PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Know Bullethead

Bullethead
01-24-09, 01:37 PM
Howdy All-

Because I'm new here, I figure I'd better not only introduce myself better, but put some general info out here that might answer some questions....

1. What I do at SES
I made the campaign map, researched and put in all the weapons and ship data, wrote all the scenarios and campaigns, got Norm to include various features I thought were necessary, and tested everything to death. So if you have troubles with any of the above stuff, I'm the guy to complain to.

I am not a programmer, nor am I in tech support. As such, I probably can't be of much help answering that sort of question. If you're having a problem I've heard of before, I can repeat what I know about it, but I can't guarantee results. For real help, send in a bug report via our server, or look in the tech support topic of our official forum.

2. Reporting Bugs
If you look in your Start\All Programs\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder, you'll find a link to report bugs. Hit this and your browser will go to our bug server. You can fill in a text description of the problem(s) and attach files to your report.

In the main \Program Files\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder, you'll always have log files: game_log.txt, diagnostic_log.txt, and update_log.txt. Also, if a campaign crashes on you, in the \Jutland\data2\saves folder you'll probably see saved games with the .DBG (debug) extension. Send in any and/or all of these files, depending on what type of problem you had. And if you're having trouble with a saved game, send in the most recent save before the problem occurs.

NOTE also that the bug report server allows you to select a category for your message. One of the categories is "SUGGESTION". IOW, you can use the bug server to ask for new features, changes to existing features, etc.

3. Official SES Forum
I'm not trying to steal you all away from here. I'm just pointing it out because pretty much every question you all might have about various aspects of Jutland (contents, modelling, bugs, newbie mistakes, the DRM, etc.) has already been asked and answered there, usually several times, often by yours truly :). There's also a download area there with user-made content (scnearios, sound mods) and a budding MP club.

So once again, here's the link. (http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245)

4. Meeting Folks for Multiplayer
There's a fairly large group of guys from the official forum who use XFire (http://www.xfire.com) to play Jutland. They're from all over the world so no matter what time you look, you'll probably find a few of them in XFire. Look for the Jutland chat. Go in, say hi, and see if you can get a game going.

XFire is a free match-making and communications system that allows multiple, simultaneous chats with both text and vox while playing Jutland. It also has a video capture system. If you want to use XFire, however, 1 caveat. DO NOT LAUNCH the game from the button in XFire. Instead, start Jutland normally from your desktop--the XFire communications stuff will still work that way.

There's a sticky thread in the official forums that has XFire contact info for quite a few people. Add them to your friends list to see when they're online.

5. Docs and Tutorials
Some folks can't find these things, so here's where to look.... Start\All Programs\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland. This folder has links for the PDF manual plus an intro tutorial on the control system and how to use the scenario editor. Also, in the download section of our official forum, there's a tutorial scenario I made on how to turn a BB squadrion while simultaneously shifting the DDs from close-in ASW screen to surface action position.

6. About Me
I've been working for SES for about 2.5 years now. All my efforts so far have been on Jutland, but I'll be working on our up-coming upgrade for our RJW game very shortly.

I've been in the computer wargame industry about 20 years. I started with the original DOS version of Harpoon in the late 80s. Since then, I've worked on Paul Shaffer's "Raider Operations", "Fighting Steel", and also did some time with Battlefront on the 2nd "Combat Mission" game (Barbarrosa to Berlin).

I'm an ex-fireman, ex-lawyer, ex-engineer, ex-oilfield hand, and ex-repo man, but always a Marine. I fought in Desert Storm with CBR/10thMarines/2MarDiv. Otherwise, I've led a fairly normal life :). My non-gaming hobbies included homebrewing and flint knapping.

Lempereur1
01-27-09, 09:15 AM
Bullethead is an expert on WWI Naval Warfare.

He know' s his salvos, and has test fired over 10,000 (no kidding) individual salvos in Jutland, measuring splash patterns, damage, etc.

Dont let him kid you.

We are here to expand our game user base. We also hope some of our regulars from Gamesquad will stop in here each in additon to other stops.

Almost all of our current customers cant get enough of this stuff, i.e. forum talk, etc.

Jim Rose

dc1962
04-06-09, 06:41 PM
We were at 10th Marines at the same time. I was in Camp Swampy from 1988-1992, mostly in 1/10 and then at regiment--HQ Battery.

Bullethead
04-07-09, 11:20 AM
We were at 10th Marines at the same time. I was in Camp Swampy from 1988-1992, mostly in 1/10 and then at regiment--HQ Battery.

Semper Fi :).

Were you in HQ/10 for Desert Storm? If so, then we probably met somewhere along the line, because I was CBR/HQ/10. I was with the reserve CBR mob attached about a month before we deployed. What platoon of HQ/10 were you in?

Was it 1/10 and 3/10 that deployed first and spent the whole time stuck on boats out in the Persian Gulf? I can't remember exactly who was where because 10Mar was such a hodgepodge back then. IIRC, it was 2/10, 2/14, 3/12, 4/10, and 5/10 actually on the ground, with both 4/10 and 5/10 reinforced with elements of 4/14 and 5/14.

dc1962
04-07-09, 08:35 PM
I was in HQ Battery before DS. I had been a battery XO and drafted up to be in the S-1 shop :(. I went over as the Arty LNO with then 2d LAI, now LAR. There is a good chance we met as I was very interested in CBR. It impressed me as a great capabilitiy and one we did not fully understand until the war. Thanks for your service and making a game that sucked me in all day last Sunday!

Bullethead
04-08-09, 09:03 AM
I was in HQ Battery before DS. I had been a battery XO and drafted up to be in the S-1 shop :(. I went over as the Arty LNO with then 2d LAI, now LAR.

I buy drinks for anybody who was in 2nd LAI back then. :()1: They saved our bacon bigtime during the battle of Al Wafra. My team of CBR went out with 2/10 to do a raid one night, with nothing behind us for like 60 miles and only 2nd LAI keeping us company. The raid never happened, though, because we met an Iraqi armored brigade coming the other way. :eek: 2nd LAI had just enough TOWs to make them pull back just before it became a very short-range direct fire situation. :rock:

There is a good chance we met as I was very interested in CBR. It impressed me as a great capabilitiy and one we did not fully understand until the war.

Well, I was just a corporal so we probably weren't drinking buddies :har:. I was in one of the TPC teams sitting in the corner of COC next to the S-2. My team spent most of its time with 2/10--we only came back to HQ/10 every week or so to resupply.

I know what you mean about not knowing what CBR could do. These days, everybody expects our high-tech weaponry to work perfectly from seeing it on TV so much. But back then, it was always 1 scandal after another about expensive toys that didn't work. Everybody, even us who used it, figured CBR was the same and it frequently happened that when setting up the COC, they forgot to leave a place for us. That lasted right up until the 1st time HQ/10 got shelled and CBR put a stop it most ricki. After that, they built COC around the TPC :D

dc1962
04-08-09, 07:07 PM
I was a 1st Lt, so I had even fewer drinking buddies at a regimental headquarters full of senior officers! I was happy to get back to 2nd LAI and Marines.

There is a new short history about the Battle of Khafji by the Marine Corps Historical Branch. I helped them obtain access to captured Iraqi records that told the story as well from the Iraqi side. If you have a mailing address, I get a copy sent to you. You might find it interesting.

Bullethead
04-09-09, 08:54 AM
There is a new short history about the Battle of Khafji by the Marine Corps Historical Branch. I helped them obtain access to captured Iraqi records that told the story as well from the Iraqi side. If you have a mailing address, I get a copy sent to you. You might find it interesting.

That would be great! I'll PM you. Thanks.