have screwed up and included it in the main mod. I wonder if I made the edit to command.cfg incorrectly when I tested it?

I'd love to get rid of the override option. The problem with including a custom commands.cfg is it'd conflict with all the other mods that use it, the UI mods and command key mods.

blechritter
03-23-10, 11:18 AM
Apologies everybody! There was a lack of precision in my testing...

Now what I did next, and that finally appears to work (please verify)

1. Dive and crash_dive and a couple of other depth changing commands are configured to belong to the CommandClass=Depth

According to the documentation, those commands would then override each other, so only the last in sequence would actually be triggering any scripts. Thats why I kept hearing the sounds provided in set_depth.aix

2. So I removed the CommandClass=Depth line for the crash_dive command, which becomes Generic and will not be overwritten by set_depth. And here we go!

If you can verify that observation, then we would have some breakthru I believe.

In commands.cfg
[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x56,Cs,"V"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes

johan_d
03-23-10, 11:35 AM
Will this key detection conflict with other key mapping mods ?

blechritter
03-23-10, 11:40 AM
Will this key detection conflict with other key mapping mods ?

As a matter of fact, if that finding proves to be valid, then a merge of mods appears to be necessary.

Heretic
03-23-10, 12:06 PM
Set_depth always gets triggered after each of the depth commands. That's how my override worked. I had set_depth triggering the crash_dive scripts. If surfaced, you got the crash dive routine, otherwise just hydroplane orders.

So are you saying with the line CommandClass=Depth removed, the crash dive command triggers the crash_dive scripts?

The dive and crash dive scripts are very similar. The differences are the Chief uses the tension voice sounds in crash dive and the normal voice in dive. The men coming down the ladder have a jarring animation in crash dive. That's where one of the guys falls down. Regular dive, they come down in less of a hurry.

blechritter
03-23-10, 12:10 PM
Set_depth always gets triggered after each of the depth commands. That's how my override worked. I had set_depth triggering the crash_dive scripts. If surfaced, you got the crash dive routine, otherwise just hydroplane orders.

So are you saying with the line CommandClass=Depth removed, the crash dive command triggers the crash_dive scripts?

The dive and crash dive scripts are very similar. The differences are the Chief uses the tension voice sounds in crash dave and the normal voice in dive. The men coming down the ladder have a jarring animation in crash dive. That's where one of the guys falls down. Regular dive, they come down in less of a hurry.

Oh yes, and now I hear all you have intended. From the immediate Diesel engine stop (in crash_dive.aix) to the very last Hydroplane command from set_depth.aix and men in a hurry...

Now that should provide for a more complete understanding of the inner mechanisms on how scripts are utilized.

If this could only be firmly proved by you I should have a good nights rest...

Heretic
03-23-10, 12:14 PM
Yeah. I suppose removing the Depth tag means you can't overide it once you enter it. What happens if you issue a surface command right afterwards?

silversurfer
03-23-10, 12:42 PM
Tried the mod again tonight with no probs at all. :yeah: working beautifully.

Heretic
03-23-10, 02:04 PM
Well, 1.2.1 seems stable. What should I do for 1.3?

I've worked a bit more with adding crewmen. I can get a new guy to appear on the sub, but he doesn't react to the script I made for him. I assume I need to add him in somewhere else too, probably the UPC files. The problem is I can't figure out what to do with him. I've experimented with moving exisiting crewmen to likely spots as a test, but there just doesn't seem to be waypoint/animation combos that work. I can't put more guys in the torpedo room or the deck gun or even on the bunks. Adding crewmen also breaks savegame compatability. So, I'm going to shelve that for now.

Add crewmen to sub. Tried and gave up. :down:
Add crewmen to torpedo room. Tried and gave up. :down:
Add crewmen to the deck gun. Tried and gave up.:down:
Testing 1.2.1, I got into combat for the first time, other than the tutorial. Like others have noted, the crew's lack of concern with what's going on, especially when damaged, is a big let down. Flooding and sparks and water spraying everywhere doesn't seem to concern them at all. This seems a good area to improve. The necessary infrastructure seems to all be there. The devs included damage control animations. There appear to be the necessary triggers, tho I don't fully understand them yet. I think I can utilize the gun crews, who are the guys on the bunks incidently, as a DC party. I can also jazz up the close explosion and damage reactions, add yells, curses, screams when injured, that sort of stuff.

I keep coming back to the Chief since he's the most important crew member. When the planesmen go up on watch, the Chief needs to find something else to do. Standing there directing guys who aren't there is kinda lame. I'll maybe have him wander on back to the engine room or something. It might be nice to have the bosun go on walkabout occasionally too.

Whattayathink?

Ragtag
03-23-10, 02:09 PM
Yeah. I suppose removing the Depth tag means you can't overide it once you enter it. What happens if you issue a surface command right afterwards?

I just tried it with these settings in commands.cfg

[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x56,Cs,"V"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes

Crash dive script worked fine. Override also worked fine. I could change depth by setting depth on the bar and by using shortcuts F,V and S+V.

Seems like you solved the problem unless there is more to it :)

UPDATE: Seems like it introduced a new problem. After diving and re-surfacing the game seems to think that the u-boat is still under water. Crew is not going back to bridge and CO2 shows up after awhile.

Barso
03-23-10, 02:09 PM
I like the way you're thinking Heretic.
Those sounds like fantastic ideas.

Heretic
03-23-10, 02:17 PM
UPDATE: Seems like it introduced a new problem. After diving and re-surfacing the game seems to think that the u-boat is still under water. Crew is not going back to bridge and CO2 shows up after awhile.

That's what I was worried about. We just don't know the full implications of removing that tag.

Will-Rommel
03-23-10, 02:24 PM
Sweet project. :sunny:

blechritter
03-23-10, 02:30 PM

I suppose, that each and every command called in a particular sequence will trigger its unique script if not overwritten by a command belonging to the same CommandClass (except 'Generic' which presumably never should get overwritten). This allows to orchestrate animations according to a well defined sequence of commands. Overwriting might be necessary though to prevent funny results. So I guess if a surface command requires its own set of animations thru its own script, it should be 'Generic'.

At the end, each set of commands expected to be executed in a particular sequence should be examined if overwriting should be utilized or disabled.

Hope I could provide assistance

P.S.: Just gave it a try. Removed CommandClass from the surface command as well and your script brought all hands back to their watch stations

Heretic
03-23-10, 02:48 PM
Good stuff to know. I appreciate you looking into it.

blechritter
03-24-10, 02:02 AM
My current conclusion to our common problem with crash dive and related commands is, that the command set_depth is called implicitly. (It is mentioned in the devs docs somewhere), thereby overwriting previous commands. So no trigger.

My attempt to simply remove CommandClass from these depth changing commands sadly helps only in a non modding friendly way.

If we could learn by which command set_depth was called, then by merging all related strategies into set_depth.aix would make it mod friendlier.

Has anyone any idea if a dev could be contacted to provide for such a global variable, which hopefully exists?

Still eager to see men running forwards in case of a crash dive

Coldcall
03-24-10, 11:12 AM
just tested the new version of this mod and it looks really great. I like how all the watch crew now turn as they scan the horizon with their binocs.

My only one complaint is that the front left watchman doesnt need to turn all the way around to look 180 behind him/stern, as the back left watchman is also covering the rear.

Of course, Im just nit-picking because this watch crew is a 100% improvement on vanilla. Thanks very much for your great work Heretic.

ACSoft
03-25-10, 12:31 AM
Heretic, first, congrat's for this great mod !!!

I use a modified version of Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands mod (adapted to swiss-QWERTZ keyboard). With this mod, we have most of SHIII commands back, which mean for example, speaking of the crash dive, command "C" instead of "shift-V".

This my crash dive command:

[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x43,C,"C"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes
CommandClass=Depth

Generally speaking, I wonder if using a different set of commands like with this Church's mod, can cause problem(s) with your mod ?

Can-you also describe what overall behaviors we are supposed to see, with a crash dive, in comparison with a normal dive ? I mean, without to know this, it is difficult to determin if all is working properly.

