PDA

View Full Version : Limited edition/special edition

Sub Commander
08-21-09, 02:04 PM
Please give us a wonderfull collection box or whatever u wanna call it that includes a reqognition manual and the lot, atleast that its worth buying, not some plastic toys.

Sonarman
08-21-09, 04:05 PM
Yes, and let the devs have a hand in the creation of the stuff in the tin or at least approve it, not the "geniuses" in the marketing dept. No more medals, notepads and badges with a Typhoon on one side and a frigate with a helicopter on the reverse etc.

How about a strategy guide, a "wizz wheel", a printed chart etc things that actually add value and are useful for playing the game. Microprose and Dynamix et al managed decent indepth manuals 20 years ago why can't we do it now?

Stealth Hunter
08-21-09, 10:22 PM
^Because Microprose and Dynamix were dedicated to bringing their fans and future consumers quality games to enjoy for years to come, unlike most of the devs today who are focused only on making money. It's modders who have to/end up making games worthwhile in the end, not the company of origin.

Dynamix will always be my favorite. Oh if only they were around today.

Whatever happened to Damon Slye anyway? He made some great games.

Sub Commander
08-22-09, 03:21 AM
I heard the Sh 4 special edition was pretty bad, I WANT MY REQOGNITION MANUAL

Hmuda
08-22-09, 06:35 AM
And please do not make exclusive in-game content for pre-oders, special editions and retail-specific pre-orders. Only physical goodies, that most people could care less about, but leave the game complete and equal for every player.

Sailor Steve
08-22-09, 02:04 PM
The only problem I have with a recognition manual is that it will be outdated the minute a patch or mod adds new ships.

A whiz-wheel would be beautiful, especially if based on Hitman's work.

TDK1044
08-22-09, 02:40 PM
The problem is that the Devs have no control over this. It's handled by a totally different arm of the company.

ajrimmer42
08-22-09, 03:44 PM
How about a big red button that you plug into your usb port and you can use it for launching torps :DL That would be cool.

XLjedi
08-22-09, 04:56 PM
How about a big red button that you plug into your usb port and you can use it for launching torps :DL That would be cool.

I have a profile on my Saitek X52 that lets me use the up down flip switches to raise/lower my scopes.

Sonarman
08-23-09, 02:28 PM
The problem is that the Devs have no control over this. It's handled by a totally different arm of the company.

Yup, that's why the SH4 limited box was so bad, why can't they simply pass the artwork through the game's project manager for their seal of approval?

FIREWALL
08-24-09, 12:28 AM
Seems like the trend in Manual's in today games is PDF format.

You have a better chance of getting a little sub shaped whistle than, a decent Manual. :haha:

Highbury
08-24-09, 12:50 AM
Whatever happened to Damon Slye anyway? He made some great games.

He runs Mad Otter Games.. they do that free to play online WWI Flight Game, Ace of Aces.

& I agree with what Hmuda said about in-game special features.. I hate that crap. Make the software the same for everyone, give in-box bonuses for special editions.

Rip
08-26-09, 11:57 PM
I have a profile on my Saitek X52 that lets me use the up down flip switches to raise/lower my scopes.

Damn never thought about using mine. Too bad there isn't much chance for TrackIR support.

Webster
08-27-09, 01:06 PM
Please give us a wonderfull collection box or whatever u wanna call it that includes a reqognition manual and the lot, atleast that its worth buying, not some plastic toys.

that would be nice too but i still want a plastic sh5 u-boat to play with in my bathtub :O:

it would be a great marketing ploy if they gave away say 200 free genuine reproduction replicas of a u-boat or something like that to randomly selected serial numbers or included winning certificates with the original release version for the first buyers of sh5. that would reward the loyal supporters of the franchise as well as increase sales of the game.

FIREWALL
08-27-09, 01:18 PM
The only problem I have with a recognition manual is that it will be outdated the minute a patch or mod adds new ships.

A whiz-wheel would be beautiful, especially if based on Hitman's work.

So right. :up:

I like the idea of a whiz wheel.

It would fit in the game case and make up for the crummy manual. :haha:

DigitalAura
08-27-09, 02:23 PM

Dude, that would TOTALLY KICK AZZ!:o

Seaman_Hornsby
08-27-09, 02:43 PM

That IS a neat idea. :up:

reaper7
08-31-09, 05:24 AM
So right. :up:

I like the idea of a whiz wheel.

It would fit in the game case and make up for the crummy manual. :haha:

I created a wiz-wheel not so long ago that I would would love for them to include (could be made using thin perspex).

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4521/iswascalculator.jpg

Link to download the printable version is

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153347
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1285 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1285)

JScones
08-31-09, 05:35 AM
This time I want a pen that actually writes more than one paragraph before running out (the realist in me does not expect much beyond that).

Safe-Keeper
08-31-09, 03:43 PM
I liked how World in Conflict's collector's edition came with a pebble from the Berlin wall.

I agree with the OP, give me an indepth, full-colour manual, a recognition manual, or something similar in the Collector's Edition. Lots of gimmicks out today like flags, mouse pads, t-shirts and whatnot, but I'd prefer something useful, unless it was something really special like the Berlin wall thing above.

The WiC Collector's Edition also included a couple History Channel DVD's... maybe SH5's Collector's Edition could include a copy of Das Boot with a commentary track from... the SH5 devs?

FIREWALL
08-31-09, 04:43 PM
A tool like a whiz wheel has my vote.

A good manual will be useless when the modding begins.

Hitman
08-31-09, 04:56 PM
Wiz-wheel you said? :rock:

I did an exact replica of a real item, currently displayed in the UK submarine museum.

The templates are in my hard disk and all ready for UBI to take them for free and ship a decent wiz-wheel with them. :yeah:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7152/previewy.jpg