PDA

View Full Version : single missions are all screwed up and so am i

Webster
07-18-07, 10:21 PM
ok whats going on here?

i just got around to trying a few single missions i saw posted here for download and now my game is crashing when i try to run some of them even though mission editor validates them ok, some missions dont show up at all and some work without being numbered at all, yet some dissapear if i number the other mission!

im not a noob but new to sh4 missions and structure

i downloaded 15 new missions i found available here at this site so i removed the 11 stock missions to shorten the list so i could go through them in order to test them if i would keep or delete them. once i moved the stock missions, the 11 new missions that had worked fine without being numbered suddenly dissappeared. i numbered one mission to see what would happen and 4 of them now appeared. i figured this was it so i numbered 5 missions and they all dissappeared again. i numbered all 15 and still have nuthing listed and quick mission wont open.

so if i want to renumber or rename a mission i guess i need to recreate it from scratch then?

these are the missions i am having trouble with:

from cdrsubron7 - http://www.subsowespac.org/forum/index.php/topic,275.0.html

from cdrsubron7 - http://www.subsowespac.org/forum/index.php/topic,199.0.html

from snacko - http://files.filefront.com//;7801442;;/

cdrsubron7
07-18-07, 11:30 PM
Please tell me the problem you are having with my missions, Webster. I will try to help you out. Not to insult your intelligeance but the folder in the Data/SingleMissions folder and the two files (mis and tsr files) which reside inside the folder must be named exactly the same including upper and lower case letters and spaces. Feel free to consult my by PM if you want to also.

cdrsubron7 ;)

mgbmike
07-19-07, 07:01 AM
OK, I troubleshot the mission "SM Planes For Rabaul".

The DEAkizuki does not exist on my system.
Maybe because of a mod I've added or maybe it's available on other users systems only.
My fix was to subsitute another destroyer.

How I found it:

Start the editor.
Load the mission. Don't try to zoom in or anything.
Click the explorer tab at the upper right in the editor.
Click the task force + to open it.
Right click on each ship, then left click properties.
If it loads the properties screen that ship is OK.
If it crashes the editor you just found the problem ship.

You can replace the offending ship using notepad to edit the mission (.mis) file.
Only the first three lines of the bad ship need to be replaced.

This is only one possibility of errors within a mission.

Webster
07-19-07, 05:52 PM
Please tell me the problem you are having with my missions, Webster. I will try to help you out. Not to insult your intelligeance but the folder in the Data/SingleMissions folder and the two files (mis and tsr files) which reside inside the folder must be named exactly the same including upper and lower case letters and spaces. Feel free to consult my by PM if you want to also.

cdrsubron7 ;)

ok, here is what i found so far:

these 3 missions still have numbers still inside of them and wont show up on the mission list untill this is corrected.

SM Out Of The Fog (the tga file in this folder is also set as a read only file, this must be a mistake)
SM Protect Wake Island
SM Yellow Sea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
these missions work fine as is without being numbered

SM Aleutians Encounter
SM Bohol Sea Encounter
SM Solomons Rush
SM Solomon's Encounter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
these missions crash to desktop with or without adding numbers

SM Manila Bound
SM Marianas Bound
SM NLuzon Intercept
SM Planes For Rabaul

the 3 missions i got from snacko work in their original form but they all freeze when selected anytime i attempted to rename them.

this is what i tried to change them to: (tried both with and without using numbers)

"Snacko's - San Francisco Defense" was changed to "SM San Francisco"

"Snacko's - Kingman Reef Base" was changed to "SM Kingman Reef "

"Snacko's - Dutch Harbor Revenge" was changed to "SM Dutch Harbor"

Webster
07-19-07, 08:11 PM
UPDATE:

i figured out the problem i had with snacko's missions, my renaming tga files caused it.

also, the missions are full of errors when you try to validate them. i found many ships have no waypoints or they are too close together but these are simple errors to fix with the mission editor.

for me personally i dont find the need to fill every harbor slot with a ship because the game will automatically add a half dozen or so ships to every harbor. if the ship doesn't return fire on the enemy or act as a target or an obstruction then you dont need it IMO.

snacko came up with some great missions filled with action so i dont mean to be critical here, i just wanted to point out what went wrong for me when i tried to rename them.