PDA

View Full Version : AVG8 - killing processes

bert8for3
07-12-08, 05:01 AM
Does anyone know how to shut down the AVG8 processes?

I like to shut down (after yanking the internet cable) my AV and other unnecessary processes before starting up SH3 in order to max out available RAM.

I've now gone back to AVG7.5 (which turns out is supported until end of the year), 'cause I just can't shut down the AVG8 processes (which incidentally have a much bigger RAM footprint than 7.5).

The little nasties are avgrsx.exe, avgemc.exe, avgwdsvc.exe.

I huff, and I puff, but blow as I may, they won't go away. Or, esp in the case of rsx, it comes back like an unwanted direct marketing call.

I also use FSAutostart, but the AVG8 processes don't even show up in the FSA list.

kiwi_2005
07-12-08, 06:08 AM
have you tried pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del keys then under the processes Tab shut them down - Just click on them and click 'End Process' tab

Jimbuna
07-12-08, 06:38 AM
Actually, I've recently noticed this on my daughters computer....looking forward to any suggestions.

bert8for3
07-12-08, 07:36 AM
have you tried pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del keys then under the processes Tab shut them down - Just click on them and click 'End Process' tab

Yup, have tried that. Just can't kill them via either Task Manager or FSAutostart (where they don't show up at all).

Win XP has some sort of other services/processes utility IIRC. I was going to give it a try, but I'm danged if I can remember what it's called. It's not dxdiag ... something else. EDIT/ADD: So now I've just remembered ... msconfig. Not sure if that'll do it, mind you, and gotta re-install ver8 to find out.

Malefactor
07-12-08, 09:46 PM
While I have never used AVG8,it most likely loads those processes via system services.If you have administrative priveleges on that user account,or can log on to an account that does,you should be able stop or disable any ,or all of those processes.

This can be done with Services section under Administrative Tools.

If it is not showing in the Program menu and you do have administrative priveleges on that particular user account,it can be displayed by right clicking Start menu button,Classic Start menu,then Customize.

peterloo
07-13-08, 10:51 AM
I don't think you can kill that process with task manager or any convectional means. That is a safety measure to prevent virus or worms from shutting down the antivirus engine deliberately

danlisa
07-14-08, 03:49 AM
Either use MSCONFIG to kill the startup process or use the Services management within XP - Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.:up: