PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some Computer Tech help Please

FIREWALL
06-23-08, 01:11 PM
Hi All :D Hope you all can help.

I have a HP Pavilion\ Altec Lansing laptop.

When I go to turn it on I get the Windows blackscreen with the, Start Windows Normallly, Last known Config, ect. ect.

It then goes to the Windows xp with the little lite bar . So far so good. then I get a blue screen with this.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
It ic corrupt, absent, or not writable.
Beginng dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator
or technical support group
for further assistance

Then it cycles back thru the same thing over and over.

Any ideas how I can fix this ?

I Thank You all for any help.

Am standing by. :D

DeepIron
06-23-08, 01:55 PM
Your Windows install is hosed... Try this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

Otherwise, reformat your hard drive and re-install Windows... Hope you have/had a backup or your important stuff...

SUBMAN1
06-23-08, 01:58 PM
Try your last known good configuration. The Hive is your registry. A restore point might save you, otherwise, your are completely screwed. Sorry to tell you that.

You might be able to load the Hive offline and re-save it, but good luck!

-S

SUBMAN1
06-23-08, 02:07 PM
One more thought - try fixing data corruption on the driver with a chkdsk /f or /r

I'm guessing the most likely reason however for this failure is likely due to hardware failure on the drive itself. the chkdsk /r option may get it working again. You'll need to do that from a repair recovery screen however.

Modern hard drives of the IDE flavor are designed for cheap manufacture unfortunately. Where SCSI or the older MFM RLL type drives needed to be made perfect, IDE drives are not. Instead IDE drives incorporate what is known as S.M.A.R.T. technology and are designed cheaply with cheap not always perfect platters. What the drive does with smart onboard is that it has a fail-over platter in with the normal platters. As parts of your original platters fail, it fails to the fail over platter. How much has failed over is recorded by SMART and that is how it knows the integrety of your drive. A drive with poor integrity has a lot of crap loaded on the fail over platter and is likely to fail completly.

Just a little bit of worthless knowledge for ya!

-S

PS. SMART screws up from time to time too!

FIREWALL
06-23-08, 02:23 PM
Hi Guys and thx for responding.

As it was cycling thru I noticed in bottom left corner a choice of F-2

Clicked it and got a blue screen with

" Insert disk labeled "Windows Automated System Recovery Disk into floppy drive.

Will that help ?

SUBMAN1
06-23-08, 02:30 PM

" Insert disk labeled "Windows Automated System Recovery Disk into floppy drive.

Will that help ?You need to get to a command prompt outside of one requiring the registry to see if you can repair the disk. Boot your original XP CD-ROM in the drive and it will have an option for that.

-S

FIREWALL
06-23-08, 03:05 PM

Will that help ?You need to get to a command prompt outside of one requiring the registry to see if you can repair the disk. Boot your original XP CD-ROM in the drive and it will have an option for that.

-S
Tried that with original 6mo old hdd and new hard drive.

It ran thru some fies then said "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. :huh: ????

FIREWALL
06-23-08, 07:48 PM
I was kinda hopeing I might get a fix here.

I guess I'll have to take it to the shop.

Thank's again for trying to help. :up:

em2nought
06-23-08, 08:09 PM
I'd try burning an Ultimate Boot Disc, using it to reformat, and then install your operating system before I'd go and pay somebody. Did that on a friends hosed computer that was sort of stuck like this.

SUBMAN1
06-24-08, 12:44 PM

-S Tried that with original 6mo old hdd and new hard drive.

It ran thru some fies then said "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. :huh: ????That is because you need a driver disk to get your HD's online - you have a non standard controller, like a RAID or so.

-S

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 02:46 PM
I can only get into the meager bios.

It won't let me use any cd;s I have.

I can only get into the bios and it says "SYSTEM BOARD ID 30A6"

Wolfehunter
06-24-08, 03:04 PM
Almost starting to sound like a hardware issue.

Did you update the bios firmware? Is your laptop new or old?

If new bring it back and get it fixed or exchanged.

If old then you maybe out of luck if some controler chips are fried if you can't see HDDs or CDs.

Or you changed something in the bios settings and removed the HDD as an active device.

in your first post it looks like corrupt HDD. Scandisk can work if you have an old 98 sec floppy boot disk.

Try here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Or try your luck with HP

http://welcome.hp.com/country/ca/en/support.html?pageDisplay=support

Good luck dude.

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 03:23 PM
Hi Wolfhunter :D

It won't let me post.

I can acess the computer.

The only thing it will let me do is open the meager bios.

Btw it is 1yo.

Wolfehunter
06-24-08, 04:05 PM
Hi Wolfhunter :D

It won't let me post.

I can acess the computer.

The only thing it will let me do is open the meager bios.

Btw it is 1yo.

First off what do you mean you can't post?
HP website?

Do you have a antivirus or firewall and or Spybot running to help your system stay clean?

you can try this software from MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

Download it and run it. Some times this works better than Norton but takes forever.

Do you still have warranty 1 or more? If so then you can get service, Call them,

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Call them below in the contact #. See what they say or do online chat.

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 04:28 PM
Hee Hee Lets see if I can make this Clear.

When you push the ON buttom all you see is a blackscreen with HP invent and in the bottom left corner :

press <esc> to change boot order
press<F10> to enter Setup <F12> to boot from Lan

for 20 seconds then blackscreen with a - in top left corner.

Thats it.

SUBMAN1
06-24-08, 04:33 PM

When you push the ON buttom all you see is a blackscreen with HP invent and in the bottom left corner :

Thats it.Hard drive or IDE controller failure. Check the cables on the HD and make sure they are secure. Also listen to see if it even spins up. Second thing - go into the BIOS and load the defaults. If you get no HD detection with the defaults selected, then well, you're screwed! :D :p

-S

Wolfehunter
06-24-08, 04:50 PM
What options do you have in your bios?

Try to find a menu in your Bios that has Boot Devices.

In that try to see if your HDD and CD rom drives are active. If not then activate them in boot order CD/DVD then HDD if possible.

In your Main menu you would see if any devices are working. If not they're may be a problem.

1) Wiring are loose.

2) Device is fried

Or just give me the model number and I'll try to find something for you reguarding the bios on HP site.

If you look at the Bootdisk.com and try the repair you disk. Using CHKDSK or Scandisk program from the downloadable files.

If the repare doesn't work. Then you will have to FDISK and then Full Format.

Did you get a recovery disk from HP? Normally that would work. But you said before you can't see CD/DVD drive?

Wolfehunter
06-24-08, 04:51 PM

Thats it.Hard drive or IDE controller failure. Check the cables on the HD and make sure they are secure. Also listen to see if it even spins up. Second thing - go into the BIOS and load the defaults. If you get no HD detection with the defaults selected, then well, you're screwed! :D :p

-S:lol: damb you where faster than me hehehe.:up:

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 05:00 PM
quote:Check the cables on the HD and make sure they are secure

It's a Laptop.:D

Hang in there with me guys.

Btw I'm on another Laptop talking to you right beside the broken one. :D

Wolfehunter
06-24-08, 05:10 PM
quote:Check the cables on the HD and make sure they are secure

It's a Laptop.:D

Hang in there with me guys.

Btw I'm on another Laptop talking to you right beside the broken one. :DGood swap hardrives and see.

Transfer the HDDs and test it. or if you have a external compact portable USB HDD case then you can test it too.

bigboywooly
06-24-08, 05:25 PM
Usually a laptop HDD is accessable from underneath
Usually a cover with a screw
My laptop the HDD has no leads but pushes into a connector

Has been known in the past to work loose
Taking it out and putting it back has cured that

Not saying thats your issue but thats where it is :up:

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 05:45 PM
Usually a laptop HDD is accessable from underneath
Usually a cover with a screw
My laptop the HDD has no leads but pushes into a connector

Has been known in the past to work loose
Taking it out and putting it back has cured that

Not saying thats your issue but thats where it is :up:

That post was for SUBMAN1 BBW.:D I think he thought I had a desktop.

Tchocky
06-24-08, 05:47 PM
You've got a HP 9000 series, FIREWALL?

I vaguely remember an old thread :)

Anyway, the HDD is fairly easy to get at, the panel with the disk platter symbol on the left underside. Sounds like a corrupt HDD to me, anyway.

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 06:04 PM
You've got a HP 9000 series, FIREWALL?

I vaguely remember an old thread :)

Anyway, the HDD is fairly easy to get at, the panel with the disk platter symbol on the left underside. Sounds like a corrupt HDD to me, anyway.

Hi Tchocky:)

v8000 SERIES

I've swapped out the hdd for a new one.

I;m thinking it;s the chipset in the mobo.

It won't POST and won't accept any software EXCEPT floppy boot disks from external floppy drive.

Wolfehunter
06-24-08, 07:45 PM
v8000 SERIES

I've swapped out the hdd for a new one.Right now or before your laptop stopped working properly?

I;m thinking it;s the chipset in the mobo. Very high possibility your right.

It won't POST and won't accept any software EXCEPT floppy boot disks from external floppy drive.You mean it won't load any installed software.

It could be your HDD is finished. The only way you can find out is transfering it to another laptop.

Or It could be the IDE controler on your motherboard. Something caused it to fry.

Last but not lease you could check your bios to see if you see HDD in the main menu. If you do see the hardrive then its working and may be just corrupt otherwise you have to test it on another computer to see if its working.

Under your laptop what is the exact model number shown pls.

example, dv8005EA or zd8002AP

McBeck
06-25-08, 02:44 AM
Yup....dead HW. Most likely the MB

FIREWALL
06-26-08, 02:04 PM
Am going to swap the HP HDD into my Fujitsu laptop and see what happens.

It should settle the hdd issue once and for all. :D

Things never go easy or cheap for me. :damn: :rotfl: :damn: :rotfl: :doh:

SUBMAN1
06-26-08, 05:23 PM

Things never go easy or cheap for me. :damn: :rotfl: :damn: :rotfl: :doh: Welcome to what is an overly complicated life.

-S

FIREWALL
06-26-08, 05:44 PM

Things never go easy or cheap for me. :damn: :rotfl: :damn: :rotfl: :doh: Welcome to what is an overly complicated life.

-S:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Am swapping now so will be down for awhile.

Will post results.

Wolfehunter
06-26-08, 08:05 PM
:up: May the force be with you.

Arclight
06-26-08, 10:02 PM
Maybe I'm missing something and this is a stupid remark, but did you check the boot device priority in the BIOS? If you want to install OS from a CD, your CD/DVD drive should be at the top of the list. If the HD is SATA, you're also gonna need floppy / CD with a driver. When you start Windows setup, it says you should hit F2(?) to install a SATA / RAID driver, it will only recognize such HD's after that.

And yeah, sounds like wasted or corrupted HD. :cry:

FIREWALL
06-26-08, 10:48 PM
Tested hdd on my other laptop. It's works fine.

I had a bad feeling it was the chipset.

Now it's time to pick a place to repair it.

As is usual in my world, it's just out of warrenty.