PDA

View Full Version : SH V Previews

Brag
08-20-09, 04:18 PM
This was provided by V.C. Sniper:

IGN: Silent Hunter V Preview (http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1016321p1.html)

Kapitan_Phillips
08-20-09, 04:21 PM
In Silent Hunter V, you can actually give your orders directly to your officers and they relay them to the petty officers and the rest of the crew. So, if you want to get the torpedoes ready for firing, you talk to your exec and he'll pass it along to the torpedo team.

:o :yeah:

longam
08-20-09, 04:26 PM
Back on our own sub, you'll notice that you have full freedom of movement. Now you can run around the sub as if you were playing Call of Duty, jumping down off the conning tower and walking up to the bow, or even climbing down into the hatch. Once at the bottom of the ladder, you can actually walk through the entire interior of your sub, stopping to look in the periscope in the command room before moving on past the radio and hydrophone operators to check on things in the torpedo room.

My favorite part.

Brag
08-20-09, 04:27 PM
It looks like our Bucharesties have been working on this long enough to give a demo!

Well done, guys. :salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

ajrimmer42
08-20-09, 04:27 PM
It sounds bloody brilliant :rock:

GoldenRivet
08-20-09, 05:14 PM
It looks like our Bucharesties have been working on this long enough to give a demo!

only question i have is when do we get a demo :D

Iron Budokan
08-20-09, 08:50 PM
Sounds awesome. :yeah:

Sledgehammer427
08-20-09, 10:57 PM
sounds friggin incredible!

and the little battle they play out in the review is EPIC!

Armistead
08-20-09, 11:07 PM
Just read it. See some things I like and some things I don't. Sure hope we can cut off a lot of the arcade tools. I don't need a flood meter showing me how fast a ship I hit is sinking...I'm not on that ship, I shouldn't have that info. Several things like that....arcade playing, not my style.

Didn't like losing morale for giving orders...Shouldn't lose morale for doing something a skipper does constantly. Should lose morale for damage, ect...same as 4., not giving orders.

But saw many things I liked, just pray this isn't going to be an arcade game where all info shows.

dcb
08-21-09, 01:37 AM
Didn't like losing morale for giving orders... Shouldn't lose morale for doing something a skipper does constantly. Should lose morale for damage, not giving orders.

Absolutely right. What about those long (and realistic) patrols when you find no target, that happened so frequently IRL? After two weeks of unsuccessful patrol the crew will mutiny, if you find no target to reload the 'morale bar'?
I hope they won't repeat the huge mistake of fatigue bars in SH3.

Armistead
08-21-09, 03:16 AM
Well, I was very positive about the game until I read the review. It seems it's a watered down arcade game like so many others, where you see all the info of both sides. I just hope options cuts all of this kiddy crap off.

caymanlee
08-21-09, 03:58 AM
"Walking around"-----------two words for this idea:F--King great!:salute::yeah:

Dowly
08-21-09, 04:13 AM
Awesome!!!!! :rock:

I love the freedom of movement, that was something they marketed SHIII with, great to see we finally get it in this scale. :yeah:

Dowly
08-21-09, 04:16 AM
I just hope options cuts all of this kiddy crap off.

I'm sure of that. :03:

LiveGoat
08-21-09, 04:45 AM
The only way this game could turn me on more is if it came with boobs and a working Hoo-Ha.

I do hope that the morale thing can be switched off in option. I don't want to spend the whole patrol patting my crew on the butt just to get them to function at normal efficiency.

papa_smurf
08-21-09, 04:46 AM
Finally, what we have all been waiting for - a fully interactive sub simulation. Im just glad Ubisoft decided to do this.

Stormfly
08-21-09, 05:17 AM
Finally, what we have all been waiting for - a fully interactive sub simulation. Im just glad Ubisoft decided to do this.

wow, i love icicles...

...would it be possible to flood the cunning tower to escape using a "Tauchretter" (kind of Momsen Lung), after the interrior flooding level reached the lower hatch of the tower ?

...could we make it to the surface ? :06::dead:

java`s revenge
08-21-09, 06:05 AM
I do have the idea when shv is on the market that there
will be mods to better/alter the game.

