PDA

View Full Version : Mine Laying

Captain Birdseye
08-20-09, 04:48 PM
I wonder if SH5 will give us mine laying operations? I understand it was quite a big part of ATO.

Does anyone know how U-Boats laid mines?

Letum
08-20-09, 04:59 PM
Either through their torpedo tubes or mine hatches along the hull of the boat.

Speculation as to whether SHV will have a mine laying feature isn't sensible yet.

Captain Birdseye
08-20-09, 05:04 PM
Sorry about that, just wanted to check if anything had been mentioned :)

bookworm_020
08-20-09, 07:53 PM
If it is in the game, I know that when I have tubes full of mines is when a battleship will anchor in front of me:shifty::shifty:

Letum
08-20-09, 09:08 PM
As they are fire and forget weapons, they might be a little dull.
Unless you get a radio message from SS Unlucky a few weeks after you dropped the mines.

Grothesj2
08-21-09, 03:57 AM
It would be a nice addition to the game. Added variety in missions is always a good thing.

Jimbuna
08-21-09, 06:24 AM
It would be a nice addition to the game. Added variety in missions is always a good thing.

Agreed, but probably best only in a mission scenario:

"Convoy X is due in port within the next 48 hours, lay a minefield at the harbour entrance and await developments".

Contact
08-21-09, 08:22 AM
Well I wouldn't mind receiving radio message in open frequency like: SS <whateva> <grid> Struck mine, sinking!

In the grid where I have layed mines :up:

Uber Gruber
08-21-09, 08:41 AM
No reason why we can't have missions IN the campaign. The fun of laying mines will most likely be in penetrating the area where the mines need to be laid. Couple that with the timeit takes to lay mines and I would say it could be a nice tense inclusion in a campaign.

In fact, all missions should be part of the campaign and lot more varied ones too.

Delivering cargo to Japan.
Deploying troop teams in Malta, Channel Islands, Crete etc
Captaining an actual Milk Cow (tense during fuel and fish transfer)
Better weather reporting missions.
Orders than followed WWII history, e.g. remaining on surface whilst crossing Bay of Biscay with flak guns readied (disasterous tactic).
D-Day Suicide missions (hell, I ain't ramming nufink)

The campaign could be really fattened up with a good flow of commands from BdU rather than the "Must try harder" bollix.

Contact
08-21-09, 11:40 AM
No reason why we can't have missions IN the campaign. The fun of laying mines will most likely be in penetrating the area where the mines need to be laid. Couple that with the timeit takes to lay mines and I would say it could be a nice tense inclusion in a campaign.

In fact, all missions should be part of the campaign and lot more varied ones too.

Delivering cargo to Japan.
Deploying troop teams in Malta, Channel Islands, Crete etc
Captaining an actual Milk Cow (tense during fuel and fish transfer)
Better weather reporting missions.
Orders than followed WWII history, e.g. remaining on surface whilst crossing Bay of Biscay with flak guns readied (disasterous tactic).
D-Day Suicide missions (hell, I ain't ramming nufink)

The campaign could be really fattened up with a good flow of commands from BdU rather than the "Must try harder" bollix.

I agree with you. The more "life" we gonna feel in our u-boats the more exitement it will bring :up: Sadly but as distinct from real life games have their own possibilitie limits. All that hardcoded stuff that blocked moders from achieving goals can also be present at SH5. :down: I just hope SH5 will be less limting for moding than SH3.:up:

Biggs[CV]
08-21-09, 06:54 PM
Would love to be able to lay a mine field off Gibraltar.........:yeah:

karamazovnew
08-21-09, 10:12 PM
Minelaying would be boring, but sneaking up to the deploy position would be anything but.... :up: However, a simpler way would be to enforce infiltration missions (like the photo ones in SH4), or assasination missions (don't return untill that BB is toast!).

Contact
08-22-09, 12:55 AM
Minelaying would be boring, but sneaking up to the deploy position would be anything but.... :up: However, a simpler way would be to enforce infiltration missions (like the photo ones in SH4), or assasination missions (don't return untill that BB is toast!).

kids.. :nope:

joeljansson
08-22-09, 02:04 AM
kids.. :nope:
lets not be convicting all kids arent the same... or at least im not...:D

Contact
08-22-09, 02:13 AM
lets not be convicting all kids arent the same... or at least im not...:D

At least I would like to believe that :DL

JScones
08-22-09, 02:37 AM
VIID U-boats, of which there were six, would need to be incorporated for dedicated SMA mine laying.

TMA, TMB and TBC mines could, I guess, be modelled, but remember not all U-boats were capable of carrying mines. For example, less than 20 of the 54 IXC's were capable of carrying mines, and then only types TMA and TMB.

Although all VII u-boats should be capable of carrying types TMA and TMB...but at the expense of torpedoes, so Kaleuns would need to know in advance if they were likely to be expected to disperse mines so that they could adjust their loadout accordingly.

FIREWALL
08-22-09, 03:09 AM
If it is in the game, I know that when I have tubes full of mines is when a battleship will anchor in front of me:shifty::shifty:

:har::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Every BB in the Brit Navy will parade across your bow at 1knt. :har::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

joeljansson
09-07-09, 02:04 PM
At least I would like to believe that :DL
ah ha! im proof!:yep:

karamazovnew
09-07-09, 02:12 PM
I've had so many DD's right on top of my head, I wish I had a mine or at least a stick to poke them in their props. :haha:

Jimbuna
09-07-09, 05:41 PM
I believe there are many who look forward to the opportunity to go on a minelaying patrol http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Sonarman
09-07-09, 06:16 PM
Minelaying is in "Shells of Fury" and it's well implemented and fun there, I think it would be a great addition to the SH series even as a purchasable addon/DLC.

BootsmanBoof
09-07-09, 07:51 PM
Minelaying would be great, and photographic reconnaissance also. Infiltrate a port and take pics via the periscope.

Leandros
09-08-09, 03:00 AM
So, plant them all around her......:DL....

tater
09-08-09, 06:37 PM
A robust capability to mine is a great addition—both special mine laying tubes, as well as TT launched mines (multiples per tube possible if appropriate).

Any sort of magical success indicator should go away, however. Meaning if yu don't see it hit you shouldn't even be able to claim it.

If you do it for the kills... might as well play arcade mode anyway :) You mine because you are ordered to do so, no more, no less :)

Safe-Keeper
09-08-09, 07:34 PM
Agree with everything tater said.

Nothing wrong with laying some mines in front of something to watch them run into it, though :) .

:har::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Every BB in the Brit Navy will parade across your bow at 1knt. :har::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Webster
09-08-09, 08:12 PM
speaking of mine laying, i wonder if we will have currents and tides modeled into sh5?

maybe a mission to launch some free floating mines that need to be plotted to float into harbors channels and bases :hmmm:

Grothesj2
09-09-09, 03:35 AM
A robust capability to mine is a great addition—both special mine laying tubes, as well as TT launched mines (multiples per tube possible if appropriate).

Any sort of magical success indicator should go away, however. Meaning if yu don't see it hit you shouldn't even be able to claim it.

If you do it for the kills... might as well play arcade mode anyway :) You mine because you are ordered to do so, no more, no less :)
At Uboat.net you'll see many instances with a specific U-boat credited with a specific ship hit by a mine. Not sure if this was a tallied up after war but if say a merchant broadcasts it hit a mine at location xyz and uboat HQ knows what boat laid the mines there, well, then why not credit it?

tater
09-09-09, 08:36 AM
At Uboat.net you'll see many instances with a specific U-boat credited with a specific ship hit by a mine. Not sure if this was a tallied up after war but if say a merchant broadcasts it hit a mine at location xyz and uboat HQ knows what boat laid the mines there, well, then why not credit it?

That's fine as long as it is realistic. SH gives you perfect credit, however.

IMO, the entire credit issue could be made more realistic. Have a log that includes a pull down to make a claim. The skipper (you) would then claim a ship of a certain class or estimated size if unknown. The game would credit you if you watched it sink (were surfaced or scope up while it actually sank), and weight the claim based on various other factors (break up noises heard, etc). After you get to port, there might be some % chance that other intelligence confirms or denies a given claim, too. It would be interesting to play a whole war, and see how players over or under claim compared to the 100% accurate score.

So while some mines could well be attributed to a specific boat with some degree of certainty, the whole waiting around for mine kills thing seems kinda gamey.

Lt.Fillipidis
09-09-09, 12:46 PM
As they are fire and forget weapons, they might be a little dull.
Unless you get a radio message from SS Unlucky a few weeks after you dropped the mines.

Lol'd big time! :haha:

JU_88
09-09-09, 12:59 PM
Lamo, then you send a message back...

To: SS Unlucky

Webster
09-09-09, 03:14 PM
i cant see how you should get credit unless you drop it and they run into it directly.

they way i think it should be done is as an objective to complete and not an attack weapon

there could be exceptions to this but as a norm a mine is an anonomous fire and forget stealth weapon so no credit should be given