PDA

View Full Version : SHV 1X Patrol

GoldenRivet
09-20-09, 10:49 PM
I'm already thinking about it.

completing a 1X Patrol in SHV. I think with the multiple compartments and the inclusion of more crew it will be a much more tolerable experience than it was in SHIII.

Looking forward to it.

Anyone else here considering a real time 1x time compression patrol in SHV?

V.C. Sniper
09-20-09, 11:05 PM
i had this in my mind since my first 1x partrol in Silent Hunter 4

GoldenRivet
09-20-09, 11:10 PM
brave man.

Due to the freakish expanse of the Pacific Ocean i decided against such a task... as i did not want to spend the better part of a month or two playing SH4.

how did your patrol go?

V.C. Sniper
09-20-09, 11:45 PM
lulz i didn't even start the campaign yet

played all the single missions at 1x and 4 of teh "War Patrol" missions at 1x.

im on the last "War Patrol" mission where you have to sail into the Sea of Japan and sink merchies. im about 480nm from saipan to refuel after traveling 2000nm from midway. ~2600nm from my patrol area in sea of japan

nikimcbee
09-21-09, 12:49 AM
I'm already thinking about it.

completing a 1X Patrol in SHV. I think with the multiple compartments and the inclusion of more crew it will be a much more tolerable experience than it was in SHIII.

Looking forward to it.

Anyone else here considering a real time 1x time compression patrol in SHV?

Remember, if you do this, there are no women on board:03:, so to keep with the realism settings, no getting lucky with the spouse.:yeah: Plus, no showers and you must eat rabbitbread and sausage for the patrol length, or canned food only.:salute:

GoldenRivet
09-21-09, 01:55 AM
so to keep with the realism settings, no getting lucky with the spouse.

lol... seven years married.

shouldn't be a major lifestyle change there. :haha:

About the canned food... that i could probably handle.

actually, i would probably do like i did last time. just submerge to a safe depth when life called me to other places.

I had 2 weeks off last time though.

this time things might be different. probably take two weeks vacation :D

ETR3(SS)
09-21-09, 08:42 AM
There was a guy on the Michigan that did a SH2 1x patrol while on patrol! Now that's a sub-simer!:arrgh!:

SteamWake
09-21-09, 08:53 AM
Meh 90% of the time is spent eating, sleeping, mowing the lawn etc. while the computer runs the program.

A month or so just to reach the patrol area, nah no thanks.

GoldenRivet
09-21-09, 01:24 PM
Meh 90% of the time is spent eating, sleeping, mowing the lawn etc. while the computer runs the program.

my original 1x patrol deployed out of Brest, France.

total patrol time was about 2 weeks.

i bagged in the neighborhood of 50K tons so it was actually fairly action packed.

Sulikate
09-21-09, 02:18 PM

I couldn't agree more.

kstanb
09-21-09, 02:28 PM
I guess the only realistical way of doing it is with at least 3 people changing shifts every 8 hours; or better yet with maybe 6 people/ 4 hours shifts.
Real submarines never sleep, and it has to be depressing to wake up and see that your boat was sunk while sleeping, after after a 3 real time week patrol

GoldenRivet
09-21-09, 02:38 PM
that would be the most realistic way of doing it.

short of getting a bunch of hard core subsimmers in one place for 2 or 3 weeks its hard to do though.

the thing i like most about the 1x patrols...

1. You must exercise gobs of patience - rush things even for a minute and screw up an attack... you could spend 2 additional real time DAYS getting back into a favorable position, so the pressure is on you to make it happen right the first time and be patient.

2. the thrill of the hunt - When you are 5 days out of base and have not had a single contact report or sighting in FIVE WHOLE DAYS and suddenly a massive convoy report comes in about 100 miles away... i promise your heart will start pounding... because you know you have a chance now... and you know that the heat is on to not only intercept properly, but to attack properly for reason number 1.

3. no "accelerating" out of a dangerous position. you cant crank the compression up to 8x or 32x as you sneak out of a depth charge attack. nope... you have to endure every single agonizing second of the depth charges falling all around you. or every agonizing second of a crash dive while a plane is screaming down on you... at 1x compression with a late aircraft sighting - the boat feels like it takes 20 minutes to get uner!

Snestorm
09-23-09, 01:20 PM
I have to salute your dedication. There is no way I could ever do it, especialy with my addiction to the IXB. For me, not exceeding TCx64 ads alot. And I tend to do more realistic things that require comming off TC quite often. The thought of a TCx1 patrol is both fascinating and frightning (sp?). Your realy cranking up the realism. Salute.