PDA

View Full Version : Add-on won't install.

Herodotus
03-21-08, 10:59 PM
I purchased the Retail copy of U-Boat Missions today. I had had to reformat my HD recently so SH4 was no longer on it. So I re-installed my retail-bought copy of SH4, patched it with the 1.4 patch then tried to install the Add-on. It started patching to 1.5 then I got this indecipherable error message basically stating that some file was un-executable and the installation failed. I then tried just running SH4 but it wouldn't run at all. Was it because I had not run the game before applying the patch then the add-on or should I install over a clean un-patched copy of SH4? I'm at my wit's end and Ubisoft's FAQ doesn't cover this (and their Message page is down). Any help would be great. These are Retail copies purchased from game stores with no Mods installed either.:damn:

THE_MASK
03-21-08, 11:02 PM
Install SH4 then the addon . The addon contains all patches . Do not apply any patches . Install SH4 and the addon only . The addon is patch 1.5 which is cumulitive . You dont heed to add any patches .

Herodotus
03-21-08, 11:11 PM
Okay. It's just that the Readme for the add-on states that it willl only patch from 1.1 on not 1.0.
Just tried the whole thing again and gotthe same Error Message: "Cyclic Redundancy error" or something and the whole process is halted and I'm booted from the install. And this seems to occur in the Patching process. I get past the patching, then heaps of new stuff isinstalled, get to probably 99% installatiion then this redundancy error in Data2 apparently. Can't get passed it. Then of course I can't even run SH4. What a disaster.

maerean_m
03-22-08, 12:36 AM
"Cyclic Redundancy error" means the dvd is scratched and the drive can't read the information on the disk.

Herodotus
03-22-08, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the info. Bad copy I guess (it is brand new), just there doesn't appear to be any marks on the disc and the retailer doesn't see one and of course he knows everything. I'll probably get refunded, though the experience puts me off getting another copy to possibly see the same thing repeated. Lot to be said for difital download. Anyway, thanks again.:up:

Herodotus
03-23-08, 08:12 PM
"Cyclic Redundancy error" means the dvd is scratched and the drive can't read the information on the disk.
I know there are sometimes lamination affects or "invisible" scratches, but this is the third copy of the expansion I have tried with the same result. This last is from a different batch as well and so it has me and the Store Manager scratching our heads. I have a very beasty machine with all new drivers and no problems with the original patched right up to 1.4. Guess there's always the possibility there are a couple of bad batches...or it is a sublime message not to have the expansion. Thanks again.

maerean_m
03-24-08, 06:39 AM
As it says on the back of the box, the anti-piracy measures may conflict with some DVD drives or "fake dvd" tools (like Daemon Tools). I bet you have something like that installed.

My advice is to copy the contents of the disk to a temporary folder on you hard-drive and launch the setup from there. I bet it will work (worked for me for a couple of games).

PS:
Even if a game requires the original disk to be inserted in the drive (not the case for SH4 UBM), there is nothing forcing you to install it directly from the dvd.

mino
03-24-08, 07:21 AM
yea,,do one of two things:

copy all to a folder from dvd as said, and run from that

Or take the dvd bacvk, they must at least ofer exhange,,but best to go to another location, and get another dvd

its true that some dvds drives won't/dont read the CP right, (like mine, waiting to get another,,took it right out!)

how did I get all my sh3 and 4 without even a dvd drive,? an electronic downoad from D2D

btw-they have the exp pack for like 9$ and a download instead of dvd is another option...

good luck

ANTARES
03-24-08, 03:43 PM
You have a bad .CAB extension file that won't expand on the disk which is causing the error. Contact Ubisoft for a replacement disk!

AVGWarhawk
03-24-08, 06:45 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290

This may help also.