PDA

View Full Version : U.S.S. Razorback

Thermographer
01-09-08, 11:22 AM
Several weeks ago, I took a tour of the U.S.S. Razorback in North Little Rock. The sub seems to be in Great shape. Talking to one of the sub vets, he said that almost everything was in working order. They got sonar and fathomater working, and the diesels can crank up if needed.
Sending off my paperwork and looking forward to being part of the Razorback base. :up:

M. Sarsfield
01-09-08, 03:07 PM
I need to drive over there some weekend and check her out. The advantage of still being afloat is that you can run the diesels, because they use the water for cooling.

What kind of perks do you get with being a member? Do they let you climb all over the boat?

robbierob2005
01-09-08, 04:39 PM
Have some pics?

Thermographer
01-09-08, 11:23 PM
No pics yet. I need to head over to the Batfish, I didn't realise it was so close.

AVGWarhawk
01-10-08, 11:46 AM
What kind of perks do you get with being a member? Do they let you climb all over the boat?

Our pay at the Torsk is awesome!!!!!!!! TVA...Torsk VOLUNTEER Association. :rotfl:

I hope you have access to everything. What is the use then? I'm a skinny dude so I get all the fun stuff that requires Joe Slim to get behind :roll:

Thermographer
01-11-08, 12:24 PM
The Razorback was still in service with the Turkish Navy until 2002. Thats the main reason everything was in good shape. When the wife and I went visit, we were told not to touch anything because most likely, it works.

AVGWarhawk
01-11-08, 12:33 PM
That is interesting. I did not know she was in service until 2002. Just goes to show you the quality that was put into her.

M. Sarsfield
01-11-08, 01:54 PM
I've visited boats like the Requin where everything was hands off and the idiot tour guide kept insisting that the bridge on a sub was not called a bridge, but was called the con... grrrr. :damn:

It's nice being able to help out with a museum boat where they let you feel at home. Thermographer, come on down this Saturday and you'll be able to see stuff that they wouldn't let you see on the Razorback - see PM that I sent you.

Thermographer
01-14-08, 07:44 PM
Sorry I didn't make it. I didn't catch your post till too late.

This is a really great forum. It would be nice if the other boats, the Submarine Museums would throw out a posting. I work 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off the oil rig and would like to know whats out there, maybe a trip or two this summer to visit other boats. Next time I get to Arkansas, I'll head out to visit the Batfish as well, I wasn't aware it was there until I read this forum

Cheers,
Kevin