PDA

View Full Version : Stripped down Windows 7

Onkel Neal
10-23-08, 11:49 PM
Hee, finally MS gets it.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/152657/microsoft_sets_the_stage_for_windows_7.html

Microsoft is preparing for the 2010 (or earlier) launch of Windows Vista's successor, touted as a faster, stripped-down refresh of the much-maligned OS.

I mean, christ, I need 2 GB of RAM just for operating system?:shifty:

Thread for the future HW/SW forum

Zachstar
10-24-08, 12:01 AM
I am forced to used Vista on my next PC build due to OpenGL failing on the market. I have already spent hours trying to unload the crap that came with a dell the parents bought.

I am thinking about ditching the shell it comes with altogether and going with BlackBox for Windows for it too.

I am afraid. No telling what Vista nightmares lay ahead for me. Yet I know I will have to do serious studying so I don't unload something critical.

bookworm_020
10-24-08, 12:03 AM
After copy the look of the Apple OS for the last Windows, they have finaly realized that the bloatware know as Vista is carring to much weight around.

If they can slim it down, make it stable and user friendly, I'll buy it. But till then, I'm sticking with XP

BTW Has anyone seen a preview of Windows 7, and if so, can you give some feedback on it?

Hylander_1314
10-24-08, 12:07 AM
Well it' about dogone time!

I guess they finally figured out that the people who buy their products aren't too pleased with what they've been offerring.

Reece
10-24-08, 02:06 AM
Well thats that Hylander, I just have to hold on to XP Pro now, that's good news Neal.:yep:

FIREWALL
10-24-08, 02:43 AM
IIRC MS promised the world prior to Vista being released. :roll:

It seems to me MS wants to sweep Vista under the rug and push their Latest and Greatest , Super Duper POS OS.

To B Gates mindset, The roobs are just about ripe for the plucking.

Skybird
10-24-08, 05:12 AM
I see it when I believe it. Their PR reputation I would not rate as the most trustworthy around. They want to sell it what they produce, no matter if it is good or bad. That is the context within which all press releases have to be read.

McBeck
10-24-08, 05:24 AM
This is no new strategy...its been there prior to Vista.

Vista is a stepping stone to Windows 7, because the changes are so major.

The core of Windows 7 is no more than a promt - just like in DOS

Old, but still worth a read:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/win7_minwin_inside.asp

Raptor1
10-24-08, 05:32 AM
I do hope that they finally learned that OS' should not interfere with whatever you're running on them

@bookworm, the Windows 7 alpha versions should show up soon at MSDN or MS conventions (As had Vista/Longhorn), we should get some insight into it then

goldorak
10-24-08, 05:54 AM
Hee, finally MS gets it.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/152657/microsoft_sets_the_stage_for_windows_7.html

Microsoft is preparing for the 2010 (or earlier) launch of Windows Vista's successor, touted as a faster, stripped-down refresh of the much-maligned OS.

I mean, christ, I need 2 GB of RAM just for operating system?:shifty:

Thread for the future HW/SW forum

Ram is pretty cheap these days, and frankly buying a 32 bit operating system in 2009-2010 you're in for a world of hurt. The way to go is 64 bit os.

Hanomag
10-24-08, 09:30 AM
Can It run SH 3? :hmm:

The rest is hooey!

XP 4TW !!!

SteamWake
10-24-08, 09:44 AM
I am forced to used Vista on my next PC build due to OpenGL failing on the market. I have already spent hours trying to unload the crap that came with a dell the parents bought.

I am thinking about ditching the shell it comes with altogether and going with BlackBox for Windows for it too.

I am afraid. No telling what Vista nightmares lay ahead for me. Yet I know I will have to do serious studying so I don't unload something critical.

Thats what reformats are for :smug:

2 Gigs of ram is pretty much standard these days :|\\

Im avoiding vista as best I can. Our office is local networked with mostly xp machines, the two vista machines absolutly refuse to recognize the network exists :damn:

Hylander_1314
10-24-08, 10:05 AM

Im avoiding vista as best I can. Our office is local networked with mostly xp machines, the two vista machines absolutly refuse to recognize the network exists :damn:

That's because the XP machines have not been assymilated. :)

Diopos
10-24-08, 10:08 AM
Rule of thumb: Skip one OS.
Now I'm on XP. I never considered vista. I will be interested when they come up with the next new thingy.
The real headache is for people using puters professionally with official/registered superprogramms etc. May the force, God and Allah be with you! :yep:

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 01:07 PM
What they should do is make a affordable gamer windows version. :up:

If this Version 7 windows is streamed down like it says then thats as close as we get to one...;)

I will buy it if its good.:D

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 01:09 PM

That's because the XP machines have not been assymilated. :)Actually i found vista is a bully and a sore looser to owning the networks. It likes to rule over the rest... If it doesn't get its way its say no...:p

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 01:09 PM

That's because the XP machines have not been assymilated. :)Actually i found vista is a bully and a sore looser to owning the networks. It likes to rule over the rest... If it doesn't get its way its say no...:p

GlobalExplorer
10-24-08, 01:31 PM
What I said from the beginning. Running XP just fine. The only thing that bothers me a little is the issue with 4GB RAM (only 3.2 recognized).

