PDA

View Full Version : New guy, questions

Arno
05-22-07, 02:34 PM
Believe it or not, SC is still getting new gamers :lol:

I just got my copy a few days ago and everything works great. So far I played a few of those single star missions (extracting SEAL teams, meeting helo etc) and had a great time!!!

One mission has me stumped, though... I have to guard the entrance to the arabian sea against a russian kilo. So far I played this mission three times and just can't find it :oops:

Are there any websites that offer help for beginning sub commanders??! I also don't get much of TMA and the like (the tutorials are ok, but a little quick)

I apologize if this has been asked a million times already, but what are these SCU X(?) mods??? Which patches do I have to install??? I own the standard (german) retail edition.

I'd appreciate your help,
cheers
Arno

Castout
05-22-07, 08:05 PM
Hello i don't play SC anymore since Dangerous Waters came out.

Trying to find the Kilo in shallow water is very very hard indeed. If passive sonar doesn't work you might want to try pinging.

All i know that there's a mod called SCXII which adds many new platforms and others modifications.

Here's a link to SC/DW resources: www.subguru.com

Marko_Ramius
05-26-07, 11:48 PM
Hi Arno and all you guys here :)

Like you Arno, i just have this sim since two days, and i really wish to find some good documentation and tutorials on this great but complex game, if possible.

Very different with diesels subs on WW2 !!

PS : I just saw a "Ramius" member here, so my apologize to him to call myself Marko_R ;) If i knew that when i registered on Subsim, i'd choose "Bart Mancuso" or something else, LOL

Fish
05-27-07, 09:35 AM
i really wish to find some good documentation and tutorials on this great but complex game, if possible.

May I suggest: http://www.subguru.com/

ausraider
06-17-07, 01:22 PM
Hi,

I got SC about 4 or so years ago when it first came out, but couldn't warm to it.
I had been playing Seawolf - SSII and a few other subsims which I really enjoyed - and to a certain extent - after a few missions or two I was rolling along.

Then when I got Sub Command, I was very excited - because of the level of simulation complexity and realism promised.
But I couldn't get into it, I simply found it too hard.
Now I realise why.

In other - more game orientated sims - the protocol for combat was fairly simple.
When you get a lock on an ememy target - then you fire a torpedeo.
When an enemy unit 'sees' you - then they fire their weapons.

SC doesn't work that way.

In SC the 'hard' enemy will fire at the general area in where they may have detected you.

If you carelessly raise the boat above a certain depth when at a certain knotage, cavitation will occur giving the enemy a pretty good idea of where you are.
They don't even have to see you - nor does their icon need to be present on your nav map.
They will fire in the general area of the cavitation contact and let their torpedo's Active Sonar do the rest.
They next thing you your Sonar officer is screaming at you:
'Torpedo in the Water!.
We're Hit!.We're going Down!

So there I was, running around the navmap desperately seeking a Zero-Minute-Contact - believeing it absolutely essential for a successful torpedeo strike - hence my disillusion with SC originally.

Its different now.
I now realise that I have a Seawolf at my disposal - and can use the ordinance when and where and how I choose.
Who says I have to have an under 5 minute contact to launch a MK48 ADCAP when and where I want?
The enemy will know that a fish is in the water looking for them - perhaps they will re-act if its close enough. They usually do - and thats it for them.
Though sometimes they won't - sometimes their counter-measures are very good.

With other Subsims - you usually need a hard contact.
With Sub Command - if you know have a good idea of where the enemy MIGHT be, - thats the time to gear up a launch.
I also have UUVs - slow I know (5knts) - and MK67's SLMM's 'Slims' I like to call 'em - like meself.:roll:
The UUV can ping out a good radius - as can the MK48 - and nobody has to know where you really are so....

Also, for novices I recommend re-assigning the 'Show-Truth' command to something simpler like ' t ' in the keyboard options menu.
That way you can get a better idea as to how things play out in SC - comparing contact information to the actuality - especially in the early missions to get a 'feel' for the sim.
You can re-assign it later to something like CTRL - ] - KEYPADMINUS if temptation is getting the better of you.;)

I now think the Manual does a fair enough job regarding the sim.
If anything should be improved upon - it would be the mission briefs IMO.
Threat levels or expected threat levels are unclear and sometimes the parameters under which and how you should act.
'Do not engage' - does not mean 'Don't put a fish in the water.'
'DO NOT PUT A FISH IN THE WATER!' - means - Do not put a er.. fish in the water.:smug:

One time in the 'Track the Akula II' mission, I had MK48's - SLIM's and UUVs all going at once - Bhoy, did that Akula 'Sign in.'
However - not as much as a peep from any surface craft, never mind a ping or two.
I wonder did they think that they were already pinging? - given the racket I was making with all my fish - but my seawolf was like a Tomcat in a doghouse full of German Shepherds.

In reality - if I was up Severnmorsk harbour - I would expect a fleet of ASW Helos to be out looking for me if I as much as flushed the toilet.

So now I wonder is SC 'too easy'....
But it would be nice to have the pre-programed threat levels alluded to in mission briefs so that you can get an idea of what generally to expect - or some fancy graphics indications in the briefing screen ala R63 that might suggest 'things'..

Ausraider.

Nexus7
07-02-07, 10:00 AM
Arno, about the mission... you might be able to see the kilo at the surface leaving the harbor, but i'm not sure. If he's not at the surface get as close as poss (would say not less than 5nm) and take an angle to show the Towed Array to the entrance. In shallow waters you might have to stream it out at a fraction of his max length in order not to scratch the bottom.
About TMA, it's usually the last thing subsims players get into, as it needs a lot of practice to be effective.
The link Fish gave you will cover you with a good quantity of documentation to start off...
If you have more questions, dont be afraid to ask :)

JackSparrow
08-13-07, 02:22 PM
Be sure not to let your towed array drag the bottom, or you'll get false readings too. Good Luck!:)