PDA

View Full Version : Sign up here for a place in the van to Kiel: DEADLINE SEPT 6

Onkel Neal
08-24-09, 10:51 AM
Ok, if you are going on the trip from Copenhagen to Kiel, and back, post here. Only post if you are sure, because everyone here will need to honor the cost for their seat. If you post and do not attend, we still need you to pay your share. If you show up in Copenhagen and have not signed up for a seat, you will need to find your own way to Kiel.

We will determine how many people are going to need a seat, then pick a car/van and split the cost evenly. Deadline for this is Sept. 8. Make up your mind now.

I have three people, including myself.
Neal
Abe
Chad

and
Dan
Mike
maerean_m
Carotio
Markus

Who else is going to need a seat to Kiel on Weds Sept 16 from Copenhagen to Kiel and back?

Nine so far.

thanks
Neal

Carotio
08-24-09, 03:04 PM
I will join that ride :yeah:

elanaiba
08-24-09, 06:30 PM
elanaiba joins, what a surprise :)

Onkel Neal
08-24-09, 08:23 PM
Ok, that's 5 so far. A Ford Expedition should handle that nicely.
http://www.news-blogs.com/_images/auto/ford_expedition_2006.jpg

Chad
08-24-09, 09:20 PM
elanaiba joins, what a surprise :)

No seafood this time Dan :har:

(Dan rode with my dad, FAdmiral, and I in the Texas meet and ordered seafood at the restuarant and had a bit of a stomachache shortly there after hehe.)

FIREWALL
08-24-09, 09:33 PM
Ok, that's 5 so far. A Ford Expedition should handle that nicely.
http://www.news-blogs.com/_images/auto/ford_expedition_2006.jpgAnd then because of a mixup in reservations... All thats left is a Dacia 1300 or a Russian Shotcog. :rotfl::rotfl: :har: :rotfl::rotfl:

maerean_m
08-26-09, 09:25 AM
I'll be going too.

Even in the trunk of the Dacia 1300, if there's no room anywhere else :D

elanaiba
08-26-09, 09:40 AM
Also add Mike the Bike.

Onkel Neal
08-26-09, 01:39 PM
Thanks, list updated.

maerean_m
08-26-09, 02:07 PM
It seems there is a 400 km (250 mi) journey from Copenhagen to Kiel (http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnJ0cD1wb3MudDhjZmNzajFkcTFnX0NvcGVuaGFnZW4lMmMrR GVubWFya19fX2VfJTdlcG9zLnQxbWpmMGh2YjA3MV9LaWVsJTJ jK1NjaGxlc3dpZy1Ib2xzdGVpbiUyYytHZXJtYW55X19fZV8mc nRvcD0wJTdlMA==) that will take 3 and a half hours.
Are we going to Kiel and back on the same day (that's 800 km or 500 mi)?
It is a hell of a long journey (on unknown roads) and it would be very tiring.

Onkel Neal
08-26-09, 02:13 PM
That's the plan. We will leave as early as possible Weds morning. The biggest slow down is the ferry. I expect the trip to be long, probably 18 hours.

maerean_m
08-26-09, 02:18 PM
We (the passengers) could share the driver's seat to avoid fatigue, but I'm not sure if the driver's licenses are legal in Denmark.

Carotio
08-26-09, 03:37 PM
I won't mind doing the driving... And I have allready driven that route once before. The highway is fine during the day time but the southern part of the Danish highway is without light in the night, so one needs to pay attention.
I can do it, I just need to have some coke to drink... :03:

and for the road map...
@maerean_m
you chose the wrong route :03:
try look at my old posts here and here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1057722&postcount=25
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1058006&postcount=36

Onkel Neal
08-26-09, 08:04 PM
Yeah, and I can drive too. I drove back from Kansas City last week, was only 15 hours straight through the night. No big deal :shucks:

We will definitely rely on you Caratio, to know all the ferry times.

maerean_m
08-26-09, 10:59 PM
Carotio, the Bing Maps website chose that route because it thinks it's the fastest (400 km in 3h and ½). If I click on 'Shortest distance' (at the bottom), it chooses your route (264km in 5h and ½, because of the ferry).

But you being from Denmark, you know the situation better than some website :know:

Onkel Neal
08-26-09, 11:02 PM
I vote for the fastest (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=54.99673~10.951366&style=r&lvl=8&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&rtp=pos.55.6763095825464_12.5693553258839_Copenhag en%2C%20Denmark__~pos.54.3236520498267_10.13343779 16782_Kiel%2C%20Schleswig-Holstein%2C%20Germany__&rtop=0~0~0&encType=1) :D Make sure we rent a fast car.

We don't even need a ferry!

3.5 hours x 2? Piece of cake

Carotio
08-27-09, 04:24 AM
I don't really care if we choose the long, fast route or the short, slow route.
I'll just go along with what the majority thinks.

But yes, the ferry steals 2*1 hour, and some waiting time at the ferry can occur... So the long route may be the best option. Fine with me...

elanaiba
08-27-09, 05:11 AM
Can we go ... by submarine ?

McBeck
08-27-09, 05:28 AM
That will take days!

Seeadler
08-27-09, 05:50 AM
I vote for the fastest (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=54.99673%7E10.951366&style=r&lvl=8&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&rtp=pos.55.6763095825464_12.5693553258839_Copenhag en%2C%20Denmark__%7Epos.54.3236520498267_10.133437 7916782_Kiel%2C%20Schleswig-Holstein%2C%20Germany__&rtop=0%7E0%7E0&encType=1) :D Make sure we rent a fast car.
This route leads only to Kiel city. Laboe is located just outside of Kiel in the country, so you have still go through the city or around it and we have currently numerous construction sites in the metropolitan area of Kiel and traffic diversions which change almost daily. Yesterday I had to drive vocationally through Kiel :x

You should add approx. 40-50 minutes to the calculated driving time, no matter which route you choose.

Onkel Neal
08-27-09, 07:56 AM
Roger that, thanks.

I don't really care if we choose the long, fast route or the short, slow route.
I'll just go along with what the majority thinks.

But yes, the ferry steals 2*1 hour, and some waiting time at the ferry can occur... So the long route may be the best option. Fine with me...

Yeah, either way is fine with me too. As long as we can figure out how long we will have to wait for the ferry and how much it costs.

Seeadler
08-27-09, 11:02 AM
As long as we can figure out how long we will have to wait for the ferry and how much it costs.
timetable, processing times and prices can be seen here:
http://www.scandlines.de/timetable2/en/timetable.aspx
select Puttgarden - Rodby ferry

Carotio
08-28-09, 06:22 AM
Been thinking about this again...
Looking at the time tables, a ferry each ½ hour, I don't really think the short route is so bad. It can be nice with a short break - toilet, stretching of the legs, breathing some fresh sea air...
I'm mostly into making this route, so I'll vote for that.:yeah:
But if the majority insists on the other way round, then okay.:yep:

Let's also see how many we are on the 8th. If we go for a 7 person van or a 9 person van or if we need two. Maybe we can make a race if we have two vans. One go the one way, and the other the other way... :rotfl:

elanaiba
08-28-09, 06:25 AM
And we get lost and try to find each other :D

Joke aside, I'm good with whatever options the drivers / locals are comfortable with. I'm not a driver myself.

Kpt. Lehmann
08-29-09, 03:15 AM
Tell ya what...

I'll drive!

Won't cost you anything either!

We'll just mosey on over to one of the local Danish ambulance stations...

I'll flash my official-looking EMS I.D. and borrow one of their big flashing boxes...

...and we'll be there in ten minutes or less...

(If I could drive one and survive in Houston... I can drive ANYWHERE!!! LOL!)

Lickety split! Easy as pie. :D

Dibs on the stretcher anyone?

martes86
08-29-09, 11:25 AM
Is there a seat free or they're all gone already?
Any alternative ways of transportation? Trains or something?

