PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Best of Subsim Awards!

Aramike
11-18-09, 11:38 PM
That's right - this year (and hopefully annually thereafter), we will be taking some time to celebrate the best and brightest of the Subsim Community. To do so, we've been working behind the scenes to organize the first Best of Subsim Awards!

All winners will, for the next year, have a Best of Subsim medal posted next to their names and avatars. The TOP winners will be receiving prizes courtesy of Neal Stevens.

A committee of random and select members has been formed to to cast their votes for the best in our community, but we need your help finding candidates for the following categories:

Best Poster OTY
Best Midshipman Poster OTY
Best Thread OTY
Best Post OTY
Funniest Post OTY
Mod OTY
Modder OTY
Most Helpful Member OTY
Moderator OTY
Subsim Commander Award (Member who best embodies Subsim and its culture)
This list is certainly not final.

So please, link us up to posts and members you think are deserving of recognition. All of the committee members will be monitoring this thread and will then take the ideas into voting. The top two will be selected for a final vote, and the winners and runners up will be determined.

Thanks in advance for your help! All questions, comments, nomination recommendations are welcome here.

kiwi_2005
11-19-09, 06:00 AM
Scary man... :o

I hate these types of forum competitions cause i never get anywhere :har:

I'll just go and hide for a couple of weeks till its all over :arrgh!:

antikristuseke
11-19-09, 06:02 AM
Since I am generally a crap poster and not on the committee, I am safe :)

papa_smurf
11-19-09, 06:26 AM
"Find a nice hiding spot and don't come out till its over":salute:

antikristuseke
11-19-09, 06:57 AM
Or "Take it like a man, just bite the pillow and cry a little."

SteamWake
11-19-09, 08:28 AM
Oh brother like we dont have enough egos around here already :haha:

Dowly
11-19-09, 09:59 AM

Oh so true. :haha:

danlisa
11-19-09, 11:50 AM
Nice Idea.:up:

Member with the best Sigs -> I nominate Dowly.

:D

Schultz
11-19-09, 12:29 PM
Modder OTY
Karamazovnew

Elder-Pirate
11-19-09, 01:19 PM

Double what he said. :hmmm:

Rapt0r56
11-19-09, 02:11 PM
Very difficult, many great people out there. But in my opinion DivingDuck should get the Award:
Most Helpful Member OTY. Simply the Support on his Mods are great fast and correct. He also helps me alot with some S3D tricks.:yep:

papa_smurf
11-19-09, 03:08 PM
Do we really want to make Dowly's ego any bigger? Imagine the consequences :har:

CaptainHaplo
11-19-09, 06:54 PM
When you nominate someone, please provide a link to something that shows why you feel they should be in the running.

A thread link, mod posting or discussion, etc - so it can be reviewed.

Also, while there is always the risks of ego clashes, and Subsim has seen its share, this is planned on being a yearly occurance that will simply help recognize the people who go above and beyond in making Subsim a home for many of us. Thus, getting in an "ego" contest over it would be counterproductive to winning. :yeah:

Snestorm
11-20-09, 02:12 AM
Most helpful? Easy.: Carotio.
If you haven't seen enough in the threads (hard to believe), check out his site carotio.dk.
Lots of help, in lots of languages.

I'm goin' down
11-20-09, 02:35 AM
Easy AoB mod by Nicolas and ddgrn. First of a new generation of mods re manual targeting. Over 6,000 hits to his mod.

Also, TMO 1.7 to 1.8 Beta and 1.9 by Ducimus. Incredible supermod.

Also, gutted's Solution Solver Program. Amazing work with Youtube videos to accompany it. Combines all aspects of manual targeting in an O'kane attack.

Most helpful, Peabody and Webster. Among other things they, and cbsubron, are working on resurrecting old single missions into a library.

Best Subsim Commander, Rockin Robbins, even though he sunk a U.S. carieer.:har: He is all over the site, cajoling, encouraging, pleading, bitching and thanking all of the members.

joeljansson
11-20-09, 03:17 AM
Scary man... :o

I hate these types of forum competitions cause i never get anywhere :har:

nice idea i do it to:)

danlisa
11-20-09, 03:57 AM
You'd get a better response posting (or linking) this in the individual game sections. Most active Subsim members avoid GT like the plague.:)

HunterICX
11-20-09, 04:11 AM
You'd get a better response posting (or linking) this in the individual game sections. Most active Subsim members avoid GT like the plague.:)

Neal put it up as a announcement so it appears on top of every forum section.

HunterICX

Aramike
11-20-09, 05:12 AM
Now we're talking, gentlemen ... keep the nominations coming!

Aramike
11-20-09, 05:17 AM
PS: I'll post a summary of current nominations on the morrow.

urfisch
11-20-09, 05:50 AM
i nominate myself for "long term modder"...as some of my mods (even from 2005!) are still alive and in use. but also take/took a long time, to be finished...

:know:

:cool:

Sevrin
11-20-09, 11:32 AM
Rockin Robbins would be my pick for most helpful. Made the switch to manual targeting from his entertaining :woot: tutorials and never looked back!

