PDA

View Full Version : Jutland and Windows 7? Bonus: laptop help?

Kaleun Klink
12-11-09, 12:21 AM
Sorry if this has been addressed already (I did search the forum before posting): Can Jutland run under Windows 7? Any way to make it run under Windows 7?

Bonus: I'm asking because I'm going to buy a laptop, and I'd like to be able to run some fairly graphics-intensive simulations (Jutland, SHIV, flight sims) on it. Any advice on what I should look for / what components are most important? What Core Duo processor / Nvidia card?

Thanks, guys! :up:

Bullethead
12-12-09, 10:17 PM
I don't have Win7 myself, so I can't tell you from 1st-hand experience. However, I've been told that we have some test rigs running the games just fine under Win7. Also, customers in our other forum have also said they're running under Win7. So I'd say "yes", the games do run under Win7.

As for hardware recommendations, that's a matter of personal choice because there are many pieces of gear that will do the job. All I can do is offer the immortal advice to get the biggest, baddest stuff you can afford. That's cheaper in the long run because you can go longer without needed to upgrade or relace it.

Kaleun Klink
12-13-09, 01:20 AM
I don't have Win7 myself, so I can't tell you from 1st-hand experience. However, I've been told that we have some test rigs running the games just fine under Win7. Also, customers in our other forum have also said they're running under Win7. So I'd say "yes", the games do run under Win7.

Thanks, BH! :up:

As for hardware recommendations, that's a matter of personal choice because there are many pieces of gear that will do the job. All I can do is offer the immortal advice to get the biggest, baddest stuff you can afford. That's cheaper in the long run because you can go longer without needed to upgrade or relace it.

Yeah, I hear ya. Sadly, my budget is only around $1,000 -- maybe $1,200 if I push it and make big puppy-dog eyes for my wife... :O:

Bullethead
12-13-09, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. Sadly, my budget is only around $1,000 -- maybe $1,200 if I push it and make big puppy-dog eyes for my wife... :O:

It's possible to get a very good machine for that price if you look around. What you'd be looking for is some off-the-shelf, massed produced thing like an HP. It'll probably have like last year's parts and it might not have everything you want, but depending on what you've got now, it can still be a big improvement.

Right now, there are some amazing deals, especially on refurbs. These are machines 1-2 years old that have been traded in, fixed up, and tested at the factory for resale. Thing is, many of these have Vista on them, so they're trying to get them out of the system muy pronto. If you get one of those, you can take Vista off and put on Win7 from scratch (provided the hardware itself is cool with Win7).

Kaleun Klink
12-13-09, 05:33 PM
I'm thinkin' this ASUS G60VX (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-g60vx-rbbx05/4505-3121_7-33776097.html).

Kaleun Klink
01-05-10, 04:57 PM
Update: I went for this ASUS N61Vn (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220613&cm_re=asus_n61vn-_-34-220-613-_-Product) with Windows 7 and Jutland is running smoothly (knock wood). :salute:

So much better than my desktop, with a Pentium 4 and a 256Mb graphics card! ;)

Now if only I can get comfy with Windows 7 and the partitioned hard drive... :hmmm:

(Seriously, what good is a partitioned hard drive? Every website I go to has a different answer: don't bother with partitioning, keep only OS on the C drive, keep all programs on C and data on D... ach.)

Bullethead
01-05-10, 09:49 PM
Update: I went for this ASUS N61Vn (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220613&cm_re=asus_n61vn-_-34-220-613-_-Product) with Windows 7 and Jutland is running smoothly (knock wood). :salute:

So much better than my desktop, with a Pentium 4 and a 256Mb graphics card! ;)

Great! Glad you found something you like that met your budget.

Now if only I can get comfy with Windows 7 and the partitioned hard drive... :hmmm:

(Seriously, what good is a partitioned hard drive? Every website I go to has a different answer: don't bother with partitioning, keep only OS on the C drive, keep all programs on C and data on D... ach.)

I'm no guru on this so don't do anything irreversible on my advice, but as I understand things, there are some dinosaur programs that run better under XP than Win7, and newer stuff that runs better under Win7. This is both games and other types of apps. I don't know because I have Vista, and I think it's pretty well-established that everything runs better under either XP or Win7 than under the current state of Vista :damn:. But anyway, if you do a lot of old stuff, then it might be worth it to keep an XP partition and dual-boot capability. Otherwise, I don't see the need. But again, I'm no expert.

kraznyi_oktjabr
03-28-10, 02:57 PM
I usually keep my hdd partitioned to C, D and E. C for OS, D for games, E for other stuff.

This because if my Windows installation gets totally messed it's sometimes easier to just wipe C drive totally clean and start again.

If you were unable to retrieve data from C (Windows not starting properly, data corrupted etc.) have what were in D (game saves, scenarios etc.) and E (music, your wives family picture collection PRIORITY!!! :D etc.) are still there.