PDA

View Full Version : Re dialogue with crew

rascal101
08-19-09, 06:14 AM
A great inovation and could be a real plus to add depth and realism, but not if every time you go past the cook he asks if you 'want some' or in the torpedo room the officer asks if you want to play - I hope the devs are aware this could really be a game maker or breaker

Just a thought

R

ReallyDedPoet
08-19-09, 07:08 AM
Interesting comment, I was thinking the same thing. If it is not somewhat dynamic, then it could get old fairly quick.
But the concept is a neat one, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Letum
08-19-09, 08:18 AM
Yes, any speculation at this point is on the most shaky of cgrounds.

JU_88
08-19-09, 08:56 AM
Well, some repetition from the AI crew speech is inevitable, no game can have an infinate amount AI dialogue, its not possible.

Yes, the cook probably will offer you to taste his cooking several thousand times, but that is just a limitation that all developers and gamers have to live with in the present.

The key here is that the Devs are giving us more of the 'human' element of being on a WW2 sub, the crews reactions and behavior adds to the immersion if they can reasonably express excitment, fear, fatique etc.

Nexus7
08-19-09, 09:08 AM
Intriguing feature indeed... imagine you're evading water bombs and a crew member starts screaming, or on a good torpedo hit the crew starts celebrating lol

Sledgehammer427
08-19-09, 02:33 PM
My guess is that they will have a few dialogues set up. for evey important crewmember
walk past the cook
"want some Kaleun?"
second time
"Afternoon Kaleun"
third
"you look awfully hungry herr kaleun"

you know? its not too much time in the studio to do 5 or 6 different introductions, a few short conversations, and a parting adknowlegement.

then, plant a "random seed" and watch the sudden and suprising differences you will find in a conversation...

then, multiply the above by about 5 or 6. never a dull moment

Safe-Keeper
08-19-09, 06:21 PM
Actually, if the devs have voice talents, nothing's stopping them from simply adding or replacing speech lines with patches. Not that they'll keep doing that forever, but it'd be a welcome little gesture.

GreyOctober
08-20-09, 02:55 AM
Actually, IF the devs have voice talents, nothing's stopping them from simply adding or replacing speech lines with patches. Not that they'll keep doing that forever, but it'd be a welcome little gesture.

:D...

Iron Budokan
08-20-09, 03:21 AM
The key here is that the Devs are giving us more of the 'human' element of being on a WW2 sub, the crews reactions and behavior adds to the immersion if they can reasonably express excitment, fear, fatique etc.

I agree. It appears they've put some effort into modeling this and having this actually change the morale dynamics on the boat. Little things like that are invaluable for immersion.

Nexus7
08-20-09, 08:53 AM
I agree. It appears they've put some effort into modeling this and having this actually change the morale dynamics on the boat. Little things like that are invaluable for immersion.

For sure a good magnet to suck people into the stores... :D

JU_88
08-20-09, 09:19 AM
So one minute Bernard has an Amercian Accent, then a Romanian one the Next? ARRRGGGHHH!!! :DL
Im Kidding - it would be great if they did, but i think bug fixes will be the first priority in the patches.

Sailor Steve
08-20-09, 10:46 AM
My guess is that they will have a few dialogues set up. for evey important crewmember
walk past the cook
"want some Kaleun?"
second time
"Afternoon Kaleun"
third
"you look awfully hungry herr kaleun"
"How was the stew, Herr Kaleun?"
"Sausages for lunch today, Herr Kaleun!"

raymond6751
10-14-09, 06:03 AM
The dialogues have to be linked to events too. I'd hate to be silently trying to evade destroyers and hear the crew in conversation totally inappropriate to what is going on.

I would like to see, for instance, dialogue with repair party progress during damage control. The engineer can pipe up if we spend too much time at high speed. Random events / injuries can make life interesting.

The navigation officer might complain if the weather doesn't allow sightings, and the radio can give problems.

Dailly reports to the captain by department heads on the status of their men/equipment would be interesting, more frequent when damaged.

