PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Burning Sea - who else is playing?

Tranton
02-08-08, 06:27 PM
I'm a British Naval Officer on Blackbeard server. I LOVE the game. I am curious to see who else from here in playing and where. :arrgh!:

NefariousKoel
02-09-08, 11:50 PM
I'm playing Spanish on Rackham. :up:

Naval Officer at level 45 & I left my Freetrader at level 20 building cannon & gun outfittings for the Society's ships.

Neal was gonna do a review about it sometime in between all his world jetsetting & rockstar-like lifestyle.

Onkel Neal
03-04-08, 04:55 AM
Lol, yes, and that day is approaching soon, Sony sent me a copy of the game, so I will be starting this weekend. See you on the high seas.... :arrgh!:

Skorn
03-06-08, 11:52 PM
Yo...got a 42 British Naval Officer on the Antigua server. Definitely digging it so far! Ship to ship combat is a blast, especially when you group up and take on large groups or do the port battles/contention. However, I despise the avatar combat and I usually skip all of those missions unless the reward is worth doing it for.

:arrgh!:

AJ!
03-16-08, 05:32 AM
It does look like a great game but im not sure if i should buy it or not.

Are there computer controlled ships in this game? I mean can you go round the map on your own fighting the AI and doing missons like other MMO games or do you have to fight other human players?

Raptor1
03-16-08, 07:37 AM
Yes, there are always NPC ships around, and a lot of quests

I play on Bonny as a British FT

Skorn
03-17-08, 09:10 PM
Yeah there's probably about 50 ports in the game and you can get quests from a good number of them if you choose. In addition, there's a constant flow of NPC traffic along the trade routes and naval/pirate patrols around their territory. There's always something to do.

TheSatyr
03-22-08, 09:17 AM
Hate to say it,but after playing through the open beta,the pre-order playing period and a few weeks of retail I cancelled and quit. Just got bored with it.

NefariousKoel
03-22-08, 01:58 PM
Hate to say it,but after playing through the open beta,the pre-order playing period and a few weeks of retail I cancelled and quit. Just got bored with it.

Yeah, I had a blast with it for a few months but I eventually found myself just waiting around for port battles to come along with my Ship of the Line. Those were still a blast but the rest just got repetitive.

Sad to say, because it has a lot that is quite fun.. but really not much to do when you reach the end.:shifty:

SteamWake
03-25-08, 09:30 AM
Ive been playing since release.

Ill be the first to admit the game is not for everyone.

It can be brutal and long periods of bordem marked by moments of sheer excitement.

The economy is a bugger to get a grasp on let alone make a profit. But once you do find a market it is rewarding. Just be prepared for a boatload of fail before you find your niche.

Finding a good society makes all the difference in this game. Without one you will find it boring fast. Furthermore class and nation can have huge impact on your game experience bad or good. Lastley server choice is key. Some of the servers are quite underpopulated and "leave you annoy for action".

For you guys playing on Blackbeard... well sorry to hear that. From what I understand it is populated by alot of 'uber closed beta testers' and your way behind the 8 ball.

Anyhow if your so inclined look me up... Halyard Windwake (Level 33 Free Trader) on Kidd server, Society: "Defenders of the Royal Crown", British (of course).

Raptor1
03-25-08, 12:07 PM
I feel much annoy for not being in a proper society yet, need to find one somewhen...

TteFAboB
03-25-08, 12:55 PM
Let me know when a free trial comes up.

Skorn
03-26-08, 12:11 AM
Let me know when a free trial comes up.

Want a 14 day trial? :)

SteamWake
03-26-08, 11:24 AM
Okay let me do it this way...

I have three buddy keys available which will get you to a free trail.

The client can be downloaded here http://piratesoftheburningsea.station.sony.com/install/

Send me a private message for a buddy key. First come first serve

3 out of 3 left.

Rockin Robbins
03-26-08, 12:29 PM
I'll pass.

tater
03-26-08, 12:39 PM
I was so excited about this til they WoWed the sailing and combat.

Less than interested, sadly. A shame given the beautiful models.

SteamWake
03-26-08, 01:30 PM
2 out of 3 left

Im not going to pass any judgments on the game other than Im enjoying it.

steinbeck
03-26-08, 04:28 PM
This IS an ONline only game, has this been mentioned and it is run through Sony!!

I know this as I let my g/son buy it whilst here with me, I din't check itout just paid for it at 'GameSeek' They have refunded the money, after I explained my problem. (as he was back off to Germany 2 days after).

steinbeck

SteamWake
03-27-08, 02:06 PM
Yes it is a 14 day trial to a subscription based online mmorpg.