Bye bye, Windows Me II.

GlobalExplorer
10-24-08, 01:34 PM
Ah btw, this time Microsoft won't announce or hype their new OS very much. Otherwise no one would by Vista in the mean time. Windows 7 will come over us like a storm.

And I actually think it will be pretty good this time around.

goldorak
10-24-08, 01:36 PM
Windows 7 is Windows Vista Second Edition.
You hate Vista ? You'll hate Windows 7. :p

GlobalExplorer
10-24-08, 01:47 PM
Nevermind, I don't need that crap anyway.

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 05:09 PM
Windows 7 is Windows Vista Second Edition.
You hate Vista ? You'll hate Windows 7. :pWell I used to hate XP when it came out. I hated ME before that and my only reall favorite was 98.

I didn't really like 95 because I prefered PCDos then.

So for Vista ya I hate some features but hey like its predecessors you can turn options on or off. So I'm sure windows 7 I will hate too then I will like it when its works right.:up:

Reece
10-24-08, 07:21 PM
You are probably right Wolfhunter, the best time to buy though is after the first service pack has been released.:yep: The most upsetting thing is that there is no compatition, all game are made to run in the windows environment, so there will only ever be windows, a shame though, with competition quality would be better & price a lot lower, this is why I have an AMD/ATI system, Intel may be faster but can you imagine if AMD had to fold up, well I'd rather not!!:doh:

Blacklight
10-24-08, 07:38 PM
My question is this. XP is a good OS ! Why mess with a nice, fairly compatable and stable OS to put a new, bloated piece of crap one on the market !?! Why not just keep XP and add the support for the new and upcoming hardware to it instead of constantly dumping new OS's on us all the time !

Task Force
10-24-08, 07:54 PM
Anouther way for MS to get money out of people. Everyone and there brother is gona rush out and get it, and find out it is no better than what they had, just prettyer.:yep:

fatty
10-24-08, 08:22 PM
My question is this. XP is a good OS ! Why mess with a nice, fairly compatable and stable OS to put a new, bloated piece of crap one on the market !?! Why not just keep XP and add the support for the new and upcoming hardware to it instead of constantly dumping new OS's on us all the time !

Because then nobody would make any money.

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 08:32 PM
My question is this. XP is a good OS ! Why mess with a nice, fairly compatable and stable OS to put a new, bloated piece of crap one on the market !?! Why not just keep XP and add the support for the new and upcoming hardware to it instead of constantly dumping new OS's on us all the time !Its good now. When XP came out many hardwares were not compatible like DDR memory. SDRAM worked fine but I had so many clients bitch when the newer DDR memory didn't work. Especially the dual channels when they first appeared.

Many blue screen lol. SP1 fixed alot of stuff.

Many people forget these things.

I like XP it works very good. But I hated it when if first came out. It was a plague for hardware compatibility.

I used to preach that I would never switch from 98 sec to xp. Well that was a lie to myself then.:damn:

Everything released today sucks, everything release 10 years ago sucked and 10 years before that too... sucked at first. That is the way of the computer world dudes. These laws never changed since the 23 years I have tinkered with them.

I doubt it will change in the next decade.:rock:

Blacklight
10-24-08, 11:25 PM
Everything released today sucks, everything release 10 years ago sucked and 10 years before that too... sucked at first.

I don't ever recall DOS sucking though. I always thought that it was pretty darn rock solid. I loved DOS and miss it actually, especially DOS 6.

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 11:41 PM
Everything released today sucks, everything release 10 years ago sucked and 10 years before that too... sucked at first.

I don't ever recall DOS sucking though. I always thought that it was pretty darn rock solid. I loved DOS and miss it actually, especially DOS 6.Earliest Dos I've owned was version 2.1 I still have them and the box plus uber books. I can't seem to toss them into the can. I missed those days too. I used to make my configure floppy disk for each game so it ran purfectly...:D

Anyhow I wasn't talking about dos but Microsoft....

I still have windows 3.0 and 3.1 somewhere in my storage. :lol:

Reece
10-24-08, 11:58 PM
I don't like piracy but sometimes I don't blame people for doing so, have you looked at the price of the Retail Vista 64 Ultimate, ranges between $500 & $800! It was bad enough with XP but this is rediculous!:nope: Maybe I could mortgage my house!:yep:

silentrunner
10-25-08, 12:25 AM
I don't really care what Micro$oft claims anymore. I will never install one of there os's again. Really the only reason I can see for anyone to use Windows is if they are a hardcore gamer, and since I am not. I will stick with a good Slack:rock:

Reece
10-25-08, 12:57 AM
Earliest Dos I've owned was version 2.1 I still have them and the box plus uber books. I can't seem to toss them into the can. I missed those days too. I used to make my configure floppy disk for each game so it ran purfectly...:D

Anyhow I wasn't talking about dos but Microsoft....

