PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch

Janus
02-20-08, 09:26 AM
Who owns one of these (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723641&node=home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch)?

I never even contemplated getting an Apple product as they are very expensive and extra accessories are also ridiciulously expensive and most of the time have to be bought separately.
But an iPod touch may be worth it once the next generation hits the market what would hopefully drop price of this one.
I would like to use it as an improved PDA for taking notes, music and so on (I don't need a phone in it).

There are already 2 versions of it on amazon. One without a software update and another (more expensive) one with a software update. In the user comments of the second one it says that the software update you can get from Apple costs 20$ or so which is exactly the thing I mentioned above :roll:
And what is also very annoying to me: you have to buy the music for it via iTunes. Or can you just copy MP3 files you already have on your PC to an iPod (touch)?

danlisa
02-20-08, 09:36 AM
The iTouch is a nice bit of kit and has all the functionality of the iPhone (minus voice).

It works just like an original iPod, in that you can transfer music & video (MP4) that you already own directly over, using iTunes. Content does NOT have to be purchased via the apple store.

The built in browser works well and is easy to use as is the wireless connectivity.

My advice, pay extra for the updated version, if you can't wait.;) Otherwise, wait a while, the price will drop a lot.

Etienne
02-20-08, 12:40 PM
I've had one since November. It rocks. The interface is easy to use, and the screen is night unscratchable. I haven't tried, but there's a video on youtube.

I got the software update the other day - It essentially installs a bunch of software from the iphone that weren't available on the touch. It's worth it, but you could also get it illegally.

If you have a gmail, yahoo or something (Not msn) account, you can check your mail right from the ipod. The browser works well, with the zoom feature and all, and there's a direct youtube access.

Stuff doesn't have to come from the iTune store. But they make it really easy for you to spend money :-D.

I'm seriously in love with the thing. If you need an iPod, go for it. It's great for going online on the go, too.

But I wouldn't count on it too much for taking notes. The keyboard is effin's small... But then I guess it's bigger than a cell phone's.

Janus
02-20-08, 01:06 PM
But I wouldn't count on it too much for taking notes. The keyboard is effin's small... But then I guess it's bigger than a cell phone's. I've read in one of the customer reviews that you cannot take notes directly but have to create the notes on a PC and then synchronize them with the iPod, is that true?

Well I'm glad to hear that you don't have to use itunes exclusively and can use "normal" music instead.

I want to use it as a MP3 player and for Getting Things Done, that's why it would be important to be able to take notes directly and not just synch them with a PC or so.

My advice, pay extra for the updated version, if you can't wait.;) Otherwise, wait a while, the price will drop a lot. Yeah, I am going to wait till it's price drops.

I've read you can easily synchronize with MS Outlook, but what about Thunderbird or any other files? How do you configure it? The files are exchanged via WLAN, right?

Etienne
02-20-08, 09:49 PM
You can take notes directly on the iPod with the updated version, and IIRC the previous software didn't have notes at all.

File sharing (Synching) is done by connecting to a pc with iTunes. Wifi only gets you on the internet, checking you email, weather, stock quotes and maps.

(The positioning system, whatever it is, is suprisingly accurate. If there's a wireless signal, it'll position you within about a block. Amazing for a device without a GPS receiver)

As for synching files with outlooks or whatever... I don't know. I don't see anything to that effect right now. Keep in mind that it's an Apple product, so it's more likely to be compatible with Google than with MS products :-D

If you're not familliar with Apples, know that iTune isn't the fascist program some people make it out to be. It's very convivial - The only thing is that it's very easy to spend money :-D

Keep in mind that it's a MP3 player first and foremost, not a PDA. While it is amazing (For those of us who are over 15 years old), it's not yet a standalone computer.

Also, to work in the first place, it must be connected to a computer with iTunes and internet access, to initialize and such. Not a big deal - it takes ten minutes - but if you buy the iPod at a time in your life where you don't have net access (Like I did), then you're...

Janus
02-21-08, 01:42 AM
Okay, thanks for your answers.
The more I read or see about the ipod touch the more I doubt that it is what I would like to have. The touch interface is great but I would feel a bit uncomfortable with iTunes, although it is said to be easy to use; it limits my flexibility if I only could share files with computers that have iTunes :-?

So... what are comparable devices with more office features? I want a calendar, take notes/tasks, maybe music and a phone inside it is unecessary.

Nightmare
02-21-08, 05:19 PM
Okay, thanks for your answers.
The more I read or see about the ipod touch the more I doubt that it is what I would like to have. The touch interface is great but I would feel a bit uncomfortable with iTunes, although it is said to be easy to use; it limits my flexibility if I only could share files with computers that have iTunes :-?

So... what are comparable devices with more office features? I want a calendar, take notes/tasks, maybe music and a phone inside it is unecessary. iTunes doesn’t exactly share your music library in a sense. It’ll allow for other iTunes users on your local network to stream any music in your library to their computer for their listening. This functionality can be turned off. Now, if you want to completely share (file copy) there is nothing stopping you from sharing the music folder that iTunes stores your MP3s via Windows.

Best recommendation is to download it (it’s free) and try it. Don’t like it, then uninstall and then you can rule out iPods as your MP3 player.

Little tip; if you plan on importing your whole library, make sure the ID3 tags are filled (Artist, Album, Song Name, Track Number).