PDA

View Full Version : Wolves of the Pacific

geetrue
02-25-07, 12:36 PM
Should we continue to call Silent Hunter IV ... Silent Hunter IV?

As the title of a web page it kind of sounds old, you know a little off. Maybe I'm just tired of it after eight years of seeing the title up there, but whatever ya'll think would work is okay with me.

The old Wolf Pack League WPL had some pizazz to it's name ... Wolves of the Pacific is kinda of hard to shorten down to WOP (lets not go there), but something better than SHIV would sound better.

Plus if Ubi soft won't put up a cut away drawing of a fleet boat ... how about up above in the header over the web page forum for Silent Hunter IV or Pacific Wolf Pac is a suggestion.

Lets kick it around ... anyone else have a suggestion?

Pit
02-25-07, 01:41 PM
OOOOOOOOO I like it...I like it....I like it....I like it...I like it :rock: :rock:
Maybe something simple like Pacific Wolves??? :arrgh!: :()1: :ahoy:

CCIP
02-25-07, 04:54 PM
...how about we just call a spade a spade? :dead:

Not sure why you would do that. Whatever the subtitles, I think the publishers and developers have still indicated it as belonging very strongly to the SH series - and SH, let's agree, is the most recognizable title you can get - so why confuse people?

geetrue
02-25-07, 05:36 PM

Not sure why you would do that. Whatever the subtitles, I think the publishers and developers have still indicated it as belonging very strongly to the SH series - and SH, let's agree, is the most recognizable title you can get - so why confuse people?

because it's more than just another number for one thing ... because a lot of new members on the way never even heard of Silent Hunter much less 2, 3 or 4.

To become part of a movement ... to seperate the ocean ... to seperate the nationalities ... to be bold ... to set new horizons, because this is a forum. :up:

Sailor Steve
02-25-07, 06:14 PM
How about something simple?

I KNOW: "The Newest, Latest, Greatest Incarnation Of The Silent Hunter Series!" That way they won't ever have to change the name again!

No? Then how about "Fred!"?

CCIP
02-25-07, 10:02 PM
No? Then how about "Fred!"?

:huh:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/Otohiko/fred.jpg

Pit
02-25-07, 10:23 PM
Well from what I have seen so far is that some SHIII Flotillas are forming SHIV Squadrons...

So why NOT have an exclusive SHIV group such as what the WPL WAS ??? :arrgh!:

After all... that's what got a lot of us started and interested!!!

Boris
02-26-07, 08:14 AM
Renaming the regular SH4 section might confuse newcomers though, who on having a quick look through, don't see an SH4 forum and leave.

hyperion2206
02-26-07, 09:22 AM

because it's more than just another number for one thing ... because a lot of new members on the way never even heard of Silent Hunter much less 2, 3 or 4.

To become part of a movement ... to seperate the ocean ... to seperate the nationalities ... to be bold ... to set new horizons, because this is a forum. :up:

Many people never heard of Copernicus, should we call him Barney instead?:p I know that analogy does not quite fit, but I hope you all understand what I mean.

Sonarman
02-26-07, 09:29 AM
According to Ubisoft's first printed ad to appear in the UK (in PC Zone magazine) we should not call it
"The Definitive Submarine Game Ever".... very poor English, at least thay had the sense to include the Subsim "Hit" logo and a "Silent Hunter 4 is a knockout" quote from Neal.

geetrue
02-26-07, 03:29 PM
Plus if Ubi soft won't put up a cut away drawing of a fleet boat ... how about up above in the header over the web page forum for Silent Hunter IV or Pacific Wolf Pac is a suggestion.

Lets kick it around ... anyone else have a suggestion?

Silent Hunter IV “Wolves of the Pacific”

Notice the overlay when you enter from subsim.com

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

Currently Active Skippers:

Notice how much room the skippers list takes up?

Then you have several options of the various forums to chose from:

I say keep it that way for now, but after you click on a particular forum (after your in the Radio Room) you could have the same size space for a cut away drawing of a submarine, in the same size space you have for the skippers list.

Follow me so far?

I think Silent Hunter IV should be first and when you click on it:

http://theworldwideweather.com/PhotoDraw131.jpg

You get a cut away drawing of a WWII Fleet Boat: This one is from Silent Hunter #1 and may need permission to use for commercial use, but Torp in Seattle comes to mind for a cut away view of a fleet boat of your choice.

Move your cursor over the different departments to get a different forum for SHIV

Conning tower
Control Room
Wardroom
Mess hall
Crew Quarters for enlisted men
Operations (Radio, Quartermaster, Sonarman, Radarman)
Weapons (deck guns, repeal boarders, mines, torpedo’s, fwd, aft)
Engineering (engine room #1, engine room #2, controlerman area)

A different forum room opens up underneath the cut away submarine, you could go
back and forth from one topic to another or linger where your will leads you.

You could then do the same thing in Silent Hunter II and Silent Hunter III
But use a U-Boat going the opposite way (so as not to disorientate anyone)

With me so far …

This is interactive, moving your mind, eye candy, immersion, a game sim experience.
You could work on this after it is up and running to label everything, click for more information, to qualify, etc …
We have great people at subsimcom to contribute, feel like a real construction crew.

I’ve left plenty of room for creative people to jump in

We have members that want to complain to deal with
We have members that have a positive outlook to deal with
We have members that want to add mods, create mods, talk about mods
We have multi-player to deal with
We have chat rooms to deal with
We have check in for all new members to deal with
We have a qualified for submarine duty to earn your Dolphins area to deal with
We have a cost problem to deal with
We hopefully have hundreds of new members to deal with

I propose a small charge every year or monthly for several reasons:

Makes being a member more exclusive
Helps pay the overhead
Gives you a I want to be a submarine skipper feelingI say everything should be for free the first thirty (30) days and after that everything
you have become accustomed to enjoying is still there, still available for your mouse
to pass over and enter into, except for the wardroom.

Officer’s are special in the real Navy … why not in a sub sim?

So after the first 30 days you can join other skippers in the wardroom

$2.50 cents a month for Silent Hunter IV and same charge for Silent Hunter III
$25 a year saves you $5.00
You can do the math times (500) members right?
Okay, you can’t ($12,500) a year

You can have your own avatar or for a small charge a custom avatar to chose from,
regular members retain the avatar’s now available.

There are no questions without your own answers …
In other words this is a presentation …
You can answer your own questions, because I am only doing this to get you started.

This presentation is subject to change, subject to rejection or to improve on with the kind of creative staff I have seen here at subsim.com

I have faith, hope and love for the continued success of subsim.com

Your turn gentleman …

Mush Martin
02-26-07, 09:07 PM
OOOOOOOOO I like it...I like it....I like it....I like it...I like it :rock: :rock:
Maybe something simple like Pacific Wolves??? :arrgh!: :()1: :ahoy:

Pac wolves

Pit
02-26-07, 10:21 PM
Well... I for one would like it...even with a membership fee...

I truly enjoyed what the WPL was and what it at first was... I stopped participating in the WPL when it became full of "cry babies"!!!! Unfortunatley it changed a LOT by the time I had came back from overseas. BUT the CORE folks in it were kind of a life line for me!! I would LOVE to have another group like and with those folks... you all know who your were!!! :rock:

Pit
03-04-07, 03:09 AM
So what is the consensus??

geetrue
03-04-07, 11:18 AM
So what is the consensus??

Sometimes when I pray to God ... He says, "What's in it for me"?

I think that's what's going on ... :p

We don't want to run everybody off, but yet at the same time a lot
of people are skating for free ... :yep:

CCIP
03-04-07, 01:02 PM
I still don't quite get what it is you guys are trying to obtain here. A separate donator-only clubhouse?

Would work fine, but is it really neccesary?

Sailor Steve
03-04-07, 06:25 PM
"FRED".:rotfl: CCIP that's great!:rock:

No, I agree that Silent Hunter 4 works just fine.