One key left.

SteamWake
03-31-08, 11:43 AM
All keys have now been given out.

If anyone got a key from me and did not use it please contact me so I can offer it to someone else.

Thanks all happy hunting :arrgh!:

Skorn
04-01-08, 12:40 AM
Still got 3 trials to give out, drop me a line if interested.

AJ!
04-06-08, 05:35 AM
Im afraid ive given up :dead:

The naval battles are fantastic and really make me want to work my way up through to the bigger ships..... but it just takes too long. I must have put about 25 hours or so into the game and im only level 13.

You practicaly have to give up any free time you have just to get anywhere in the game. I look at the level 50 people going past me in their ships of the line and just wonder how much time they must have waisted to get to that point :shifty:

Also everything else in the game apart from the naval combat is just terrible

tater
04-16-08, 12:14 AM
^^^ given that the naval combat s pretty care-bear, that's a damning review ;)

No realistic sailing.

No detailed damage model.

No penalties at all (no deaths).

Yawn. I was so looking forward to an age of sail game, too.

Rilder
04-16-08, 03:26 PM
I played it a bit, its pretty fun. I got tired of grind though so I gave it up.

Also it does have death penalties, just not that severe, if you lose your ship like 3 times you lose it forever, including the riggings you bought for it.

Might resub one of these days, since eve kinda crapped out on me due to a conflict with my graphics card/its drivers.

TheSatyr
04-17-08, 08:19 AM
Looks like PoTBS is in serious trouble,since they shut down 7 out of 11 servers. I have a feeling this game has failed big time and won't be around too much longer.

Raptor1
04-17-08, 08:23 AM
They're shutting them down because everyone joined those servers they're not going to shut down and not many people joined those other servers (Like Bonny, Which is getting shut down), so they we're pretty empty, they're not shutting them down because the game is a failure

Rilder
04-17-08, 01:21 PM
IIRC Roberts was the hardcore server, my friends from an Eve forum had bought alot of forum drama to that server and its popularity sky rocketed due to the fact it was the "Hardcore server"

Raptor1
04-17-08, 01:29 PM
Roberts is one of the largest servers due to the fact that it's the English speaking EU server (Which is strangely located in the US last I heard...)

Rilder
04-19-08, 12:35 AM
Roberts is one of the largest servers due to the fact that it's the English speaking EU server (Which is strangely located in the US last I heard...)

Its not this that though, I'm pretty Sure Calmdown and Bad Karma bought alot of Americans to that server due to his forum warrioring. :p

akdavis
04-26-08, 11:22 AM
I play as Kenneth Mackay / Pierre Chastain for the French on Antigua (used to be on Bonny). I haven't passed out any of my buddy keys yet if anyone is interested.

The game is definitely not a sim. I would still call the naval combat portion a wargame, although it is teetering on the edge. They could definetly make decisions that would tip the balance from wargame to pure MMORPG with ships instead of elves, but we shall see.

I find PvP to be complex, not too fast-paced and very tactical, so for the time being there is fun to be had.

To the person who spent 25 hours getting to level 13, that is completely nuts. This game is pretty easy to reach 50 in.

Laffertytig
04-26-08, 12:06 PM
i signed up for this game on the 1st day of release and for the 1st couple of months it was a lot of fun but i just became bored with it, in fact i havent played it since early april and i have now cancelled subsciption.

every pirates game i play i base it on the old pirates game by microprose on the amiga. potbs just became a grindfest.
maybe its just a case of me rememberin pirates from when i played it years ago, or maybe potbs doesnt match up im not really sure.

i wouldnt rule out gettin back into it though in a few month when hopefully there will be lots more content.

tater
05-01-08, 04:55 PM
Sorry, with sailing into the wind, no real damage, no crew casualties, there is no possible way you can call it a wargame at any level. If a "spell of windward sailing" ain't "elves" I dunno what is, lol.

Skorn
05-04-08, 11:06 PM
Sorry, with sailing into the wind, no real damage, no crew casualties, there is no possible way you can call it a wargame at any level. If a "spell of windward sailing" ain't "elves" I dunno what is, lol.
Not trying to say the game is perfect by any means here, but if they made a 100% realistic MMO the number of players who would buy it would be less than it is already. As far as sailing into the wind, yeah you can do it but you go *extremely* slow. What type of real damage are you speaking of? You can lose crew (although they do absolutely nothing outside of boarding combat), sails, guns, armor, and structure.

I agree that taking crew casualties should have penalites for your ship handling and gunnery skills. The game could definitely use some work, but I'm afraid it'll be too little too late. They're steadily losing players on all servers.

Travis Reed
01-10-09, 07:55 PM
Not trying to say the game is perfect by any means here, but if they made a 100% realistic MMO the number of players who would buy it would be less than it is already. As far as sailing into the wind, yeah you can do it but you go *extremely* slow. What type of real damage are you speaking of? You can lose crew (although they do absolutely nothing outside of boarding combat), sails, guns, armor, and structure.

I agree that taking crew casualties should have penalites for your ship handling and gunnery skills. The game could definitely use some work, but I'm afraid it'll be too little too late. They're steadily losing players on all servers.

Crew loss does affect your ship's handling and such, but it's not particularly noticeable until you lose 50% or more of your crew.

I did play when it first came out, but quickly became bored of the grind...

Skorn
01-11-09, 11:58 AM
Yeah it did get a little old...I recently took advantage of some free trials to reactivate my account and it's a bit more fun now. It's far easier to get money and within just a week or two I had enough gold saved up for a third-rate all decked out with the finest fittings for all 3 durability plus a few nice frigates. They've made a lot of changes to avatar combat and ship combat as well and you can reactivate for a month without charge, so you might want to check it out if you have any second thoughts.

Laffertytig
02-08-09, 05:04 PM
the problem i have with it is that it just seems like wow with pirate ships and the constant level grind gets old really fast. its no wonder numbers are droppin. wow players are never gonna stop playin wow to join potbs and players like myself who dont like wow end up leaving.

maybe if they tried to be original in they're development of potbs and not just copy wow it would be more successful:up:

Herr_Pete
05-11-09, 04:03 AM
I am back to playing this game now :) Level 50 British Naval Officer on Blackbeard. I go by the name Peter Norrington and I am apart of BB Biggest British Society 'Caribe Rum Runners' .Numbers are on the increase again no doubt to massive changes in the game but i must admit we need something really special to drag people back in the hundreds.

My Drydock:

Invincible 1st Rate
Trinity 2nd Rate
Valiant 3rd Rate
Herculese
Cap MC

Will be removing the cap mc or herculese to make room for the Triumphant 2nd Rate :)

SteamWake
05-12-09, 10:16 AM
I played potbs when it first launche prior to all these nerfs.

Had three charecters and was a part of a large 'guild' which had production out the window.

Within a month or two the 'guild' began to dwindle and about the same time I got bored with it and have never looked back.

The game still stuggles and I browse thier forums occassionally and it seems like nothing has changed over there.

If you want large scale wooden ship warfare I would recommend Empire Total War. While still not an accurate portrayal its a hellua lot of fun and you dont have to play 3 months to afford a 3rd rate.

Highbury
05-13-09, 09:55 PM
Yeah I played from beta until just before the merger (on Bonny), but every time I have checked the forums to see if things have gotten better, it just seems worse.

papa_smurf
06-24-09, 04:55 AM
Did play a while ago, just got bored of the repetition. I was a lvl 50 NO with a Valiant 3rd rate; Defiant and a few other ships.

Kloef
08-05-09, 06:35 AM
This game was fun in the Beta days,before you had to pay every month....they killed the game by making it too easy.

Portbattles was really special,you worked your ass to the bone to get a spot,now the servers are too empty too have enough players....i was really excited about this game,but it got boring within 2 weeks..just ship battles and swashbuckling and nothing else..

Now they have the 2 week trail sceme,i cant get a 2 week trail to take a look at what has changed and maybe start again because i bought the game 1,5 years ago....:down:

What a mess they made of such a pearl of a game,luckily i found East India Company!:arrgh!:

Bribarian
12-20-09, 04:41 AM
Problem with the game was simply the instanced battleground. Takes a lot out of an open sea immersion.

I remember ganking was bad too, 3-4 gankers, with one speedboat tackler, who got you and then you were screwed.

Rilder
11-21-10, 01:26 PM
Just letting you all know this is going free-to-play tomorrow. :arrgh!:

tater
11-21-10, 05:05 PM
And worth every penny?

Seeadler
11-30-10, 10:37 AM
Just letting you all know this is going free-to-play tomorrow. :arrgh!:
It's now F2P (with some limitations)
http://www.burningsea.com/page/home

halcyonskys
09-04-12, 10:22 AM
I played this game for a couple of years, but the changes they kept
making to the game is what ended up making me and my friends leave.
Even with the bugs the earlier versions of the game are better than what the game became later.
They could have done so much with this game.
Another one down the tubes with bad devs.