Lot of folks have learned much about every aspect of the fleet boat war in the Pacific from him. Plus he's crazy.. :88)

Ducimus and Lurker for their outstanding and continuing modding work on TMO supermod and RSRDC campaign.
:up:

AVGWarhawk
11-20-09, 11:50 AM
Plus he's crazy.. :88)

Man, that is an understatement!

cgjimeneza
11-20-09, 12:38 PM
Rockin Robbins would be my pick for most helpful. Made the switch to manual targeting from his entertaining :woot: tutorials and never looked back!

Lot of folks have learned much about every aspect of the fleet boat war in the Pacific from him. Plus he's crazy.. :88)

Ducimus and Lurker for their outstanding and continuing modding work on TMO supermod and RSRDC campaign.
:up:

concur for a shared Ducimus-Lurkerīs best year mod combo,

also for funniest mods:

Rockin Robbins torpedo and gun corporation, (NYSE: RR-BOOM) with filler made by my brotherīs hot sauce, who needs torpex when they can use XUXA, the hottest of the hot sauces

Snestorm
11-20-09, 04:51 PM
Best Poster Of The Year = Hitman.
Loads of useful information.

Ducimus
11-20-09, 06:48 PM
Nope, all nominations for me are null and void. This is a popularity contest, and im the opposite of popular. :O:

On a serious note, id nominate skwasjer (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=230811). For both Mod, and Modder of the year.

Why?

Because without S3D (http://sh4.skwas.net/), much of this (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132330), this (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125529), this (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151796), and maybe even some of this (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134922), would not exist; and we'd all be in the stone ages writing tweak files for TT's tweaker. Although i'm not sure he'd want the award. This post is however, my way of formally acknowledging the great things he's done in the SH4 modding scene, and without his work, much of mine would never have come to be.

THE_MASK
11-20-09, 10:48 PM
I vote for skwasjer for modder OTY .

Aramike
11-21-09, 12:04 AM
Nope, all nominations for me are null and void. This is a popularity contest, and im the opposite of popular. :O::haha:

I should clarify, this is not a popularity contest. We have as diverse of a committee as possible to make sure its more about merit than individual popularity.

In any case, so far in the committee rooms DaveyJS is doing pretty well, what nominations for Thread of the Year and Funniest Post of the Year.

I'll post a more complete list of nominees soon!

Snestorm
11-21-09, 12:56 AM
Moderator OTY = WEBSTER.
He's always got you covered.

I'm goin' down
11-21-09, 01:17 AM
How can I evaluate skwasjer? What he develoved is so advanced, it is out of my league. I understand little, so maybe I should not vote. How about if we nominate Neal to give $10,000 to each of the 50 best modders? (From his own funds.)

Oneshot/Onekill
11-21-09, 01:33 AM
I would have to nominate Sailor steve, for SubSim Commander OTY award.

Also for all the time and hard work he put into the uploads section of this forum, (although i don't really know what catagory that would fall into.)

RDP gets my vote for Moderator OTY.:up:

Highbury
11-21-09, 02:44 AM
I think skwasjer needs his own category for Utilities or something.

As for Modder I would have to say lurker. He puts alot of work into OM and mostly by himself. And he always gives service with a smile :D

Sailor Steve
11-21-09, 05:21 PM
I would have to nominate Sailor steve, for SubSim Commander OTY award.
I appreciate the thought, but I would have to be disqualified on the simple basis that I was already awarded something similar back in 2006 (which I think was the last time we had a SubSim Awards Contest).

Got a cool prize, too!:sunny:

Elder-Pirate
11-21-09, 05:38 PM
I appreciate the thought, but I would have to be disqualified on the simple basis that I was already awarded something similar back in 2006 (which I think was the last time we had a SubSim Awards Contest).

Got a cool prize, too!:sunny:

SO?
Sometimes I just think you are bashful Sailor Steve. :haha:

I think that you would be a fine candidate for "SubSim Commander of The Year" :yeah:

Tomi_099
11-24-09, 06:08 PM
SKWASJER !!!:up::up::up::up:

Aramike
11-24-09, 07:06 PM
Sorry folks, I've been planning on posting the candidates for each category but have been run down with the flu. Will be up for sure by Thanksgiving morning!

nikimcbee
11-24-09, 07:17 PM
For the commander of the year:

Anybody/everbody in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044LS0hnh14

If you worked at or on the subsim clubhouse:salute:. Chad, Mookie, James, Onkel.:yeah:

I'm goin' down
11-24-09, 09:41 PM
You have a lot of nerve. How can the Turkeys watch on Thanksgiving? They will be at dinner.

Rothwell white
11-25-09, 03:17 AM
Most Helpful Member

Jimbuna gets my vote

Uber Gruber
11-25-09, 06:26 AM
Best Poster OTY = Tomi
Best Midshipman Poster OTY = No idea what this means
Best Thread OTY = Wolfpacks for SH5
Best Post OTY = No idea
Funniest Post OTY = No idea
Mod OTY = WAC 4.1
Modder OTY = HansSolo and team
Most Helpful Member OTY = Jimbuna
Moderator OTY = Hitman
Subsim Commander Award (Member who best embodies Subsim and its culture) = Rockin Robbins

Dowly
11-25-09, 08:47 AM
My nomination for funniest post(s) of the year is Antikristuseke. :salute:

Letum
11-25-09, 09:21 AM
I nominate myself and this post for all categories.

tonschk
11-25-09, 09:53 AM
Moderator = Webster
Modder OTY = Tomi 099, Skwasjer,W_Clear
Most Helpful Member OTY = Jimbuna

kiwi_2005
11-25-09, 12:12 PM
I nominate myself and this post for all categories.
:haha:

Best Poster OTY = Rockin Robbins I post rarely in Sh4 threads thats because im to busy reading Robbins posts.

