PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Python Scripting Tutorials / Docs

Nisgeis
02-20-10, 04:18 AM
As it's core to the menu / interface system, it seems like a good idea to see if anyone has any links to any good python scripting sites / tutorials / documentation for those of us, me included, who've not used it before. Thanks!

martes86
02-20-10, 11:31 AM
This one would be the first and most logical step: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

:yep:

Hawk66
02-23-10, 02:01 PM
SH5 is moddable via Python? That's cool...my favorite language :) although usually I am not so interested in a WWII sim.

Does anybody know if other parts of the sim are also moddable via Python? For example the AI?

piri_reis
02-23-10, 02:03 PM
Does anybody know if other parts of the sim are also moddable via Python? For example the AI?

The devs have said many aspects of the game including the AI is moddable.

Nisgeis
02-23-10, 02:11 PM

Cool, might be time to dust off my degree.

Thanks for the link Martes!

longam
02-23-10, 06:32 PM
SH5 is moddable via Python? That's cool...my favorite language :) although usually I am not so interested in a WWII sim.

One of the things I remember was the replacing of the ini files with this. I hope it solves many problems with over writing the file with other mod ini files.

IMPORTANT https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/f/ff/Important.png

I think this is the first time that this is being mentioned (anywhere): big parts of the interface are being scripted, so there will be some quality modding on the interface (the kind of quality that can be seen in World of Warcraft mods).

The syntax being used is the one from Python.
The script will access the game through a SDK. Also, the scripted code can access the whole of .Net Framework classes (though it's not that necessary).
The editing of the scripts is done inside a special window, that allows the editing of the scripts while the game is running (edit & continue) with text auto-complete and jumping to function definitions, the inspection of the game variables in real time (through a property grid) and the complete description of all the exported classes (inheritance, properties, methods, events, inner types (enums, other classes)). Please note that not ALL game classes have been exported to the scripts.
Also, please note that not ALL the interface has been scripted, due to game (and time) limitations.

But the road has been opened for you to unleash your imagination and talent.

And, as always, there is the Mission Editor for single missions and dynamic campaigns.

At last, but not least, the way the AI thinks has been scripted and is being stored in text files (in a custom format). So that has also been opened for modding.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155879&highlight=python

martes86
02-23-10, 06:42 PM

The UI is the main thing I know for sure was moddable already in the preview version for Copenhaguen. I also had a glance at some other stuff, like waypoint info, animations info, and I think AI too. Not sure if those will be moddable via Python as well, or with any other methods (those said "modding tools" to add to the mission editor come to mind).
If we had been allowed to take pics/videos, I'd be able to show you exactly what there was (I had a mini tripod with the camera for static recording) because the devs opened some folders, even a Python source file, but taking notes was the closest I could get, and it was damn fast so to not forget anything hehe.

Cheers :rock:

EDIT: Didn't realize Longam's post (too late in the night, I see blurry already lol), sorry for the repeated info.

jazman
02-25-10, 04:19 PM
Freezing out us Perl geeks.... :wah:

FinnN
02-27-10, 07:06 AM
Freezing out us Perl geeks.... :wah:

Welcome to the 21st century!

Personally I think python could be a great choice, it'll be interesting to see how much is open to scripting - and also what the SDK is like. Taken at face value SHV could be one of the most moddable games out there - on a par with the MS Flight Sim series.

Have fun
Finn

Fincuan
02-27-10, 09:04 AM
Taken at face value SHV could be one of the most moddable games out there - on a par with the MS Flight Sim series.

Judging by the previous Silent Hunters the series has a long way to be called one of the most moddable games out there. A good starting point would be the ability to load content from other sources besides the original gamefiles, thus removing the big no-no of overwriting original data. So far there's also no publically released development tools for the series, none. Everything the modders use is end-user contributed.

The python-thingy seems to be a great step forwards, but judging by the infromation we have now there also seems to be a long way to go.

Sailor Steve
02-27-10, 11:33 AM
Judging by the previous Silent Hunters the series has a long way to be called one of the most moddable games out there.
But why would you judge by the previous Silent Hunters when they've told us that this one was going to be very different?

But we'll see.