PDA

View Full Version : Hot Server

Philipp_Thomsen
11-22-08, 07:03 PM
So, I'm a IT employe at a logistics company.

Yesterday they bought a new server.

Dell.

32 processors
256gb ram
30x 300gb harddisks.

The motherf*cker virtualizes 13 servers at the same time, 6 for SAP, 3 terminal servers with 50 users on each, one for internet, one for email, one for files and other for database.

You guys have no idea how fast gwx loads up on that baby... it's a matter of seconds... it's unconciveble. :o

Wolfehunter
11-23-08, 12:06 AM
Hehehe so this is now your second home to play SH3?:rotfl:

What to do with all that power...;)

Zachstar
11-23-08, 02:54 AM
I STRONGLY advise NOT to play ANY sort of video game on that server!

These servers cost tens of thousands and are highly tuned. To install GWX you had to install SH3 to put SH3 on you had to install STARFORCE!!

You do know people have been fired and even prosecuted for "Playing" with the server?

CaptainHaplo
11-23-08, 10:27 AM
As a fellow IT pro I gotta agree that playing on this box is a bad thing. However, since I am a gamer at heart, I admit I would have tried the same thing!

One thing - I did something similiar years ago for a company I was with, and the CIO was NOT happy with me over it. However, I had a ready excuse. What I was doing was actualy a form of security testing. The person charged with auditing the machines rotated in our company on a regular basis - and it was missed for 2 cycles. Thus my "game install" was nothing more than a simple test to demonstrate where certain security policies involving both physical access and auditing were flawed. The CIO bought it....

You might at least however want to run a starforce removal tool to get that mess off the machine.

Task Force
11-23-08, 04:10 PM
Id love to have a machine that has those specs.:lol: So did you see how it runs?(fps wise)