PDA

View Full Version : Here is a question I bet you haven't thought of

GoldenRivet
09-26-09, 12:01 AM
If the captain is standing on the bridge, with a full watch crew or deck gun crew etc.

and a plane comes screaming down with machine guns blazing.

can the captain (you) be killed?

Webster
09-26-09, 12:59 AM
the way they described your interaction with things i would think yes because they indicated it was like the fps feeling

THE_MASK
09-26-09, 01:06 AM
end of game .

GoldenRivet
09-26-09, 01:08 AM
end of game .

exactly.

a new and unique way of ending a career.

in the past a bomb could fall right on the conning tower hatch and if you are standing right next to it, everyone is dead except you.

it would be an interesting element if you could possibly be killed by small arms fire, or any weapon being fired at the sub.

FIREWALL
09-26-09, 01:17 AM
Why is SHV starting to sound like a modern version in graphics of.... Silent Steel ?

Interact with crew, multiple scenarios, ect.... :06:

Let the arguments begin. :03:

JScones
09-26-09, 02:56 AM
end of game .
:up:

JU_88
09-26-09, 03:37 AM
It would also be quite impressive if when a crew member is KIA on the bridge he drops to the floor, or in bomb/rocket explosion - could even blown over board... Can you imagine what a direct bomb hit to the bridge would do the crew? - (the kind of thing that would earn the game and 18 certificate tbh) :o

Also it would not be fair to expect an anamiation for other crew member to carry an injerued man below deck... they could just be teleported (manually)

THE_MASK
09-26-09, 04:16 AM
Quote from ubi QandA "Will this be the same in SHV as in SHIV that the player can replace the sailor or officer of his job and do it himself? (Or are we restricted to giving them commands only?)

The player can jump in most of the key positions on the ship – firing guns, periscope, hydrophone, navigation map. More so, each of these stations is realistically modeled, and, combined with the FPS view, the immersion should be total. Additionally, we’re aiming to make the player work SIDE BY SIDE with his crew – be it on the periscope, when identifying a ship, or on the map, when looking for enemy convoys."

So does this mean that i can take over the roll of the sonarman and hope like hell the captain on deck doesnt get killed while i am on the hydrophones LOL .

KeptinCranky
09-26-09, 05:47 AM
exactly.

a new and unique way of ending a career.

in the past a bomb could fall right on the conning tower hatch and if you are standing right next to it, everyone is dead except you.

it would be an interesting element if you could possibly be killed by small arms fire, or any weapon being fired at the sub.

Hmmm, I think, even if the captain is KIA, the IWO or whoever's left would try and take the boat home... so maybe the career ends after the boat is a: sunk or b: returned to base...

I'll now adopt that as a house rule for sh3 & 4 if the entire deckwatch is killed when I'm up on deck too, end the career after that patrol. :wah:

good thinking GR :up:

Jimbuna
09-26-09, 08:56 AM
Great point GR :up:

I'm also wondering if there'll be a small percentage chance of a mutiny if morale hits rock bottom :hmmm::hmmm:

Dowly
09-26-09, 09:03 AM
As mentioned in the Q&A, if you are standing on the deck, the boat cant dive before you've gotten yourself to the bridge and down to the conning tower, so yes, I believe the kaleu can be killed. Or maybe it's possible to turn this on/off. :hmmm:

Schultz
09-26-09, 10:02 AM
Or another option , he can be wounded by the bullets, and took down to get medical asistance :)

geosub1978
09-26-09, 11:22 AM
Game ends...
In this case you should have had set your presence at the bridge.

kptn_kaiserhof
09-26-09, 01:17 PM
yeah interesting what about the kapitan falling overboard

Dowly
09-26-09, 02:02 PM
yeah interesting what about the kapitan falling overboard

A pretty farfetched if there isnt the ability to swim in the game (which I highly doubt but would be awesome feature for the tropical climate kaleuns), but as I said in the other thread, it would be nice to have a random element if you order the watchcrew to stay on the bridge in very heavy seas that you'd lost some or all of your men.

Sailor Steve
09-26-09, 04:17 PM
I've thought about it many times, and mentioned it more than once.

Hmmm, I think, even if the captain is KIA, the IWO or whoever's left would try and take the boat home... so maybe the career ends after the boat is a: sunk or b: returned to base...
I've also mentioned that one before. You get killed, and the game ends with a note that your 1WO got the boat home safely.

