PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Das Boot Moments mod

nvdrifter
03-23-07, 12:30 AM
[WIP] Das Boot Moments mod

I am currently working on a mod to try and recreate longer, more nail biting, suspenseful moments before death like in the movie Das Boot. Remember when they were stuck on the bottom, trying to repair their U-boot? I am trying to recreate those moments in SH4. I am basing this mod on my SH3 Longer Repair Times mod. But, since SH4 finally corrected the short repair times, I won't be changing compartment efficiency settings. Hooray! :p What I will be changing is the following:

-Much stronger submarine hulls. Sub hitpoints will increase and crush speeds will also be increased to compensate. Less emphasis on hull integrity.

-Increased compartment hitpoints and compartments no longer linked to hull integrity. Compartments will each have their own armor ratings and hitpoints.

-Stronger sub equipment. Some hitpoints and armor ratings will be increased, such as batteries, fuel tanks, and diesel engines for playability reasons.

-Slower flood times and slightly less weight from flooding. Flood times won't be nearly as long as in my SH3 LRT mod, but they will be somewhat slower.

Using this mod will make the sub's hull less vulnerable to surface gun atacks, but compartment equipment will still be damaged as normal. I have already played an early version of this mod and the results are great (in my opinion). This mod isn't super-realistic, but I think it's fun and adds a lot to gameplay.

CCIP
03-23-07, 12:38 AM
How about the "S-38 Moments Mod" instead?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=457580#post457580

Are you reading my mind for what I want as mods right now?
:up::up::up::up::up:

CCIP
03-23-07, 12:39 AM
Also, the lesser vulnerability to surface gun attacks issue can be compensated for by stronger surface ship guns very easily. I did the exact same thing for RUb's damage modelling back in the day.

And you may wish to look over depth charge settings too!

I don't see why this should be considered a "less realistic" project either. A matter of tweaking, that's all.

nvdrifter
03-23-07, 12:48 AM
Also, the lesser vulnerability to surface gun attacks issue can be compensated for by stronger surface ship guns very easily. I did the exact same thing for RUb's damage modelling back in the day.

And you may wish to look over depth charge settings too!

I don't see why this should be considered a "less realistic" project either. A matter of tweaking, that's all.

That was a great story. Good idea about the shells, too. One thing I am really excited about is the there is no more instant death when a sub compartment completely floods. I am not 100% certain about this, but it seems so. Can you or anyone else confirm this?

Waterboy
03-23-07, 10:27 AM
That appears to be correct. I had numerous compartments flood while free falling to the bottom. I believe I had 3 compartments flooded, one of which was definately 100%, possibly all of them.

I don't know what depth I was at when my sub crushed, as the meter was pegged. The crew was still talking until the ship broke apart (those that were not already dead)