PDA

View Full Version : a NEW problem. video card hijinx

Sledgehammer427
02-25-09, 07:05 PM
hello again, fellow listeners.

I got my new video card
(ATI Radeon HD 2400 with 256 on card)
today, and the whole thing is acting up (thing being computer)
there was no power outlet (only a free 2 pin slot, the fan on card already was plugged in)so that struck me as strange. Also, the card is AGP and the drivers on the site are for PCIe

problem is, it wont play any of the games that worked fine on my ATI X1600.
they all complain about directx (trying to fix right now) or being unable to "create render device"

I'm so confused. my pc is awfully troublesome.
I hope I didnt mess anything up...
OH! speaking of which, when I plugged in the monitor cable into the card, i saw something flash near the card (no static, id be dead or in cardiac arrest) and it (card, pc and everytthing else) acted fine:-?

EDIT: if need be, i can provide a list of games i am trying to run. I'm too scared to try MOH Airborne, i dont want to see another game go down the drain

AVGWarhawk
02-25-09, 08:14 PM
You got me confused. You removed the old card and placed in the new card, same slot yes? There was a disc to load a driver for this card in the box, no?

Reece
02-25-09, 08:22 PM
I would have thought the X1600 was faster, I had an X1950 and have upgraded to a HD4850, though I haven't checked it out I would have thought the HD2400 rather old, maybe I'm mistaken!!:yep:
What I would have done is to uninstall the old ATI drivers and installed the new ones supplied with the card as AVGWarhawk suggests, or download the latest.:salute:

AVGWarhawk
02-25-09, 08:33 PM
Might be right here Reece. I think the 2400 card is like a watch TV type card. Might want to check that out Sledge.

Sledgehammer427
02-25-09, 09:27 PM
it is for gaming too.

okay
it came with a CD, I uninstalled the old Catalyst Control Center and let the card install the new(er) one.

IL2: 1946 is for now the only game that works.
I had ATI Tray Tools on my pc before. I forgot to remove it before i installed the new card, I shut the PC off before I left, soI'll check it out when I get home

CaptainHaplo
02-25-09, 10:28 PM
Run DXDIAG and see what the video tab shows you - is acting like directdraw or direct3d isnt working right by the sound of it.

Sledgehammer427
02-26-09, 06:56 AM
you are right, catainhaplo, it says

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

so there it is, thats the problem.
and it says gaming on the box more than watching tv.

AVGWarhawk
02-26-09, 08:41 AM
google those failure you show there and see what it comes up with. Also, there should be some tech support via phone with you documents that came with the card.

NeonSamurai
02-26-09, 05:31 PM
His card is alright for gaming (wouldn't expect much with agp and that card though) http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd2400/specs.html

Anyhow think I solved it for you. It seemed to be a driver issue with ATI, they released an agp hotfix for 2000 and 3000 series cards.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

as far as i understand the hotfix is drivers (so no installing drivers after it).

Another solution is to try the 3rd party omega drivers and see if that works

http://www.driverheaven.net/windows-xp-2k-radeon-display-drivers/152136-radeon-omega-drivers-v4-8-442-windows-xp-2k.html

If none of that works then you may have a defective video card.