Lt. Staumeier
08-21-09, 06:16 AM
Very nice find! Sounds interesting, though some things seem to be way off the chart. In particular, loosing morale when given an order? Wtf? Also the arcade style torpedo shooting / sink meters...no thanks.

maerean_m
08-21-09, 06:30 AM
Well, I was very positive about the game until I read the review. It seems it's a watered down arcade game like so many others, where you see all the info of both sides. I just hope options cuts all of this kiddy crap off.

The demo was played with the realism settings set to zero. But those realism settings you know are still in the game and there are also some new ones :D

Jimbuna
08-21-09, 06:50 AM
The demo was played with the realism settings set to zero. But those realism settings you know are still in the game and there are also some new ones :D

Never judge the book by its cover.

I'm confident future previews (if they materialise) will enlighten us all further.

Crack on Dev Team http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

ccruner13
08-21-09, 07:19 AM
increased draw distance..nice. new damage model too? awesome.

Uber Gruber
08-21-09, 08:34 AM
I liked the sea in the pics but not in the vid. So i don't think the pics in the article are "game engine" pics which is a shame.

We really do need a more realistic environment re sea, weather, sea state etc. Oh and the occasional floating debris from a long ago sunk ship wouldn't go amis. Would certainly "wake us up" during un-eventfull patrols.

"Object spotted off port bosw sir!"...so you slow down and draw nearer to find a crate of WW1 uniforms for example. Hey, might even be a barking dog on a floating bit of wood.

There's definately modding potential for the interior walkabout but the command system might be tricky to get right. I would like something akin to Flashpoint 2 interface, quick, intuitive and easy to use.

Iron Budokan
08-21-09, 10:22 AM
"As with other titles in the Silent Hunter series, players will be able to choose from a variety of realism options to make the game more or less difficult according to their own play style." -- IGN preview

"Choose from a variety of realism options." Sounds like the player can adjust the realism options like the other games. :yep:

AVGWarhawk
08-21-09, 11:00 AM
I love the freedom of movement

Me too. Especially in my shorts. :D

Sailor Steve
08-21-09, 11:01 AM

"Bucharesties"?

The Old Sailor approves of this newly-coined Balzism.:sunny:

Annatar
08-21-09, 11:18 AM
I look forward to getting depth charged with this new First Person system. Hopefully we'll get to see compartments flooding, repair teams working and all kinds of other neat things.

Gotmilk
08-21-09, 02:15 PM
can someone translate please

Hieß der Vorgänger im Untertitel noch Wolfes of the Pacific und brachen wir damit auf amerikanischer Seite zur Feindfahrt auf, können wir jetzt erstmals als Kaleu an Bord gehen und ein Boot der Grauen Wölfe auf deutscher Seite kommandieren. Dazu können wir in der neuen U-Boot-Simulation für PC von Ubisoft das Leben im Boot in der Ich-Perspektive verfolgen.

Narvik, 1940. Die Deutschen haben Norwegen eingenommen. Im Hafen tummelt sich die Kriegsmarine, denn ein britischer Konvoi ist gesichtet worden. Ein paar Zerstörer und ein großes Schlachtschiff. Drei deutsche Zerstörer sind bereits ausgelaufen, um sich der Übermacht im Eismeer zu stellen. Wir übernehmen das Kommando über ein U-Boot und folgen ihnen in den aussichtslosen Kampf. Dabei sehen wir erst, wie wir das schon von U-Boot-Simulationen her kennen, bei Überwasserfahrt vom Turm aus. Dank verbesserter Engine steigt die Kamera aber nun weit über den Fjord auf. Sogar über die Swordfish-Torpedo-Flieger, welche die Briten bereits von ihren Schiffen gestartet haben.
http://mediang.gameswelt.net/public/images/200908/a30f5869dcfc65a311085351d57ae1c4.jpg (http://mediang.gameswelt.net/public/images/200908/cfaea1864b78f94d2340c57b375fc698.jpg)
Von ganz oben geht's jetzt wieder nach unten, zurück auf den Turm des U-Boots des Typs 7. Die Luke ist offen und die Kamera fährt nach unten. In First-Person-Sicht, nur eben ohne Maschinengewehr, eher als stiller Beobachter, gleitet sie weiter in den Rumpf des Bootes. Auf der Brücke stehen der bärtige KaLeu, der erste Offizier und es sitzen die beiden U-Boot-Fahrer mit den großen Lenkrädern. Dann schwenkt die Kamera herum und wir gleiten durch das Schott am Funker, am Kerl, der das Meer nach Schraubengeräuschen absucht, sowie an schlafenden Kameraden vorbei in den Torpedo-Raum.
Wieder zurück auf der Brücke geht's diesmal in die andere Richtung. Wir passieren Kojen, den Koch in der Kombüse und weitere schlafende Kameraden, bis wir zum Maschinenraum gelangen, in dem die Dieselmotoren knattern. Ein schöner Unterwasser-Kahn. Genauso wie in Das Boot. Nur fühlt man sich jetzt, als wäre man mittendrin und nicht auf der Couch bei der x-ten Ausstrahlung von Wolfgang Petersens Director's Cut. Wir können mit der Mannschaft interagieren, sie bei ihrer Arbeit beobachten und die Anspannung an Bord nachempfinden. In anderen Worten: Näher an der Wirklichkeit war bislang noch keine U-Boot-Simulation.
Silent Hunter 5 - GC 2009 Debut Trailer

Das zeigt dann auch gleich ein Blick durchs Periskop. Durch unseren Rundgang abgelenkt, hat der britische Konvoi in aller Ruhe unsere Zerstörer erreicht und unter Feuer genommen. Einer brennt bereits. Und das Wasser, das gegen das Glas des gekrümmten Fernrohres schwappt, sieht genauso aus, wie ich das vom letzten Schnorcheln im Urlaub in Erinnerung habe. Dazu regnet es hier aber noch. Die Tropfen perlen natürlich auch schön echt ab. Aber lassen wir die Grafik, schließlich sind wir hier im Einsatz. Wir müssen erst die beste Position einnehmen, um dem großen Schlachtschiff möglichst zielsicher einen unserer Torpedos verpassen zu können.
http://mediang.gameswelt.net/public/images/200908/72105cb7d751a1aca0bbc041f4e499fa.jpg (http://mediang.gameswelt.net/public/images/200908/df548946d5a395a91b08b6977fa1da4a.jpg)
Dafür gibt's links auf dem Bildschirm neben der Seerohrperspektive eine taktische Karte mit Pfeilen und Kreisen, die uns genau anzeigt, in welche Richtung sich das Boot und der Gegner bewegen. Das Warten ist nervenzerreißend. Und man ist schon versucht zu schreien: "Na schieß endlich." Aber ein Torpedo, der über das Ziel hinausschießt, verrät die eigene Position. Doch dann setzt der Vorspieler endlich zwei Torpedos ins Wasser und somit das große Schlachtschiff in Brand. Für die Überprüfung des Treffers steigt die Kamera wieder in die Vogelperspektive hinauf. Das Schiff hat ordentlich Schlagseite abbekommen. Da ist nichts mehr zu machen. Wo ist das nächste Ziel? weiter... (http://www.gameswelt.de/articles/previews/5920-Silent_Hunter_5/result.html)

Die verbesserte Engine ermöglicht nun eine bessere Übersicht über das Seeschlachtgemetzel. Und auch eine detaillierte Innenansicht des Bootes, das wir jetzt in der Ich-Perspektive durchschreiten können. Die Gefechte selbst haben an taktischer Tiefe gewonnen und allein dass wir mit Silent Hunter endlich einmal ein Boot und kein Submarine kommandieren können, sollte das Herz eines jeden PC-U-Bootfahrers höher schlagen lassen.

BulSoldier
08-21-09, 03:03 PM
Try google translator or something similar.I am sure you will get most of it.

AVGWarhawk
08-21-09, 03:27 PM
I look forward to getting depth charged with this new First Person system. Hopefully we'll get to see compartments flooding, repair teams working and all kinds of other neat things.

Hmmmmm....good point! :hmmm:

Jimbuna
08-21-09, 04:10 PM

Like crewmen catching the salamis and bananas as they fall from the pipes before hitting the floor and stashing them under they're pillow cases :DL

Fincuan
08-21-09, 04:38 PM
Like crewmen catching the salamis and bananas as they fall from the pipes before hitting the floor and stashing them under they're pillow cases :DL

Imagine the possibilites of "sidegames" here: One of your crew goes nuts, and you suddnely find yourself chasing him through the boat with a wrench :haha:

Brag
08-21-09, 06:48 PM

Jimbo, you like stashing farthing bananas ubder your pillow? :D

AVGWarhawk
08-21-09, 06:58 PM

Better not be any crewmen stuffing his banana in a pillow case :o

karamazovnew
08-21-09, 09:23 PM
The new tactical map also appears in a small corner of the map, and even shows contacts and your own field of view so you can tell what's what in the periscope.
If I remember correctly, the real periscopes didn't have bearing lines, you had to look back a bit and read the bearings on the static part above the periscope. That field of view will be just what's needed to simulate spatial orientation as you look through the lens, good thinking there :yeah:.

In Silent Hunter V, torpedo firing solutions are drawn right on the tactical map, with one line showing the likely path of your target and one line showing the path of your torpedo. Both lines have the numbers one, two and three on them, indicating where the target and the torpedo will be when launched at different times. All you have to do to line up a good shot is get the same number to intersect with itself on both paths. Then fire at that speed and, as long as the target doesn't move, you should be golden.
That's preety much trigonometry for dummies :haha:. But really now, and I hope Dan and his crew see this: CUSTOMISATION!!!!!!! Many of us still want to do some things manually, so pleeeaaaase this time allow us to select every part of the interface that we want. Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder so don't bother to split such goodies into realism settings. I wouldn't mind a 10 page interface options panel. For example, one option that I really miss in SH3 and SH4 is to see the hydrophone lines BUT not the visual contact boxes. :ping: And I don't really know how the maps will be done this time, but I'd like to have the nav map for navigation only and the attack map with absolute/relative options (sort of like an empty page on which I can scribble things). And no GPS for christ sake, and... just about 10000 things more :har:. Argh, just make the damn game moddable, I'll handle the rest :arrgh!:.

PS: did you check the screenshots?! They look amazing... it's sort of SH4 (or better) graphics with the gritty SH3 look. Brilliant! Can't wait to play it.

DanCanovas
08-22-09, 04:58 AM
sounds great, we're all here because we love sub sims so we should be grateful for whatever is brought to the market, even if it isnt perfect. If we were flight sim.com things would be pretty dull right now!

Jimbuna
08-22-09, 05:27 AM
The mere mention of chasing each other around the boat with bananas (in pillow cases in Chris' case....has a certain ring to it LOL) is enough to keep this unruly mob happy http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/329/2559ch0.gif

Whilst on the subject of hanging food....anyone fancy a ham shank http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/whistle.gif

DanCanovas
08-22-09, 08:35 AM
watch out jims about

Red Heat
08-22-09, 12:32 PM
Lets wait and see... :yep:

Sailor Steve
08-22-09, 01:57 PM
Lets wait and see... :yep:
But wild speculation is so much more fun.:p2:

Jimbuna
08-22-09, 03:33 PM
watch out jims about

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6356/av129190fjwl3.gif

Sonarman
08-24-09, 01:00 PM
Gamespot's (not very detailed) take on SH5 is presented here (http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6216064/silent-hunter-5-first-impressions) for us to mull and chew over.

Linavitch
08-24-09, 05:43 PM
It seems it's a watered down arcade

To be fair, SH games aren't the easiest games to pick up and play. My first SH3 patrols were on 'easy' and aI built my way up from there. By time SH4 launched I was confident for 90% realism (still can't do without map updates).

Subsim is a welcoming community, but without a game that is welcoming to new players, there wont be any new players to welcome. A sports game with crap AI can still be a good PVP game but Sub games don't really have that that option.

I for one hope at 'easy' settings the game is accessible to attract lots of new players. Obviously there is a market for sims, but it is not a large market, so attracting new players is a neccessity for the devs, and us as fans of the genre.

regards

_alphaBeta_
08-24-09, 10:02 PM
Moreover, successfully completing your missions will grant you promotion points you can spend to improve your officer and crew abilities, giving them things like better torpedo accuracy or better engine efficiency.

Let's hope officer and crew abilities are clearly explained this time. Was I the only one completely confused by what all the crew parameters meant in SHIV? I never did get an explanation nor did I see it documented anywhere.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=515326&postcount=6

Otherwise, I'd say things sound encouraging.

Morpheus
08-25-09, 02:52 AM
Hope British DD ASW will be a ticket to Gung-Ho!

Dont implement something stupid like the heroskill ever again ... my sh4 crew is reloading torpedos within 2 seconds.

Yes, i will love to take a midnight walk through my submarine and see some of my crew sleep while me and my officers are planing the next run around attack. This will give the game just a bit of roleplay feeling that was missing all along...

karamazovnew
08-25-09, 09:15 AM
I've just read the Gamespot Preview. The Tactical Map is a great addition and will prove very usefull both for new players as well as old. We will have a better understanding about how the game works and is supposed to be played. BUUUUUT....

I hope the detections circles are a bit more dynamic. I hope it's not like detection for mobs in World of Warcraft :damn:. And of course, I hope that the devs have seen posts regarding the doble split prisms and the AOB finder wheels that the germans had. After 1 campaign with the tactical map, I'd rather not use it anymore. It's poprpoise on hard difficulty should only be to mimic the spatial awareness of the captain.

Lets say you go to the bridge and there's a german patrol craft at your 220. You look at it and it updates to 220 on the tactical map. SInce it's a friendly, as soon as it gets within a certain range (dynamic) it should change color to indicate nationality. As you continue to look at it, it updates continually. But if you look away from it, it doesn't update anymore. After a while you bring it in your FOV agian and it updates (for example to 240). Ranges should be shown not by line lengths, as all contacts should appear on the outside of the FOV dial, but by color intensity, or icon size. AOB/Course should only be visible as you near it (again, dynamic), or if you input it youself, but only as 45 degrees icon arrays.

As soon as you dive, all hydrophone contacts would mimic this exact behavior, as any good sonar officer could give you 45 degree AOB's as he would be capable of distinguishing between port and starboard, closing or moving away contacts. Unlike visual contacts, it wouldn't be update by moving your FOV or by asking aditional reports from watch crew, but automatically once every X seconds. Raising you scope, would not transform them into visual contacts, but would update them to your decisions.

Each item should be left clicked or right clicked to show a small menu with stuff like "enemy/neutral/friendly", "merchant/warship", "asdic/passive", "engage with deck gun", "follow on sonar", "ping for distance", "make full report", "report to BdU", "estimate visual range", "identify target" and so on.

They have already indicated that a FOV dial will exist, I also hope that it will replace the cursed periscope bearings on the lens. I also hope they'll realise the need to make it's rotation absolute (fov wedge moves over static sub) or relative (sub moves under static fov wedge). WIth all the contacts there, it will greatly add to spatial awareness. You'd "feel" the DDs coming from your left, while you sit on the loo.

How does that sound?

Seeadler
08-25-09, 11:14 AM
Google translation of a german SH5 GC presentation review

LINK (http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.4players.de%2F4player s.php%2Fspielinfonews%2FPC-CDROM%2F18518%2F1972318%2FSilent_Hunter_5.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8)

SteamWake
08-25-09, 06:06 PM
(Woops posted this after Seeadler snuck in the german one. The following refers to the anchor post)

There was some elusion to a sort of role playing thing in the guise of moral. Thats interesting.

The talk about plotting on the stratigic map intersecting lines and numbers seemed a litte confusing to me. Id have to see it in action to understand it after these years of doing it on paper on in my head.

I think the best thing I saw was image 4 of 6... the smoke... the sky... :up:

Some of the other screenshots show the greater draw distance. Check out the trees on the Island :03:

The last screenshot though :doh: Box art?

(From Seeadlers link)

Both dynamic campaign, simulation features, multiplayer mode, and the missions were hardly dealt with in terms of bugs and error-free the last Silent Hunter games were poor role model.

Good news

SteamWake
08-25-09, 06:17 PM
as any good sonar officer could give you 45 degree AOB's as he would be capable of distinguishing between port and starboard, closing or moving away contacts.

Even in that era? I can understand closing or moving away but AOB?

karamazovnew
08-25-09, 11:20 PM
Well, it's not that hard mate.
"Closing, dead on" = AOB 0
"Closing, Starboard(right) Side to us" = AOB 45 starboard
"Constant distance, Starboard side" = AOB 90 starboard
"Moving away, Starboard Side" = AOB 135 starboard
"Moving away, stern to us" = 180 AOB.

He wouldn't know exactly the angles, of course, but it's enough info to rotate some ship icons on the tactical map without making the game too easy.

karamazovnew
08-26-09, 01:36 PM
Nono, He gives me the bearing anyway (hopefully with a bit of "human" error). A complete report would be something like:
"Sound contact at 225, merchant closing, starboard side to us". Or something like that. I've read the US sonar manual, there was a line just like this. Instead of "side" they said "left movement" or "right movement".
Agree with you on the detection circles. But if they manage to do it dinamically and don't enforce it too much, it would be a nice touch for newbies.

Payoff
08-30-09, 05:16 PM
A few more tidbits from Ausgamers.

"The entire sub, inside and out, has been modeled in intricate detail to provide the most realistic experience possible - the demonstration we saw showed things like Enigma machines lying around in your radio room."

Hopefully not just a paperweight as in SHIII.

"A new graphical engine powers Silent Hunter 5, boasting a three times increase in view distance - leading to some spectacular panoramic views of ocean scenes with warships everywhere."

"As captain in FPS mode, you're able to communicate directly with your fellow sailors and issue particular orders, taking advantage of various skills. In the example we saw, you could talk to the engineer in the engine room and ask him to try to eke some more power out of the engines by overcharging them. Doing this has a penalty though - it drops their morale, which has various effects on the rest of the crew and thus the game in general, so you must use it wisely and sparingly."

"As you progress through the game, you'll earn promotion points, which can be spread amongst your crew to 'upgrade' them with various other abilities that can be called on in the thick of battle. This aims to provide a bit more variety in the gameplay by allowing you to focus on particular skills that suit your commanding style."

Full preview here http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2776914

Payoff

Andyman23
08-30-09, 06:57 PM
how does getting more power out of your engine drop your crews morale? i know i've seen this question around here before, but seriously, i just dont get it

Mittelwaechter
08-30-09, 07:15 PM
Insane speed maybe indicates an emergency situation - and the fear of damaged or broken diesel or e-propulsion may lower the crew morale.

Stormfly
08-30-09, 07:41 PM
yes, what we would need here is a higher chance of an engine failiure, and this also includes a random generated failiure system in general, if you overstress a system, the chance of a failiure will rise and so on. Also weather, or how long your patrol is running allready and other things could alter this factor...

iambecomelife
08-31-09, 01:47 PM
I would also like to see random deviation from the basic technical stats for each submarine.

One of the most frustrating things about simulators is that game devs are always 100% faithful to the "textbook" design values. As I'm sitting in the virtual nightclub (if there is one) I want to hear things like:

"Watch out for U-49. Her old captain was a speed demon, & her engines can only make 15-16 kts. If the brass offer you command, pass it up."

"U-127 has bad accomodation. Kills the crew's morale every time."

"U-99 has great engines - you can probably eke out an extra knot or two."

Also, over time craftsmanship in general shoud deteriorate. By 1945 sabotage, air raids, & loss of craftsmen should mean that parts are less sturdy & random failures are more likely to occur.

karamazovnew
08-31-09, 01:49 PM
Good one IABL, I'd love to see that too :yeah:

andycaccia
09-19-09, 07:29 AM
Yeah...That's good, indeed. But only as an option for increased realism.
I remeber SH2...there was an option called "realistc reliability" or something like that. Actually, it made vital parts of your u-boat subject to random failures which needed to be repaired. Another nice feature was that you could overheat the engines in fuou pushed them for too long....with the ultimate result of breakin' them.

I do not like the morale malus associated with th engine boost...honestly i think it will be more realistic an increase in fuel consumption, heat generated and / or loss of reliability.

gutted
09-19-09, 11:39 AM
i dont get the morale thing either.

so everytime i make a course change order my crew is going to get weary?

karamazovnew
09-19-09, 12:01 PM
so everytime i make a course change order my crew is going to get weary?

Not the entire crew, but believe me, your navigator will hate you... The poor guy isn't just clicking on a map like you do :haha:
As long as the morale system is smartly hidden away, it will add a lot to immersion. In case you push them to the limit, they won't revolt but you won't feel very proud of yourself either.

Iron Budokan
09-19-09, 12:06 PM
Also, over time craftsmanship in general shoud deteriorate. By 1945 sabotage, air raids, & loss of craftsmen should mean that parts are less sturdy & random failures are more likely to occur.

I like this idea a lot. :up:

karamazovnew
09-19-09, 12:12 PM
Wait what?! In SH3 with GWX we have to wait till 43 to get good eels, and now you want them to be bad again after 44?! Sabotage and malfunctions are ok, should be imediately implemented, and it would be nice to have random malfunctions during patrols to keep the CE busy. But at least let the WO inspect the torpedoes and "repair" them during the patrol. :up:

gutted
09-19-09, 02:28 PM
Not the entire crew, but believe me, your navigator will hate you... The poor guy isn't just clicking on a map like you do :haha:
As long as the morale system is smartly hidden away, it will add a lot to immersion. In case you push them to the limit, they won't revolt but you won't feel very proud of yourself either.

but thats his job to plot courses. its what he was trained to do.. it's what he's good at. evrery man on the boat has their job.. why would he get upset for doing his job?

i mean... its his job!! lol

morale imo, should have more to do with:
1. rest (or lack of)
2. combat action (or lack of) & it's success/failure
3. the length of the cruise (.ie longing for port)

the longer you go without contact, the more agitated the crew will become. sink some stuff and everybody's happy. get DC'd and everyone should be shaken up for awhile. have all your torpedo's miss, and the crew will be let down. you know.. things that would affect real people.

time of year could play a small part as well due to holiday. crew might get abit home sick on the cruise around christmas time.

but to have morale go down for just doing what your supposed to do is kinda silly.

Rapt0r56
09-19-09, 05:32 PM
"So, if you want to get the torpedoes ready for firing, you talk to your exec and he'll pass it along to the torpedo team. If you want to overcharge the diesel engines, you head aft and tell the chief engineer. If you want to check sensor status, you'll need to talk to your watch officer."...

I want to play this Demo Now!!! :rock:

karamazovnew
09-19-09, 07:20 PM
evrery man on the boat has their job.. why would he get upset for doing his job?

In the movie Run Silent Run Deep, the captain continuously ordered dive drills. It annoyed the crew so much that they considered mutiny. Untill almost the very end of the movie, they continued to hate him. The game doesn't punish you because you give orders, but the game's mechanics punish you if you are completely undecided... go here, no wait, go there, no wait again, go back, no forward, unload that tube, no wait, load the other one.. that would annoy any crew. I too raised my eyebrow when i first heard about the new renown system. But after a bit of thought I'm sure it will play just great. And remember, renown and fatigue have always been easily moddable. If you don't like them, you can mod them :03:

Rapt0r56
09-19-09, 11:23 PM
I want sitting with my Officers on the Buck, and drink U-Boot Spezial Cocktail :up:

kptn_kaiserhof
09-26-09, 12:59 PM
i will drink to that (raising a toast)

Uber Gruber
09-26-09, 01:46 PM
The more I hear about SH5 the more I realise it will be a 'game' and not a 'simulation'. Oh well, I suppose the devs never said it was a sim so I shouldn't be disapointed.

Eeking a few extra knots lowers crew morale indeed! How about it plays havoc with yer fuel consumption and, as previously suggested, increases failure chance for all related components.

Lets just hope the end result can be better modded than hardcoded SH3 and SH4 - it's an inexcusable coding practise anyway.

maerean_m
09-26-09, 04:47 PM
Or, just maybe, you'll find yourself playing Silent Hunter 5 until dawn. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/1.gif

Rip
09-26-09, 05:10 PM
Or, just maybe, you'll find yourself playing Silent Hunter 5 until dawn. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/1.gif

No maybe to that. I suspect I will be playing every moment I can for a number of months. You can collect my money right now.

:yeah:

Uber Gruber
09-27-09, 06:15 AM

Mmmmm.....I think it's only fair I put my grumpy head back in the box and wait till the game is released before further comment:hmmm:

Alex
09-29-09, 06:45 PM
@ Mihai : By the way, don't you SH5 dev team plan to make some dev diary video(s) in the upcoming weeks and months, just like you did while developing SH4 ? :DL

:|\\

oscar19681
09-30-09, 07:50 AM
@ Mihai : By the way, don't you SH5 dev team plan to make some dev diary video(s) in the upcoming weeks and months, just like you did while developing SH4 ? :DL

:|\\

I sure as hell hope so! The visual information on sh-5 is so minimal at the moment

Kapitan_Phillips
09-30-09, 07:57 AM
I want sitting with my Officers on the Buck, and drink U-Boot Spezial Cocktail :up:

Talk about a glutton for punishment!

The General
09-30-09, 08:59 AM
@ Mihai : By the way, don't you SH5 dev team plan to make some dev diary video(s) in the upcoming weeks and months, just like you did while developing SH4 ? :DL...Or the Devs can skip the Diary part and just let us see footage and screenshots of Silent Hunter V. There are a lot of talented Modders in this community who can comment on what changes have been made just by analyzing this information. :|\\

kemeri
10-16-09, 02:45 PM
Gamesradar.... (http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/silent-hunter-5/preview/silent-hunter-5-first-look/a-20091015141936526014/g-20090817103713107079)

FIREWALL
10-16-09, 03:03 PM
I like alot of the ideas posted as long as their Options that can be increased or decreased to be adjustable to Players skill level.

To not do that will kill sales and jeopardies the chance of SH6.

High sales increases the chance of continued SH genre/franchise. :yep:

mookiemookie
10-16-09, 03:15 PM
Want to increase the length of time you can run your submarine silently? Have your chief engineer pile his experience points into efficient battery consumption.

I'm not sure about this. I am not a big fan of "experience points" allowing for capabilities that the U-boat technology just didn't do.

kapitan_zur_see
10-16-09, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure about this. I am not a big fan of "experience points" allowing for capabilities that the U-boat technology just didn't do.

Depends... in effect, yes, it shouldn't overcome what technology could do at the time. However, if implemented right, could be explained: for exemple, good battery experience, to have more precise estimate time of batteries running left, experience could gives him the knowledge of what vitals vs minors things could be turned off in order to spare energy and etc.

However i'd be more keen on experience points be mostly regarding repairing abilities (great battery experience= faster repair time, more battery elements be saved, less chance of chlorine gaz emission and etc.)

Paulowanclift
10-16-09, 05:43 PM
Do I spy ice build up on ships?!?!?! It's the little details that make me happy :D

Snestorm
10-16-09, 07:58 PM
Like MookieMoookie, I don't find these Special Abilities very appealing.

Like most other things, were it included as an option, all could enjoy.
It seems to be a feature that one is not forced to employ anyway.

mookiemookie
10-16-09, 09:45 PM
However i'd be more keen on experience points be mostly regarding repairing abilities (great battery experience= faster repair time, more battery elements be saved, less chance of chlorine gaz emission and etc.)

What I'd ike to see is a system where wear and tear, breakdowns and sabotage are an issue. More experience points for your chief means you could push your engines at flank speed longer and they wouldn't wear down as fast, or breakdowns could be fixed faster. That sort of thing. Not allowing for pushing equipment above and beyond its historical specs.

kapitan_zur_see
10-17-09, 08:12 PM
What I'd ike to see is a system where wear and tear, breakdowns and sabotage are an issue. More experience points for your chief means you could push your engines at flank speed longer and they wouldn't wear down as fast, or breakdowns could be fixed faster. That sort of thing. Not allowing for pushing equipment above and beyond its historical specs.

I sure hope it's gonna look this way. I guess it's the best system regarding this experience thing. Somehow I doubt it though, I guess it's gonna be more RPG action like... Guess we'll have to wait and see ;)