PDA

View Full Version : Thank god for Avast

Kapitan_Phillips
01-24-08, 01:07 PM
I was browsing a polish site (in English) for a game series called 18 Wheels of Steel (a trucking simulation), when I suddenly got an installation window for something called "Trusty Anti-Virus". Naturally, that set off the ALAAAARM bells, so I unplugged the network lead, ran task manager, and spotted at least 6 suspicious processes, which I ended immediatley. Then I started Avast! Anti-virus, which scans your running memory before loading up, and it detected the little son of a bitch that infected my computer. Then it offered a boot time scan (when nothing is running, like ChkDsk) which it is now performing.

I know it was just that site, because this laptop has been connected the whole time and has gotten nothing. (Does wireless affect the transmission of viruses?)

SUBMAN1
01-24-08, 01:17 PM
I'm not too happy to hear it let something infect your system in the first place.

-S

Blacklight
01-24-08, 01:19 PM
18 Wheels of Steel is a good little game. LOTS of potential comedy and surprises worked into it (The Alien spaceship caught me off guard completely ! Hehehe) For a piece of budget software, it's not bad at all. I would go to the manufacturer's page to look it up and not some random "Polish" page.:D

Kapitan_Phillips
01-24-08, 01:32 PM
18 Wheels of Steel is a good little game. LOTS of potential comedy and surprises worked into it (The Alien spaceship caught me off guard completely ! Hehehe) For a piece of budget software, it's not bad at all. I would go to the manufacturer's page to look it up and not some random "Polish" page.:D

No, I went there because it's one of the few places where I can download mods. I wanted to desperatley replace that awful engine sound. I managed to do that a couple days ago, I replaced it with a real world Mack truck engine :up: It even whistles with the turbo, I was most pleased.