In my case, I don't see significant differences between a normal dive and a crash dive, except that during a crash dive, most of the time, men don't have enough time to "go down". So, some of them are still on the deck, while the coning tower is already submerged.

Are we supposed to hear shouting "Alaaaarm tauchen" in crash dive, like it happen without your mod ?

EDIT: I was testing from outside view. Now that I tested also from inside the sub, I hear the "Alaaaarm tauchen" and therefore I can know if your sequence is triggered or not.

Thanks in forward for your help.

ACS

Gandalfi2005
03-25-10, 03:28 AM
Great Mod. Im always using it and looking forward for your next releases. :salute:

ACSoft
03-25-10, 10:26 AM
Hi Heretic,

Looking at your mod files, I think I found perhap some missing statements "Wp:ScriptCompleted()"

In:
crash_dive.aix - > strategy crashd_VALVE(wp)
dive.aix - > strategy dive_CHIEF(wp)
periscope_depth - > strategy pscope_VALVE(wp)
snorkel_depth - > strategy snorkd_VALVE(wp)

Maybe it is not important or even voluntary, I don't know (I am totally newbie with SH scripting !!!). By curiosity, I just tested a corrected version of the mod and all seem to work well too with these statements added. Anyway, just in case they were really missing, you will know !!!

ACS

PS: I was looking there, to see if there is a way to tune the crash dive duration, so that all 4 guys have the time to go down. Do-you know if this timing can be tuned in some way ?

Heretic
03-25-10, 11:02 AM
I'll look into the missing statements. They should be added, but I've tried to get the stock Crash_dive scipt trigger with no result. So I don't think that's an issue for triggering.

The reason the guys don't go down on crash dive is the crash dive script doesn't get called by the crash dive command, VAR_DIVE_ORDER doesn't get set, so they go under the old way - by the IsSubmerged trigger.

Here's the squence that's supposed to happen:

The command is given and one of the sounds listed in Commands.cfg get's played

Then the command script gets called and the various crewmen perform the strategies specified in crew_commands.txt.
The chief calls out his engine, ballast tank and hydroplane orders. - Yells in crash dive
The Ballast tank guy turns his valves
The Helman is used only to play the dive alarm bell
The XO is used to play the "ALARM" call, then some 'move it!' commmands
The HA, HF, and WO come rushing down the ladder because VAR_DIVE_ORDER = 2. - Stumble at bottom in crash dive

*edit* A sure indicator the crash dive script is being called is the guy falling down at the base of the ladder.

Then set_depth gets called and plays it's hydroplane orders - usually these are skipped because the previous orders sounds are still playing.

Since Crash_dive doesn't get called, normally you'll only hear the inital sounds triggered from Commands.cfg and then the hydoplane orders in set_depth.

My override changes it so that the set_depth command uses the Crash_dive scripts to get the crew down and the vocalizations played. That's why when the override is installed, you'll see the full crash dive sequence. They're being triggered by set_depth.

I'd like to disable the sounds tirggered from command.cfg so I can controll them. I've done that with the dive commands.

ACSoft
03-25-10, 12:17 PM
I'll look into the missing statements. They should be added, but I've tried to get the stock Crash_dive scipt trigger with no result. So I don't think that's an issue for triggering.

The reason the guys don't go down on crash dive is the crash dive script doesn't get called by the crash dive command, VAR_DIVE_ORDER doesn't get set, so they go under the old way - by the IsSubmerged trigger.

Here's the squence that's supposed to happen:

The command is given and one of the sounds listed in Commands.cfg get's played

Then the command script is gets called and the various crewmen perform the strategies specified in crew_commands.txt.
The chief calls out his engine, ballast tank and hydroplane orders. - Yells in crash dive
The Ballast tank guy turns his valves
The Helman is used only to play the dive alarm bell
The XO is used to play the "ALARM" call, then some 'move it!' commmands
The HA, HF, and WO come rushing down the ladder because VAR_DIVE_ORDER = 2. - stumblea at bottom in crash dive

*edit* A sure indicator the crash dive script is being called is the guy falling down at the baase of the ladder.

