PDA

View Full Version : SUBSIM's Jutland review

Onkel Neal
02-05-09, 02:24 PM
Jutland Review (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/Jutland/jutland.php) by AVGWarhawk

The campaign aspect of Jutland has been done quite well and is without a doubt the core of the game. U-boats and Zeppelins are at your disposal to assist in scouting out the enemy if you prefer to command the German task forces or divisions. There is a lot more to this game than simply managing battleships. Plan your task forces and make them ready to put to sea. Have the ships lay mines or sortie to the enemy's port. Beware, there are coastal batteries and are quite accurate when they get a bead on your ships. The player must be aware of fuel capacity and distance needing to be covered. Return your ships to port for repairs and refuel.

Jutland Review (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/Jutland/jutland.php)

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/Jutland/Jutland_CG-@Blue6_156_seconds.jpg

Good hunting!
Neal

Bullethead
02-05-09, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words :yeah:

For those coming here from the link on the review, I just wish to emphasize that the water color in the screenshots there was set that way by the reviewer to his personal tastes, using one of many in-game sliders to affect water and lighting effects. If your tastes differ, put the sliders in other positions :)

AVGWarhawk
02-05-09, 04:21 PM
Yes, Bullethead is correct. The player can make an many changes in the water color and action as to their hearts desire. One of the many great features of the game. :up:

As a side note, after work today I continue my campaign. My first major encounter and commanding 60 some odd warships, I came out victorious! As my task force steams home, another task force sent out 3 days prior got drummed into the ocean. Retreat was the better part of valor in this battle.

Bullethead
02-05-09, 09:08 PM
As a side note, after work today I continue my campaign. My first major encounter and commanding 60 some odd warships, I came out victorious! As my task force steams home, another task force sent out 3 days prior got drummed into the ocean. Retreat was the better part of valor in this battle.

Congratulations and condolences, I guess :). Hope the butcher's bill came out in your favor at the bottom line.

AVGWarhawk
02-05-09, 09:23 PM

Congratulations and condolences, I guess :). Hope the butcher's bill came out in your favor at the bottom line.

I was spanked mercilessly and limped home with my remaining vessels that could muster steam and plug a hole or two or a dozen:-? The AI were tricky. I was blasting smaller destroyers with my dreadnoughts but out of the mist came the German dreadnoughts. I was already licking wounds with the DD battles. My number was up when the big boys came steaming out of the misty night. My planning will consist of joining my forces from several ports and making a run like none ever seen! There will be so many ships one could walk across the channel on them!:D Diabolical? You bet!

Bullethead
02-06-09, 09:57 AM
I was spanked mercilessly and limped home with my remaining vessels that could muster steam and plug a hole or two or a dozen:-? The AI were tricky. I was blasting smaller destroyers with my dreadnoughts but out of the mist came the German dreadnoughts.

Ouch.

As the Brit player, you should try hard to avoid capital ship engagements in bad weather or at night. The main Brit advantages are numbers, bigger guns with longer range, and a higher overall fleet speed. You should attempt to use your higher fleet speed to stay at a range where you can shoot but the Germans can't, and pound the HSF with 13.5" and 15" shells. Save the 12" ships for finishing off any cripples the Germans leave behind, until, over the course of time, you have whittled the Germans down considerably.

AVGWarhawk
02-06-09, 10:13 AM
Yes, I'm learning the hard way. It was tricky of the AI. The small warships were the bait. Out of the night mist came the big boys with a bone in their teeth. In short, I was caught with my pants down:-? The tables were certainly turned for the worse. Extremely fun this game:up: Range is great but I like in hour face battles!

Lempereur1
02-10-09, 10:11 PM
Heres an excellent screen of the battle of Jutland late in the evening.
http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/images/Subsim_Screens/Jutland_eve_Explode_01.jpg

ReallyDedPoet
03-09-09, 07:53 PM
Nice review Chris :yep::up:

I have not played a game such as Jutland, at some point
in time I may have to give it a go.

alexsmith
06-24-09, 12:25 PM
The game seems to be designed to look - not to play...

Task Force
06-24-09, 01:05 PM
yep, jutland is a vary good game.:up: Gets realy intresting when you get 100 ships in a battle.:yep:(and alittle confuseing. lol)

Raptor1
06-24-09, 01:21 PM
The game seems to be designed to look - not to play...

What do you mean by that...?

alexsmith
06-24-09, 01:32 PM
I mean - everybody is so exited about screenshots - but what about gameplay itself? Interface? Camera control? Seems like nobody cares about anything but look...

alexsmith
06-24-09, 01:40 PM
Actually, I might be a little wrong - I shouldn't write to Jutland's theme, forgive me. I'm not interested in Jutland - only DG, but what is concerning about it should also take place in Jutland - cause they're on common engine now...

Raptor1
06-24-09, 01:50 PM
Gameplay itself is great, one of the most realistic and overall best naval sims/strategy games in quite a while IMO. Whether you like the interface or not is subjective, but it works quite well...

alexsmith
06-24-09, 04:52 PM
Good for you...