PDA

View Full Version : Interested in 1.5 from a US perspective only.

tomoose
03-24-08, 05:19 AM
I'd like to get the add-on but am not interested at all in the U-boat aspect just the Pacific (I'm quite happy with U-boats in the Atlantic, as with SH3).
Having said that, what advantages is 1.5 bringing with it in regards to the US side? If there's nothing extra with the US stuff should I just stay with 1.4?
I know the add-on is not a lot of bucks but my setup/mods/tweaks etc for my US campaigns are working great and I'd rather not 'undo' all that if 1.5 is not going to improve anything so to speak.

Any and all advice is welcome.

thanks,
:up:

Torplexed
03-24-08, 06:37 AM
Having an older system as I do I've found #9 on the 1.5 read-me has helped quite a bit.

9. Game loading time has been greatly reduced though dynamic loading.

It does seem to be firing up quicker. :cool:

AVGWarhawk
03-24-08, 08:36 AM
There are new textures for the Pacific boats. Performance of the game has improved. My game has gotten more stable also. New icons for your activites when patrolling. Keep in mind the two major mods for 1.4 are basically not going to be supported anymore for 1.4. RSRD is going to 1.5 as well. Lurker said it was just to much work to handle both 1.4 and 1.5. With that in mind, most if not all will be migrating to 1.5 with modding. Furthermore, there are modders working on a Atlantic campaign for the uboats. Last, purchase the game and help support the genre' so we all can enjoy this type of simulation down the road.

rodan54
03-24-08, 08:59 AM
There are new textures for the Pacific boats.
Care to post some shots of said textures.........please. :D

wetwarev7
03-24-08, 09:06 AM
There are new textures for the Pacific boats. Performance of the game has improved. My game has gotten more stable also. New icons for your activites when patrolling. Keep in mind the two major mods for 1.4 are basically not going to be supported anymore for 1.4. RSRD is going to 1.5 as well. Lurker said it was just to much work to handle both 1.4 and 1.5. With that in mind, most if not all will be migrating to 1.5 with modding. Furthermore, there are modders working on a Atlantic campaign for the uboats. Last, purchase the game and help support the genre' so we all can enjoy this type of simulation down the road.

I think this is the main reason to get it even if you aren't planning on doing the U-baot part. Think of it as a mod upgrade. :up:

And it loads a lot faster on my machine as well.

Factor
03-24-08, 09:22 AM
i wasnt interested at all in the Uboat campaign, but still purchashed the upgrade. ( whats ten bux anywayz) i fired up the uboat missions just to play around, now, i cant get away from them. :doh: havent been on the US side now for about three weeks, lol.

AVGWarhawk
03-24-08, 09:30 AM
There are new textures for the Pacific boats. Care to post some shots of said textures.........please. :D

You can see the new icons in the upper righthand corners. These are a reminder of what your orders are or what your sub is doing. These are clickable as well. Overall, a much better visual impact then the original. The best part for me was the performance enhancement.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/avgwarhawk/SH4Img2008-02-28_185130_407.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/avgwarhawk/SH4Img2008-02-28_185117_142.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/avgwarhawk/SH4Img2008-02-28_185111_610.jpg

Bewolf
03-24-08, 10:44 AM
Don't forget the much better equipment and torpedo screens. Finally you get descriptions to both torps and equipment. Makes life so much easier.

TDK1044
03-24-08, 01:47 PM
Do what I did. Get the Add On. Install TMO, and ignore the U Boats until a full Atlantic campaign is available. :D

rrmelend
03-24-08, 03:15 PM
Do what I did. Get the Add On. Install TMO, and ignore the U Boats until a full Atlantic campaign is available. :D
I think this is the best advice I've seen and when I actually get time to get on my computer at home (probably this weekend) I will be doing just what you said.

Torplexed
03-24-08, 07:17 PM
Yeah...that probably is good advice. When playing a U-Boat based in Penang I got a mission to deliver supplies to Manila. Manila? Is there a German embassy or consulate there short on sauerkraut? I just dunno....:nope:

rodan54
03-25-08, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the pictures AVGWarhawk. The new look of the menus is definitely an improvement. :)

Though when you said "new textures for the fleetboats" I thought you meant new skins for the actual subs, lol.

howler93
03-25-08, 03:06 PM
I'd also recommend the add-on for the "crew abilities" that can be purchased or earned. Although a little "gamey," as an old RPG fan, the new abilities add a nice element. For example, you may be able to add an officer to your boat that enhances its dive time, or loads torpedoes faster, etc... A small addition, but a very good one in my mind. And, like others have said, your purchase will send a clear message to developers of sims like these :yep:

Cheers,
Howler :arrgh!:

p.s. also there are whole new limitations on how you can crew your boat. Limits on how many officers, and the pool from which to choose from is far smaller...adds to the realism...

AVGWarhawk
03-25-08, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the pictures AVGWarhawk. The new look of the menus is definitely an improvement. :)

Though when you said "new textures for the fleetboats" I thought you meant new skins for the actual subs, lol.

Sorry Rodan, it does look that way when I wrote it.