PDA

View Full Version : Date/Time woes...

rifleman13
01-12-09, 06:09 AM
Hello to all!

I've been using my old rig for the past year with minimal problem. I shut it down to clean out my PC. This message appeared when first I boot up:
CMOS Checksum Bad
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Overclocking failed Note that I haven't been attempting to overclock anything on my rig... video card or processor, nothing. :shifty:

Then I restarted to see if the settings took effect... it did!
Not satisfied I decided to do a cold reboot to check if things really worked... IT DID NOT! :damn:

I'm at loss on what to do and with today's economy, I'm not about chuck out cold hard currency just to see a tech guy...

Could someone help me? :huh::dead:

My specs:
P4 2.00 GHz
Windows XP Pro SP3
1280 MB RAM
ASUS P4V800D-X MoBo
Seagate ST380021A 80GB HD
GeForce 6200

Reece
01-12-09, 06:53 AM
I would say your battery is stuffed, they only have a life time of a few years, just check your motherboard, should have a 3volt battery about 1" in diameter and 1/16" thick, like a large watch battery, just take it out & replace it.:yep:

rifleman13
01-12-09, 06:58 AM
Hey thanks! :rock:

CaptainHaplo
01-12-09, 07:33 AM
Reece is dead on - this occurs when the battery on the mb fails. Your local radio shack or pc shop is the best place for getting one of these. Once its back in, go into the cmos (bios) and reload the defaults (or optimized settings) and tweak as needed. Then save the configuration.

To get there, when you first boot up - you will see it says hit _____ for Setup - the key is usually the DEL key, F1 or F2 - depending on the mb.

With the dead battery, the old config has been lost and your running the safe defaults for now.

She-Wolf
01-12-09, 11:00 AM
I agree - battery. Should be a simple job. :D:up:

longam
01-12-09, 04:44 PM
Yup agree, and the ASUS board usually is set by default to overclock to best performance of your type of CPU and Memory.