PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] In-Game whiz weel

gutted
03-02-10, 03:22 PM
Some of you may have used my Solution Solver (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1358) program.. and im really interested in moving atleast part of INTO the game itself. Specifically the whiz-wheel.

Here's a hypothetical image:
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/gorey666/SolutionSolver2.png

With it In-Game, and with the scripting capabilities.. i see no reason why we cant have parts of it tied to the sub.

such as:
The direction your scope is looking
The direction your ship is heading.
The AOB on the wheel tied to the AOB in the TDC.

Basically, the topmost AOB dial would be the only one the user needs to operate.

For instance, turning your scope would rotate all of the dials accordingly.
-Turning your ship would rotate the inner two dials accordingly.
-Changing the AOB either on the wheel or in the TDC should update the other.

I'm hoping there is a way to tie it into the slideout map, with a toggle button to flip between the two so we can size it. But if not, an overlay would be just as good i guess.

In any event.. im going to be looking into making this happen. I haven't done any UI modding in SH before, so there is some things i will have to figure out. I'm hoping some of you with more experience in that area could help get me started quicker... or to even help make it happen.

Lets work together

reaper7
03-02-10, 03:35 PM
Ha I was just messing about with photoshop myself doing up some mock ups myself for the SH5 perisope Interface.
Trying to fill in the time waining on SH5 to arrive.
Was looking at this pic as seen on the SH3 Forum for a Angriffsscheibe:

If you like I could redo my own AOB graphics in this style for you to incorporate to keep it more in line with the uBoat theme.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2793/subsimattack1da3.jpg

gutted
03-02-10, 03:43 PM
Someone added one into SH3? Sheesh, i should go back and see everything thats been done with it sometime. I had moved to SH4 full time too soon i guess hehe.

Anyway, thats awesome. Was it tied to the scope, ship heading, and AOB inputs?

As for graphics, im sure ppl will have different opinions on whats better. For me, it's readability and usability. And that one is a bit harsh on the eyes, but then again.. i've stared at the other one so long anything would look foreign to me heheheh.

reaper7
03-02-10, 03:49 PM
Was it tied to the scope, ship heading, and AOB inputs?.

Heres a link to the topic. Haven't tried it myself, it was one I came across researching is-was slide rules when doing my AOB Calculator.

Pic of the AOB finder in SH3 Mod
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5627/subsimaobf1bt4.jpg

Link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123373&highlight=Angriffsscheibe

gutted
03-02-10, 03:59 PM
Bah.. i dont need an AOB finder. I'm at the point where i can guess it pretty close by eye. But i do very much like using an AOB Wheel, because it can give you all sorts of useful info besides just an AOB.

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 04:34 PM
Someone added one into SH3?
Yeppers. Hitman made a downloadable one that you can print out and make your own 'real' version, and joegrundman made this wonderful mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123373&highlight=u-jagd+tools

Onelifecrisis's (the plural would normally be crises, but since it's a name...) OLC-GUI is based on that, and is one a lot of folks absolutely love.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123323&highlight=u-jagd+tools

reaper7
03-02-10, 04:41 PM
Hi Gutted, here's a comcept similar to yours using the Angriffsscheibe.
Agree the AOB Finder would be limited in use and take up to much room.
Have shown a U-jagd Stoppuhr in place of the standard stopwatch which could be tied to your speed calculator.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/reaper7_bucket/PHCC/Silent%20Hunter%205/SH5PeriscopeScreen.png

gutted
03-02-10, 04:44 PM
Oh yes, now i remember, the U-Jagd tools. I did check that out briefly a long time ago, but i don't recal playing around with the AOB Wheel.

I did however use the Chrono from that mod as a template for the speed solver artwork.

As for the pull down AOB Finder, im not really interested in that. Just seems like too much trouble for something that can easily be done by eye.

gutted
03-02-10, 04:47 PM
Have shown a U-jagd Stoppuhr in place of the standard stopwatch which could be tied to your speed calculator.

before that chrono would be of any use.. we'd need the ship lengths displayed on the rec manual. :D

jmr
03-03-10, 03:02 AM
Hmmm I don't have SHV yet but awhile back I downloaded a mod that replaced ship speed with length in the recognition manual for SHIV. Of course they had to go through each .cfg for every ship to find its length to do the necessary replacement. Not what I would call an eloquent solution but it's better than nothing until a modder tackles it.

BTW, gutted, did you use to play WW2OL? That handle is familiar.

gutted
03-03-10, 04:22 AM
BTW, gutted, did you use to play WW2OL? That handle is familiar.

Yup, i started in early 2002, and was C.O. of JG52 from 2004-2008.

Do a search for "JG52Gutted" on youtube. I made quite a few ww2ol movies.

Dont play it anymore though, and the squad died in my absence.

joegrundman
03-03-10, 04:39 AM
Ha I was just messing about with photoshop myself doing up some mock ups myself for the SH5 perisope Interface.
Trying to fill in the time waining on SH5 to arrive.
Was looking at this pic as seen on the SH3 Forum for a Angriffsscheibe:

If you like I could redo my own AOB graphics in this style for you to incorporate to keep it more in line with the uBoat theme.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2793/subsimattack1da3.jpg

or why not just take these existing images and use them directly?

this was linked to bearing and heading, but not aob. with python should be a piece of cake to link in aob

lastly, it is not necessary to have highly accurate shiplength data to make effective use of the u-jagd chrono, contrary to popular opinion. After all, highly accurate and reliable data was not available in real life

gutted
03-03-10, 04:47 AM
Because its not easy on the eyes. In Real-Life... maybe, but those clear things on a 2D dial? bleh!

I'd prefer to have something alittle easier to look at and operate. It doesn't have to be the one i posted, but.. hopefully it will retain it's ease of use.

But thats my opinion. You guys feel free to do it however you want. I'll just swap it out on my end :D

gutted
03-03-10, 04:51 AM
lastly, it is not necessary to have highly accurate shiplength data to make effective use of the u-jagd chrono, contrary to popular opinion. After all, highly accurate and reliable data was not available in real life

It's not that i need highly accurate ship length data.. it's just that i have absolutely no idea how long a given ship "might" be.. especially so in meters.

150m? 175m? 200m? Hell if i know... i live in the US and we think in feet. :)

joegrundman
03-03-10, 05:09 AM
well 3 feet is 1 yard and 1 yard is 90 cm - or 11 yards = 10 m

so, if i see a 300 foot ship , it's 100 yards and knock off 10%

very easy after the first few tries

don1reed
03-03-10, 05:10 AM
gutted, it might be worth while pointing out that the Angriffsschreibe provided above by joegrundman and Hitman is an exact copy of the one that now sits in the Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport, UK. It's what the Kreigsmarine really used.

joegrundman
03-03-10, 05:13 AM
i think if he cared about historical feel, he'd have used the actual USN submarine attack course finder rather than the primary colours tool above

Hitman
03-03-10, 08:23 AM
Does this one look easier to the eyes? It's already implemented in my WIP interface for SH3, but I can give you teh graphics if you are interested.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9818/preview2zq.jpg

Flopper
03-03-10, 08:37 AM
Now y'all are making me consider ordering a new machine. It's all of these tools and wheels and gizmos that keep me in sh3 instead of sh4.

reaper7
03-03-10, 11:55 AM
Does this one look easier to the eyes? It's already implemented in my WIP interface for SH3, but I can give you teh graphics if you are interested.

Hitman that has a great look to it. The SH3 interface you talk about have you dial and gauges art as well. Would like to do up some UI graphics for SH5, but finding it hard to find references to the dials used in the type VII's :D

Sailor Steve
03-03-10, 02:33 PM
If your original was a good copy of the real one, what in the bouncing blue blazes is that?

Whatever it is, it looks cool.:sunny:

gutted
03-03-10, 03:18 PM
If your original was a good copy of the real one, what in the bouncing blue blazes is that?

Whatever it is, it looks cool.:sunny:

Ditto, im kinda confused lookin at it. At first galnce, it seems like it's missing something but i can't put my finger on it.

How do you work it?

GDFTigerTank
03-03-10, 03:33 PM
Outer Ring - reading of target heading relative to your periscope view (you set it)
Inner Ring - Compass heading of your boat. (automatic input I think)

Black Needle - shows you AOB based on Outer and Inner Ring.

I believe.

Ex.:

So lets say you're traveling due west at 270*
The inner ring points to 270 automatically.

Using your periscope you spot a ship 20 degrees to starboard on course due South 180*
You dial in his course on the outer Dial as 180*

The black needle will then have moved to show AOB of 110 degrees to take into account 90 degree difference between your heading and target + 20 degrees for the periscope heading.

Flopper
03-04-10, 08:14 AM

Hitman, I've looked around but can't seem to locate your sh3 wip interface mod. Is it available in any form for download? Looks amazing!

Hitman
03-04-10, 08:25 AM

It's a different model of wiz-wheel, also issued to Uboats :DL I have a pic of real one.

Ditto, im kinda confused lookin at it. At first galnce, it seems like it's missing something but i can't put my finger on it.

How do you work it?

It has one dial less, because this one works with true bearings, and not with relative ones. The lettering in the wheel explains as function nš 1 how to convert relative bearings into true, but given how it works in the game, it is done automatically. The only thing you need to move at all is the central white dial with the black arrow.

Outer Ring - reading of target heading relative to your periscope view (you set it)
Inner Ring - Compass heading of your boat. (automatic input I think)

Black Needle - shows you AOB based on Outer and Inner Ring.

I believe.

Humm not exactly. It works like this:

Outer black dial: Shows true course of your uboat, at the top of it. Since this is just a clone copy of the compass in the Uboat, it will rotate automatically.

Pointer: Shows your line of sight, i.e. where your periscope or UZO are trained at. You must obviously aim at the target.

Just with those two, you can already know the true (relative to north, and not to your uboat's bow) bearing to target.

Inner white dial: The only one you will rotate manually. Represents target course and AOB. What you do is eyebal the target's AOb, and rotate the dial until that number matches the arrow in the pointer marked as "Lagewinkel" (German for AOB). Then you can read the target's true course in the outer black wheel, by looking at where the black pointer in the white wheel indicates.

Inversely, you can put the known target true course (If you have run paralell to him and know it already) and read AOB from the pointer.

Hitman, I've looked around but can't seem to locate your sh3 wip interface mod. Is it available in any form for download? Looks amazing!

It's WIP and in Beta status, and being tested by some guys in the SH3 forum. If you want the templates in bigger size and res for use in SH5, shoot me a PM and I will send you a link to them.

Flopper
03-04-10, 09:27 AM
It's WIP and in Beta status, and being tested by some guys in the SH3 forum. If you want the templates in bigger size and res for use in SH5, shoot me a PM and I will send you a link to them.

I'm still on the fence about shv, but teetering heavily toward the "I'll just wait, for now" side of it. Very interested in your work, though, and looking forward to its release! If you need more beta testers, please let me know.

GDFTigerTank
03-04-10, 09:54 AM
Hitman,

Thanks for the correction and explanation. I can't wait to see this working in Silent Hunter 5! :yeah: