PDA

View Full Version : Oil the video card cooler ?

Contact
01-13-09, 12:20 PM
Recently my pc went noisy :) I know it's a cooler I'm just not sure which one: CPU or video card. But I'm giving 90& for video.. So I want to know is there any specific oil for coolers or can I use a drop of car oil ? :lol:

AVGWarhawk
01-13-09, 12:35 PM
Find out what fan is making the noise. Replace that fan. Some GPU companies have replacement fans for their cards.

Contact
01-13-09, 12:37 PM
I think it would be enough to clean out the dust and oil the axis of the cooler if possible ?

antikristuseke
01-13-09, 12:41 PM
You can try that, but in most cases when a fan becomes noisy its bearings are shot and it will need replacement. But cleaning never hurt anything so try that before looking for a replacement.

AVGWarhawk
01-13-09, 02:02 PM
Oh yes, clean first. If you want to try the oil route us what is called WD-40. It is light weight. Any hardware store carries WD-40. Then again, were you live my not have it. So, a light oil I would suggest.

Contact
01-13-09, 02:21 PM
Then again, were you live my not have it. So, a light oil I would suggest.

:rotfl: You're not talking to africa here ;)
Well I got rid of the noise, this was a video card cooler who made it, so now fan is cleaned and oiled, sounds like new :up:

AVGWarhawk
01-13-09, 02:53 PM
Good deal

Contact
01-20-09, 04:37 PM
oh well.. Oiling the cooler was a good idea for a few days, now the noise is back.. I'm really starting to think about getting a new cooler :shifty: