PDA

View Full Version : Thresher and November, anyone? (Subsim for 50s-60s)

ioncore
12-03-09, 04:04 AM
Hi guys,

Just a small question. While it is quite understandable why WWII, modern times and WWI (in this exact order) do occupy the top charts of all the subsims, I'm pretty sure that there are fans of the early Cold War era: the era of zounds of diezel submarines, the era of USS Nautilus and innovative Threshers, the era of Soviet nuclear fleet buildup and carrier-killer cruise missiles (oh and don't ever forget about Badgers, and of course Bear-C/Kresta/Echo II integral missile guidance system), the mix of aging and dying WWII tactics and completely new doctrines.
Why there always were so little interest for that era? Were there ever attempts to create any mod for 50s-60s (+ early 70s) for any existing commercial subsim? Or were there any indies/open source sims for that era? Being a C++/Linux programmer myself, it seems to me that the powerful dangerdeep (God bless its creators :up:) is an excellent starter platform for such a sort of "modding" experiments, especially due to the amazing technical level of that project and its open sources.

Cheers

Bartolomeus
12-08-09, 04:52 AM
Iam very interested in the Cold War era. I build different models of the Cold War era. Here (http://www.virtualsubmarines.com) is my website.

It would be nice to have a Cold War sim with good graphics like Silent Hunter.

Deamon
02-22-10, 10:26 AM
And i concur with that! I always had great interest in the cold war era and in-fact there are 2 projects dealing with this already.

zakarpatska
03-01-10, 07:55 PM
And i concur with that! I always had great interest in the cold war era and in-fact there are 2 projects dealing with this already.

And the projects are ...?

krashkart
03-01-10, 10:54 PM
Personally, I would like to see a sim like this. Doubt anyone ever thought of it till this post came up. *shrug* I haven't seen anything pertaining to the Cold War excpet perhaps Strike Fighters, which is an ACM. I won't posit any theories here yet. But who knows?

Hitman
03-06-10, 03:52 AM
And the projects are ...?

Look in the sticky thread about indie projects at the top of this forum ;)

goldorak
03-12-10, 06:51 AM
While waiting for ComSubSim I'd say to give Dangerous Waters with the DWX mod installed a spin.
Although its not strictly pure cold war, it has Sturgeon subs, Alfa subs, Victor 1-2-3 subs, etc... You can design cold war scenarios (lets say 1970-1990 timeframe). Cold war subs from the US side are limited to 688 flt 1/2/3, virginia, seawolf and the sturgeon and sturgeon (long variant).
Soviet choice is a bit more extended.

ComSubSim is coming along very nicely, and the 3d models are superb.
its nowhere near finished of course, but even so you can see how much potential this indie-freeware sim has.