I still have windows 3.0 and 3.1 somewhere in my storage. :lol:
What about good old cp/m, concurrent dos, machine and assembly language, those were the days, if Digital research had taken the IBM PC seriously things would be a lot different now!;)

Onkel Neal
10-28-08, 08:17 PM
Addressing another complaint about Vista, Microsoft said Windows 7 will be faster and need less memory to run. Vista generally needs costlier hardware configurations than the older Windows XP.

Sinofsky held up a "netbook" -- a low-cost, low-power laptop that would have a hard time running Vista -- and said it's working with Windows 7.

Microsoft to unveil test version of Windows 7
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech/10/28/microsoft.windows.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech/10/28/microsoft.windows.ap/index.html)

CaptainHaplo
10-28-08, 08:49 PM
Its a cosmetic change mostly - stripped down - yes - but to what end. Its a Vista kernel without all the useless crap that was designed for users who couldnt spell "PC" - but its real purpose will be to run web based software. End result - a very robust PalmPilot type "portable" OS.

Don't expect this to be a great gaming OS folks. It is being "built" on an established kernel, so it should be SOLID - but depending on how feature stripped they make it, it will likely be less than game friendly in most of its "versions".

Like with Vista, there will be "flavors" - at least Home and Pro as there was with XP. And like with XP, and with Vista - the lower version will be more limited in features and capability.

This is designed really more for the business market at this point - the idea being going back to central architecture - "web based computing", "Running in the cloud", etc - are all terms that ultimately make the "pc" more and more into a dumb terminal. Expect a new version of server side sftw with this as well - geared toward serving those cloud terminals with the applications.

If your going to game with this - just like with Vista - your going to want to go with the full featured version- aka Ultimate under vista. I am not saying its going to be a bad OS - just that its purpose is not going to best serve the Power Gamer under most conditions.

CaptainHaplo
10-28-08, 08:54 PM
Wolfehunter nailed it.... I am an old DOS dinosaur myself - started out like that. Fact is DOS had its gaming issues. Remember copy con config.sys just to make something work right? How about tweaking IRQ and DMA settings manually just to get that Soundblaster, clone, or Turtle Beach card working right? DOS was great in many ways - but for those of us who worked it for years - it was nowhere near perfect either!

With that said - I will admit - thank the powers that be for DosBox!!!!!

Wolfehunter
11-17-08, 07:47 AM
Wolfehunter nailed it.... I am an old DOS dinosaur myself - started out like that. Fact is DOS had its gaming issues. Remember copy con config.sys just to make something work right? How about tweaking IRQ and DMA settings manually just to get that Soundblaster, clone, or Turtle Beach card working right? DOS was great in many ways - but for those of us who worked it for years - it was nowhere near perfect either!

With that said - I will admit - thank the powers that be for DosBox!!!!!Yup I remember my dad dropping off the old IBM PC jr. Was the best give a 12 year old boy can have.:up: I had no manuals no training... Just common sense and trial and error by my side.:rock:

I remember cracking my first config.sys files. Man that was the happiest time in my life.

I'm actually looking forward to the new windows 7. If it is only the basic OS and no crap then I can put what I want in it just fine.:hmm:

If thats what their intending on making.:)

longam
11-17-08, 11:09 AM

With that said - I will admit - thank the powers that be for DosBox!!!!!
I always wanted a Turtle beach card but could never afford it.

On the subject at hand, Vista has some issue but most were drivers, they are fixing other bugs now and then and will continue to as time goes on. It reminds me when win2k came out. It was the next platform from NT and gawd did it have issues, but 6 Service Packs later and they fixed it. Coming out with XP they created more issue but fixed it with 3 service packs. As far as Vista being bloatware, you can turn off the fancy stuff if you like, but it was designed for a more robust system.

Zachstar
11-17-08, 11:57 AM
Vista is designed for people who do not know how to use a computer well at all.

And frankly you had 2 decades (Dos games were out in force by '88) to get ready so if you do not know how to use a PC effectively by know. You need to go to the local branch of the library and read up.

After you disable all the BS services, the help bloatware, The fancy themes and all that.. XP and Vista are actually nice OS systems. (Especially now that gaming is basically extinct again on Linux) Yet so far is has become a nightmare to disable them on Vista and that is what is killing it.

Windows 7 has to make it easier to run bare bones. System, Anti-Malware, Drivers, Shell.