PDA

View Full Version : Stadimeter

Captain Birdseye
09-21-09, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,
Please bear in mind i've never got my head around manual targetting so what I may be saying could be way off.

I remember reading somewhere that the Kaleun had 2 or 3 (can't remember, sorry.) images of the ship in his periscope, when he lined the images up, and they all became one, the periscope would be giving the correct details to the WO for ship details.

As I say, these details are dodgy at best, hopefully some of you 'proper' kaleuns can shed some light :up:

However, my main question is, is this what we will see in SH5 (to the guys at the meet) or will we see the more traditional methods?

Thank you!

Webster
09-21-09, 08:17 PM
supposedly they redid everything but i would think it will "look" like the views you are used to

karamazovnew
09-22-09, 02:40 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=7qztw0sO2NgC&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=german+split+prism+stadimeter&source=bl&ots=_MpL9tzUnA&sig=XWVGb3oEzoSB10UiEGt0vOyxeHc&hl=en&ei=QH64SqycIJHFsgaYhNnCBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=german%20split%20prism%20stadimeter&f=false

IF you read carefully, there's even a mention about the speed lines that we'll get in SH5... you can do a lot with optics.

Frederf
09-22-09, 07:59 PM
What killed me in SH4 was that you could just set the stadimeter to an "X sized object" and use it indiscriminately. It was too rigid.