Definitely some dialogue would be restricted to times when NOT in contact with enemy units.

momo55
10-14-09, 06:58 AM
We (not at watch) had a 15 minutes soup break at 10:15 AM in RL :yep:
Couldn't the cook's (or others) comment be limited by a time periode too ?

Webster
10-14-09, 02:04 PM
A great inovation and could be a real plus to add depth and realism, but not if every time you go past the cook he asks if you 'want some' or in the torpedo room the officer asks if you want to play - I hope the devs are aware this could really be a game maker or breaker

Just a thought

R

you mean like that "yay" guy every time your torpedo hits a ship? why he's the most loved guy on our boat :dead:

Brag
10-14-09, 03:31 PM
Maybe the approach to crew speech should be based on scenes and different situations would trigger certain speech paterns.

Like in harbour before patrol, different officers or POs reporting their departments ready for sea.

During a storm
in vicinity of convoy
preparing to attack convoy for 3rd time
Complaints when crew overworked
Cook could complain about shortage of some item
Engineer could inform unable to fix some system

etc

SteamWake
10-14-09, 03:35 PM
All I have to add is

"I saw a mudcrab the other day"

"Nasty creatures"

Anyone who has ever played oblivion will know what Im talking about.

Repetitive nonsensical conversations.

Reece
10-14-09, 09:26 PM
Yes a comment from the Dev team on this would be nice.:yep: I would imagine that they would be quiet unless you clicked on them.:DL

Nexus7
10-15-09, 01:40 AM
Maybe it has been said before but... One of the officially dispatched features was ~"We will make it easier for Modders"... this could also mean that the dialogues are configurable /customizable...

Highbury
10-15-09, 01:53 AM
All I have to add is

"I saw a mudcrab the other day"

"Nasty creatures"

Anyone who has ever played oblivion will know what Im talking about.

Repetitive nonsensical conversations.

"My Friend! How goes the Hunting" if you played EQII

"Live free or die trying!" If you played AoC.

Any RPG has the same thing. People want RP elements in the SH series, they will have to learn to accept repetitive dialogue. So unless the game comes with many many GB of recorded chat, it is what we will get.

I swear some people around here are gonna be in tears when they realize SHV is actually a game and bound by PC technology.

Rapt0r56
10-15-09, 04:57 AM
this could also mean that the dialogues are configurable /customizable... If they made this, a week later thounsands of mods aviable here, where every conversation from SH5 is changed with dialogues from Das Boot.:D
But, and i think this was already sayes in some other threads for me it would important to have different accent's some Nordish some Berliner like!!... :woot:

cxsinsanity
10-15-09, 05:25 AM
I have problems to say it in english, so i post it in german language and include a bad google translation with it. Sorry for that. :oops:

Ich muss gerade an die Fussball Manager von EA denken, die haben zwar nur Text und kein Audio aber ein gutes Tool zum erweitern der Textsegmente liegt dem Spiel bei. Dort kann man Event-Trigger und alles definieren. Wenn man also in SH5 ähnliches machen kann, die Datenbank für die Textbausteine samt spezieller Trigger erweiterbar ist und man diese mit Audiodateien verknüpfen kann, dann sollte es ja möglich sein das zu erweitern. Und damit es einheitlich ist könnte ja jeder der Interesse hat eine "Patenschaft" für ein Crewmitglied übernehmen. So das man eine ganze Fülle von Dialogen bekommt. Und die Original Audiodateien könnte man dann ja von der Person auch neu sprechen lassen damit wirklich alles einheitlich ist.

I have to think just at the football manager of EA, which might only have Text and no audio but a good tool to expand the text segments is at stake. There you can define event triggers and everything. If you can do so in SH5 similar, the database for the Text blocks, together with special trigger and one that is expandable Audio files can associate with, then it should indeed be possible for the enhance. And so it is uniform could indeed, each of the interest a "sponsor" for a crew member take over. Thus, the one a whole Abundance of dialogue gets. And could the original audio files can then are discussing the new person also can ensure that everything is uniform.

THE_MASK
10-15-09, 06:34 AM
I would image that the dialogue would be customisable . Just add new dialogue for a crew member and add actions and triggers .
Captain//
Speech/// You know where you can stick that soup .
Actions // Punch cook > Trigger / speech = Cook / Would you like some soup sir

GoldenRivet
10-15-09, 06:35 AM
its my opinion that the crew dialogue in SHV will consist of little more than basic chit chat.

each character capable of dialogue will have just a few basic interactions.

I had always envisioned that the interactions would be similar to those we have seen in Half Life 2

when you walk up to another character and hit the space bar they would say something relevant to the situation or story line.

i think we can expect something similar in SHV

each interactive character would have a hand full of sentences - and to prevent repetition they would simply stop interacting with you for 30 minutes or so after a certain number of interactions had taken place.

I think we can expect characters to express

happiness, concern, fear, frustration and a few other basic "emotions" for a given situation... but nothing deep.

i expect that most of the crew will just occupy their time writing letters, reading books, playing cards or napping etc.

if we even get that much i think it would be awesome!

Kaleun_Endrass
10-15-09, 06:42 AM
die Audiodateien könnte man dann ja von der Person auch neu sprechen lassen
That sounds easier than it is - much easier. The quality of the records would be different for every crewmen. Most users only have some crappy condensor microphones attached to their AC97 audio adapter. I wouldn't want those voice records at all.
We would need real studio records and here lies the difficulty.

cxsinsanity
10-15-09, 06:45 AM
true :(

Kaleun_Endrass
10-15-09, 06:47 AM
I think we can expect characters to express happiness, concern, fear, frustration and a few other basic "emotions" for a given situation... but nothing deep.
If our beloved dev team would have the resources and time (i think the ambition they have) then they would spend huge effort in motion capturing sessions like the devs of OPF2 did and we would see something new every day....

GoldenRivet
10-15-09, 07:09 AM
If our beloved dev team would have the resources and time

Aye there is the rub

on the one hand... us customers dont want to wait until 1Q 2013 to have a playable demo in the works

on the other hand we want a game that seems like it was 6 years in development.

the balance has to be struck, and i have full confidence in the dev team to strike that balance.

the Dev team and Ubi has taken two very useful lessons...

first, Silent Hunter 3, was a well received master piece despite a few shortcomings it was modded into something that has lasted a good 4+ years on nearly every hard drive it was originally installed on.

I cant say that for ANY other game i own except flight sim X - and i have a library of games on the shelf that have come and gone over the years... but SH3 has held the top spot on my hard drive since release.

Secondly, Silent Hunter 4... fresh out of the box, was pretty much a flop, and i dont think it had quite the fan base or cult following that SH3 enjoyed... it was just too "gamey" and not enough "simmy" and i think that though it DID open up the genre to a lot of "young blood" i also think it did a lot to alienate some of the hard core subsimmers. SH4 probably lasted 2 weeks on my hard drive.

armed with that information, if Ubisoft can use these lessons properly... i think that SH5 is probably going to be developed into the subsim which all subsequent subsims in history are compared to.

Platapus
10-16-09, 04:20 PM
I think a good solution to soup-itis would be to code the cook only to inquire about the soup when the player clicks on the cook.

Don't wanna hear about the stupid soup? Don't click (make eye contact) with cook.

Grothesj2
10-20-09, 04:21 AM
An interesting thing would be to have some of the idle chit chat speech as the war progresses. Early war conversations might have the crew talking about the victories. France falling and specualtions on chasing french women or what ever. As the war goes on maybe have some crewman talk about his parents house being bombed, hopes that Japan will attack Russia. Late war talk about the "wonder weapons" or how far the Russians were from Berlin or when would the Allies would come across the channel.

JScones
10-20-09, 05:20 AM
Maybe the devs could date-base the speech files, so that modders could create different speech files based on date (ranges). Much like what SH3Cmdr does in regards to changing files based on user-defined dates, and what SH4 does internally for ship skins.

The speech could be idle chit chat but with some relevance to the period that it applies to.

At least some variation then.

EDIT: Just noticed Grothesj said essentially the same thing!