Then set_depth gets called and plays it's hydroplane orders - usually these are skipped because the previous orders sounds are still playing.

Since Crash_dive doesn't get called, normally you'll only hear the inital sounds triggered from Commands.cfg and then the hydoplane orders in set_depth.

My override changes it so that the set_depth command uses the Crash_dive scripts to get the crew down and the vocalizations played.

I'd like to disable the sounds tirggered from command.cfg so I can controll them. I've done that with the dive commands.

Thanks, Heretic, for all these precious informations ! They removed some doubts I had about my numerous tests. For your informations, this is the behaviors I have:

First, without the optional crash_dive workaround, I NEVER get your crash dive script, but with it, I ALWAYS get it, not only with a direct mouse click on the deep-meter, BUT ALSO with the crash dive command, which is in my case, the old style "C" key (Key0=0x43,C,"C").

The only problem I have, is that for crash dives, most of the time, ONE OR TWO guys don't have enough time to go down, before the coning tower get submerged and for sure, I am speaking of YOUR script, not the IsSubmerged trigger. The behavior with IsSubmerged trigger, is clearly different (all guys remain on the deck until the submarine is submerged).

This is why I was wondering if the crash dive time (which seem far to short to me in any cases) can be made longer. This would be just perfect: enough time for the guys to go down, plus a more realistic dive time.

Do-you think this can be tweaked ?

ACS

Heretic
03-25-10, 12:32 PM
First, without the optional crash_dive workaround, I NEVER get your crash dive script, but with it, I ALWAYS get it, not only with a direct mouse click on the deep-meter, BUT ALSO with the crash dive command, which is in my case, the old style "C" key (Key0=0x43,C,"C").

The only problem I have, is that for crash dives, most of the time, ONE OR TWO guys don't have enough time to go down, before the coning tower get submerged and for sure, I am speaking of YOUR script, not the IsSubmerged trigger. The behavior with IsSubmerged trigger, is clearly different (all guys remain on the deck until the submarine is submerged).

This is why I was wondering if the crash dive time (which seem far to short to me in any cases) can be made longer. This would be just perfect: enough time for the guys to go down, plus a more realistic dive time
Do-you think this can be tweaked ?

ACS

That's exactly what the override is supposed to do. The set_depth command is triggered immediately after crash dive. So when you hit crash dive by mouse click or hotkey, you'll see my crash_dive script being performed by the set_depth command.

As far as coming down faster, I think they need to finish the animation they're on first before they can move on to the next command. I do think it's possible the boat is submerging faster than historical, but that's a job for another mod.

It's definitely something I can continue tweaking

ACSoft
03-25-10, 12:58 PM
That's exactly what the override is supposed to do. The set_depth command is triggered immediately after crash dive. So when you hit crash dive by mouse click or hotkey, you'll see my crash_dive script being performed by the set_depth command.

So great, all is working properly by me too !

As far as coming down faster, I think they need to finish the animation they're on first before they can move on to the next command.

Yes, I confirm this. The whole time required for your script to fully accomplish vary, as we can see "guys behaviors timings" differences.

I do think it's possible the boat is submerging faster than historical, but that's a job for another mod.

It's definitely something I can continue tweaking

Hope you will be more lucky than me, because I searched quite long since now, to found something which could inspire me about tweaking the diving timing, but I found nothing until now !!!

ACS

Heretic
03-25-10, 01:49 PM
Hope you will be more lucky than me, because I searched quite long since now, to found something which could inspire me about tweaking the diving timing, but I found nothing until now !!!

ACS

Oh, I didn't mean tweaking the dive time. I meant I can try getting the crew down faster.

Will-Rommel
03-25-10, 02:04 PM
Oh, I didn't mean tweaking the dive time. I meant I can try getting the crew down faster.

Yep, definitely the way to go ! :up:

ACSoft
03-25-10, 02:40 PM

I timed the crash dive and finally, it is close from the reality (~30 sec), a bit shorter but not much. So, right, better to tweak the crew going down faster, I agree too.

ACS

Heretic
03-25-10, 03:22 PM
I'm considering not making the crash dive override optional in the next version, just including it as part of the mod like I originally intended. I think it'd cause less confusion.

bert8for3
03-25-10, 06:14 PM
Many thanks for the latest ver :up:

piri_reis
03-25-10, 07:36 PM
Just got the chance to try out the latest version. Loving the diving and surfacing sequences with the Chief & others much more talkative. Yet to try out the ALAAAAAARMM!

:rock:

Krieg87
03-25-10, 10:42 PM
This is a great mod!
Thanksa lot!

Adds a lot more depth to the game!

SteelViking
03-25-10, 10:54 PM
Just thought I would let you know, the crash dive button that Darkwraith added in his UI mods seems to make your crash dive script work. I do not have the workaround enabled or anything, but when I hit the button I have a watchman falling down the ladder, chief screaming "crash dive" and the whole bit.

Edit: The button was there before DarkWraith's UI, but his UI seems to be making the difference.

Txema
03-26-10, 05:48 AM
Just thought I would let you know, the crash dive button that Darkwraith added in his UI mods seems to make your crash dive script work. I do not have the workaround enabled or anything, but when I hit the button I have a watchman falling down the ladder, chief screaming "crash dive" and the whole bit.

Really ???

I have to try it !!!

Excellent finding :up:

Txema

ACSoft
03-26-10, 06:06 AM
I'm considering not making the crash dive override optional in the next version, just including it as part of the mod like I originally intended. I think it'd cause less confusion.

To my view 3x YES. I made it myself already by me.

1) Without it, what you intended to feature is broken.
2) With it, everthing just work fine, no bad side effect.
3) More easy to switch from mod's with or without beards

The only side effect of the override is that the user have to remember that ordering a dive from the surface with a direct mouse click on the deep-meter, will result in a crash dive to 70 meter and NOT a normal dive to the selected deepth. To my view, this is not a problem. This could even have been a voluntary feature of the simulation.

ACS

ACSoft
03-26-10, 07:08 AM

Just tested that by me, but it does not work in my case.

If you want to be sure, look the sub from outside (follow it with the cam), hit the crash dive key ("shift-V" or "C" depending your mod's). Now, if you can see some or all guys going down, one by one, before the sub is submerged, mean the Heretic crash dive script work. If all four guys don't react until they are under the water, mean the script don't work.

ACS

t0maz
03-26-10, 08:16 AM
Awesome! :rock:

And optional crash dive workaround is good idea for me. :up:

Thx!

Heretic
03-26-10, 09:34 AM

I'm not seeing it when I try it. It can be confusing since the commands.cfg triggers sounds.

SteelViking
03-26-10, 09:49 AM
Ok I did a lot of testing under a bunch of conditions. When I am already going all ahead flank (I refuse to call it "extreme speed") and I hit the crash dive button on DarkWraith's UI the script will not trigger, and I go down like normal albeit to fast.....But if I am going any other speed-full, half, etc and I hit the button the script triggers= new dialog from chief, guy falling down ladder, and the outside behavior explained by ACSoft. However, I then do not dive. The script triggers but the boat remains on the surface and I have to hit the button again to actually crash dive.

Heretic
03-26-10, 10:15 AM
That's weird. Does it behave the same way without the UI mod?

SteelViking
03-26-10, 01:52 PM
Just tested it under every condition I can think of, and no, with the stock UI the script never triggers, but it does dive every time. After unloading and reloading all mods, I still have the same behavior I described before.

I hope the information I am providing is actually helpful by the way.

Heretic
03-26-10, 02:37 PM
Well huh... When I try it with the stock UI, it doesn't work. When I try it with the default version of DW's new UI, it doesn't work. Then it occurred to me try try one of his variants. I switched it over to the SH3 variant, and suddenly it works. I wonder what the difference is?

Thanks for the info .

kylania
03-26-10, 02:41 PM
Well huh... When I try it with the stock UI, it doesn't work. When I try it with the default version of DW's new UI, it doesn't work. Then it occurred to me try try one of his variants. I switched it over to the SH3 variant, and suddenly it works. I wonder what the difference is?