Carotio
08-29-09, 10:19 PM
Is there a seat free or they're all gone already?
Any alternative ways of transportation? Trains or something?

I see 7 names in the list, a 9 person van is for rent too, so we should be able to fit you in as soon as the uncle updates the list...

EDIT:
I just saw that you'll arrive on the 16th at 15 pm. At that time we're probably walking around in Laboe....
Maybe you can ask for a parachute on the flight to Copenhagen...:03::rotfl:

martes86
08-30-09, 09:27 AM
Then I'll have to arrive a day earlier, since it seems there's only a single flight for going and another for coming per day.

Onkel Neal
09-04-09, 03:08 PM
Martes, did you change your flight?

If yes, then I show:

Neal
Abe
Chad
Dan
Mike
maerean_m
Carotio
martes
markus

That's 9 people.

If anyone else wants to go on our van, they need to speak up by Sunday Sept 6.

Once we lock in our rental, we cannot change it.

thanks
Neal

mapuc
09-04-09, 04:32 PM
IF there's any room for me, I'm willing to pay my share.

Othervise I have to take my own car or the train.

'cause I really want to take a tour round this sub.

It's funnier to see things like that, with friends, who have the same interest as me. Going alone with someone, who don't have the same interest as me. Is not funny at all

Markus

Onkel Neal
09-04-09, 06:12 PM
Yeah, we can get the 9 person van, according to Caratio, so we will add you to the list.

Anyone else? We can rent two vehicles, if needed.

FIREWALL
09-04-09, 06:19 PM
Who's the designated driver ? :()1: :haha:

mapuc
09-04-09, 08:02 PM
As I understand we depart as soon as possible early Wednesday morning

You have to wait for me, 'cause I can't be in Copenhagen(central station(train)) before 0645 appr.

I also vote for the ferry-rute

Markus

Onkel Neal
09-05-09, 06:34 AM
As long as you can be there by 0730. We will assemble at 0700, leave at 0730. Caratio will tell us where to meet to pick up the car.

Carotio
09-05-09, 08:09 AM
This is my proposal, and I sincerely believe this is what we should stick to. :03:
All necessary images are posted below.

We will meet in Copenhagen between 7.30 and 8.30.
During that time, we'll go to the Hertz office and pick up the van.
I propose that I'll pay by my local credit card, and you give me some cash, if we need to pay in advance.

Schedule
7.30 Meet at the hotel
7.45 We walk along the lakes to Hertz at Ved Vesterport (see map)
8.00 We get the van(s)
8.30 We leave Cph - the drive to Rødby is set to last 1h45, so we can make a stop on the road there, but no more than 0h45 in total.
11.00 We have to be at Rødby harbour
11.15 The ferry leaves Rødby - I suggest we eat some lunch at the ferry.
11.45 Arrival in Puttgarten
13.00 Arrival in Laboe - the drive to Laboe is set to last 1h15
19.00 The museums close
19.15 We leave Laboe - at the latest
20.30 Arrival in Puttgarten - we mustn't get there later than 20.30
20.45 The ferry leaves Puttgarten - I suggest we eat some dinner at the ferry.
21.15 Arrival in Rødby
23.00 Arrival in Cph - provided we have made no stops back home.

This van from Hertz seems to cost 1695 dkk. I'm sure it's just the rent, and that some other expences will come on top of it, like maybe insurances, and of course fuel too. If we need to stop along the way, this is one important reason to do so. And this prize is ONLY, if we're not increasing in participation number. If so, I'll have to check for alternatives to the 9 person van, so we may need a 7 person van and a car.
The ferry is 500 dkk.
So the prize for now is 2195 dkk / 9 = 244 dkk. We will do the final calculations, when we're back in Cph as to how much we each have to pay. Expect to pay more. :stare:

The screencaps. First a map of Cph. I have made a circle around the hotel (6) and around the street Ved Vesterport. So if someone should be late, it's either at the hotel at 7.30 or at the Hertz office at Ved Vesterport at 8.15. I know it sounds provocative, but I could be one of those, who would be late. :rotfl: But I'm sure, if it happens that you can make the walk yourself. When I arrive, I actually arrive at the small train station, Vesterport. So just in case, you have been warned... :D
Then two screenshots of the van with info, also with an image of the Hertz logo, so you know it - and what to look for just in case...
Then the ferry schedule and prize. It will be with the shoppingticket, which lasts for one day. I hope it's okay to stay in Germany this many hours. Otherwise they had another one-day ticket of 895 dkk I think...
Then some maps and driving info, which I have posted here previously...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916cph.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916van.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916van2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916ferry2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916krak.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916krak4.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916krak5.jpg

Carotio
09-07-09, 05:31 AM
The deadline has been passed, and the current list shows 9 people.
So these 9 will be going on the van from Copenhagen to Kiel and back.
I'll call the Hertz agency later to reserve a van for us and update this post, if the info I have posted above needs serious corrections.

Anyone else... tough luck. You had your chance, and you'll have to arrange transport on your own, if you wanna take part of the Laboe meet.

So I repeat in capital:

THE VAN RENTAL IS LOCKED, NO MORE REGISTRING POSSIBLE.

EDIT:
I have just called the agency and asked them to reserve the van. They couldn't tell me now, if it's available, but they will notify me later today.
The price for the van is 1695dkk and includes the first 100km. Each extra km is 5dkk.
Our route is about 2*255km = 510km. That is 410km * 5dkk = 2050dkk+1695dkk+500dkk = 4245dkk / 9 = 472dkk for each of us.
And I still think we'll have to pay for fuel too. It wouldn't surprise me. So expect something like 500dkk in total. (96.26$ or 67.17€)

To be updated...

Martes, did you change your flight?

If yes, then I show:

Neal
Abe
Chad
Dan
Mike
maerean_m
Carotio
martes
markus

That's 9 people.

If anyone else wants to go on our van, they need to speak up by Sunday Sept 6.

Once we lock in our rental, we cannot change it.

thanks
Neal

KeptinCranky
09-07-09, 06:03 AM
Crap, I missed the deadline... this means either changing the travel plans, or bumming a ride off someone (I don't have a car)

I'll browse the forum and see what the possibilities are

Onkel Neal
09-07-09, 10:23 AM
The deadline has been passed, and the current list shows 9 people.
So these 9 will be going on the van from Copenhagen to Kiel and back.
I'll call the Hertz agency later to reserve a van for us and update this post, if the info I have posted above needs serious corrections.

Anyone else... tough luck. You had your chance, and you'll have to arrange transport on your own, if you wanna take part of the Laboe meet.

Roger that, thanks and keep us posted. IF for some reason we cannot get the 9 person van, we would need two cars, right?

Thank you very much for being the go-to guy and getting this set up. Everyone listed will be responsible for an even share of the rental, ferry and fuel charges. I will be on hand to cover you for any out of pocket charges, such as a member not having the money to pay his share on the spot.

Neal

martes86
09-07-09, 04:18 PM
Oh, sorry I didn't really confirm, but yes, I'm changing my flight date to make it in time. I'll be arriving the 15th (tuesday). I have yet to confirm the time of arrival, and anything hotel-related.

Cheers

Carotio
09-10-09, 09:54 AM
I just make this post to confirm to the other 8 Kiel participants that I have received a confirmation mail that the van is reserved in my name. ;)

It would be nice if you have 500dkk in cash ready, since the amount will be withdrawn from my credit card. The final pay will be made thursday, when the van has to be back before 8am. After that, we'll make the final calculations, exactly how much money was spent on the van, ferry and fuel.

Onkel Neal
09-10-09, 10:48 AM
Sounds good.

Onkel Neal
09-10-09, 10:49 AM
Crap, I missed the deadline... this means either changing the travel plans, or bumming a ride off someone (I don't have a car)

I'll browse the forum and see what the possibilities are

Why don't you and Martes share a car? By the day of the trip there will probably be one or two more to split the bill with.

Carotio
09-10-09, 11:37 AM
Why don't you and Martes share a car? By the day of the trip there will probably be one or two more to split the bill with.

Ehhh... martes is on the list for the van.:03:

But it may be possible that others want to go too. They will just have to speak up and arrange something on their own, and pretty fast, since the day approaches rapidly...

martes86
09-10-09, 02:54 PM
Ehhh... martes is on the list for the van.:03:

Yes I am. :DL

BTW, how does this work with the "DKKs" anyway? It's been a long time since I used anything other than euros (basically, since we lost our national money and got the Euros). We can't pay in Euros in Denmark?

Carotio
09-10-09, 05:26 PM
BTW, how does this work with the "DKKs" anyway? It's been a long time since I used anything other than euros (basically, since we lost our national money and got the Euros). We can't pay in Euros in Denmark?

Look here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1169897&postcount=8

Sorry for you that you lost the Peseta - did your prices rose without the same happening for the salaries? Just curious...
We had a referendum, where most of us voted no to the Euro, and ever since, the Yes-politicians have been talking about the best moment to do a new referendum, cause they want the Euro, whatever the majority wants it or not... I voted no, for your info, and I'm pretty sure, I will do it again.

martes86
09-10-09, 06:30 PM
Sorry for you that you lost the Peseta - did your prices rose without the same happening for the salaries? Just curious...

Oh, well, that was bound to happen (the government said it wouldn't happen, that euros were good, but it happened, I think it's because of the price conversions, that made corporations want to have round numbers, since with pesetas, we didn't use fractional numbers). See an example from where I have breakfast with my work-mates (might be cheaper or more expensive, depending on the place):

Before euros
- Coffee: about 100 pta.

After euros
- Coffee: usually, 0.90 or 1 euro (166 pta.)

Not that I actually care that much, since I wasn't even 18 when that happened (I don't remember a voting here though), but with the euros, came a new term for workers, sort of "thousand-euroers" (literal translation), which basically applies for the vast majority of workers in the country, and comes to refer to people that earn about 1000 euros or less each month (that's about 15000 euros a year). Me, of course, I'm included in that group, and I think I'll be there for a while until my years of experience (and at least, I'm getting quality experience in business apps programming) make me "expensive".

Also, before euros, the money amounts we used to talk about, sounded like a lot, but with euros, they sounded sort of cheap, like small money (not good for compulsive expenders).
For example:

My dad's salary: 200,000 pta. -> 1,200 euros
A big game: 10,000 pta. -> 60 euros
An average apartment: 30,000,000 pta. -> 180,000 euros

The only good thing that comes with the EU and the euro is the abilty to travel with the same currency and my original ID, without need for passports. Apart from that, I don't know...

Carotio
09-10-09, 07:07 PM
I have just now bought the ferry ticket for this transport. I did so, so we're certain to get a place on that particular ferry. I don't know, if it was necessary, or if we could just show up and buy the ticket on the spot. But better be sure, so now that part is managed too.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/20090916ferry2.jpg

mapuc
09-10-09, 09:14 PM
There's a train, heading towards my hometown late in the night

This is what
1 Pasport
2 Money, Danish and some euros
3 My digital camera
4 some clothes

Furthermore The train arrives about 0642 at nørreport station, from there I take then Metro to Forum(a 2 minutes trip) but walking is not an option, it's about 2 km from the staion to the hotel

Markus

Carotio
09-15-09, 03:26 PM
Well, going to bed now, I hope to see Neal, Abe, Chad, Dan, Mike, maerean_m, martes and markus well rested and ready tomorrow at the hotel 7.30am for our Kiel trip.

So cu :03:

Onkel Neal
09-15-09, 04:44 PM
Right on, we are shutting down here tonight, will be ready at 7am and on.

Neal

mapuc
09-20-09, 04:17 PM
A lifetime memory it was indeed.

Markus