Der Teddy Bar
09-26-09, 07:34 PM
It would be very disappointing if you as the Captain could not die in the scenario described by GoldenRivet.

Imagine how much more reserved and realistic you would be if 'you' could die.

It would add to the excitement and tension when attacking on the surface and I know that almost everyone would not stay on the surface and duke it out with an aircraft because your game would end, bring it on!

THE_MASK
09-26-09, 09:27 PM
We must be allowed to die . So it is written , so let it be done .

GoldenRivet
09-26-09, 10:17 PM
in the end the devs can do whatever they want... as long as there is a "house of ill repute". :yeah:

Hitman
09-27-09, 02:53 AM
Hmmm and can the Kaleun be intoxicated and killed with the soup from the cook? :hmmm: Somehow this possibility seems to me even more dangerous than the risk of enemy fire, given what we have seen so far from "smutje" :o

Wild_skipper
09-27-09, 03:01 AM
Can you imagine what a direct bomb hit to the bridge would do the crew? - (the kind of thing that would earn the game and 18 certificate tbh) :o

I dont think the crew will be the only to be hurt, i mean a direct hit from a bomb on the bridge should do some heavy damadge to the boat.

Brag
09-27-09, 01:44 PM
Great point GR :up:

I'm also wondering if there'll be a small percentage chance of a mutiny if morale hits rock bottom :hmmm::hmmm:

Captain relieved of duties for incompetence. :D

haegemon
09-27-09, 02:48 PM
If Kaleun is killed the carrer is finished. But if it's injured?

Option A: I would bet for the second officer at command taking the command. And player can take the role of this officer till reaching port.

Option B: the second officer at command takes the command and sails to port in an IA form. While we only can operate as a sailor in the other stations.

Carotio
09-27-09, 05:26 PM
If Kaleun is killed the carrer is finished. But if it's injured?

If the captain dies on the bridge, and the game ends, would definitely be a welcome addition to realism. :yep:
If injured, well, then we better have a good medic on board. But how this could be implemented :06: Maybe a 50/50 chance of a having the career pronlonged, depending on how much injury and how good the medic is (regular, veteran or elite).

Good observation here. :yeah:

Snestorm
09-28-09, 01:09 AM
Maybe the guys that are constantly loosing flak gunners will be more likely to join us in an:
A L A R M ! ! ! Crash Dive !

Grothesj2
09-28-09, 01:10 AM
If the captain dies on the bridge, and the game ends, would definitely be a welcome addition to realism. :yep:
If injured, well, then we better have a good medic on board. But how this could be implemented :06: Maybe a 50/50 chance of a having the career pronlonged, depending on how much injury and how good the medic is (regular, veteran or elite).

Good observation here. :yeah:
Could also have it based on how long it takes for you to get back to port plus the medic skill and severity of injury. Maybe the captain will be out of service for a number of months while recovering.

Sailor Steve
09-28-09, 03:18 PM
Could also have it based on how long it takes for you to get back to port plus the medic skill and severity of injury. Maybe the captain will be out of service for a number of months while recovering.
Wouldn't that be something: You're severely wounded, the 1WO gets the boat back safely, you're expecting (hoping) to spend some time in the hospital and get back to action, only to find that your career is over because you lost a leg or arm?

Jimbuna
09-28-09, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't that be something: You're severely wounded, the 1WO gets the boat back safely, you're expecting (hoping) to spend some time in the hospital and get back to action, only to find that your career is over because you lost a leg or arm?

....and your forever known thereafter as 'Blue'.......blue/blue off during the war :dead:

Sorry, couldn't resist :DL

SteamWake
09-28-09, 04:10 PM
"You must gather your party before venturing forth !"

:rotfl2:

I'm sure someone out there will get that joke. :cool:

Argus00
09-28-09, 05:38 PM
:rotfl2: it took me a couple of hours to get what they wanted from me with that message, way back then... almost deleted Baldut's Gate :damn:

Edit; sorry, I meant Baldur's Gate.

martes86
09-29-09, 03:47 AM
It sounds a lot like The Lord of The Rings. Not sure though as I only saw one of the 3 parts in english.

Arclight
09-29-09, 04:28 AM
Nah, it's a recurring "theme" in Bioware games... bloody pathfinding AI. :shifty: