PDA

View Full Version : Monitor flickering

bert8for3
12-04-08, 09:02 AM
My Samsung SyncMaster 216BW monitor is flickering, and I'm not quite sure what the problem is, so could use some advice.

The flickering, which is faint but noticeable, is on the horizontal all the way across the screen, and all the way up/down.

I've looked to update the monitor driver, but the Samsung site doesn't show any updated drivers for the 216BW. I've also taken a look at the Nvidia config settings, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like a likely adjustment.

Any ideas?

Wolfehunter
12-04-08, 01:13 PM
Could be a soldered contact is busted or on its way to doom. You'll need to get it to a repair shop.

If you have warranty on it then you don't pay nothing. Just find the local Samsung repair shop for Monitors in your area. Contact them for the details.

This happened to my NEC FE991SB years ago.

Goodluck dude.;)

bert8for3
12-04-08, 03:57 PM
@WH. Thanks, I'll get it checked out.

Reece
12-04-08, 06:58 PM
Yes it will in 99% of cases be the EHT, could be as simple as moisture in the air, adding to dust creates mud:doh: & the high voltage starts to leak, if your game you could unplug it, take the cover off & carefully vaccume it, this has fixed that type of problem in many CRT monitors I've had to repair.:yep:
Edit: Sometimes you can hear the leak as a hiss, turning the lights out you may see the leak, then shine a torch on the spot for identification, this would have to be done with the cover off, but beware of HIGH VOLTAGES!!

longam
12-04-08, 10:00 PM
One other thing you could check real easy is to make sure you don't have any large speaker close to the monitor, and run the degaus to demagnetize the tube.

Loud_Silence
12-05-08, 03:15 AM
Sometimes CRT monitors are reset to weird refresh rates by screen properties. Check that you refresh rate is 60 or 75 (depends on the monitor) and not something like 85 or 62

bert8for3
12-05-08, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry, I should have mentioned it's an LCD monitor.

One thing I did look at was the refresh rate setting. Nvidia config only allows me 60 and 59 (?) Herz settings, which seems a bit odd.

I have the identical monitor at home, with no problems (not that that means anything and it's a different vidcard there anyway). That one's on the digital cable, this one's on the analog cable 'cause it connects to my laptop which only has the analog serial connector. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Reece
12-05-08, 06:40 PM
Ah!! not familiar with the actual model, I just read "SyncMaster" and assumed a CRT, you should not have any problems, if it's under warranty I would take it back otherwise certainly get it checked out, must be like Wolfehunter said or an insulation breakdown on one of the components, some get very hot.:yep:

bert8for3
12-06-08, 09:44 AM
Tks Reece :up: . I think also before I take it in, I'll bring it home and hook it up to this pc just to see if it behaves any differently. If it's still the same that should definitely mean it's the monitor.