Thanks for the info .

Tried the DW SH5E interface yesterday. From surface clicked the right side Crash Drive button and it worked. I crash dived, heard some "alaaarm" and thuds as people came down the ladder, saw ladder climbing animations and stuff.

I surfaced and pressed "c" my key for crash dive. I heard a bell (no alaarm) and went to flank speed, but that was it. No dive or anything. Pressed it again, got the bell, no yelling, but did dive.

SteelViking
03-26-10, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info .

You are more than welcome. I find this one of the most important mods out so far, and I am glad to help in any way possible.:salute:

Heretic
03-28-10, 03:25 PM
I finally solved it. If I put Wp:ExecuteCommand("Crash_dive" ) as the first command, none of the others will execute. If I put it after something else, everything works fine even in the stock UI. No more override.:yeah:

Athlonic
03-28-10, 05:42 PM
I finally solved it. If I put Wp:ExecuteCommand("Crash_dive" ) as the first command, none of the others will execute. If I put it after something else, everything works fine even in the stock UI. No more override.:yeah:

Excellent !

SteelViking
03-28-10, 11:19 PM

Glad to hear it!:rock:

pythos
03-29-10, 01:40 AM
This is so awesome. Now we have watch crew that do as they should....they leave the bridge before the boat goes under water!!!

YES!!!

Hopefully we can get crew moving about the boat too, perhaps having the Bosun and cook making their rounds. LOL. That would be great!!!

I wish I had the know how to help with this, you guys are too awesome for words.

Sh5 is gonna be the best subsim since SH3.

Bravo

thruster
03-29-10, 02:19 AM
pythos wrote: I wish I had the know how to help with this, you guys are too awesome for words.

Sh5 is gonna be the best subsim since SH3.

agree totally to all the above. :rock::salute:

redcoat22
03-29-10, 07:39 AM
Great work

ACSoft
03-29-10, 10:02 AM

Great Heretic !!!

Congratulations !!!

ACS

doomlordis
03-29-10, 10:24 AM
Will you have a new version coming out then that fixes the crash dive bug on stock ui?

Heretic
03-29-10, 11:22 AM
Will you have a new version coming out then that fixes the crash dive bug on stock ui?

I don't really know anymore if it is actually a bug or just some peculiarity with how crash dive works. But, yes, my new version will work just fine with the stock UI without the need for the set_depth workaround.

ACSoft
03-29-10, 11:50 AM
Hi Heretic,

I couldn't wait and by curiosity, I came back to mod without workaround and modified "crash_dive.aix" that way:

Wp:SetGlobalVariable(VAR_SURFACE_ORDER, 0); # override any surface orders
Wp:SetGlobalVariable(VAR_DIVE_ORDER, 2); # this will trigger hard landing for bridge watch

Wp:ExecuteCommand( "Crash_dive" );

Wp:PlayAttenuatedSoundWithLipsync("ChiefEngineer\Tension\MC_CR_CHIEF_24", 2.0); # "shut down diesel engines"

And it work !

With this modif, now, the only case where the four guys stay on the bridge until the submarine is submerged, is when I make the sub diving from the surface, with a direct dial with a mouse click on the dive-meter.

Of course nothing change, speaking of the time required for the guys to go down. It still happen that with crash dive, some of them don't have the time to go down, before the sub is submerged.

ACS

Heretic
03-29-10, 12:16 PM
Weird isn't it? It's the only command I've found that the sequence makes a difference.

ACSoft
03-30-10, 05:15 AM
Weird isn't it? It's the only command I've found that the sequence makes a difference.

Yes, crazy stuff ! Most probably something weak inside the script interpreter engine. I bet for something "time critical".

By the way, did you found a way to tweak the timing for the guys to go down ?

Another question: Is-it possible to tie your normal dive behavior to the dive command given through a direct mouse click on the deep-meter ?

ACS

Heretic
03-30-10, 08:44 AM
Yes, crazy stuff ! Most probably something weak inside the script interpreter engine. I bet for something "time critical".

By the way, did you found a way to tweak the timing for the guys to go down ?

Another question: Is-it possible to tie your normal dive behavior to the dive command given through a direct mouse click on the deep-meter ?

ACS

Clicking the depth gauge triggers the set_depth command. I can script it to do anything I want. The trouble is I don't know which direction the depth change is so I just have some hydroplane orders. Even if the boat is on the surface, I can't assume that a depth change is a dive since you could be clicking on 0 depth or something.

As far as getting the crew down before it goes under. The only way I 've thought of is to move the crash_dive command down futher in the sequence, delaying the dive. Dunno if that's an appropriate thing for this mod to be doing tho.

Thresher
03-30-10, 09:22 AM
Clicking the depth gauge triggers the set_depth command. I can script it to do anything I want. The trouble is I don't know which direction the depth change is so I just have some hydroplane orders. Even if the boat is on the surface, I can't assume that a depth change is a dive since you could be clicking on 0 depth or something.

I would think there is some global being set when this happens, as well as a global for current_depth for comparison's sake.

Do we have a list of known global var's anywhere?

Heretic
03-30-10, 09:31 AM
I would think there is some global being set when this happens, as well as a global for current_depth for comparison's sake.

Do we have a list of known global var's anywhere?

There seems to be because the UI scripts likely use it. I wonder if it's possible to do something with the python stuff to pass variables to the AI scripts. Would be handy. The AI scripts have their own globals defined in init.aix.

Thresher
03-30-10, 10:37 AM
I emailed UBI about getting a list of globals and to what extent we can play with the .py legally ..... and a few other things.

Cross your fingers.

Thresher
03-30-10, 03:00 PM
I emailed UBI about getting a list of globals and to what extent we can play with the .py legally ..... and a few other things.

Cross your fingers.

I asked:

Is their a list of global variables that are accessible by scripts?

For instance, we want to determine if a depth clicked on the gauge is greater than or less than current depth, so that we can perform different crew actions via scripts.

Reply:

Response (Jason) - 03/30/2010 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, Ubi Soft Technical Support can not provide information for editing the game in any way. Please refer to your LICENSE AGREEMENT for more information.

:rotfl2:

kylania
03-30-10, 03:02 PM

Cross your fingers.

There's a button called ViewGlobals to let you see the variables that the script is working with and see the exposed properties for those variables.
* The script manager has some useful features like text-auto-complete, jump-to-function-definition, find-text and go-to-line-number.
* Also, there's a tab called Class Definitions to see all the classes exported to the python scripts containing the inheritance tree, description, nested types, properties, methods and events.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162702

schuhart
03-30-10, 03:12 PM
Fantastic mod :up:
Hoping for more addons in the near future.

Schuhart

urfisch
03-30-10, 03:18 PM

Cross your fingers.

ask one of the devs via pm here...you might get an answer...

;)

marean_m or elanaiba

TheDarkWraith
03-30-10, 03:36 PM
I asked:

Is their a list of global variables that are accessible by scripts?

For instance, we want to determine if a depth clicked on the gauge is greater than or less than current depth, so that we can perform different crew actions via scripts.

GUIDialsWrapper provides functions just for this. A good example of this code being used is in my UIs mod.

kapitan_zur_see
03-31-10, 04:38 PM
fantastic work, as always with you Heretic :up:

ACSoft
04-02-10, 05:58 AM

Of course, if you cannot detect that the command is given when in "surfaced" state and that the command order a depth greater or equal to periscope deepth, better to left all this as it is now.

Sad, I thought this might be possible to do in the script, by reading some variables.

As far as getting the crew down before it goes under. The only way I 've thought of is to move the crash_dive command down futher in the sequence, delaying the dive. Dunno if that's an appropriate thing for this mod to be doing tho.

Thanks for the info. I will make some tests.

ACS

EgoApocalypse
04-05-10, 01:26 PM
Great.................now its starting to feel like it should.:woot:

vonTorpitz
04-05-10, 08:49 PM
Thanks Heretic. I was having a hard time adapting to the new officer interaction feature and you're making it easier with fine work like this. Your crew are infinitely cooler and more authentic looking than the vanilla guys.