PDA

View Full Version : Where is my Naval Base??

Snacko
05-18-07, 09:34 PM
I created a mission and added a JP Naval Base#1 object from the Land menu. But when I go into the game, there is nothing there at all!

Can we create harbors for docked ships? If not, what is this JP Naval Base object?

Egan
05-19-07, 09:56 AM
Harbours and naval bases are two totally different things. The harbours are physical model that must be placed in tha game, the naval bases are a set of special properties, given to an area, that allow refits, docking, ending patrols and so on. Here is a quick guide on how to place the harbour models:

Open the editor and the mission you are working on and:

go to Tools and select 'map location edit mode'.

Zoom in and right click on the point you want to build a new harbour on. click on 'Add Map Location.'

In the pop up box choose a name and enter this in the 'Editor name' field.

Next is the location type. For a harbour we want this set to '3d location'

the next field is priority. This determines at what zoom level the model becomes viasble on the map. There are three levels: At high you will see th base on the map at the maximum zoom out. At medium it will become viasble at a couple of clicks in, at min you have to zoom pretty far in to see it.

for 3d model type we will choose 'Large_harbour-type_II_dat' and for the field underneath select the same type.

location name in game is self explanitory.

Heading is also self explanitory. fiddle around with it until it is facing the way you want.

leave the font names and text colour as they are (although you canplay around with them if you want - it shouldn't cause any problems.)

For ZOOM START choose 50m/pixel
for ZOOM END choose 1m/pixel

Select 'scale on zoom' and show on map'. only select 'on land' if you are adding a city tile or similar.

Don't bother with the min height field.

for MAX OBJ SLOPE, set it to 0.550000
for SCALE set it to 14.377808

And leave the entry and exit dates as they are.

The Zoom, obj slope and scale settings are all default. Messing with these causes negative effects and should not be any different for the ones I've shown above. Font and colour are a matter of taste.

Also be aware that, brilliantly, some of the 3d models are missing their corresponding 2d images which wont affect them in game but makes it very, very difficult to place them properly as you have to use a different 2d image as a place holder.

Snacko
05-19-07, 02:12 PM
Harbours and naval bases are two totally different things. The harbours are physical model that must be placed in tha game, the naval bases are a set of special properties, given to an area, that allow refits, docking, ending patrols and so on. Here is a quick guide on how to place the harbour models:

Open the editor and the mission you are working on and:

go to Tools and select 'map location edit mode'.

Zoom in and right click on the point you want to build a new harbour on.

In the pop up box choose a name and enter this in the 'Editor name' field.

Next is the location type. For a harbour we want this set to '3d location'

the next field is priority. This determines at what zoom level the model becomes viasble on the map. There are three levels: At high you will see th base on the map at the maximum zoom out. At medium it will become viasble at a couple of clicks in, at min you have to zoom pretty far in to see it.

for 3d model type we will choose 'Large_harbour-type_II_dat' and for the field underneath select the same type.

location name in game is self explanitory.

Heading is also self explanitory. fiddle around with it until it is facing the way you want.

leave the font names and text colour as they are (although you canplay around with them if you want - it shouldn't cause any problems.)

For ZOOM START choose 50m/pixel
for ZOOM END choose 1m/pixel

Select 'scale on zoom' and show on map'. only select 'on land' if you are adding a city tile or similar.

Don't bother with the min height field.

for MAX OBJ SLOPE, set it to 0.550000
for SCALE set it to 14.377808

And leave the entry and exit dates as they are.

The Zoom, obj slope and scale settings are all default. Messing with these causes negative effects and should not be any different for the ones I've shown above. Font and colour are a matter of taste.

Also be aware that, brilliantly, some of the 3d models are missing their corresponding 2d images which wont affect them in game but makes it very, very difficult to place them properly as you have to use a different 2d image as a place holder.Thanks a lot Egan! I'll try that out tonight when I get a chance. :up:

Snacko
05-19-07, 06:04 PM
This worked great. I have my harbour now, and several ships and subs docked at port. Thanks again!

By the way... This should be a Sticky! It got me started well and I could figure out how to add a lot more objects from this one tutorial.

I would add only one thing...
Zoom in and right click on the point you want to build a new harbour on. ...at the end of this sentence to say which 'menu item' to click? ie. Select 'Add Map Location'

Snacko
05-21-07, 07:39 PM
Ok, I have my mission pretty much set up and working. But I have a few problems.
Some Ships won't dock!
The Jap Subs don't seem to have a 2D image for Map View!?1) Maybe I don't understand how to make a ship act like it is docked? I check the Docked Ship checkbox, and set the Speed to 0. That's it. Most ships just sit where I put them. But some seem to 'float' around and not stay like they are docked! What am I doing wrong??

2) tga shape not found!?
This text appears in the Map View on the Right Side of where the Jap Subs are located. So I know it's for those objects. I assume this is a bug I cannot resolve by changing anything in the Mission Editor? Or can I fix this??
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1415/sh4img215200719564739xn7.th.png (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh4img215200719564739xn7.png)

Egan
05-22-07, 06:37 AM
I edited that little but important snippit in. Cheers.

I don't touch the subs. the entire non player sub thing doesn't work right and it doesn't seem it was ever meant too, unfortunately. Unless the two jap subs are placeholders until the devs or modders do something with them I don't know.

With docked ships, I've always found it hit and miss to be honest. I had real problems in a mission I did getting a tender to sit right so I can empathise with you. You shouldn't need to do anything other than set it to dock and 0 speed.

Oh, a final tip for harbours: if you are going to have ships patrolling around (tugs and so on,) remember to set them to 'evolve from entry date.' which puts them at the correct point on their waypoint path for the mission start date and time.

Snacko
05-22-07, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the Tug boat tip. The last time I tested the mission, he was supposed to patrol the harbour, but was stuck in a slip with a sub. Really crammed right in there somehow. I though it was weird, but also thought it looked kinda cool. Like he was working with the sub or something.