Moderator = NeonSamurai

Modder OTY = Ducimus/lurker

Most Helpful Member OTY = Jimbuna for SH3 threads, Rockin Robbins for SH4

Subsim Commander Award (Member who best embodies Subsim and its culture) = Rockin Robbins

Aramike
11-25-09, 01:08 PM
:haha:

Best Poster OTY = Rockin Robbins I post rarely in Sh4 threads thats because im to busy reading Robbins posts.

Moderator = NeonSamurai

Modder OTY = Ducimus/lurker

Most Helpful Member OTY = Jimbuna for SH3 threads, Rockin Robbins for SH4

Subsim Commander Award (Member who best embodies Subsim and its culture) = Rockin RobbinsPoor Rockin Robbins ... on the selection committee and therefore unable to win awards. :O:

peabody
11-26-09, 01:51 AM
Skwasjer !!! Definately.

Aramike
11-26-09, 02:50 AM
My nomination for funniest post(s) of the year is Antikristuseke. :salute:Sweet. Link us up to some material, though!

Aramike
11-26-09, 03:09 AM
Okay, tell me if I've missed something, but so far the nominations are:

Best Post OTY:
None

Best Poster OTY:
Sailor Steve
EAST
Hitman
Tomi99

Midshipman OTY:
DigitalAura
Sevrin

Best Thread OTY:
DaveyJ576's Real Submarine Technology & History Q&A (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147577)

Mod OTY:
AoB Mod by Nicolas and ddgrn
TMO by Ducimus
WAC 4.1

Modder OTY:
Hitman
skwasjer
HansSolo
Karamazovnew

Most Helpful Member OTY:
DivingDuck
Carotio
Peabody
WEBSTER
Jimbuna

Moderator OTY:
WEBSTER
Hitman
NeonSamurai

Signature OTY and Commander OTY nominations coming soon...

Please, Please, PLEASE, if I've missed something, point it out! And please keep the nominations coming!

I'm goin' down
11-26-09, 03:16 AM
Not to disparage the work of the major modders or the work of others (Mobo is an example from awhile ago that comes to mind), minor mods ought to be carefully considered. I state their case.

In July an innocuous post appeared authored by Nicolas, from Guatemala, announcing a fix to the ATD (Attack Tools Dial per CapnScury's High Realism Tutorial) that permits manual rotation of the AoB dial with the PK turned off. This adjustment has commensurate effect on the movement of the Target Ship on the TBT dial. This fix permits the upper dial on the TBT to be adjusted to match the Target's course relative to the Submarine's. It aids captains in verifying if their attack set up is correct.

Immediately thereafter, ddgrn, from Canada, with Nicolas' permission, joined the thread and modified the fix to include range/aspect ratio and speed, and incorporated all of the above into a mod known as the Easy Aob. The upshot was a mod that enabled accurate torpedo shots at comparatively long range and variety of angles.

Word of the thread spread quickly, and it had thousands of hits in the first few months when it became clear that a major breakthrough had occurred in manual targeting as a result of their combined work. The mod can be incorporated to the stock game, RFB, FOTRS, and TMO via JSGME.

A few months later, gutted, from New York (I believe), introduced a stand alone program entitled the Solution Solver. This program incorporates CapnScury's Calculator, as defined in his High Realism Tutorial, into a workable Calculator as described therein. It sits on the desktop, and is accessible when the game is paused. Gutted explains its operation in a three part video tutorial in a real time attack scenario which is part of the program download. It is simple to use the program in a game setting, as once the program is opened, a captain can pause the game and toggle between the game and the program in seconds. Modifications to the course of either the target ship or the submarine is simple. One of the benefits of the program is that you can use a pop up tool and see the effect of a course change on your desk top and gain an understanding of how the change affects Aob while the target moves along its course.

Both of these mods represent a major advancement/technological breakthrough in manual targeting. They are state of the art. Their creators had to have a complete and thorough understanding of concepts underlying manual targeting and the TDC to tackle their respective projects. They are our rocket scientists in a manner of speaking.

Some modders work on eye candy, some work on special effects, etc. The Easy Aob mod and Solution Solver are aimed at sinking ships, which for many Subsimmers is a key purpose in playing the game, and in real life is obviously the purpose of the Submarine force during war time.

Don't get me wrong, the major mods, especially the recent works of ducimus and skwasjer (spell?), the later which is beyond my capabilities, are incredible pieces of work. But some of the smaller mods have a great impact on the game, and if one from that group does not take home the prize, the Committee should consider according them recognition of some sort, such as an Honorable mention, a six pack, and a promotion.

Rothwell white
11-26-09, 03:48 AM
My nomination for funniest post(s) of the year is Antikristuseke. :salute:
Any links for this

Dowly
11-26-09, 11:15 AM
No, go thru his posting history. There's quite a few to list, that's why I didnt provide links.

