PDA

View Full Version : What flight sims do you have/play?

CCIP
05-28-07, 11:14 AM
Other than a silly poll, I thought this'd serve a real purpose of helping birds of the same feather to hook up for MP :D

Currently active:
Falcon 4.0 SP4.2OCI (I tried both Red Viper and OpenFalcon but both performed poorly on my PC, seemed a little prone to glitching and I didn't bother further on)
First Eagles (technically I haven't played this one in a while - I'll grab some mods for it sometime and play around again though)

In reserve: (i.e. not currently installed)
IL-2 (4.06, that is, up to the Pe-2 add-on)
LO:MAC Flaming Cliffs (I still can't get myself interested enough in it)
FS9 (would be on, but the beast absolutely devours my HD space so I can't afford to keep it there for now!)
Jane's F-15 and F-18 (would go back if I can figure out which mod updates I need for them)
MiG Alley, F-22 TAW (would go back if these have been modded in the last few years)

Would like to/plan to get: (both current and future games)
IL-2 1946 (soon)
BoB 2 (maybe)
B-17II (maybe, if it's been modded enough)
Black Shark (depends on how its state at release)
Storm of War (but only when I get a new PC :dead:)
Knights of the Sky (alternatively, OFF - if I can find a copy of CFS3 somehwere)

Tools:
Saitek Cyborg EVO
(would like to get TrackIR and a HOTAS eventually, in that order)

HunterICX
05-28-07, 11:21 AM
I have installed&Play:

CFS3 + OFF supermod
IL2 1946 patched to 4.08m

my Tools:

Logitech Force 3D pro.

planning to get that TrackiR one day.

CCIP
05-28-07, 11:23 AM
my Tools:

Logitech Force 3D pro.

planning to get that TrackiR one day.

I should add that too :D

agreed, would love to get a TrackIR (in fact it's top of my list as peripherals). A nice HOTAS wouldn't hurt either :hmm:

Jimbuna
05-28-07, 12:16 PM
IL2 and CFS3 :D

Dowly
05-28-07, 12:22 PM
Games:

IL2 & OFF

Tools:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
List titled "How to piss Hunter off"

Only have got to the first item, which says "Shoot him down over and over again", have to try some other tonight like "Ram him. Preferably when he is taking off".

HunterICX
05-28-07, 12:36 PM
Only have got to the first item, which says "Shoot him down over and over again", have to try some other tonight like "Ram him. Preferably when he is taking off".

:hmm: Me smells some challenge in this one

:stare: bring it on , punk!:arrgh!:

Dowly
05-28-07, 12:39 PM

:hmm: Me smells some challenge in this one

Our dogfights and challenge dont fit in same sentence... atleast from my POV. :rotfl:

Chock
05-28-07, 12:46 PM
Pretty much got them all (you could probably have worked that one out from my forum name I guess), but the one I mess about with the most is probably Condor The Competition Soaring Simulator, as it has a flight model which blows every other PC-based flight simulator out of the water and is certainly the only one that you can spin properly in; in fact, the reason I decided to buy it was when I saw a demo video of one of the gliders spinning, and thought 'Yup, that's exactly what it's like in real life!'. Plus it runs great even on a moderate PC and it has a great online community as well as a competition league for tasks and races. Great with Track-IR too. And handy when it's too rainy to go and fly the real thing!

I like the flight model in IL-2, but the single-player game itself is a little lacklustre and the AI is somewhat questionable, although it does come into its own online against human players.

FSX is another favourite, but the flight modelling is not brilliant, however it is great for variety, modding possibilities and the modelling of complex systems, although many of the better aircraft are only to be found in FS9, so I use that too for things like the PMDG Boeing 747.

I occasionally wheel out some of the older ones like B17 and Gunship, and the free WW1 add-on 'Over Flanders Fields' is great for CFS3, so that gets a showing every once in a while.

Not forgetting Falcon Allied Force of course, which definitely has the best dynamic campaign of any flight sim, and is also a blast online. another one that's great with Track-IR and it runs good on a moderate PC too.

So, yup, I do use quite a lot of them :rotfl:

Couple of pics from Condor below, one is a Ventus 2 coming up on 18,000 feet over Mont Blanc, the other is an ASW 28 on aerotow at the start of an online race.

:D Chock

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/AlanBradbury/Montblanc.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/AlanBradbury/ASWaerotow.jpg

robbo180265
05-28-07, 02:45 PM
Currently Play CFS3 and FS9.

I've had LOMAC for a while,but like others have said I too can't get interested in it at the moment.
I also Found IL2 1946 at our local shop for £15.00 so I bought that too. I'm finding the planes a quite easy to spin, and the missions a little bland, I'll give it a little while longer and see how it goes.

What with all that + Medieval 2 Total war and ArmA, I haven't been near a sub in weeks!

STEED
05-28-07, 05:33 PM
None at the moment as I need to reinstall them on my new hardrive. :roll:

I like this colour scheme in this forum. :up:

Right a quick run down CF/IL2 I will list them in full when there all installed again.

Tomorrow I hope.

joea
05-28-07, 05:34 PM
Il-2 46, don't really like the modern stuff. Flew the MS civvie series for some years but kind of got bored with it.

Egan
05-28-07, 05:37 PM
BoB, CFS3 / OFF, ILSturmovik (up to the most recent one,) Falcon in varous flavours and Lomac. I think thats about it just now. Oh yeah, FS9 too.

BoB and OFF are the two I play the most. I love Falcon too but mostly AF since it is so accesible and it's all right there. the various flavours are fine but I'm pretty lazy.

ILSturmovik, I think, is my least favourite one. It just bores me. For all the prettiness of the models I just can't play it for more than about 10 minutes. The problem is probably that I'm not really into online play and the solo mode is just....rubbish, even with the various campaign generators. I'm keeping a close eye on Sortm of War but, well, we shall see.

Marko_Ramius
05-28-07, 05:56 PM
The one, the big, the great Falcon, (AF, OF, an other) best sim ever made :up: ;) A Multi-role, incredible environemental feeling of battlefield, an amazing dynamic campaign... Since Falcon 3.0, i fell in love.

IL2 FB/PF is great too, and waiting for me.

LOMAC great too, but no campaign :-?

But since a few months, i began to be a casual fly-boy :-? Not enough time for them.

Skybird
05-29-07, 07:11 AM
FS9, currently the only thing that I occasionally do fly with.

Also still installed is Falcon, IL2, Longbow2, but it has been aeons since I last ime used them.

After over 20 years, maybe it is time to change my avatar, maybe. From "Skybird" to "Heavybeast", maybe? :D

How was it with that old saying: "they always come down again..." :lol:

STEED
05-29-07, 12:30 PM
OK I got the IL2 series loaded up now so heres the the list -

IL2

IL2 Forgotten Battles with add on's they are -
Operation Barbarossa
Ace Expansion Pack
Battle of Europe
Pacific Fighters

Can some one put up the exact link for the patches I need for the above, many thanks guys. Tomorrow I will post the CF info.

HunterICX
05-29-07, 02:42 PM
the latest version I know of is

4.04m for Il2 : FB + AEP + PF merged

http://pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php:up:

Skybird
05-29-07, 03:24 PM
OK I got the IL2 series loaded up now so heres the the list -

Can some one put up the exact link for the patches I need for the above, many thanks guys. Tomorrow I will post the CF info.

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php (http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php)

Check there for the patches you need. The same patches exist in at last two version, depending on wether you run a stand-alone sim alone, or in combination of the other parts of the series.

Didn't you say "until August" ? :D

STEED
05-29-07, 04:08 PM
Thanks everyone got what I need.

STEED
05-30-07, 01:56 PM
Right I got the CF series loaded up now so heres the the list -

CF1 with add on -
Wings over China
And mixed selection of free mods Aircrafts/Missions/Campaigns

CF2

CF3 with add on -
B-17 Memphis Belle
Battle of Britain
Mosquito Combat Europe
Firepower
And mixed selection of free mods Aircrafts/Missions

Bort
05-30-07, 03:51 PM
Right now, my old computer is out of action and I'm waiting for my replacement to arrive, so I'll just list what I had for my old computer here.

Games:
FSX - Never could get it to run smoothly on my old computer, hoping for some miracles with this one after my new computer and the service pack. :up:
IL2: Sturmovik - Never got into this game, maybe it's time I give it some more testing to prove its worth.
Pacific Fighters - Same as with IL2, never got into it. The interface always seemed so confusing and rigid, not user-friendly enough.
Falcon 4.0 - Love this game, haven't fired it up for a while, not once since I got my new joystick.
LOMAC - Very buggy, could never get it to work right with the controls and everything. Once again, I'll re-try it on the new computer.
Jane's F15 and F18 - Loved these games, really wish I could find a way to get them to work properly, maybe with patches and all it will run.

Tools:
Saitek X52 Flight Control System - I absolutely love this beast, will be terrific for FSX and Falcon 4.0.

Chock
05-30-07, 05:57 PM
How to upgrade Jane's F/A-18 and get it working in XP:

http://tsh.war-fighters.net/

:D Chock

Chock
05-30-07, 06:31 PM
Just remembered, here's another sim I mess about with every once in a while - Xtreme Air Racing - it's good fun racing WW2 aeroplanes at low level, and it's one of the few sims that features propwash turbulence:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/AlanBradbury/XtremeAirRacing2007-05-3100-16-10-8.jpg

STEED
05-31-07, 06:24 AM
Hey Chock, do you get to shoot the opposition down and win the air race. :lol:

Linton
05-31-07, 12:25 PM
This is my kind of sim:
http://flightsimx.cyclops.amnesia.com.au/index.html

Linton
05-31-07, 12:36 PM
I play this one a couple of times a week:http://www.allfly.de/pk15sl_v1_5/photos/135/med_1104249721-1351.jpg

HunterICX
05-31-07, 12:39 PM
@Linton: what are the system specs on that baby :lol:

STEED
05-31-07, 12:59 PM
This is my kind of sim:
http://flightsimx.cyclops.amnesia.com.au/index.html

My best throw just passed the office chair. :cool:

Linton
05-31-07, 01:00 PM
@Linton: what are the system specs on that baby :lol:
Well ,the thing runs on Pentium 0 technology and a lot of hydraulic fluid.It is quite power hungry and needs about 8000l of fuel an hour to run.The whole system is still in version 3.06 as the hardware cannot be upgraded and served as a test bed for the later Airbus (3)2.0 and other further mods.Later versions have incorporated a joystick and full computer control but this one is still very anologue.Its total computing power is less than the calculator I got from a petrol station.It is quite challenging to fly but doesn't ctd often even, though the landings feel like it has!This sim is starting to become quite rare but still provides much enjoyment especially for training captains!

Linton
05-31-07, 01:04 PM
My best throw 72m,but my brother in law got over 90!!

joea
05-31-07, 01:08 PM
ILSturmovik, I think, is my least favourite one. It just bores me. For all the prettiness of the models I just can't play it for more than about 10 minutes. The problem is probably that I'm not really into online play and the solo mode is just....rubbish, even with the various campaign generators. I'm keeping a close eye on Sortm of War but, well, we shall see.

Take a look at this info:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=552197&postcount=4

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=553084&postcount=15

Really try DCG here: http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

and try out some of the good static campaigns like I said.

STEED
05-31-07, 01:40 PM
A question for you guys who just like to fly your planes like the airline ones, do you really have great fun just sitting there hour after hour of well you tell me.

If it was me I would be itching for a dogfight. :lol:

Linton
05-31-07, 03:28 PM
A few of my ex-airforce colleagues still occasionally say Fox1 or Fox2(shot with gun or shot with missile)when they see another aircraft close to them.

robbo180265
05-31-07, 04:02 PM
A question for you guys who just like to fly your planes like the airline ones, do you really have great fun just sitting there hour after hour of well you tell me.

If it was me I would be itching for a dogfight. :lol:

It's all about time compression, the real fun is in landing them - belive me you'd not be bored then:D

Linton
05-31-07, 04:11 PM
Landing any aircraft is the hardest thing to teach or learn.It involves a lot of visual scanning of the environment so that you can allow for rate of descent crosswind etc.On an airliner the radio altimeter with a voice call out is very helpful to judge the flare.Making sure you stay up-wind of the centerline in a crosswind is purely a manual thing though.I have frequently seen an aircraft track the centerline whilst the pilot is on instruments- he then looks up and the aircraft drifts downwind!All I can say is that experience and repetition are what is required.Playing with time compression in the landing phase is NOT recommended.

robbo180265
05-31-07, 05:16 PM
.Playing with time compression in the landing phase is NOT recommended.

Good God man - I didn't mean whilst landing:o

Linton
05-31-07, 05:46 PM
I did think that was a bit hard core when I first read it -but whatever floats your boat.

robbo180265
05-31-07, 06:20 PM
I did think that was a bit hard core when I first read it -but whatever floats your boat.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

robbo180265
05-31-07, 06:31 PM

By some weird coincidence a friend sent me this in my e mail today

it's very appropriate.:D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnlbEmeatko

STEED
06-01-07, 04:57 AM
Are I get, you take off level out and hit the time compression then back to normal time, land and your ready to go again. :hmm:

robbo180265
06-01-07, 06:10 AM
Are I get, you take off level out and hit the time compression then back to normal time, land and your ready to go again. :hmm:

Got it in one ! It's not everyones cup of tea, and I don't do it all the time.It is quite fun trying to land a 747:o

Edit: I ought to mention the eye candy on the way, and also the fact that you can programme in faliures (engines etc).All of which make the game more fun to play:up:

Biggles
06-01-07, 06:02 PM
MCFS 3.
OFF mod.

Those are the ones, bloody fine games too (OFF is a mod, but beats the lard out of any other WWI simulator up to date)

Janus
06-10-07, 03:34 AM
In no particular order:

Falcon 4 Allied Force
Dangerous Waters
Operation Flashpoint / Armed Assault
Combat Mission (Combat Mission Shock Force will be released 27th July this year :D)

and I'm trying to get a clue of Il-2 series but still waiting for my copy

I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo.

FIREWALL
06-11-07, 07:37 PM
Did flight sims before Sub sims.

