PDA

View Full Version : How not to land your Messerschmitt...

Chock
06-12-07, 11:31 PM
A video of me returning to base to land in my shot up Messerschmitt 109, with an 'interesting' landing :rotfl: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TAKr4kAGCM

:D Chock

robbo180265
06-13-07, 03:19 AM
A video of me returning to base to land in my shot up Messerschmitt 109, with an 'interesting' landing :rotfl: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TAKr4kAGCM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Been there............
Done it.................................

HunterICX
06-13-07, 03:41 AM
OI! Chock!

I smell and feel there is a Competitor!:rotfl:

hehe:up: good crashlanding

Chock
06-13-07, 07:42 AM
Well, any landing you can limp away from...

STEED
06-13-07, 08:55 AM
In the real world there landing gears were crap. :yep:

Now back to the IL2 Von Chock video. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Great stuff. :up: :up:

Biggles
06-13-07, 03:14 PM
-'tis just a scratch!
-A scratch! Your wing is off!
-No it isn't!
-Well what's that then?!
-I had worse.....
and belive me, I'm tellin' the truth, I had much much worse in my rookie days. You know what? You came in a bit too fast there....

Chock
06-13-07, 08:03 PM
Yup, well spotted, it was indeed a fast approach Biggles, but what you don't see on that film is that it actually had to be fast, as before I formed up with White 3 to go home, I was finding that the aircraft wouldn't stay level below about 150 knots (owing to that big hole in the wing losing lots of lift on the starboard side). At least it made a right-hand circuit easy to fly, barely needed any aileron at all for that :rotfl:

If you look carefully, you can see that the aircraft is constantly rolling to the right during the formation flight and having to be corrected all the time, which is why the formation flying is a very sloppy. In reality it would probably been safer to fly on White 3's left so that I would roll away from him.

You can also notice the twitchy corrections immediately prior to touchdown because I was having to use plenty of ooomph to keep the thing level as it slowed down. All of which meant that the approach had to be flown at about 35 knots faster than optimum and had to be a 'wheeler' rather than a floating three-pointer! You can see that almost full left aileron deflection is on at touchdown. On balance I should have bellied it in I think, but you've got to try these things if both the wheels come down and there's a runway in range.

Anyway, they did build over 31,000 Bf109s in WW2, so it's not like spare parts and replacements would be hard to find!

Luckily for me, the only hard landing I've ever made in real life did no more damage that to put a hairline crack on the access cover of a wheel fairing, which we didn't even bother repairing.

Lagger123987
06-16-07, 11:43 PM
:rotfl: :dead: