PDA

View Full Version : RAID array question

Etienne
11-14-08, 12:09 PM
My laptop has two hard drives in a Raid 0 array. This morning, it started telling me that the harddrive in port two is "An error has occured" (Excuse the grammar, but that's what I get under Status... ****ing French windows)

Is there anything I can do? At least to find out what the problem is?

Right now, everything seems to be working fine, except for the omnious error message... I'm on a ship for another 10 days or so, so dealing with Tech Support is not a very attractive idea right now.

Thanks.

Etienne

Etienne
11-14-08, 07:06 PM
For what it's worth, when the computer comes on, Intel Storage Matrix Manager says that certain data request have gone unanswered, and that I should back up ASAP.

Monica Lewinsky
11-14-08, 08:12 PM
First of all,
Don't panic [yet]. Get that DARN laptop backed up ASAP with a drive image program like Norton Ghost or Noton Partion Magic.

ANYONE living under RAID0 without a fool proof backup program is living under DANGER. If either one of those drives goes belly up, you are in DEEP doo doo to recovering data from a total crash of the hard drives without some of DARN GOOD backup program.

Get that machine backed up FIRST, and TEST the backup program by seeing if you can get through the Recovery process FIRST without hitting the final "GO" button for total recovery.

I have NO INTENT of giving you grief, but all these people BRAGGING about their RAID0 high speed and how great it is makes me laugh on how DANGEROUS Raid0 is without a FOOL PROOF backup program.

Etienne
11-24-08, 04:23 PM
Update: I cleared the alerts and never heard a pip from either drive since...

But then, I also have a brand new copy of Norton Ghost and a LaCie external drive (They've gotten a heck of a lot cheaper!) so... Not so much with the panicking now.

Thanks.

Monica Lewinsky
12-03-08, 09:38 PM
Update: I cleared the alerts and never heard a pip from either drive since...

But then, I also have a brand new copy of Norton Ghost and a LaCie external drive

Hey bubba, do yourself a favor. Try a practice run of restoring from scratch. That is the ultimate test that everything is A-OK. Proceed through all the steps but the FINAL that starts the restoration by writing files to your hard drive.

A President Reagan thing - TRUST, but verify.