I'm goin' down
11-26-09, 01:00 PM
see post no. 49. I nominated gutted for his fantastic "Solution Solver" program as well as Nicolas and ddrgn. Those guys are ship killers, pure and simple.

I'm goin' down
11-27-09, 02:11 PM
As the committee has no doubt taken note, I have nominated three mods/programs. Easy Aob, Solution Solver, and TMO 1.9.

I made my case for Easy Aob and Solution Solver in a previous post.

Here is a case for TMO 1.9, although I confess that others are probably more qualified to present it. They are welcome to do so.

I am a player and not a modder, so it is from this perspective I comment. This mod brings together many other advanced mods. Ducimus, and I understand Lurker, were the driving forces. It updates many facets of the game and has what I describe as many "cool" additions/functions such as the deep dive and crash dive functions. For example, submarine layouts are different and allegedly more historically accurate, and submarine speeds are adjusted for various boats, also for historical accuracy. In a crash dive scenario the boat angles downward steeply during the course off the dive. The crew is changed and specialized crew are available in certain cases. The upshot of these, and the many other changes, is it finally feels like someone got the game "right" from a historical and "game play" perspective. The TMO thread shows that Ducimus is responsive to captain's requests that maintain the historical accuracy he apparently strived to achieve, and it is evident from the constantly updated list of game fixes announced in the 1.9 thread. Unlike single mod fixes, the upgrade to 1.9 can be compared to training Michaelangelo about WW2 submarine warfare and computer technology, and letting him loose to bring the game to life.

I would describe TMO 1.9 as nothing less than a Tour de Force. Ducimus' comment about not wanting any part of a popularity contest should be disregarded. There are worthy competitors for this award. Whoever wins will have earned it if the committee follows their guidelines.

I once saw a picture of a young Thomas Edison sitting next to a small table with his arm around the world's first phonograph. He looked as if he had not slept for a week. It reminds me of Ducimus, and the old saying that genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. He has given us a newly constructed phonograph. We get to play it.

Aramike
11-28-09, 02:57 AM
Why do we need all of this ? Where the snake lies ? IMHO the reason of such celebrities has a hidden meaning. Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee :) Does this award show is pointing the way to perfectionalism or something ? Or describing how should a perfect member be like ? If this is a road sign to perfectionalism at subsim.com and let's say everybody starts struggling for a peace of empty honour over the internet and what then ? :) The winners of this show should be held better than the rest of us ? :) Well if you ask me I don't think the result of this awards is going to strengthen the unity of this communitee, has anyone though of reversed effects ? :)I like sharing my point of view and it's not trolling like someone might see it :)In my opinion, saying "Good job, thanks for your contributions and continued support" and recognizing those people who go just a little bit further than the rest of us should not in any way diminish the community - it can only bring it together.

This isn't about "losing" ... it's about recognizing the people who've gone above and beyond in support of this great community. How anyone can take exception to that is beyond me...

Think of the military - awarding people with medals recognizing their achievements isn't an affront to the honorable individuals who don't recieve them. The purpose of this is to recognize the people who've worked just a little bit harder to make our games more enjoyable, spent a little bit longer answering our questions, welcoming our peers, and making us think/laugh.

Like I said, I don't see how ANYONE can see that as a bad thing.

Aramike
11-28-09, 03:16 AM
So this is it.. in simple words you're building steps from low to high and now you wish we should decide who and on which step to place. I don't realy think it is right to do :) Dividing users or moders into good and better is not that thing any of us would wish to see. :) maybe of course sick self-lovers wishing the audience to applause them :) Normal people don't need this show, because they know their talent, they know their best spots and their weak spots. Without wishing somebody else to point them out. I guess it's all about being tactfull.We'll have to agree to disagree. All I know is that many people enjoy being recognized for the work they've done and the things that they've accomplished, even though they may seek no such thing. If you don't agree with that, perhaps it would be best to simply stand aside rather than diminish that recognition merely because you don't believe that they should get it??? :hmmm:

Aramike
11-28-09, 03:25 AM
No, go thru his posting history. There's quite a few to list, that's why I didnt provide links.Yeah, but we need ideas for THE funniest. Any links for that?

Aramike
11-28-09, 03:27 AM
As the committee has no doubt taken note, I have nominated three mods/programs. Easy Aob, Solution Solver, and TMO 1.9.

I made my case for Easy Aob and Solution Solver in a previous post.

Here is a case for TMO 1.9, although I confess that others are probably more qualified to present it. They are welcome to do so.

I am a player and not a modder, so it is from this perspective I comment. This mod brings together many other advanced mods. Ducimus, and I understand Lurker, were the driving forces. It updates many facets of the game and has what I describe as many "cool" additions/functions such as the deep dive and crash dive functions. For example, submarine layouts are different and allegedly more historically accurate, and submarine speeds are adjusted for various boats, also for historical accuracy. In a crash dive scenario the boat angles downward steeply during the course off the dive. The crew is changed and specialized crew are available in certain cases. The upshot of these, and the many other changes, is it finally feels like someone got the game "right" from a historical and "game play" perspective. The TMO thread shows that Ducimus is responsive to captain's requests that maintain the historical accuracy he apparently strived tried to achieve, and it is evident from the constantly updated list of game fixes announced in the 1.9 thread. Unlike single mod fixes, the upgrade to 1.9 can be compared to training Michaelangelo about WW2 submarine warfare and computer technology, and letting him loose to bring the game to life.

I would describe TMO 1.9 as nothing less than a Tour de Force. Ducimus' comment about not wanting any part of a popularity contest should be disregarded. There are worthy competitors for this award. Whoever wins will have earned it if the committee follows their guidelines.

I once saw a picture of a young Thomas Edison sitting next to a small table with his arm around the world's first phonograph. He looked as if he had not slept for a week. It reminds me of Ducimus, and the old saying that genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. He has given us a newly constructed phonograph. We get to play it.Excellent food for thought. Mods are the hottest topic regarding these awards, so trust me - your perspective is duly noted and taken under advisement. :rock:

I'm goin' down
11-28-09, 03:51 AM
Why do we need all of this ? Where the snake lies ? IMHO the reason of such celebrities has a hidden meaning. Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee :) Does this award show is pointing the way to perfectionalism or something ? Or describing how should a perfect member be like ? If this is a road sign to perfectionalism at subsim.com and let's say everybody starts struggling for a peace of empty honour over the internet and what then ? :) The winners of this show should be held better than the rest of us ? :) Well if you ask me I don't think the result of this awards is going to strengthen the unity of this communitee, has anyone though of reversed effects ? :)I like sharing my point of view and it's not trolling like someone might see it :)

"Why do we need all of this?" I can understand that sentence.

What are you trying to say in the next sentence about the snake? That sentence must be a metaphor but it has a meaning beyond my comprehension.

"Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee." Again, I do not understand the meaning. Monolithic is adjective. I think you have used it as a noun. If used is an adjective, you probably intended it describe the word "We." If so, then I think you are questioning whether declaring a candidate the "best" reflects a somewhat rigid, inflexible uniformity by the committee [i.e. 3 a : constituting a massive undifferentiated and often rigid whole <a monolithic society> b : exhibiting or characterized by often rigidly fixed uniformity <monolithic party unity.]

I think the answer to your analysis is not overly complicated. The lead participants at the web site want to honor one or more persons who contribute to a dynamic forum. Merely being nominated is an honor. For example, the funniest post OTY sends a message that not only is the author funny, but his humor contributes to the site in a intangible but very real way.

Another point I wish to make is that raising your objection in the very thread where nominations are made is inappropriate in my opinion. It should be done in a separate thread which you could have started for that purpose. Your post questions and detracts from the nominations, and is a direct challenge after the fact to the decision to have the process go forward in the first instance - a decision which has already been made. You have interfered with it, and you could have avoided that by raising objections and questions in a separate thread. I suggest that Padvotke's post and related posts be transferred to a separate thread for that purpose.

I'm goin' down
11-28-09, 04:31 AM
My candidate for funniest post of the year is Pacific Ace. Read this thread and see post no. 10. I bolded the language. To give you context, Captain MattJ had rubbed some members the wrong way with various ill thought posts (and that is putting it mildly!). At around the same timeframe, the famous Rockin Robbins posted his classic mission wherein he surfaced at night, fired blindly, and sunk an Essex class carrier -- in error. Here is the thread dealing with all of the above. I abbreviated the various posts by deleting pictures, smilies, etc. which have limitations re copying. Here you go. (post script: I think MattJ was lost on his next patrol and I have not seen nor heard from him since.)
09-17-2009, 09:54 PM #1 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174235&postcount=1) CaptainMattJ. (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=248775)
Gunner
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

My fellow Captains.....
My fellow Americans uhh i mean Captains, i have not been entirely good with you. I did post an annoying thread, and i am sorry. i have walked off the plank of annoyingness, but ready to get back on board the USS Subsim radio room forums. i had a little drink about an hour ago and it went straight to my head. I am a reformed captain, and i will act accordingly. Clear the bridge, Bog the hatches, set planes to dive, All men to battle stations, and hold on, this is about to get ugly..........
09-17-2009, 10:04 PM #2 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174240&postcount=2) ETR3(SS) (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=237956)
Good to hear.
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM #3 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174252&postcount=3) Rockin Robbins (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=230011)
Forward torpedoes armed and ready sir!:up:
09-17-2009, 11:57 PM #4 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174286&postcount=4) I'm goin' down (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=242594)
darn.
I like him better before. Nothing good lasts.
p.s. You might want to talk to Rockn Robbins about attack techniques. Someone started a subsim rumor (those are the worst) awhile ago that he had some ideas on the subject. (I, of course, am a superlative captain and ignored his advice.)
09-18-2009, 12:28 AM #5 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174300&postcount=5) WEBSTER (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=229883)
i thank you and applaud you for wanting to start over
looking at not only what you say but also the way you are saying it, can prevent many missunderstandings. sarcastic humor to some could be percieved as rude and insulting to others.
i think members were put off by your frequent posts (85 posts in just 4 weeks is a lot) without giving you the benefit of the doubt that you might just be a new member who is very exited and enthusiastic about the game and i will assume that thats all it was.
new members will start off posting frequently sometimes and then they quickly slow down and only post when they really have something to say.
in your case i think members felt (right or wrong) that you werent showing any signs that you were slowing down so they labeled you as a troll for frequent posting without purpose.
posting an attack post directed at another member is NOT the way to deal with the situation and you should know that that never solves anything and will only make things worse and get "you" into trouble for doing it.
i will assume you are a younger member who is used to the way other game forums are and how people act there so with this in mind i will make this next comment.
many game forums have a large amount of younger members and abusive language and seeing people with attitudes and making rude comments towards others are usually the norm at those sites but here at subsim this is a completely different type of forum for adults to have adult conversations and discussions so rudeness is not normal here and is very much discuraged.
please keep in mind that most members here are mature adults so they ask for and expect a certain amount of respect in conversations and if there are any personal dissagreements they are usually talked out in private PM's and not on the public forum.
if we dont agree with someones comments then we discuss it and if it cant be resolved then in most cases we agree to dissagree and let it go so the modderators do not have to get involved in it.
09-18-2009, 12:39 AM #6 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174303&postcount=6) I'm goin' down (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=242594)
Investigation
Subsim naval intelligence paid me a visit inquiring if Mattj was a foreign agent trying to impede the War in the Pacific on behalf of the Axis. I told them I was under order to refer matters to headquarters, so they will probably interview Neal next.
09-18-2009, 04:57 AM #7 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174363&postcount=7) reallydedpoet (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=226550)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/viewpost.gif (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1174300#post1174300)

i thank you and applaud you for wanting to start over
looking at not only what you say but also the way you are saying it, can prevent many missunderstandings. sarcastic humor to some could be percieved as rude and insulting to others.
i think members were put off by your frequent posts (85 posts in just 4 weeks is a lot) without giving you the benefit of the doubt that you might just be a new member who is very exited and enthusiastic about the game and i will assume that thats all it was.
new members will start off posting frequently sometimes and then they quickly slow down and only post when they really have something to say.
in your case i think members felt (right or wrong) that you werent showing any signs that you were slowing down so they labeled you as a troll for frequent posting without purpose.
posting an attack post directed at another member is NOT the way to deal with the situation and you should know that that never solves anything and will only make things worse and get "you" into trouble for doing it.
i will assume you are a younger member who is used to the way other game forums are and how people act there so with this in mind i will make this next comment.
many game forums have a large amount of younger members and abusive language and seeing people with attitudes and making rude comments towards others are usually the norm at those sites but here at subsim this is a completely different type of forum for adults to have adult conversations and discussions so rudeness is not normal here and is very much discuraged.
please keep in mind that most members here are mature adults so they ask for and expect a certain amount of respect in conversations and if there are any personal dissagreements they are usually talked out in private PM's and not on the public forum.
if we dont agree with someones comments then we discuss it and if it cant be resolved then in most cases we agree to dissagree and let it go so the modderators do not have to get involved in it.

Nicely said
09-18-2009, 05:06 AM #8 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174369&postcount=8) SteamWake (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=215050)
Personally I'm gonna hold my breath
09-18-2009, 07:08 AM #9 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174435&postcount=9) RedMenace (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=227722)
Er, I know I'm going to come off as a massive troll right now, but uh, CaptainMattJ. never really came off to me as a troll. <_<
I mean, show me a single thread of his that wasn't, at the very least, made in good humour and/or spirits, because, while I've seen threads that may have come off as a tad immature, he's hardly a "troll."
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/post_old.gif 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM #10 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174756&postcount=10) Pacific_Ace (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=248990)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/smartdark/viewpost.gif (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1174286#post1174286)
p.s. You might want to talk to Rockn Robbins about attack techniques. Someone started a subsim rumor (those are the worst) awhile ago that he had some ideas on the subject.

RR has developed a new radar based attack for those dark and stormy nights. I've heard its particularly effective against Essex class carriers. :haha:
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM #11 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1174771&postcount=11) I'm goin' down (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=242594)
Pacific Ace
Nimitz is still laughing his ass off, in one of the greatest broadside posts in Subsim History. Perfect Timing. Hope wants you to join the USO. Give the man tickets to the museum.:har::har::har:(somebody help me. I have fallen down and cannot get up!):har::har::haha::haha::har:

geetrue
11-28-09, 06:26 PM
I think the funnest post was, "I remember when this was just all fields around here"

on the earlist member thread ...

or the 2008 election thread someone said,

"What difference does it make" "No matter which side wins we are all screwed anyway"

Jimbuna for best person to make a patrol with :yeah:

Oneshot/Onekill
11-28-09, 11:55 PM
Posted by Aramike:&quot;Think of the military - awarding people with medals recognizing their achievements isn't an affront to the honorable individuals who don't recieve them. The purpose of this is to recognize the people who've worked just a little bit harder to make our games more enjoyable, spent a little bit longer answering our questions, welcoming our peers, and making us think/laugh.&quot;This could be an approach.. But make sure you have enough medals then :)Your opinion has been noted. You made your point, now move on.
You obviously never spent time in the service, you have no idea behind the reasoning for individual achievement. In fact people that served, myself included did not look for recognition, we did or jobs, but if and when such recognition was bestowed, we took it as an accomplishment for ourselves and our comrades because we were all a band of brother's

Not to mention, in the military there are alot of UNIT citations and medals that can and are awarded for specific unit involvments in certain missions, ect. These awards are given to every person in the unit.

There are also medals for good conduct. (Staying out of trouble and following the rules and regulations of the military for a specific amount of yrs)

Do you really think that a Silver Star or MOH winner is looking for glory. No it's quite the opposite my friend. They are simply doing whatever is necessary to accomplish the mission and bring their buddies home in one piece.

Oneshot/Onekill
11-28-09, 11:57 PM
Whew!

Now that I got that off my chest.....I nominated Really Ded Poet for Moderator. I don't think you have him mentioned from the above post.

I also second the nomination for jimbuna for Most helpful member.:salute:

Carotio
11-29-09, 02:49 PM
If you haven't seen enough in the threads (hard to believe), check out his site carotio.dk.

Thank you, but it's the wrong link you give, read my signature for the correct one... :03:

Anyway, I would like to stress out that it's not good sportmanship to propose a post of my own, so it will only count if someone else will concur about it. Also I don't really know what category it should be in, or if a new category is in order like: Best Celebration Post OTY
Celebration: post count 999 on the date 9-9-9, YIHAAAAA
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155994

I will post a complete list of my candidates for the other categories later, but I think Skwasjer will be one of them... :D

Kapitan Soniboy
11-29-09, 05:47 PM
Most helpfull: Rockin Robbins

Gotta say that the "sonar only" attack method is great! And his other tutorials aswell. And his knowledge about WWII fleet boats is incredible.

Sailor Steve
11-29-09, 06:05 PM
I also second the nomination for jimbuna for Most helpful member.:salute:
Third.:sunny:

I'm goin' down
11-29-09, 06:20 PM
some of the players nominated are SH3 gamers, plus WAC 4.1 supermod is designed for SH3. I am a SH4 player and have no knowledge re those nominations, not that I am supposed to. However, I did look at some screenshots for WAC 4.1 and the graphics are amazing. I am trying to find a video of the mod because it looks very interesting. (Can comarable graphics be done in SH4?). I assume the powers that be have figured out how to deal with that issue.

p.s. in an unrelated matter, if you want to laugh your ass off, rent and watch Rat Race. A young actor named Vince Vieluf is hilarious (he is the one with the pierced tongue.)

Takeda Shingen
11-29-09, 06:28 PM
With regard to recognition and consternation, I have often wondered why one cannot seem to compliment someone without another taking offense. Humanity is certainly peculiar.

kaptkirkU4467
11-30-09, 07:48 PM
....Sailor Steve for most helpfull.

geetrue
12-01-09, 12:52 AM
With regard to recognition and consternation, I have often wondered why one cannot seem to compliment someone without another taking offense. Humanity is certainly peculiar.

Sounds like something Spock would say on Star Trek :D

Snestorm
12-01-09, 09:41 PM

Web site address correction.:

http://carotio.awardspace.com

Sorry for the goof.

Snestorm
12-01-09, 11:35 PM
Subsim Commander Award:

J I M B U N A !

floundericiousWA
12-02-09, 11:44 AM

Don't you mean run silent, run deep? :DL

gutted
12-03-09, 04:25 PM
A few months later, gutted, from New York (I believe),

Did you just call me a northerner? I take offense to that!! LOL j/k.

I'm actually from New Orleans.

most helpful person:
Rockin' Robbins

Some years ago (2005, 2006? i forget), me & RR (and a few other peeps) were having some targeting discussions in some thread.. and from the info we collectively deduced, he just went on a helping spree. Videos, tutorials, and jumping in every thread about targeting he could and helping out.

Though at times, i think he hemmed himself into a strict way of thinking (even giving names to attack profiles), and instead should have looked at it in a more general way.. he definately helped alot of people remove their training wheels. But i guess my brain is wired diferently. I'd rather know and understand the theory and mechanics behind it, than memorize some 10 step recipe.

His effort is definately worth noting though.

Pacific_Ace
12-04-09, 10:35 AM
Well it was certainly a shock to be perusing this thread and see myself mentioned for funnest post. I'm glad to have made someones day like that! I thank I'm Goin' Down for having thought of me. :yeah:

It is (to me) hard to make a choice in the 'most helpful' category.
RR and Jimbuna are certainly standouts and have served this community very well and also in other forums. If there is a category for most politically incorrect humorist that award goes to Jimbuna, although you have to go to BtS to see it in action as 75% of his posts there leave me :har::har::har: and going 'Oh my GOD I cannot believe he posted that!'

Jimbuna
12-04-09, 11:56 AM
I'll come up with my list in a day or two....just point me to the ballot box :DL

http://dingo.care2.com/photos/4/4624a.gif

TarJak
12-04-09, 03:43 PM
I'll come up with my list in a day or two....just point me to the ballot box :DL

Its underneath Gordon Brown's chair. Steed put it there.:D

Aramike
12-04-09, 04:35 PM
Acceptance of nominations will close on Sunday!

I'm goin' down
12-04-09, 07:43 PM
How in the hell do you accept a nomination?:hmmm:

How about this? "Nominations close on Sunday."

Aramike
12-04-09, 10:52 PM
How in the hell do you accept a nomination?:hmmm:

How about this? "Nominations close on Sunday."Huh? Does both phrases not mean the same thing?

I'm goin' down
12-05-09, 12:13 AM
If that is what you meant, then they mean the same thing. I thought you were giving nominees the opton to opt out and decline their nominations.:|\\

Sailor Steve
12-05-09, 01:50 PM
Yep, "acceptance" usually comes from a proposed candidate: "I accept the nomination", or, as Lyndon Baines Johnson famously said, "If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

Aramike
12-05-09, 04:09 PM
I was thinking along the lines of "entries after 12/6 will not be accepted for consideration", which is almost verbatim the language used for the legalize on certain lottery tickets. :cool:

Snestorm
12-05-09, 11:36 PM
Yep, "acceptance" usually comes from a proposed candidate: "I accept the nomination", or, as Lyndon Baines Johnson famously said, "If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

That was William T. Sherman that said that.
Unfortunately, you got stuck with LBJ. (Worste US President, IMO).
You probably served him, rather than he serve you.

Aramike
12-07-09, 08:50 AM
Okay, nominations are closed! Thanks for all of your input here and via PM! We all appreciate it.

Alex
12-07-09, 11:58 AM
Too late... :(
Well, too bad.
My vote won't count, but still, I'd like to mention the one for whom I'd have appreciated to vote. :|\\

DivingDuck, for being a righteous modder constantly in quest for improvements to bring in what became sort of "his" mod, re the OH mod. :yeah:
Ah, and for being a great friend too. :arrgh!:

:rock:

Sailor Steve
12-07-09, 03:19 PM
That was William T. Sherman that said that.
You're absolutely right. Once again, someone who allegedly know everything betrays his ignorance.:oops::rotfl2:

Of course Bobby Kennedy's famous statement "Some men see things as they are and ask 'Why?' I dream things that never were and ask 'Why not?'" was actually 'borrowed' from George Bernard Shaw.

And now I'm reminded of the great lines from Fiddler On The Roof:

Tevye: As Abraham said, "I am a stranger in a strange land... ”
Mendel: Moses said that.
Tevye: Ah. Well, as King David said, "I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue."
Mendel: That was also Moses.
Tevye: For a man who was slow of tongue, he talked a lot.

Elder-Pirate
12-07-09, 03:38 PM
You're absolutely right. Once again, someone who allegedly know everything betrays his ignorance.:oops::rotfl2:

Of course Bobby Kennedy's famous statement "Some men see things as they are and ask 'Why?' I dream things that never were and ask 'Why not?'" was actually 'borrowed' from George Bernard Shaw.

And now I'm reminded of the great lines from Fiddler On The Roof:

Tevye: As Abraham said, "I am a stranger in a strange land... ”
Mendel: Moses said that.
Tevye: Ah. Well, as King David said, "I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue."
Mendel: That was also Moses.
Tevye: For a man who was slow of tongue, he talked a lot.

Watch out, Steve's on a roll again. :D

karamazovnew
12-08-09, 12:05 AM
Watch out, Steve's on a roll again. :D

Tevie: As the Good Book says, "when a poor man eats a chicken, one of them is sick."

Love the movie.

Takeda Shingen
12-08-09, 08:14 AM
Perchik: Money is the world's curse.
Tevye: May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover.

Sailor Steve
12-08-09, 03:03 PM
My favorite bit?

Perchik makes a good argument for Communism.

Tevye: You're right!

The Rabbi's son denounces Perchik, and makes a good argument against Communism.

Tevye: You're right too!

Lazar Wolf: Tevye, Tevye, Tevye! He's right, he's right - how can they both be right?

Tevye: You know what? You're right too!

The basis of my whole philosopy of life.:sunny:

Castout
12-10-09, 03:25 AM
Best modder: DivingDuck

Most helpful member of the year: AVGWarhawk

Subsim Commander: Sailor Steve. I know he already won the award once. I don't give a damn :rotfl2:. Him or none.

I'm goin' down
12-10-09, 03:31 AM
Okay, nominations are closed! Thanks for all of your input here and via PM! We all appreciate it.

It was posted on 12-07-2009.

Castout
12-11-09, 01:11 AM
hmm damn it:damn:

karamazovnew
12-13-09, 09:14 AM
hmm damn it:damn:

How long does it take to get to a decision?! C'mon fellas, these aren't the Romanian Presidential Ellections! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_presidential_election,_2009

Carotio
12-13-09, 11:43 AM
Best Poster OTY = Robbin Rockins
Best Midshipman Poster OTY = ?
Best Thread OTY = ?
Best Post OTY = ?
Funniest Post OTY = ?
Mod OTY = RSRDC
Modder OTY = skwasjer
Most Helpful Member OTY = ?
Moderator OTY = AVGwarhawk (retired? well he used to be in 2009)
Subsim Commander Award (Member who best embodies Subsim and its culture) = Neal Stevens (who else? :D)

Unless it's too late? The front post ain't edited to mention that nominations are over...
Otherwise, just forget it...

Elder-Pirate
12-13-09, 04:04 PM
Best Poster OTY = Robbin Rockins
Best Midshipman Poster OTY = ?
Best Thread OTY = ?
Best Post OTY = ?
Funniest Post OTY = ?
Mod OTY = RSRDC
Modder OTY = skwasjer
Most Helpful Member OTY = ?
Moderator OTY = AVGwarhawk (retired? well he used to be in 2009)
Subsim Commander Award (Member who best embodies Subsim and its culture) = Neal Stevens (who else? :D)
Unless it's too late? The front post ain't edited to mention that nominations are over...
Otherwise, just forget it...

Read post #87 above this post.