IL2
IL2 Forgotten Battles
Ace X pack
Pacific Fighters
Janes WWII Fighters Sim
Lock On

Want : Mig Alley ?

IL2 1946
BoB

Looking for Realistic , Good Graphics , WWI Flight Sim. Want to fly bi & triplanes.

Tools: Saitek X52 with rudder pedals.

XLjedi
06-18-07, 03:10 PM
I just haven't been able to find any flight sims that are really fun to play since... well... since I owned a Commodore Amiga!

...or maybe it's just been that long (my high school days) since I've had so much free time on my hands that I could learn in detail how the things worked.

I guess I did play the MSCFS in the pacific there for awhile... I didn't have the patience to come back to LOMAC after the A-10 training. IL2 I tried but not the PF version... In IL2 I never got past flying these pudgy looking Soviet clown planes that basically I flew for awhile, saw some enemy planes, promptly stalled and was repeatedly shot down. ... sometimes for variety I could manage a spin stall! Wasn't a whole lotta fun...

Should I bother to give MSCFS III a shot?

HunterICX
06-19-07, 04:32 AM
:hmm: Mmmm...

Having trouble adapting to the IL2 flight model?

its all the matter of practice mate,
first when I played IL2 sturmovik (1st one)
I couldnt even take off for the first hour
after that I repeatly crashed my planes by stalling it
got shot down mostly for about a day or 2
got my first kill after 5 hours
now I shoot everything that comes in my path and bomb the hell out of ground targets
and I love it:up:
its just a matter of knowing what a plane can do, and what a plane can't do.

you need to take your time to learn the flight model, it isnt easy but when you got the feeling of it. you wont lose it easily.
every plane has its own characistics which you have to discover and soon enough you will find a plane which suits your style.

CFS3 is nice, but I say above CFS3 I say Battle Of Britain 2, or wait for Maddox (IL2 dev team) new game Storm of War : Battle of Britain

HunterICX

XLjedi
06-19-07, 07:53 AM
:hmm: Mmmm...

Having trouble adapting to the IL2 flight model?

its all the matter of practice mate,
first when I played IL2 sturmovik (1st one)
I couldnt even take off for the first hour
after that I repeatly crashed my planes by stalling it
got shot down mostly for about a day or 2
got my first kill after 5 hours
now I shoot everything that comes in my path and bomb the hell out of ground targets
and I love it:up:
its just a matter of knowing what a plane can do, and what a plane can't do.

you need to take your time to learn the flight model, it isnt easy but when you got the feeling of it. you wont lose it easily.
every plane has its own characistics which you have to discover and soon enough you will find a plane which suits your style.

CFS3 is nice, but I say above CFS3 I say Battle Of Britain 2, or wait for Maddox (IL2 dev team) new game Storm of War : Battle of Britain

HunterICX

Yeah... that's my problem... doesn't take me 5 hours to check out in a REAL airplane!

I have very little patience for finicky flight models. While I was browsing Amazon for MSCFSIII yesterday I happened upon something called the "Firepower" expansion which might just be what I'm looking for.

According to a GameSpot review, they spent a lot of time interviewing real WWII pilots and tweaking the flight models for what the machines could really do, rather than what was reported on the placards.

Anyhow... I think I might give this one a shot. Any of you seen or used the "Firepower (http://www.amazon.com/FirePower-Microsoft-Combat-Simulator-3/dp/B0001MBCE0)" expansion for MSCFSIII?

HunterICX
06-19-07, 09:21 AM
*Calling steed the nuke dropping Brit*

:cool:

SeaVee
06-19-07, 08:37 PM
Battle of Britain II - Wings of Victory a/k/a BoB2 http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob/

IL2 1946 (plus all prior versions)
CFS3 + Firepower+ Over Flanders Fields
Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
LOMAC
Janes WWII Fighters
FSX + Shockwave's WWII Fighters add-on

All are good, all have merit but far and away my absolute favorite is BoB2. See SimHQ's review of the 2.06 update here: http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_293a.html

There is another update about to be released as well and for the first time they are actively working on enabling multi-player and are optimistic about getting that going. The AI is absolutely SUPERB and is the ONLY off-line game I can play over and over without getting bored because of it. The dynamic campaign (in which one can 'frag' into combat missions at will) is known as the 'Marianna's Trench' of campaigns because its so deep. For the more casual gamer, the Instant Action and Historic missions are great and challenging fun too. For the TrackIR users it supports full 6 Degrees of Freedom (6DOF) as well. Main Shockwave BoB2 boards: http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/index.php?c=5

maim SimHQ BoB2 boards: http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=75&page=1

Seeadler
06-20-07, 03:13 AM
- IL2 1946
- Falcon AF
- Wings over Europe
- X-Plane
- FSX + several commercial AddOn's

and some old DOS/Win95 FlightSims on my shelf:D