PDA

View Full Version : [REL] bug correction floating IXD2

hoarmurath
03-31-08, 05:26 AM
nevermind

maerean_m
03-31-08, 07:36 AM
The "put on water" parameter of the Hydro controller is only used when it's being initialized (that is while the player sees the patrol loading screen), to set the boat as floating on the water.

After the initialization of the controller, the mission file or the load file tells the boat how deep it's in the water.

In short, it's not that.
PS: take a look at Balao also, it too has that parameter set to false.

vickers03
03-31-08, 08:57 AM
there was a mod for pitch/roll of the
subs in the works, but it was given up.

try this instead:

..edit the sim.cfg located in data\cfg
change this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2
Waves attenuation=0.75

into this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.5
Waves attenuation=0.03

these are the values from SH3 and look much better.

Rockin Robbins
03-31-08, 09:18 AM
The ROW guys fixed that! And of course Pacific Environments by kriller2 handles it very well. And the W_clear's new Environmental Mod fixes it too.

These great mods also fix dozens of other issues too. And they work well with SH4UBM.

vickers03
03-31-08, 11:13 AM
If you are really interested into modding how subs behave on water, you can add other float connectors, like there was in SH3, where there was four of them. And it work, you can have a sub actually following waves even though it is not put on water in the .sim file. The only problem is that it had an interesting side effect on the foamwave on bow.

now that's interesting, maybe you can make a mod with
this added parameters to test?:hmm:

i still recommend using the values i showed above,
as they make for a more realistic wave behaviour
for subs and surface vessels.

dcb
03-31-08, 02:58 PM
Three days trying to figure out why this damn sub wasn't pitching have learned me a lot about how the sim handle it.

Did you happen to find what parameter controls the depth at which the game considers the sub as submerged and shuts the conning deck camera off? In large waves it's annoying to always be sent inside when the sub reaches 8 meters depth for 1 or 2 seconds. I would like to increase this depth to, say, 10 meters, even with the risk of seeing the conning tower briefly go under.

dcb
04-01-08, 12:16 AM
The problem i see if doing this is that in calm waters, your men will probably stay on the conning tower even when it is submerged.

Not at all. It's called running decks awash and it was done in reality. It's perfectly feasible at 8-9 meters, especially in a IXD2 with its high conning tower... in SH3 and in reality. In the add-on you can't do it any more, because at 8 meters the sub automatically switches to the submerged state, cuts off diesels, sends watch crew down and cuts off the deck cam view.

swdw
04-03-08, 10:59 AM
DCB- the submerged value is in the individual submarines.cfg file.

hoarmurath- interesting discovery. I'll have to look at that for the draft and dive rate mod.

I will add though that this is not the only value affecting the way the sub floats in the water. The GC or geocentric center is adjustable and affects rolling and pitching also, as it does on a real submarine.

My one concern with changing the float value is how does it affect the ability of the submarine to drive to the surface with flooding or engine damage?

Such changes need to be tested thoroughly and under various conditions to ensure there are no "surprises"

Thank you for sharing the information, I'll be investigating this too. Great job!

dcb
04-03-08, 01:18 PM
DCB- the submerged value is in the individual submarines.cfg file.

Thanks swdw, but no, it's not there. I noticed that value as well, but it has no effect. It has no effect even if I change it in the submarine.sim file. To test it, I changed both values - in the .cfg file and the surfaced draught value in the .sim file - to something like 20 and still no go. At 8 meters deep the crew leaves the bridge and the conning bridge cam switches off.
It's driving me crazy, I can't find where the surface depth value is stored:damn:.

Ducimus
04-03-08, 08:06 PM
there was a mod for pitch/roll of the
subs in the works, but it was given up.

try this instead:

..edit the sim.cfg located in data\cfg
change this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2
Waves attenuation=0.75

into this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.5
Waves attenuation=0.03

these are the values from SH3 and look much better.

Did you test for exploding ships?
Are fishing boats, san pans, and life rafts sinking quickly?
Are the people on the decks of above mentioned ships dying?
Batteries recharging correctly?
O2 not being replenished as a result?
Test AI detection and how much its been compromised as a result?

When i first got SH4, this was one of the very first things i did, and unless somethings changed in patch 1.5 - cases a host of problems with the game. Its not the magic bullet your looking for. At least, not without addressing a big heap of other problems that go along with it.

basilio
04-04-08, 02:06 AM
I'm also thinking about the possibility to add a wake and a foamwave on the conning tower when water hit it, there is none on the IXD2 at the moment, and i would like to have this effect.
Yes please :up: and if you could also add a wake to the periscope.......;)

vickers03
04-11-08, 01:25 AM
Did you test for exploding ships?
Are fishing boats, san pans, and life rafts sinking quickly?
Are the people on the decks of above mentioned ships dying?
Batteries recharging correctly?
O2 not being replenished as a result?
Test AI detection and how much its been compromised as a result?

When i first got SH4, this was one of the very first things i did, and unless somethings changed in patch 1.5 - cases a host of problems with the game. Its not the magic bullet your looking for. At least, not without addressing a big heap of other problems that go along with it.

i'm too using these values right from
the start and never experienced the
problems you mentioned in normal to
medium sea conditions.
but i do agree that it needs testing
for rough seas. with all the different
environment mods now which alters the
sea states it's hard to tell if it
works out for everyone.
values like this should not be given out
without a warning.